[GA] At Vote: Repeal: Responsible Arms Trading [Complete]

Repeal "Responsible Arms Trading"

A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.

Category: Repeal

Resolution: GA#325

Proposed by: Imperium Anglorum

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #325: Responsible Arms Trading (Category: Global Disarmament; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: Affirming the need for the securitisation of weapons for the peaceful lives of civilians across the world,

Recognising that war is an inevitable part of human nature as well as a conflict which can lead to the creation of new nations and the achievement of radical change, and

Believing that peace and prosperity are best preserved by the protection of civilians and not overregulation of arms used generally for defence,

This august World Assembly;

Objects to the definition of armament, as it includes the “parts necessary in their construction or production”, which includes items such as wood, metal, brass, and saltpetre, since this is an overly broad definition which includes many resources which are and are not used in armament production;

Realises that clause (4) is a piece of boiler-plate filler which does nothing, since it exempts from regulation weapons that are not regulated and only binds future regulations to relax gun control laws for ‘recreational purposes only’ and tighten said laws in the case of posing ‘imminent lawless action’, the first of which is irrespective of the violent nature of non-developed countries and the second of which is irrelevant, as any regulation passed would ipso facto make violations ‘imminent' and ‘lawless';

Objects to the requirement that ‘exporters and brokers of armaments within member nations ... register with the relevant governments of the nations in which they operate’, as this would mean government oversight over all armament production facilities and endanger the freedoms of civilians who may want to overthrow dictatorships;

Decries clause (7), which prohibits the sale of weapons:

if there is a possibility of diversion, which may occur in the chaos of war (e.g. blockades, interception, etc.) and or

if there is a possibility of use in a ‘war of conquest or expropiation', the definition of which is not well defined, and hence, can include cases where nations may wish for payments of war indemnities (thus expropriating wealth), colonies, and or claims of uninhabited territories;

Believes that the mandate for the issuance of ‘end-user certificates’ is irrespective of the chaos of war, which may lead to the capture of war materiel, hence forcing that ‘said buyer’ might not be the ‘final recipient of the product’; and thus; this esteemed World Assembly;

Repeals the resolution on Responsible Arms Trading.

For, Against, or Abstain

Ministry Determination
Vote Recommendation: Against

The target resolution in question was passed for a reason, and TNP voted FOR, and not without good cause. The repeal attempt is the same tripe that we saw during the drafting phase, arguing that the term "armament" is insufficiently clear as a term, despite being defined right in the resolution, that this would ban the sale of steel to nations who would use it to commit genocide, which is unreasonable as an example as steel is not generally classified as an armament, and that the economies of arms-producing nations would be irreparably harmed, which has been proven as not the case through the statistical effects of the proposal.

The proposal has already been challenged as "grossly offensive" based on its broad characterization of developing nations as lawless places of extreme violence, which is a charge I tend to agree with. Unfortunately, it was declined by moderators.

The claims of vagueness in terms are being made by the same brand of politicians who would argue the definition of words readily accepted in common vernacular, and would demand a dictionary included in the resolution for their own personal wordwanking satisfaction.

Given the good that the target resolution does, and the poorly constructed arguments of this repeal, it is the determination of the WA Ministry that a vote AGAINST is in the best interests of The North Pacific.

Separatist Peoples:
The proposal has already been challenged as "grossly offensive" based on its broad characterization of developing nations as lawless places of extreme violence, which is a charge I tend to agree with. Unfortunately, it was declined by moderators.
The legality challenge was about the repeal's numerous mistakes; the grossly offensive part (bearing in mind the author of this repeal has literally - can't make this shit up - roleplayed as Cecil Rhodes's reincarnated spirit in the WA forum and argued in favour of "civilizing backwards societies) was just an add-on.

I have switched my vote to For accordingly.

We have more than 3 WAs in the region, please vote people.

Not only that, TNP was in favor of this resolution when it passed. The repeal is terrible. This really should be cut and dry.

I was really looking forward to being able to tell the summer Nazi crowd that their gun control drafts were flat-out illegal...

I know me making my case is essentially irrelevant at this point, considering the margin that the repeal is passing with, but the repeal itself is a remarkable, almost unprecedented, piece of trash. Literally every single argument is incorrect. If you dislike the concept behind the original, fine, I can't convince you to change your mind I suppose, but if you're persuaded by the arguments in the repeal, please say so, and I'll gladly do my best to clarify why they're completely and utterly wrong.

Against. I find it rather amusing that the repeal resolution is passing by such an overwhelming margin when the original, implemented only a week ago, passed 66%-34%.

Flooforia:
Against. I find it rather amusing that the repeal resolution is passing by such an overwhelming margin when the original, implemented only a week ago, passed 66%-34%.
What can you say, the GA is finicky something that passes with an overwhelming majority if the right situations take place and the lemming effect is taken advantage of cna be repelled with minimal efforts

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back