[GA] Reached Quorum - Repeal Cooperation in Science Act [Complete]

Repeal "Cooperation in Science Act"

Category: Repeal | Strength: N/A | Proposed by: Ainocra | Resolution link | World Assembly forum thread

Description: Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #92: Cooperation in Science Act (Category: Education and Creativity; Area of Effect: Educational) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument:

Lauds the goals set forth in the cooperation of science act.

Wishing however to avoid the politicization of science.

Convinced that this act does not do enough to further the advancement of scientific knowledge.

Desiring to do more, for ourselves and our children.

Concerned that in section two WASP is tasked with a goal of coordinating scientific studies and research projects of international scope but given no clear framework or direction on how to accomplish that goal.

Troubled that because WASP is voluntarily funded; a funding entity could potentially halt funding of research in order to control or exploit the advancements for their own ends.

Dismayed That WASP cannot live up to its mandate of providing a public forum for free and unhindered debate on scientific research and issues as outlined in section three due to this lack of oversight in its initial mandate.

Believes that the WASP would better serve the citizens of this assembly with a broader mandate
Asserts That funding of this act under the auspices of the WA general fund would serve to put WASP beyond such political divides, and believing that funding provided by the WAGF would be both unbiased by any one member nation; as well as serving better to further the research done while simultaneously achieving the goal of making it more openly available to the entire assembly.

Knowing we can collectively provide a better future for all people
Hereby repeals GA#92 Cooperation in science act.

This thread is for both discussion and voting.

When voting, please use one of the following options: For | Against | Abstain | Present

"Abstain" means that you wish for the Delegate to not vote on the resolution at all.
"Present" means that you effectively choose not to participate in this vote. "Present" has no effect on how the Delegate votes.

Posts which do not include an explicit and unambiguous vote are not counted in the tally.

**Please note this resoluton is currently not at vote - but a quorum has been reached and is in que to go to vote soon. I thought we could get a jump start on the voting on this.**

The replacement planned for this proposal is quite possibly the worst piece of legislation I have ever seen. I'm also amused at the oddity of a "libertarian" supporting an argument that private agencies cannot be trusted and only government funding should be allowed!

I support the repeal on principle of scaling back big govt. They can use any justification for a repeal they like as long as it is repealed. as far as a replacement goes. Ill reserve judgement for when I see it, until then I am just going to say: why does there need to be a replacement? Why cant bloated programs be repealed and not replaced? Without an international resolution saying governments need to cooperate on science it can be left up to the indivdual nations how much cooperation they want to have with each other in this regard.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
I support the repeal on principle of scaling back big govt. They can use any justification for a repeal they like as long as it is repealed. as far as a replacement goes. Ill reserve judgement for when I see it, until then I am just going to say: why does there need to be a replacement? Why cant bloated programs be repealed and not replaced? Without an international resolution saying governments need to cooperate on science it can be left up to the indivdual nations how much cooperation they want to have with each other in this regard.
I'm not sure you understand what this repeal is saying.

At present, WASP is funded through private donations. The repeal argues that is wrong, because private donors will bias scientific research.

When the repeal passes, WASP will continue to exist - several other resolutions reference it, and according to WA rules committees remain in existence even if their authorising resolution is removed. However, its funding mechanism will be removed. That means it will revert to using the WA General Fund, which is funded through contributions from each member nation.

In other words, this repeal does the exact opposite of what you claim to want.

As for the replacement, which the author has repeatedly insisted they will submit at the first possible opportunity (i.e. in four days' time when the repeal passes), it's contained within the same debate thread as the repeal, confusingly.

I would argue that with the repeal of the act it would or should have zero funding and the WASP should set idle. If the WAGF is to be used then a seperate proposal ordering that should be submitted. But nothing in this crazy game makes sense

"
Believes that the WASP would better serve the citizens of this assembly with a broader mandate
Asserts That funding of this act under the auspices of the WA general fund would serve to put WASP beyond such political divides, and believing that funding provided by the WAGF would be both unbiased by any one member nation; as well as serving better to further the research done while simultaneously achieving the goal of making it more openly available to the entire assembly."

just reads as feel good filler to me. That they "believe the general fund would be better"...but a repeal is a repeal...like I said if they want to use the general fund they would, I would think with all logic have to repeal the cooperation act and then submit replacement legislation specfically naming the general fund. (Which I also would oppose) but in between that time the WASP shouldnt be funded.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
I would argue that with the repeal of the act it would or should have zero funding and the WASP should set idle.
Then your argument is with the fundamental game rules, not the resolution, because that simply cannot happen. Once the repeal passes, your nation's mandatory contribution to the WA General Fund will increase in order to fill the funding gap.

I think Acoustic Siberia is correct - following the repeal, this committee will be funded by national dues, and not private contributions.

I have cast my vote in favor of this resolution, in accordance with the current tally.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back