mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
Role Play Moderators
This has been a good initiative. I would propose that we continue with the process of Delegate appointed Role Play moderators, on the advice of the culture staff.

Thread Jacking and other issues

The best way to deal with thread jacking and other unwelcome posts is for those posts to be reported to the Role Play Moderators directly. This can be done using the report function or by posting in the assigned thread. Ideally, the OP of the particular role play would simply deal with it themselves. But the reality is that moderation over a given forum is only likely to be held by a few people, so Role Play moderators need to be able to take an active role in the moderation of those forums.

Forum reorganisation
Given the rather sudden explosion of Role Play over the past year, it is understandable that the RP forum needs to make some changes.

I would propose something like this:

- National Role Play
- Diplomacy
-- Embassy Exchange
-- Negotiations
- Economics and Trade (this would include storefronts and other business ventures)
- Drafting Plane
-- Factbook writing workshop
- Map
- Democratic Union
- Character Role Play

Is it mainly economic/trade issues that we need addressed with forum reorganisation? What else would you like to see?

I'd like to see the addition of at least one more RP Moderator, personally. Threadjacking and realism issues have also decreased significantly with the introduction of the RP mod system. I'd like to see increased use of both the Realism Megathread and the Roleplay Moderator Megathread.
Any thoughts regarding this? Is an additional guide or megathread in order?

As for reorganization, I believe that would more accurately facilitate the demands of the RP community.

Regarding the reorganization, I think the factbook writing workshop should stay a top-level forum. It doesn't fit inside the drafting plane, which is for a different kind of drafting.

Also, factbook writing has been a very popular activity gameside, so we should give it first-billing promotion on the forum.

The subforum is barely used and everything it is used for could easily be contained in two topics, a featured factbook topic and a factbook writing guide to be honest.

Then we need to find a way to use it more. Perhaps we compile all the Stories of TNP winners and make a Lennart for best factbook, picking from such winners?

Nierr:
The subforum is barely used and everything it is used for could easily be contained in two topics, a featured factbook topic and a factbook writing guide to be honest.
Given that the activity exists in-game, this means we need better promotion, not to burry the forum.

Stories has been quite successful in bringing nations from in-game to the forum and in encouraging factbook writing activity. We should capitalize on that by promoting the workshop even further.

In the past, I had invited featured authors to submit material on factbook writing in the workshop - their own factbook writing lectures. So far we haven't seen much initiative from authors in that direction, but I think we can improve on that.

I think that it isn't really a workshop more of a factbook awards forum.

I think what we should do is have a factbook questions/answers thread, maintained by RP moderators. Users would be able to come and ask questions/seek advice about their current fact books. I know that I personally receive several telegrams per day asking for factbook related advice, I am sure r3n had a similar number of responses. The interest from game side nations is definitely there, and I don't wish to downplay that. But we could still promote that area from the position of a subforum in the drafting plane.

The workshop is a relatively new endeavor. It has so far failed to developed into a proper workshop, which is why it remains a forum for awards.

What I am saying though is that, given the very large interest in factbook writing in the region, we should not yet give up and continue trying to promote the workshop. Every time someone asks a question about factbooks, we can refer them to the workshop. Every time someone comes up with a cool idea for a factbook, we can refer them to post there. Every time someone wins Stories, we can encourage them to give a presentation.

I am obviously biased in evaluating the workshop, but I think there is a lot of underutilized potential there, and with a little more focus we can tap into all that potential. Burrying the workshop into a third-level subforum is only going to hinder that.

Alright. I think we will leave factbook workshop where it is then.

Other than that, how does everyone feel about the other changes listed above? Is there any thing else that would make the RP forums more organised/accessible?

mcmasterdonia:
Alright. I think we will leave factbook workshop where it is then.

Other than that, how does everyone feel about the other changes listed above? Is there any thing else that would make the RP forums more organised/accessible?
I am very against this. The reorganization needs to be about simplifying, making it less cluttered. If we are going to keep the Factbook award forum out in the first tier, then Alliances and Organizations should be made under Diplomacy and DU should be placed in that. Something has to give for the sake of flow.

The proposal suggested in the OP still streamlines the forum in a number of areas.

Embassy Row, Negotiations, will both become subforums of "Diplomacy"
Economics and Trade
Democratic Union
Map
Drafting Plane
Factbook Writing
Character RP

So this means that there would be 7 top level forums. I wouldn't really be in favor of making the DU a subforum. These will just show up as links under the main RP forum on the index page. I don't think that is too problematic, disorganised, or that it would harm the flow of the forum.

When it comes down to it DU really has no leg to stand on for claiming a top tier seat other then being a pet project for MoCs and the only alliance in town. Its not particularly active, organized or even have a clear purpose.

The map could possibly be moved to the main-level subforum, since it is so central to most of what goes on in the others.

You could chuck Economics and Trade into Diplomacy as a subforum, but I'm fine either way with everything else.

Back