Festival of the Arts

Benolia

TNPer
-
moce-seal.png

The Festival of the Arts

Hello TNPers!

I am [me], the Minister of Culture. I have recently announced that the Culture Ministry will host a Festival, showcasing the talented artists and writers of The North Pacific. So now, without further ado, the Ministry of Culture presents; The Festival of the Arts!

Anyone may participate by submitting any work (music, writing, artwork, etc.) they wish to showcase in the Festival, although inappropriate works will be taken down. Just post the work in the comments below, and after the submission period is over, your work will be separated into categories and the chosen judges for each category (See the below spoiler) will each picking a work from their appointed categories. The winning piece may be showcased in this topic, and the winner will get a trophy to display in their signature. A week for submissions will be followed by three days of sorting and selecting from the submissions.

Below is a list off all the categories of art that may be submitted, followed by the categories judge.

Drawings/Paintings: Nesunno

Comic Strips/Graphic Art: Nessuno (Previously Syrixia)

Flag/Coat of Arms: Cascadia

Photographs: Malvad

Literature: Bootsie

Music/Video: RPI
trophy_DP2.png

trophy_FC.png

trophy_GA.png

trophy_P.png

MVid.png

Thank you,

[me]

My submission for drawings/paintings are:
  • If I could submit all my drawings/paintings on my deviantart account (Except the inappropriate drawings/paintings.), so here the link: http://j-r-m-n-k-e.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ .
  • If not, can I submit an drawing of my fursona, Mr Insanity:
    psychotic_solider__by_j_r_m_n_k_e-d8r6zf4.jpg
  • Also, can I submit an one of my college work (painting):
    my_college_work__23__by_j_r_m_n_k_e-d8jksrt.jpg
My submission for comic strips/graphic arts are:
  • If again I could submit all my comic strips/graphic arts on my deviantart account (Except the inappropriate comic strips/graphic arts.), so here the link: http://j-r-m-n-k-e.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ .
  • If not, can I submit an one of my college work (graphic arts):
    my_college_work__13___japanese__by_j_r_m_n_k_e-d89lsfy.jpg

(Japanese) and
    my_college_work__13___english__by_j_r_m_n_k_e-d89lst1.jpg

(English). (I'm sure this is graphic art?)
My submission for flag/coat of arms are:
  • Can I submit my political flag:
    this_is_my_political_flag__by_j_r_m_n_k_e-d7pobec.png
  • Can I submit my political emblem:
    this_is_my_political_emblem__by_j_r_m_n_k_e-d7pxuj9.png
My submission for photographs are:
  • If again I could submit all my photographs arts on my deviantart account (Except the inappropriate photographs.), so here the link: http://j-r-m-n-k-e.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ .
  • If not, can I submit an one of my photographs I done in Pattaya, Thailand:
    sanctuary_of_truth_in_pattaya__thailand__28__by_j_r_m_n_k_e-d6e4u5l.jpg
My submission for music/video are:

Nets:
Cascadia:
Nets:
When does this Art festival end?
May 30, or one week from today.

Cascadia

Alright, I might make a Polandball comic.
Oh snap, Syrixia can into of competition! I will of wipings floor with yuo und takings home trophy, otherwise yuo will of receivings anschluss with side of red rum!

Darcania:
I have three submissions, one for drawings/paintings and two for literature.

Paper Cranes

I've folded a thousand paper cranes, but
I've never finished one of them.
I can fold one.
Within each unfinished crane
I can fold a thousand different constructions.

I've folded a million paper cranes, but
I can draw on one.
Within each piece of paper
I can see a thousand different drawings.

I've folded a billion paper cranes, but
I can see into one.
Within every blank slate
I can visit a thousand different worlds.

I've folded a trillion paper cranes, but
I hold in my hands a single one.
I fold and I fold:
I can't finish a single paper crane.

I've never folded any paper cranes, and
I'll never finish one of them.
Chanabell

Who’s Chanabell? Everyone knows about Chanabell, dear. He’s the reason our town’s so prosperous, thanks to the tourists he attracts. He’s a misunderstood creature. He’ll kill us all one day, I swear it. I’ve got this feeling in my gut about this lake, as if I’m not the only one in it when I go boating….

He looked up across the border between worlds at her. Who was this human? All the locals wouldn’t dare to approach the lake, despite the dearth of evidence to his presence. Any natural philosopher could tell that no creature lived in the lake. They studied the lake, searched for every sign of life. They concluded that only algae and bacteria lived in the lake. He never existed. A prisoner has no right to exist.

She looked down into the creature’s eyes. No matter how many times she spoke with him, her awe never faded. She looked again at his slits of pupils, at the scales covering his body, at the powerful tail. His only flaw, which she never failed to notice, was his wings, which looked so weak. She attempted again to pierce through his wall, asking him of a subject she knew he avoided. Why are you here? she asked.

She had seen him, he knew it. She looked down, straight into his eyes, her fear evident. He had let his curiosity rule him. He dove back down to the bottom of the lake and remained there for the next several days.
No, don’t go to the lake, they would say, but she never listened to them. She remembered the first time she visited the lake. They regaled their children about the monster in the lake, and they speculated about the monster in the lake, but she knew they weren’t right. There was no monster in that lake.

Another boat passed by overhead, alone. He watched it pass, felt the water shift as the boat cut through the lake. In a single practiced movement, he cracked the boat in two. The creatures inside, loud as they were, would settle his sharp pangs of hunger. Another boat would be lost to the lake.

I’m glad you waited for me. Your wings look much better today, so perfect. You could have left without me, but you stayed with me. You stayed with me. I wasn’t there for you for so long, but I knew you would stay with me. You’ve never let me down. We’ve been friends for so long, why would you leave me?

The girl had been gone for months now. He listened carefully at the edges of his prison. He heard two humans, a male and a female, conversing. The depth of his prison increased from the tears that fell that day.

She had a dream of Chanabell. She pierced the barrier between their worlds, dove under the waters of the lake. He, prideful Chanabell, allowed her to swim with him. Oh, the time they had together. She shed a tear into the clean white sheet as she fell into a deeper sleep.

He regretted leaving her behind. His wings had finally recovered after so many years, and he wasted no time escaping his prison. Freedom was more valuable to him than she was. He discarded their time together. She wasn’t worth waiting in his prison. She was only an acquaintance, only human.

He returned to the lake one last time before he died. He had lived a full life, the life he should have lived, and did live. He landed weakly on the shore of the lake, watching the water rise and fall. The city that had grown so attached to his presence had faded away; not even a small settlement remained. Nobody would live in such a disgraceful location. In its place were simple ruins. The shape of the lake had changed; over time, even water can change the face of the earth. He rested his head down as his long life left his lungs. He saw a grave, scratched and worn. It was her grave. Her soul escaped its earthly prison when he escaped his watery prison.
Both literature entries pass my check. Both are original pieces of work and show no signs of plagiarism.

[me]
Literature Judge

[/img]https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/413224_3547263276095_855367320_o.jpg[/img]
(This picture is of Toronto, Canada looking off my balcony towards downtown during a thunderstorm. The flash in the cloud is lightning and you can also see the CN Tower light up in the bottom right. The tower that appears taller closer to the middle is just a communications tower that is near where I live.)

H0Hhzie.jpg
(The wavy version is visible on my nation's page.)

In addition, I have PM'd Bootsie with my literature submission.

Darcania:
I have three submissions, one for drawings/paintings and two for literature.

Paper Cranes

I've folded a thousand paper cranes, but
I can fold one.
Within each unfinished crane
I can fold a thousand different constructions.

I've folded a million paper cranes, but
I can draw on one.
Within each piece of paper
I can see a thousand different drawings.

I've folded a billion paper cranes, but
I can see into one.
Within every blank slate
I can visit a thousand different worlds.

I've folded a trillion paper cranes, but
I hold in my hands a single one.
I fold and I fold:
I can't finish a single paper crane.

I've never folded any paper cranes, and
I'll never finish one of them.
Chanabell

Who’s Chanabell? Everyone knows about Chanabell, dear. He’s the reason our town’s so prosperous, thanks to the tourists he attracts. He’s a misunderstood creature. He’ll kill us all one day, I swear it. I’ve got this feeling in my gut about this lake, as if I’m not the only one in it when I go boating….

He looked up across the border between worlds at her. Who was this human? All the locals wouldn’t dare to approach the lake, despite the dearth of evidence to his presence. Any natural philosopher could tell that no creature lived in the lake. They studied the lake, searched for every sign of life. They concluded that only algae and bacteria lived in the lake. He never existed. A prisoner has no right to exist.

She looked down into the creature’s eyes. No matter how many times she spoke with him, her awe never faded. She looked again at his slits of pupils, at the scales covering his body, at the powerful tail. His only flaw, which she never failed to notice, was his wings, which looked so weak. She attempted again to pierce through his wall, asking him of a subject she knew he avoided. Why are you here? she asked.

She had seen him, he knew it. She looked down, straight into his eyes, her fear evident. He had let his curiosity rule him. He dove back down to the bottom of the lake and remained there for the next several days.
No, don’t go to the lake, they would say, but she never listened to them. She remembered the first time she visited the lake. They regaled their children about the monster in the lake, and they speculated about the monster in the lake, but she knew they weren’t right. There was no monster in that lake.

Another boat passed by overhead, alone. He watched it pass, felt the water shift as the boat cut through the lake. In a single practiced movement, he cracked the boat in two. The creatures inside, loud as they were, would settle his sharp pangs of hunger. Another boat would be lost to the lake.

I’m glad you waited for me. Your wings look much better today, so perfect. You could have left without me, but you stayed with me. You stayed with me. I wasn’t there for you for so long, but I knew you would stay with me. You’ve never let me down. We’ve been friends for so long, why would you leave me?

The girl had been gone for months now. He listened carefully at the edges of his prison. He heard two humans, a male and a female, conversing. The depth of his prison increased from the tears that fell that day.

She had a dream of Chanabell. She pierced the barrier between their worlds, dove under the waters of the lake. He, prideful Chanabell, allowed her to swim with him. Oh, the time they had together. She shed a tear into the clean white sheet as she fell into a deeper sleep.

He regretted leaving her behind. His wings had finally recovered after so many years, and he wasted no time escaping his prison. Freedom was more valuable to him than she was. He discarded their time together. She wasn’t worth waiting in his prison. She was only an acquaintance, only human.

He returned to the lake one last time before he died. He had lived a full life, the life he should have lived, and did live. He landed weakly on the shore of the lake, watching the water rise and fall. The city that had grown so attached to his presence had faded away; not even a small settlement remained. Nobody would live in such a disgraceful location. In its place were simple ruins. The shape of the lake had changed; over time, even water can change the face of the earth. He rested his head down as his long life left his lungs. He saw a grave, scratched and worn. It was her grave. Her soul escaped its earthly prison when he escaped his watery prison.
Thank you for your submissions. I really liked the two literature submissions, but the second one is my favorite. You also drew a very nice Dragon, as always. Good luck, and I hope the judges consider your work. :D

[me]

Yrkidding:
[/img]https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/413224_3547263276095_855367320_o.jpg[/img]
(This picture is of Toronto, Canada looking off my balcony towards downtown during a thunderstorm. The flash in the cloud is lightning and you can also see the CN Tower light up in the bottom right. The tower that appears taller closer to the middle is just a communications tower that is near where I live.)

H0Hhzie.jpg

I did not receive a submission from you.

Bootsie:
Yrkidding:

H0Hhzie.jpg

I did not receive a submission from you.
Sorry about that, I know :P I intended on PMing you right away with it but I don't have the latest version on this computer. Will get it to you before the deadline. Sorry for the delay!

Hiskjriaana:
I three submissions for music, the first one is a French Horn Concerto in G Major
The next one is a String Quartet in D Major
The last one is a String Quartet in Bb Major
The link to your String Quartet in Bb takes me to an Error 404 page. Would you check that please? I actually love pieces in Bb major, so I'd love it if you could fix it so that I may hear it. :)

Just so everyone in the Literature Category is aware, while I am the Judge, I have designated two non-TNPers from NS to become AP-style readers and will be reading and scoring on 1-9 scale.

Therefore, your final scores will be:

Reader #1 (Me): Raw Score x 0.5

Reader #2: Raw Score x 0.2

Reader #3: Raw Score x 0.3

That way I'm still the judge, and you guys get some non-biased readers. They don't know who you are, and you don't know who they are.

RPI:
Hiskjriaana:
I three submissions for music, the first one is a French Horn Concerto in G Minor
The link to your String Quartet in Bb takes me to an Error 404 page. Would you check that please? I actually love pieces in Bb major, so I'd love it if you could fix it so that I may hear it. :)
I think I may have fixed it; does it work now?

Hiskjriaana:
RPI:
Hiskjriaana:
I three submissions for music, the first one is a French Horn Concerto in G Minor
I think I may have fixed it; does it work now?
It does, thank you. :D

I got one for you Bootsie. For some reference, I had to respond to the prompt "What is that sound?"

A bell rings in the distance. It is faint yet the sound appears easily in the silence. There is a long pause and then the bell pierces the silence again. The tone is harsher this time. Then, at a shorter interval, two bells ring. More bells continue to join in and soon an ensemble of bells rings throughout the once silent air. They continue to ring at multiple octaves and multiple times. The volume increases with every ring and soon reaches a painful climax.
But then the bells fall from their volume. They still ring but every bell rings at once; a pure, defined, singular ring every three beats. A cello enters the ensemble, soon joined by a piano. The music takes hold and the emotion begins to flow across the strings and keys like a river through a valley. The cello and piano move forward as the bells dissipate, replaced by a steady deep-throated thump from a bass drum. Slowly a tension builds within the sound. The cello changes keys while the piano remains undisturbed. The notes clash and chords start fighting for their dominance. The instruments crescendo through the clash but fall back down almost as soon as they reach the top. The piano gives in and switches keys to join the cello.
An orchestra joins the trio of cello, piano, and drum. The music becomes more upbeat. A positive feeling is exerted by the music. The violins suddenly speed forward through notes. The tempo is brought up significantly. The orchestra attempts to resist but follows the violins after a few measures. The basses, however, decide to rebel and stay at the old time. Slow and steady, they play their part. It is soon realized that the two tempos work well together as the parts combine to form a wondrous balance and harmony.
The orchestra begins to fall silent. And as the orchestra disappears from the sound, a band moves up to take its place. The music turns aggressive as the trumpets blast away and accent every note. The notes shorten and the tempo reaches a fast steady peak. The trombones bring in their slides and then force them forward, crushing the notes together with a combination of both pleasurable and agonizing dissidence. The trumpets and trombones try to compete for musical dominance. The trumpets grow ever sharper as the trombones crush notes louder and louder. But the brass dominance only lasts so long.
The brasses discover that they must yield to their woodwind counterparts. They lower their voices and listen intently for the woodwinds takeover. The saxophones appear first, followed hastily by the flutes and clarinets. The low woodwinds join as well but remain at a quiet rhythmic level to maintain the always fluctuating tempo. One instrument remains to enter but solidifies its authority at its entry. A singular oboe joins. The other woodwinds back down and allow the oboe to become the leading voice. The voice moves smoothly and soothes any remaining tension. It leads well and takes the music on a path through feelings of great sadness and strife. The woodwinds decrease their sound even more as the oboe brings out more and more raw emotion. The sound begins to fade and then seems to stop altogether.
The sound, however, is not finished. The whole symphony finally comes together. The band, the orchestra, the bells. All have come to form one glorious unified sound. Each instrument flows together and continues to create the wonderful music each one was made for. The music goes on for a while as uninterrupted happiness. But then the sound collapses. The different parts revert back to their previous music. The bells begin constantly ringing. The cello, piano, and bass drum redo their trio. The violins and basses split the tempo. The trumpets and trombones compete as the music grows painful. The woodwinds attempt to produce emotion through the chaos. The emotion fails to halt the chaos and simply adds to the growing disorder. The music then reaches a breaking point...
And then it stops. The chaos is gone. Only one sound remains. A lone alto horn steps away from the disorder. It slowly begins to play a sound most beautiful. This sound forms the epitome of beauty and tearful joy. The horn does not change tempo. The dynamics flow with the music; the music guides the instrument. And as the music guides the horn to move down, a lone bell enters. It rings loudly. Then it rings once more, but quieter. The horn ceases to release music.
And then the bell rings out once more. The sound fades off into silence. The sound is finished. The glorious sound, the Symphony of Life. It moves as we do and as the world moves around us. It has its ups and downs and of course it is never perfect. But it is what defines us. And only we choose who the director of this wonderful symphony can be. We choose who or what will direct our music, our lives. Only we can decide how our Symphony of Life will move. Only we know what that sound truly is.

Malvad:
I got one for you Bootsie. For some reference, I had to respond to the prompt "What is that sound?"

A bell rings in the distance. It is faint yet the sound appears easily in the silence. There is a long pause and then the bell pierces the silence again. The tone is harsher this time. Then, at a shorter interval, two bells ring. More bells continue to join in and soon an ensemble of bells rings throughout the once silent air. They continue to ring at multiple octaves and multiple times. The volume increases with every ring and soon reaches a painful climax.
But then the bells fall from their volume. They still ring but every bell rings at once; a pure, defined, singular ring every three beats. A cello enters the ensemble, soon joined by a piano. The music takes hold and the emotion begins to flow across the strings and keys like a river through a valley. The cello and piano move forward as the bells dissipate, replaced by a steady deep-throated thump from a bass drum. Slowly a tension builds within the sound. The cello changes keys while the piano remains undisturbed. The notes clash and chords start fighting for their dominance. The instruments crescendo through the clash but fall back down almost as soon as they reach the top. The piano gives in and switches keys to join the cello.
An orchestra joins the trio of cello, piano, and drum. The music becomes more upbeat. A positive feeling is exerted by the music. The violins suddenly speed forward through notes. The tempo is brought up significantly. The orchestra attempts to resist but follows the violins after a few measures. The basses, however, decide to rebel and stay at the old time. Slow and steady, they play their part. It is soon realized that the two tempos work well together as the parts combine to form a wondrous balance and harmony.
The orchestra begins to fall silent. And as the orchestra disappears from the sound, a band moves up to take its place. The music turns aggressive as the trumpets blast away and accent every note. The notes shorten and the tempo reaches a fast steady peak. The trombones bring in their slides and then force them forward, crushing the notes together with a combination of both pleasurable and agonizing dissidence. The trumpets and trombones try to compete for musical dominance. The trumpets grow ever sharper as the trombones crush notes louder and louder. But the brass dominance only lasts so long.
The brasses discover that they must yield to their woodwind counterparts. They lower their voices and listen intently for the woodwinds takeover. The saxophones appear first, followed hastily by the flutes and clarinets. The low woodwinds join as well but remain at a quiet rhythmic level to maintain the always fluctuating tempo. One instrument remains to enter but solidifies its authority at its entry. A singular oboe joins. The other woodwinds back down and allow the oboe to become the leading voice. The voice moves smoothly and soothes any remaining tension. It leads well and takes the music on a path through feelings of great sadness and strife. The woodwinds decrease their sound even more as the oboe brings out more and more raw emotion. The sound begins to fade and then seems to stop altogether.
The sound, however, is not finished. The whole symphony finally comes together. The band, the orchestra, the bells. All have come to form one glorious unified sound. Each instrument flows together and continues to create the wonderful music each one was made for. The music goes on for a while as uninterrupted happiness. But then the sound collapses. The different parts revert back to their previous music. The bells begin constantly ringing. The cello, piano, and bass drum redo their trio. The violins and basses split the tempo. The trumpets and trombones compete as the music grows painful. The woodwinds attempt to produce emotion through the chaos. The emotion fails to halt the chaos and simply adds to the growing disorder. The music then reaches a breaking point...
And then it stops. The chaos is gone. Only one sound remains. A lone alto horn steps away from the disorder. It slowly begins to play a sound most beautiful. This sound forms the epitome of beauty and tearful joy. The horn does not change tempo. The dynamics flow with the music; the music guides the instrument. And as the music guides the horn to move down, a lone bell enters. It rings loudly. Then it rings once more, but quieter. The horn ceases to release music.
And then the bell rings out once more. The sound fades off into silence. The sound is finished. The glorious sound, the Symphony of Life. It moves as we do and as the world moves around us. It has its ups and downs and of course it is never perfect. But it is what defines us. And only we choose who the director of this wonderful symphony can be. We choose who or what will direct our music, our lives. Only we can decide how our Symphony of Life will move. Only we know what that sound truly is.
You have a preferred name? If not, "Bells" will be given as a title for the readers.

I'd like to make a poetry submission for literature.

There he sat with a record playing
From a time of much less hating.
And the bombs fell down behind him.
And the rain beat down above him.

Yet there he sat in his room,
was once a happy groom.
But the panzers had taken Her
In Her coat of fur.
Given a wound not to heal,
From 50 mils of steel.

The jeeps roared by like lions
with the distant sound of sirens.
One drove across his land
for a lost and degeated man.

They then burst in the front door
breaking Her vase and then more...
And he sat there with a picture
Taken of his darling lover.
The soldier pulled out his Luger
Aimed and pulled the trigger.

But the record still played behind him.
And the Germans went on despite him.
For the country must fall for Himm.
And the War Raged On Around Him.

NOTE: Since my English teacher in high school didn't get this, Himm is supposed to be short for Heinrich Himmler.

Yrkidding:
I'd like to make a poetry submission for literature.

There he sat with a record playing
From a time of much less hating.
And the bombs fell down behind him.
And the rain beat down above him.

Yet there hes at in his room,
was once a happy groom.
But the panzers had taken Her
In Her coat of fur.
Given a wound not to heal,
From 50 mils of steel.

The jeeps roared by like lions
with the distant sound of sirens.
One drove across his land
for a lost and degeated man.

They then burst in the front door
breaking Her vase and then more...
And he sat there with a picture
Taken of his darling lover.
The soldier pulled out his Luger
Aimed and pulled the trigger.

But the record still played behind him.
And the Germans went on despite him.
For the country must fall for Himm.
And the War Raged On Around Him.

NOTE: Since my English teacher in high school didn't get this, Himm is supposed to be short for Heinrich Himmler.
I like it!

It is kind of sad though. :(

[me]

Submission for Literature:

Rite of Passage, Disregarded
by Piscivore

It's too cold to be out here, especially at this hour. The sun ain't even up yet, why are we? Five in the morning and I'm not in bed, I'm crouched in some stupid forest so I can watch my Dad and lunatic Uncle blow away innocent animals. Look at him! Dad looks like he thinks he's on safari. I can just see him, with his hair and mustache all white, bragging about things he's killed; "Yes, the tiger is a nice prize, but I'm especially proud of this deer I bagged in the Jungles of Ohio." In a stuffy voice, of course. one that sounds like he has to go to the bathroom, but is too classy to actually shit. It's like the time he took me horse riding, the way he strutted around the stables getting in the real cowboys' way like he wanted to be John Wayne organizing a posse or something. He's always dragging me along on these things, like a fifteen year old guy ain't got anything to do. I got things to do, like Ellen. With me up here in the boontillies for two weeks she's probably OWWW! What the hell'd he elbow me for? Oh, a squirrel. Big thrill Dad, we have those back home. Uncle Ralph's dipping into his "magic potion" again. His son Billy and I found out last year what the magic was. Blackberry brandy laced with coffee. I knew when to quit, but Billy got so wasted he passed out in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. He was sitting next to Great-grandma when he just dropped over on the floor, and she said if he was that sleepy he should get up to bed. He really got a whipping that time. Dad didn't whip me, though. I wonder why not; he must have known I'd had some too, he must've smelled it. I guess he must've figured I was smart enough not to get plastered so I was doin' all right. Ralph whips his kids for everything. One time he even whipped Debby for coming home late and she's almost eighteen. I think Billy's gonna hit him back one day. I wouldn't do that for anything, man. Uncle Ralph is big. There's a story at the fibreglass factory where he works about how one of the delivery trucks, one of the big ones, tipped over making a corner and Ralph and two other guys put it back. No way would I piss off Uncle Ralph. I wonder if they'd notice if I closed my eyes for a second or two...

Somebody must be getting up, I can hear somebody crunching the forest junk on the ground. Good, I can stretch, finally. That's better, squatting on the ground for three hours, feels good to stand up JESUS! Look at those deer running away! They're HUGE! Why didn't Ralph blast 'em, that's what we're out here for ain't it? He's just watching 'em go. Uhoh, now he's glaring at me!

"What the Hell you stand up for, boy? You scared them deer off 'fore Ah could even aim! You got shite fer brains?"

"Take it easy, Ralph, he probably didn't know they were there. We're not as used to this as you are."

"Yeah, well that's the last time he comes huntin' with me, Fred. At's all Ah gotta say. Yor mah brudder, but Ah don' gotta take yor boy."

Whew. I got outta that one alive. Uncle Ralph is stomping off towards the road like somebody wrecked his car or something. Dad's following him, slower though. He's probably pissed to. We get in the car to drive home and they both sit in the front seat like I was a leper or something. Dad only turns around once and it don't look like he's angry, more like he's sad. Like he's disappointed.

Earthworms
by Piscivore

Earthworms in the garden
Earthworms in the shed
Earthworms crawling round inside my achin' head

Earthworms in the bathroom
Earthworms in the hall
Earthworms on the telephone, but I won't take the call.

The earthworms are all watching me,
Just beyond the door,
The earthworms got a colony beneath my kitchen floor.

The earthworms on the TV,
The earthworms run the show.
The earthworms are after me.
The earthworms know I know.

The earthworms are waiting patiently
The earthworms have the time
The earthworms are just waiting for that final sign.

When they put me in the pine box,
When I cash it in,
The earthworms know that that is when the party will begin.

THE BOOGER SONG!
by Piscivore

They won't let me pick
the boogers from my nose
and they'd never ever let me
scrape the goo from 'tween my toes

Now I've got a crusty booger
and I cannot knock it loose
'though I rub and scrunch and wiggle
my nose at any excuse

I even used a Kleenex
when I tried to blow it out
but it's wedged in very tightly
up the left side of my snout

I've tried hard to get rid of it
and I know it isn't fair
that it's up there, warm and squishy
clinging to my nostril hair

But, I do not pick it
'though I've suffered with it for so long
I must keep my booger in my nose
'Cause they say picking it is wrong

August 3, 2026
by Piscivore

This is a prequel I wrote to Bradbury’s "August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains" (1950). We were discussing the story in one of my college classes when I realized that my daughter and son will be about the right age in 2026 to have a family similar to the one described in that work.

It was only Monday afternoon, and already the work week seemed too long. Mr. McClellan plugged away at the numbers that scrolled across his monitor, only half understanding the significance of them. Once, long ago when he was first hired, he questioned his supervisor about it. He had been fresh out of college and eager, and wanted to show willing. What are these forms we keep filling out? He’d asked. What do they mean? Featherstone took him aside and quietly, very quietly, explained that asking questions could get the whole department sacked. Their jobs, Featherstone said, were created by an obscure government regulation passed decades ago. Some congressman had thought it would be a good idea to have human oversight over certain business transactions. Military transactions. Or maybe he just wanted to funnel some tax money into his home state. Whatever the reason, the law had passed, people were hired, salaries got paid, people were happy. Then many years later, what with the political situation and all, the law expired without anyone noticing- at least, anyone with an interest in cutting several thousand salaries out of the industry’s bottom line. McClellan wasn’t going to be the one to kill the golden goose, so he did his grinding with the rest of them. Eventually Featherstone moved up, and McClellan moved up too. It was another part of that law, if you stayed at your job, passed the security clearances, didn’t crack up or make a fuss or take too many pills you were promoted. You still did the same job, but you got a little more money and you showed the new people what to do. A lot of people didn’t make it; the tedium could get to you.

It didn’t get to McClellan. He didn’t really live till he got home.

Anyway, it was Monday afternoon and there was something stirring in his mind, something making him uneasy. He surreptitiously checked his roster for his fantasy team again, but it was doing well. The gamble he took making Jürgen his starting center was staring to pay off. Somehow he wasn’t as happy about that as he thought he would be. He resumed his data entry, and gradually noticed that certain transactions he routinely made were no longer coming up. No orders to China had been shipped all day, or to India or a half-dozen other places. He typed up a quick email to Featherstone, asking if something was wrong. He hesitated to send it, but no, he should. He was in a position of responsibility now.

The reply came back immediately. “See Me”. He hoped he hadn’t killed the golden goose.

“McClellan.” Featherstone said. His voice sounded empty, hollow somehow. “I suppose you’ve been following the news.”

He hadn’t. It was depressing. All that politics stuff was none of his business anyway. “A little, I guess.”

“Why don’t you go home for the day. Spend this time with your family.”

“Ah, sure. If that’s okay. See you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, tomorrow. Let’s hope. Goodbye, George.”

He rode the electric train home. Even though he lived at the very edge of the city, the train still went practically to his door. He waited while the security system biometrically scanned him before letting him in. The kids complained, but better safe than sorry. His wife was in the living room, status updating a few dozen friends and playing Diva Star. Her social points were plus green several points on all the profiles he saw, and her avatar was wearing those Skank® boots she had been trying to win. Someone had a good day. He kissed her head and said so.

“Yeah, and basically all I did was say how sick I was hearing about that whole tragedy thing in Mongolia or where the fuck ever. Struck a nerve I guess.”

“Are those new friends? How many is that, plus a hundred?”

“Hundred fourteen.”

“Good for you. How’s the kids?”

“In their rooms. Their games dropped today so they’re gone till dinner. Hey, you’re early.” She looked at him finally.

“Featherstone sent me home. Some problem with some of the orders.”

“You’re not…”

“No, I think he just needs some space to clear things up.”

“Okay. Good. Okay.” She turned back to her screens. “Love you.”

“You too.”

He went to the study and logged on. He shot quick PMs to the kids, how was school, the usual dad stuff. Good dad. Homework done? Dad, raiding! Satisfied, he went to join his own game. He spent a few minutes looking for his guild until he realized that it was several hours at least before the scheduled mission. He tried running a solo quest, but it just wasn’t as much fun. After a couple of hours he logged off the game and sighed. He considered looking at some porn, but it didn’t seem right with the kids still awake. With nothing better to do, he started rummaging through his junk mail folder to see if anything interesting got dumped there by the filter software. He was glad he did, because nestled between the usual penis pill ads and Arkansas scams he found a few from his mother, using an old email address that wasn’t compliant with the new protocols. He’d have to explain that to her again. They were the usual “hi, how are you” and “hug the kids” and one “haven’t heard from you” that stung him. He sent her a quick reply, chiding her for the technical error and promising they’d see her soon. The last message had some digitized photos attached, which he guessed is what got her addy kicked to junk in the first place. They were old, really old, from when he was a baby and later. Some were of the trips his grandparents used to take the family on- the beach in San Diego, the Alamo, camping in the woods. He remembered those trips fondly, and it stung again that he hadn’t thought of his grandparents much lately, either.

He was lost in thought when his monitor and his phone simultaneously alerted him “Six o’clock, time for dinner”. He checked the family calendar- Lydia, Peter and Wendy had all overridden dinner and chose to eat at their desks. He almost selected the same, by habit, but then he used his admin authority to clear their overrides. The last time he had done so was when his father had died, he hoped it wouldn’t worry them but he really wanted to see their faces tonight.

Lydia met him at the door to his study.

“OMG, what’s wrong?” she said, terrified. “You got fired, why didn’t you tell me?”

“No, it’s nothing like that.” Peter and Wendy were there now, too. “I just thought we could eat together tonight.”

“Oh. Well… sure, it’ll be fun.” She said, supportive, but puzzled.

“But I have to harvest oats for my ponies in thirteen minutes,” said Wendy.

“Your ponies will be fine without oats for a while, kiddo, listen to your father.”

“Hrmph.” She stomped off to the dining room in that way only little girls under ten can pull off.

Lydia hugged him. “You okay?

“Yeah. I got some email from Mom, old pictures. Made me kinda sad.”

“Aw, you big sap. Okay, let’s have an old fashioned family dinner.”

They walked into the dining room, where the ‘bots had just laid out steaming spinach lasagna. Peter’s nose wrinkled, disgusted. This wasn’t right.

“No, you know what, no. We’re going to do something new. Something you kids’ve never done. Peter, Wendy, go grab some blankets. Lyd, gather up some of these plates and cups and stuff. Silverware.”

He went to the kitchen. “Is dad gone nuts?” he heard Peter ask as he left.

The “kitchen” wasn’t a room like his parent’s house had. It was a freezer/pantry that only the ‘bots got into. All the food came from the store delivered, prepackaged and mostly precooked. The AI in the microwave warmed it up and the little Asimos served it. No one in the family had an eating disorder so the door wasn’t locked in any serious way, nevertheless a red light blinked and he got a number of insistent messages on his phone. He was probably violating a few warranties and his user’s agreements with the grocery store and the appliance company. He’d worry about that tomorrow. He found sealed Mylar envelopes labeled “Bread, Enriched White, Sliced” and “Turkey, Precooked, Pressed Loaf, Sliced” and “Lettuce, Iceberg, Leaf”. He filled his arms with bagged tomatoes and cheese and onion and chips and condiments. No one put logos or anything on the packages anymore, he noticed. All the ordering was done online, and robots don’t read ads.

Carefully balancing his load, he met the family in the hall. “Outside!” He said, like guild leader ordering his companions to battle.

Peter opened the door and they carried their respective burdens to the neat, robot-cut lawn. The dog appeared, snuffling around to see what was up.

“Kids, spread that blanket out on the grass.”

“OMG, are we having a picnic?!” Lydia squealed. “I haven’t done that since I was a little girl!” Delighted, she showed Wendy how to set the places while Peter helped him sort the loot. The boys tore into the envelopes, laying out the components for sandwich crafting. They had fun making sandwiches, and putting them together themselves was sheer novelty for the kids. The dog got in the way and everyone laughed and fed him turkey slices. Lydia ran in to get bottles of pop and came back instead with a pitcher of instant lemonade she mixed herself. They were the only people outside; the rest of the houses they could see were already buttoned up tight against the approaching dark.

As they ate, he told the kids the stories the photos had brought back to him. No, the woods weren’t anything like the Forest of Elfhaven, first, you could smell the trees- they smelled good, really good; deep and old and piney, you don’t even know. One time, a blue jay landed as close to me as you are. Your uncle had a pinecone collection.

The sun descended closer to the horizon, bathing the yard, the house, and the picnic in a soft golden glow. He told of making fires themselves, cooking hotdogs on sticks, sleeping in a tent. The kids were enthralled. Lydia was charmed. He was getting laid so hard tonight.

His story was rudely interrupted by one of the squat, round lawnbots that turned the corner of the house and headed in their direction. He sprung up and waved his arms in front of it. The machine sensed the obstacle and halted, recomputing. The dog barked at it. Bits of grass escaped from under the deck showering the blanket. The kids, inspired, breathed in the raw green scent of the cut grass. Lydia squeaked, some of the clippings had flown into in her lemonade. He carefully pushed the ‘bot over, exposing the whirling blades. He thrilled at the danger of it but the safety systems kicked in and shut off the electric motor and the blades stopped with a jolt. The dog barked happily and wagged its tail with renewed vigor, pleased by its master’s victory over the beast that had long tormented it. Peter and Wendy cheered.

He looked at the mowing machine and remembered. Suddenly he dashed over to the old garage. It was used for storage now, but had been an important part of the house when his parents owned it. Rummaging in the back, he found what he was looking for. He dragged it out as the family watched, curious. It was his grandfather’s ancient push mower. His grandfather taught him to use it back when he had been about Wendy’s age, and how proud he had been to be helping! He gave it a little push; it was a little rusty and very dirty, but the blades moved.

Lydia peered in the garage, and near the front found a box with old gardening tools in it. “Remember these?” she asked him. She smiled coyly and he remembered. He smiled back. So hard.

He pushed the mower into the lawn and made a few experimental passes. He did far more damage, esthetically, than any improvement he might accidentally accomplish, but who cared? Lydia was digging up the HOA approved flowers she always hated, let them complain. Peter and Wendy found an old red ball, too old and hard and dry for bouncing but good enough to toss back and forth. It was a good day. Lydia even saw a shooting star, and he paused to look up at it.

Peter threw the ball to Wendy and looked too. She concentrated on the ball. She didn’t even hear the klaxons, not knowing what they were. “Duck and Cover” was four generations before her, ancient history. For a moment, the ball hung at the top of its arc in the growing darkness and it was Mars to her, suspended in space, because her class had just watched a video about the planets and she was going to be an astronaut. She was going to catch it and that meant she would too be the first girl on Mars. It was hers.

In an instant, her planet was lit by a sun that was too close and much too bright.

Submission for literature (because my family keeps disturbing me with composing...)

A poem criticising society and its uncaring denizens.

Vagabond

He gazed up
Having spotted a black light
Shining down upon him

Looking
Looking into two blue spheres
Spheres of life, shimmering with light

A face
A face so bright
Reminding him of hope

The red gates parted
Giving way to a wall of white
Holding together for a split second

Then the wall splits
And out of the black abyss within
Comes out a laugh

A laugh so mocking
Draining all elation out of him
Before she announces,

"Look at this hag!
Gazing up at me
as if he wants help from me!"

He looks down to the floor
While the monster turns
And walks away with its compatriots

He tilts his head up again
Gazing dimly into the pavement
Packed with the masses

As he curses those above for his status
Where only disgust was thrown upon;
Here, no one would help a beggar.

Syrixia:
SUBMISSION- COMICS AND GRAPHIC ART

Perspective.png
LOL. Guess Syrixia either not have any knowledgeable or not giving any damn about my nation?

Aswell about the Syrixia one, you should said one of the major regional power not is the major regional power? (Unless that what most of the nations think in The North Pacific, I been honestly I don't think your nation is the major regional power but a major regional power.) Anyway, still awesome work.

Mr Insanity:
Syrixia:
SUBMISSION- COMICS AND GRAPHIC ART

Perspective.png
LOL. Guess Syrixia either not have any knowledgeable or not giving any damn about my nation?

Aswell about the Syrixia one, you should said one of the major regional power not is the major regional power? (Unless that what most of the nations think in The North Pacific, I been honestly I don't think your nation is the major regional power but a major regional power.) Anyway, still awesome work.
Polandball comics are supposed to have bad english dialogue. The US, UK, and the Commonwealth nations are the exceptions and speak proper english.

Thanks for being confused :lol:

Wait, whoa. If Syrixia is the judge for comic strips, then why did he submit something under that category? Wouldn't that be kind of an obvious and problematic conflict of interest?

Back