ARCHIVED: Godvian Independence Referendum

Johanness

TNPer
The Sytariot Prophet:
The Sytariot Prophet

Breaking News
An Independent Godvia?

More than a month after the terrorist group C'tyals Godalesn Aostenc "The independent Godvian State" has launched an attack in Fairport, Godvia, the Sytariot Executive Department has blocked the independence referendum for Godvia.

Causing outrage in the streets of Mayview, Protestors run around carrying "Independence" signs in the Godvian State Commission Building
e22893.gif
e22893.gif
e22893.gif
e22893.gif
e22893.gif
e22893.gif
e22893.gif
e22893.gif

The Government and the Godvian State Governor have said nothing about these issues, but the Latvenne Governor, a state below Godvia has accused him of supporting the independence riots.
The Secretary of the Department of Justice has sent requests to other nations to help stop these riots.

Some of the few Godvian people who say "Better together" have been possibly kidnapped and disappeared without another sighting.
e22914.gif
e22914.gif
e22914.gif
e22914.gif
e22914.gif
e22914.gif
e22914.gif
e22914.gif

The question remains... should the Executive Department stop these protests and allow the referendum to happen?

Another attack strikes, but this time, in Latvenne!

Latvenne, the welcoming and peaceful region of Sytarenne that ironically is located below the most violent, Godvia has been ambushed by Godvian Independenists.

The Department of Justice, has arrested more than 500 people for having any suspicions

OOC: O mer god my 100th post :o

Although the Nebulan government condemns the actions taken by Godvian extremists, we feel that the best course of action for peace would be to grant Godvia independence and secure the border immediately.

Note:
The Poll is for "Should the Godvian Independence Referendum?", If it wins THEN the votes will come up

Syrixia hopes the Referendum will take place soon amongst Godvians so they may decide themselves concerning the question of independence, and is happy that one is being considered. However, we condemn the extremist Godvians; attacking and killing does, firstly, not make one's case for independence any better and probably diminishes it, and secondly; is terrible and unnecessary.

Syrixia:
. . . attacking and killing does, firstly, not make one's case for independence any better. . .
But isn't that the way that sort of independence is usually achieved, killing and violence?

Only partly.
Some, including the USA broke into independence through military means.
Others, including Canada and Australia gained independence by political means.
Last (That I can think of), including some former Roman provinces, gain their independence when their national government collapses and local government establishes control.

Ceretis:
Only partly.
Last (That I can think of), including some former Roman provinces, gain their independence when their national government collapses and local government establishes control.
I did say "usually". :)

Canada and Australia were exceptions.

And the Roman provinces "peacefully" gained their independence after the Germanic hordes sacked Rome and the whole Empire split in two--violence by proxy.

Nebula:
Cough cough Soviet Union.
I'll grant you the final dissolution of the USSR proper was relatively peaceful, but the initial breakaway of its vassals--the Baltics, Azerbaijan, etc.-- that precipitated it were not.

Piscivore:
Ceretis:
Only partly.
I did say "usually". :)

Canada and Australia were exceptions.

And the Roman provinces "peacefully" gained their independence after the Germanic hordes sacked Rome and the whole Empire split in two--violence by proxy.
You did say usually. But I was just showing there's more than one way to skin a cat to make an omelet... or something like that. :shifty:

Canada and Australia may be exceptions, but I'll just mention a few other the others (not all of them):
Sealand, Montenegro, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, ?Principality of Seborga, Guyana, Barbados, Bahamas, Grenada, Dominica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Chipas (Now part of Mexico), Palau, Los Altos, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Suriname, Federal Republic of Central America, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Panama, and there are still more... but I digress.

And maybe event the Eastern Roman Empire (Possibly, by means of administrative separation followed by East/West drifting from being 'one.')

Violence by proxy? Not quite. The Western Roman Provinces were not interested in their half of the empire falling and thus their loss of a protective central government.

Now, had all these provinces underhandedly paid the invading tribes to dismantle their government and rape their people and burn their stuff, that would be another story. However, many of these provinces were not directly attacked, nor did they pay for the privilege to be defenseless, nor did they support this. So; not by proxy, but by circumstance.

Back