Festival of the Arts

As Judge I am obligated to eliminate bias and judge impartially, so I wouldn't be worried, but judging by your post I would consult Cascadia.

Syrixia:
As Judge I am obligated to eliminate bias and judge impartially, so I wouldn't be worried, but judging by your post I would consult Cascadia.
Whether you believe you can judge impartially has nothing to do with it. Just look what happened with Funkadelia in flemingovia's R4R. The appearance of impartiality is just as important as the impartiality itself.

Syrixia:
SUBMISSION- COMICS AND GRAPHIC ART

Perspective.png
:rofl:

We need more of that Syrixia!

Darcania:
Syrixia:
Whether you believe you can judge impartially has nothing to do with it. Just look what happened with Funkadelia in flemingovia's R4R. The appearance of impartiality is just as important as the impartiality itself.
Then here's the post wherein I say I'm going to be impartial. I swear to be impartial, totally impartial, and nothing but impartial, so help me Lord R3n.

Syrixia:
Then here's the post wherein I say I'm going to be impartial. I swear to be impartial, totally impartial, and nothing but impartial, so help me Lord R3n.
Again, it doesn't matter. If you declare yourself the winner, or even second or third place, there will most certainly be claims that you were biased, no matter what you say. Again, whether you believe (or state) you can judge impartially has nothing to do with it. Just look what happened with Funkadelia in flemingovia's R4R, where Funk believed and stated that he could judge impartially. The appearance of impartiality is just as important as the impartiality itself.

Darcania:
Wait, whoa. If Syrixia is the judge for comic strips, then why did he submit something under that category? Wouldn't that be kind of an obvious and problematic conflict of interest?
This has already been discussed in the Festival topic in Culture, shortly after the Festival started. I told Syrixia that he may post a comic, but to not give himself an unfair advantage. Syrixia said he would, and I believed him, and that's that. :D

[me]

Cascadia:
This has already been discussed in the Festival topic in Culture, shortly after the Festival started. I told Syrixia that he may post a comic, but to not give himself an unfair advantage. Syrixia said he would, and I believed him, and that's that. :D

Cascadia
Then I'd like to withdraw all of my submissions, not because I believe Syrixia is unfair (far from it), but because I wish to distance myself from what will incredibly likely turn into a drama-fest, just like the R4R I cited.

Cascadia:
Darcania:
Wait, whoa. If Syrixia is the judge for comic strips, then why did he submit something under that category? Wouldn't that be kind of an obvious and problematic conflict of interest?

Cascadia
He might not actively try to give himself an advantage, but might do so unconsciously. That's why we have Conflict of Interest laws; people have underlying biases that can unknowingly come out when making decisions.

Syrixia is not a corrupt person. But he is human like all of us. A oath of impartiality means nothing. It is unfair to those participating to have to be judged by a fellow competitor. I encourage TNPers to not submit work in that category until this is remedied.

Sauceistan:
He might not actively try to give himself an advantage, but might do so unconsciously. That's why we have Conflict of Interest laws; people have underlying biases that can unknowingly come out when making decisions.

Syrixia is not a corrupt person. But he is human like all of us. A oath of impartiality means nothing. It is unfair to those participating to have to be judged by a fellow competitor. I encourage TNPers to not submit work in that category until this is remedied.
I have to agree with this assessment, unperceivable bias will exist whether or not you want it to. It is most certainly a conflict of interest in that category for the judge to submit work and I call with all due respect upon the management of this festival or for Syrixia himself to withdraw his submission from the category he judges. A submission to any other category would be fine.

I have to agree with the others that I've never heard of a contest such as this where the judge was an entrant. If Syrixia wants to be an entrant I would be happy to judge that category in his stead.

Well, it's past the 30th and nothing about that was changed, so it looks like we're stuck with this. If it was fixed behind the scenes, it's too late, because nobody can submit to that category anymore.

I don't want my entry to have been drawn in vain and I see the reasoning behind some of this. It makes sense. I hereby resign my judge's spot and leave it open for new appointment by Cascadia. For my last act as Judge, I hereby extend the deadline for the comics/graphic art category to June 2nd.

Syrixia, I respect your decision to resign. This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. This was meant to be fun, guys! :cry:

Voting by the judges will hereby begin. All category judges must have their pick by next Monday, with the exception of Comics/Graphic Art. That category will be extended by three days, by next Thursday. Is there any nominations for the new Comic/Graphic Art Judge?

Sorry for the delay in ending the submission period.

[me]

Syrixia:
I nominate Darcania.
That would be hard because he does not have access to the Culture HQ, but I could make it work. :D

Any other nominations? If not, Darcania will be the new Judge.

[me]

Cascadia:
Syrixia:
I nominate Darcania.
That would be hard because she does not have access to the Culture HQ, but I could make it work. :D

Cascadia
Darcy is a SHE? I always thought he was a he.

Bootsie:
Cascadia:
Syrixia:
I nominate Darcania.
That would be hard because she does not have access to the Culture HQ, but I could make it work. :D

Cascadia
:rofl: He is a he. That was a typo. Sorry, Darc.

Fixed

[me]

Cascadia:
Bootsie:
Cascadia:
Syrixia:
I nominate Darcania.

Cascadia
:rofl: He is a he. That was a typo. Sorry, Darc.

Fixed

Cascadia
:rofl:

Syrixia:
Mr Insanity:
Syrixia:
SUBMISSION- COMICS AND GRAPHIC ART

Perspective.png
LOL. Guess Syrixia either not have any knowledgeable or not giving any damn about my nation?

Aswell about the Syrixia one, you should said one of the major regional power not is the major regional power? (Unless that what most of the nations think in The North Pacific, I been honestly I don't think your nation is the major regional power but a major regional power.) Anyway, still awesome work.
Polandball comics are supposed to have bad english dialogue. The US, UK, and the Commonwealth nations are the exceptions and speak proper english.

Thanks for being confused :lol:
Oh I see now, LOL.

Your welcome.

(P.S.: I can't really said much me because my english and grammar ain't that good beside I have learning difficult.)

Sorry that I have not posted the winning pieces yet. I have decided to wait until the deadline for Comics on Thursday.

[me]

Here are the winners! If you won, be sure to take one of the trophies above for your sig.

For Drawings/Paintings (Nesunno):

College Work (36) by Mr Insanity

For Comic Strips/Graphic Art (Nessuno):

Perspective by Syrixia.

For Flag/Coat of Arms (Cascadia):

The Flag of The Lancerian empire by Yrkidding

For Photographs (Malvad):

Yrkidding's photo of Toronto

For Music/Video (RPI):

Hiskjriaana's String Quartet in D Major

Literature (Bootsie) will be making a separate announcement.

Thanks,

[me]

I will certainly be displaying my trophy in my Awards section! This festival was very fun and I hope we do it again and again!

Cascadia:
Here are the winners! If you won, be sure to take one of the trophies above for your sig.

For Drawings/Paintings (Nesunno):

College Work (36) by Mr Insanity

For Comic Strips/Graphic Art (Nessuno):

Perspective by Syrixia.

For Flag/Coat of Arms (Cascadia):

The Flag of The Lancerian empire by Yrkidding

For Photographs (Malvad):

Yrkidding's photo of Toronto

For Music/Video (RPI):

Hiskjriaana's String Quartet in D Major

Literature (Bootsie) will be making a separate announcement.

Thanks,

Cascadia
Thank you and your welcome. I hope we could do this again?

I'm glad you all liked it. It certainly was not on schedule, but that is something we can work on next time... *hint hint*

[me]

Cascadia:
I'm glad you all liked it. It certainly was not on schedule, but that is something we can work on next time... *hint hint*

Cascadia
Maybe can we do this like every month or something like that?

Mr Insanity:
Cascadia:

Cascadia
Sure, if everyone wants to.

[me]

Cascadia:
Mr Insanity:
Cascadia:

Cascadia
Sure, if everyone wants to.

Cascadia
Why not.

Maybe next time with more publicity in TNP.

Hello everyone!

It's Bootsie, your Literature judge, here with the classified results of the Literature Category!

Before I announce the results, I want to explain how the winners were chosen and why. When you take the ACT or SAT, you usually have more than one reader grading your essay, and their scores are weighted, averaged, and then given back as your score. This is precisely what I did, and so your scores are not subject to bias by myself, since I'm countered by two others who are weighted. So, here are your judges and their weighting:

Reader #1: Bootsie - The North Pacific (50%) Me. I was appointed. Nuf said.

Reader #2: ChurchofSatan - The Rejected Realms (20%) CoS was selected because he had some experience helping out with literature homework, in addition to taking literature courses himself.

Reader #3: Hugsim - Wintreath (30%) Hugsim enjoys literature and had a blast reading almost all of the pieces, and if he didn't, well, you can tell.

So, after we had our judges, I asked them to rate them 1-9 (a version of the AP scale) and used a special formula to weigh their scores and mine to rank them into our top eight. Finally, after that long ramble, here are our winners:

Chanabell - Darcania: 1st Place

The judges loved Chanabell for its originality and personality. Even though neither of the guest judges knew who wrote the piece, it was quite evident that they felt connected to the piece and we are honored to name you as the winner of the Literature Category. Please, accept this banner:

FOTA_Winner.png

August 3, 2026 - Piscivore: 2nd Place

First, I personally have to say reading that was like reading a book. I had to read that thing in portions given its length in comparison to the other pieces. However, despite its length, it was the only piece to receive a perfect score from one of the judges. Fanfiction is a fun genre to write in, Piscivore, and if you haven't joined a site like that already, you might want to here. You are hereby named the First Runner-up and your banner is below:

FOTA_Second.png

And The War Raged On Around Him - Yrkidding: 3rd Place

The piece was solid, a good-read, and an overall honor to judge. Good job on your writing and please accept this banner for being Second Runner-up:

FOTA_Third.png

For everyone who did not win, you can see your ranking here and please accept this participant banner for your participation and writing:

FOTA_Participant.png

Thank you very much to all the judges for running the festival! In addition, thank you to the judges that picked my work :P I'd love to participate in future Festivals.

Bootsie:
Hello everyone!

It's Bootsie, your Literature judge, here with the classified results of the Literature Category!

August 3, 2026 - Piscivore: 2nd Place

First, I personally have to say reading that was like reading a book. I had to read that thing in portions given its length in comparison to the other pieces. However, despite its length, it was the only piece to receive a perfect score from one of the judges. Fanfiction is a fun genre to write in, Piscivore, and if you haven't joined a site like that already, you might want to here. You are hereby named the First Runner-up and your banner is below:

FOTA_Second.png
Thanks. I'm glad the judges liked it, I was pretty pleased with it when I finished.

Fun Fact: I was composing a note expressing my appreciation for Mr. Bradbury's body of work to send to him with this story on the day he died.

Darcania withdrew his submission a while back. I do not think he will want to accept the first place award.

[me]

Cascadia:
Darcania withdrew his submission a while back. I do not think he will want to accept the first place award.
Indeed, I notified Bootsie on IRC yesterday. I would have loved to resubmit all four pieces of my work, but the submission period ended before the whole deal with Syrixia was resolved. I'm glad to see that I would have won first place, though.

Sorry for the clerical error. Without Darcania's submissions, the runner-ups shift up one and Giqvista's Vagabond is now Second Runner-up.

Bootsie:
Sorry for the clerical error. Without Darcania's submissions, the runner-ups shift up one and Giqvista's Vagabond is now Second Runner-up.
As far as I'm concerned the award should stand. Technicalities and rules shouldn't get in the way of celebrating skill and art.

Piscivore:
As far as I'm concerned the award should stand. Technicalities and rules shouldn't get in the way of celebrating skill and art.
In the end, it's up to Cascadia. Though I would prefer that it's announced publicly so we all know. I would also prefer that the banners are shrunk so the winners can display them in their signatures without having to spoiler them.

Darcania:
Piscivore:
In the end, it's up to Cascadia. Though I would prefer that it's announced publicly so we all know. I would also prefer that the banners are shrunk so the winners can display them in their signatures without having to spoiler them.
They are hard to read, but here.

FOTA_Participant.png
- Participant

FOTA_Third.png
- Third

FOTA_Second.png
- Second

FOTA_Winner.png
- Winner
If Darcania removed his work, it should not have been considered to win. It was a simple error and it has been resolved, all of the positions moved up.

[me]

And so now it has been resolved.

And by "shrunk", I didn't mean just resizing them. Anyone can do that, and, as you said, it makes the words hard to read. Which would be fine if there were distinct differences between the awards, but the only differences are the words. I meant changing the layout or design such that they're easily identifiable even when they're small.

Back