-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
del-seal.png
January 13 2015​
Citizens of the North Pacific,

Firstly, I'd like to say that I am truly honoured to be elected Delegate of the North Pacific once again. The campaign for this office was fought over more than a month, and included sending thousands of manual telegrams and receiving thousands in replies. SillyString and myself coordinated our campaign to help increase participation in our regional forum, awareness of how the regional government works, and to ensure that our region contained an informed populace.

Our efforts, combined with the Delegate's personal efforts to promote the Citizenship reform, helped to create a very significant voter turn out, with most of the nations who promised to vote for us, remembering to do so. It is my hope that future candidates will realise the success that this primarily in-game campaign helped to bring, and that similar campaigns will be attempted in future. I believe that an in-game campaign, can be infinitely more successful than PM campaigns which some members find spammy.

I would like to thank SillyString for her support in the campaign, and to the other candidates Eluvatar, Tomb, and Romanoffia for their effort in the campaign. I was glad to see more of a competition for the Delegacy election, and Tomb provided a strong fight against SillyString in the Vice Delegacy race. Our robust democratic society is very much alive, and it is my hope, that we will continue to see this strengthen over the coming months and in future elections.

Our focus for the next week, will be on securing the in-game Delegacy and on maximizing our endorsement count. Given that I was already the second highest endorsed nation in the world, I do not think it will take very long, and there is no need for HMS Unicorn to resign from the World Assembly. I would ask that nations of the North Pacific make sure that they are currently endorsing Mcmasterdonia and further request that they temporarily withdraw their endorsements from HMS Unicorn to help ease the transition.

Secondly, we will be seeking to form a cabinet. I certainly believe that there are many competent individuals who could step up to the positions, we are also interested in hearing who would be interested and what ideas they believe they could bring to the position. For that reason, we will be opening applications for interested members of the North Pacific to apply to serve in the cabinet. As part of that application, we ask that you present your goals for the Ministry, including areas that you believe require improvement. This will help to inform myself and the Vice Delegate, about which individuals are interested in serving, as well as serve as a wide brainstorming session for each area of the executive government.

Without further ado, I present the following application:

Code:
[center][b][u][big]Minister Applications[/center][/big][/b][/u]
[b]Position:[/b] Minister of Foreign Affairs | Minister of Defence | Minister of Communications | Minister of Home Affairs | Minister of Culture and Entertainment | Minister of World Assembly Affairs

[b]Please outline your goals for the Ministry:[/b]

[b]Please outline areas of the Ministry as it currently operates that require improvement[/b]

[b]Do you believe there are any ministries which ought to hold more or less influence in determining executive policy? If so, which ones, and why?[/b]

[b]If you are not selected as minister, would you be interested in serving as Deputy?[/b]

If you are interested in more than one position, then please send in another separate application. This might be a good idea if for instance you are applying to serve as Minister of Communications, but would like to be considered for Minister of Culture & Entertainment, if you were unsuccessful on the first.

We are looking for individuals who are active, driven, and dedicated to the North Pacific. Please send your application to me directly.

Your Delegate,
McM.png

Delegate of the North Pacific

Minister Applications

Position: Minister of Foreign Affairs

Please outline your goals for the Ministry:
My goals for the ministry are:
*To retain an good relationships and improve relationships with other regions.
*To improve relationship with other regions, we have an bad relationship with.
*To make new good relationship with other regions, the regions we don't have relationship with.

Please outline areas of the Ministry as it currently operates that require improvement
*To make new good relationship with other regions, the regions we don't have relationship.

Do you believe there are any ministries which ought to hold more or less influence in determining executive policy? If so, which ones, and why?
None.

If you are not selected as minister, would you be interested in serving as Deputy?
Yes, I have an interested to server as deputy.

Minister Applications

Position: Minister of Defence

*To maintained and improve the security and protection of The North Pacific.
*To help the world maintained and improve the security.
*To archive world peace.

Please outline areas of the Ministry as it currently operates that require improvement
*To improve the security and protection of The North Pacific.
*To help the world maintained and improve the security.
*To promote world peace.

Do you believe there are any ministries which ought to hold more or less influence in determining executive policy? If so, which ones, and why?
None.

If you are not selected as minister, would you be interested in serving as Deputy?

Minister Applications

Position:Minister of Home Affairs

*To retain an good relationships and improve relationships with all The North Pacific's nations.

*To improve relationships with all The North Pacific's nations.

None.

Minister Applications
Position: Minister of World Assembly Affairs

*To maintained and improve the world environments.
*To maintained and improve the world human rights.
*To maintained and improve the world social justices.
*To maintained and improve the world free trades.
*To maintained and improve the world democracy.
*To maintained and improve the international securities.
*To maintained and improve the international laws.
*To maintained and improve the world moral decency.
*To maintained and improve the world political stability.
*To maintained and improve the world gun controls.
*To maintained and improve the world industries.
*To maintained and improve the world educations and creativity.
*To maintained and improve the world healths.
*To make new good relationship with other regions, the regions we don't have relationship with.
*To archive world peace.
*To retain an good relationships and improve relationships with all The North Pacific's nations.

*To maintained and improve the world environments.
*To maintained and improve the world human rights.
*To maintained and improve the world social justices.
*To maintained and improve the world free trades.
*To maintained and improve the world democracy.
*To maintained and improve the international securities.
*To maintained and improve the international laws.
*To maintained and improve the world moral decency.
*To maintained and improve the world political stability.
*To maintained and improve the world gun controls.
*To maintained and improve the world industries.
*To maintained and improve the world educations and creativity.
*To maintained and improve the world healths.
*To promote world peace.

None.

Hey guys.Thanks for the applications. It is up to you if you want to post them here, but I've also received a number of them privately by PM (which was what I suggested in the OP) ;)

lol, that's what I thought McM. But when I saw everyone posting I thought I might have misunderstood what you meant :P

~ Tomb

I don't think myself fit for a Cabinet position, and would be shocked if I got a Deputy gig, but I'd like to suggest that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs open more embassies with more new nations. I also would like to suggest basically FAQs for each Ministry; if a new nation needs help, or is confused, it could be able to get it in a jiffy. Finally, I think we need to give more attention to the Ministry of WA Affairs. Many nations might not read the actual debate that takes place in-game, which makes them more prone to voting yay on bad proposals, as those proposals always say the good side of what it would do, and neglect to tell about the bad side. I say that we invite all nations on the forum - not just those with a WA membership - to participate in a "formal debate," similar to what we have in RA legislation. Now, that isn't to say that we should let all nations vote; obviously, if the bill isn't going to impact you, but is going to impact many others, you should leave voting on it to those it will impact (namely, TNP WA nations). However, I do believe they may add discussion of great value and inform us of many things that we may otherwise overlook. We have nearly nobody actually post why they vote yay or nay on WA proposals, and even then it is usually a small bit. If we have a separate debate section, we can more easily analyze pros and cons, and make informed decisions and votes. Finally, my fourth and final suggestion for improvement is that we should expand the section of discussion of issues. Would that go under Culture? In some cases, I feel some nations would benefit from discussing (or witnessing previous discussion on) daily issues. We already have an Issues folder, and I believe there is a lot of merit and promise to it, but it only has one post within the entire folder. So, obviously, something needs to be fixed there. If you think any of my proposals have merit, and you wish for me to elaborate, I might be able to do that, but at a later date; I am way, way behind in my work, primarily because I spent a ton of time on this post. :-)

Alta Italia:
I don't think myself fit for a Cabinet position, and would be shocked if I got a Deputy gig, but I'd like to suggest that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs open more embassies with more new nations. I also would like to suggest basically FAQs for each Ministry; if a new nation needs help, or is confused, it could be able to get it in a jiffy. Finally, I think we need to give more attention to the Ministry of WA Affairs. Many nations might not read the actual debate that takes place in-game, which makes them more prone to voting yay on bad proposals, as those proposals always say the good side of what it would do, and neglect to tell about the bad side. I say that we invite all nations on the forum - not just those with a WA membership - to participate in a "formal debate," similar to what we have in RA legislation. Now, that isn't to say that we should let all nations vote; obviously, if the bill isn't going to impact you, but is going to impact many others, you should leave voting on it to those it will impact (namely, TNP WA nations). However, I do believe they may add discussion of great value and inform us of many things that we may otherwise overlook. We have nearly nobody actually post why they vote yay or nay on WA proposals, and even then it is usually a small bit. If we have a separate debate section, we can more easily analyze pros and cons, and make informed decisions and votes. Finally, my fourth and final suggestion for improvement is that we should expand the section of discussion of issues. Would that go under Culture? In some cases, I feel some nations would benefit from discussing (or witnessing previous discussion on) daily issues. We already have an Issues folder, and I believe there is a lot of merit and promise to it, but it only has one post within the entire folder. So, obviously, something needs to be fixed there. If you think any of my proposals have merit, and you wish for me to elaborate, I might be able to do that, but at a later date; I am way, way behind in my work, primarily because I spent a ton of time on this post. :-)
That is quite a post. Can I suggest that you break them up a little bit in future? :P

1) I'll note it down that you are interested in a Deputy position.
2) I assume you mean new embassies with regions - that is part of every Minister's term. But at the same time, there is no point opening embassies with every region possible, as most of the time those embassies will just go inactive. We will spend too much time trying to staff them and keep them informed with little received in return.
3)There is a FAQ for each Ministry. It requires updating, I think Home Affairs needs to be included.
4) Information for Voters telegrams will continued to be sent out to all WA nations in the region. It would be too much of a strain on our resources and take too long for us to wire these telegrams to non WA nations. We definitely will send out region wide telegrams promoting that area of the forum, but I am not really inclined to spam every nation (whether WA or not) about debates on WA resolutions.
5) I fully believe that WA votes should be determined by WA nations in TNP and members of the NPA on active service. I will continue to use that policy.
6) The issues forum is available to all, but historically, I don't think it received much interest. It isn't under the purview of Culture at this point, but rather up to individual members to post their issues that they might need help with.

Thanks.

mcmasterdonia:
That is quite a post. Can I suggest that you break them up a little bit in future? :P

2) I assume you mean new embassies with regions - that is part of every Minister's term. But at the same time, there is no point opening embassies with every region possible, as most of the time those embassies will just go inactive. We will spend too much time trying to staff them and keep them informed with little received in return.
3)There is a FAQ for each Ministry. It requires updating, I think Home Affairs needs to be included.
4) Information for Voters telegrams will continued to be sent out to all WA nations in the region. It would be too much of a strain on our resources and take too long for us to wire these telegrams to non WA nations. We definitely will send out region wide telegrams promoting that area of the forum, but I am not really inclined to spam every nation (whether WA or not) about debates on WA resolutions.
5) I fully believe that WA votes should be determined by WA nations in TNP and members of the NPA on active service. I will continue to use that policy.
6) The issues forum is available to all, but historically, I don't think it received much interest. It isn't under the purview of Culture at this point, but rather up to individual members to post their issues that they might need help with.

Thanks.
I can't respond to all of your post today, but until I do reply more thoroughly, I do wish to say that you're misunderstanding me on some of what I said. I'll be able to clarify tomorrow, hopefully.

It took me a long time, but, as promised, here is my reply:

mcmasterdonia:
Alta Italia:

Thanks.

0) I thought about doing that, but the WA bit would dwarf the other points that I was trying to make.
1) OK. I'd understand if I am not selected, but I would be honored to selected to serve in any capacity.
2) I can't really say much more on this without knowing and being able to analyze the standards that we have currently set for opening embassies. I'm trying to find them on these forums, but I haven't seen any. May I ask what the current policy is for opening an embassy? However, though I'm not yet armed with specific statistics, I do think that most active regions should be provided an active ambassador. Now, some regions will fizzle out, of course, but if a region is active, and has proven that its activity is not just due to a two-day fad for three people who like NS and then leave forever, then we should open embassies. I'd have to know our current policy on embassies in order to be able to pinpoint what I'd like to change, but I do believe that more embassies are (generally) better. (Now, that isn't by any means to say that more is always better, but lots of the time, it is good.)
3) I looked through the Foreign Affairs folder. I looked through the Diplomatic Corps subfolder. I even went into the Diplomatic Corps Archives and the big, huge Delegate's Government folder. All I could find for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that might be considered a FAQ was McMasterdonia's Ask Me Anything thread, which has not been posted in in well over a month. Plus, it doesn't answer FAQs about the Ministry; it only addresses questions about yourself, many of which are completely silly. If there is a FAQ thread that I am missing, I think we should make it more visible, or else more clear that it is a FAQ thread. If there is not a FAQ thread, I believe we should establish one.
4) My WA platform - and especially this number - is where we got on different pages. If a nation can't vote in the WA, I don't think we should send it information about how it should vote. I agree with you there. I think it's a great service to the region, but it's being sent to all the people who should get it. My proposal was that we should have two threads assigned for each WA proposal that reaches quorum: one for voting on how the Delegate should vote, as is already customary, and another on debating the proposal. This would be similar to the way we handle RA proposals, and I think would work well. Firstly, the voting thread would determine how the Delegate votes on WA resolutions (unless you wish to change this policy, of course), but would be open only to WA members. Secondly, the debate thread would be dedicated to debate on the proposal, and that would be open to discussion from any member. I believe that many nations - whether or not they have a WA nation, or if they have one, whether or not it is in TNP - have very good insight on proposals. The number of people voting on how the Delegate should vote in the WA Ministry thread is pretty sad. Take the last proposal to be voted on as an example. Only eight people, including the Delegate himself, voted on how the Delegate should spend over 500 votes. However, the debate on it was even sadder. Over half the nations that did vote only posted one word, and I was the only one to write over two lines' worth of reasoning behind my vote. Debate on WA proposals on our forum seems to be virtually dead. Now, I know that debate does happen in the NS Forums, but how many nations really look there? Especially the newer ones; I doubt many of them read the debate. I think they simply make a decision, solely based on the text of the proposal. This isn't a great way to go about it, as that means that the only thing they read is an argument in favor of the proposal passing. I think that making voters more educated will overall make votes & voting better.
5) This is another area in which you interpreted my post differently than I wished. I agree with your statement. The voting post should only be for NPA members and people with a WA nation in TNP. However, I think a debate thread should be created, and that it should be open to everyone.
6) I think that many nations - especially the newer ones - might wish to discuss issues, but not know that we have this thread. A few days ago, we witnessed a perfect example. Three days ago on the RMB, Hidden Village of Iron asked for help with "the nudist issue in my country." One day ago, the same nation went so far as to copy & paste the debate and resolutions to the issue on adding the national animal to the menu. Iron clearly wants help, and if the Issues folder was relatively active, we could point Iron to it, and Iron could get help. However, we don't, so we can't, and Iron got very few responses to his pleas on the RMB. We have an Issues folder, sure. But the problem is, it has exactly one thread, which was started last year in November and has no replies. That's about as good as having no folder. Activity on that end, I believe, could benefit many nations, but most especially the newest ones, who are the ones who may leave if they decide they aren't having a good time, or, if they decide that NS if fun, may stay, and become a citizen, and join the Executive Staff, and submit a huge post to the Delegate about being a Deputy Minister. Besides, the more new nations we can get to the forums, the better, I say.

I hope you can brave that long post, and tell me what you think. If you need any more clarification, let me know. Hopefully you know what I actually do mean this time.

An edit on point #3:
OK, I'll have to eat some humble pie here. I found the MoFA FAQ. It was in the Docks. However, in my opinion, it's in pretty shoddy condition. It is very undetailed, provides old links, and isn't even located in Magicality City. That thread - the Ministry FAQs - also neglects to tell of both the Ministries of Culture and Communication. Plus, I don't think it answers anything that can't be found at the Executive Staff Sign-Ups, which is much, much easily accessible, and kept up-to-date, whereas I'm pretty sure a few answers to FAQs in the FAQ thread are no longer accurate. I believe we need a better, more thorough, and more up-to-date Ministry FAQ thread that incorporates all Ministries and is located within the Delegate's Government folder.

1) Okay.
2) I'd suggest looking at the Embassy application topic in Embassy Row. That is where we list our rules.
3) I'm glad that you found it. I agree that it needs updating, updating the FAQ's will be part of my goal for the term. It makes sense that they are in the FAQ section though, and not in Magicality City. The FAQ should be where most new members look for that sort of information. The Office thread I maintained could have been used for questions from anyone. The AMA thread was a one off event sponsored by the Executive Government.
4) There is absolutely no need for two separate threads. We use the same thread for debating and voting, I see no reason to change that and I won't be changing it. The IFV's go to all WA nations, there is already a huge amount of recruitment to get new nations onto the forum. We cannot hold a gun to the head of WA nations and ask them to vote on our forum as well. But there is always an active engagement with new WA members encouraging them to do so. Compared to other GCRs, TNP has had consistently active WA sections on this forum. We are not in dire straits.
5) Anyone can debate in the thread. That hasn't changed, but I only count the votes of WA nations and NPA members.
6) I don't think we'd see a huge amount of interest in Issues on this forum. Generally I think that nations are responsive to questions for help, and I know that over the years I have responded to many telegrams about issues. I don't think it's necessary for us to also be recruiting/bringing people for the issues section specifically, given how widespread our recruitment efforts already are for other parts of the forum. But Issues could be adapted into the Ministry, if that particular Minister is interested in it. It isn't something I see a great deal of value in, if I am honest.

Minister Applications

Position: Minister of Foreign Affairs | Minister of Defence | Minister of Communications | Minister of Home Affairs | Minister of Culture and Entertainment | Minister of World Assembly Affairs

Please outline your goals for the Ministry: More programs, more emphasis on roleplay, the DU, and the map as well as factbook writing, and much more emphasis on TNP's holidays, as well as the formation of a committee that would organize holiday celebrations.

Please outline areas of the Ministry as it currently operates that require improvement: The Ministry needs to focus more on programs and roleplay as their popularity has skyrocketed over the past couple months. Especially though, the Ministry needs to focus on holidays. Seriously, this year's Remembrance Day thread pretty much got only a few responses, and I've taken a look through the archives; we need a lot more relating to our holidays on this forum.

Do you believe there are any ministries which ought to hold more or less influence in determining executive policy? If so, which ones, and why? I believe we're fine as is, but the Ministry of Culture, since the current RP phenomenon is under it's jurisdiction, and also because it helps create a culture for TNP, should probably get a bit more influence due to its current position.

If you are not selected as minister, would you be interested in serving as Deputy? Sure, I'm a flexible person. Er, giraffe.

Hello everyone.

Thank you for all of your applications. I am in the final stages of organizing the cabinet. Some positions have already been filled, and others, are very close to being finalized. I thank you for your patience on this matter.

We're still missing each other a little bit on my WA Affairs suggestion, but it's not too big of a difference between what I think and what I think you think I think, and I doubt anything will change either way.

First of all, I would like to congratulate the "McMastocracy" on another victory in the Delegate "election", and I would also like to thank him in advance for appointing me Delegate Regent For Life.

Secondly, if I may just input my two cents on the WA debate - in my experience far more people will vote on any issue at hand than will debate on it. I think leaving debate and poll in one thread will at least ensure that those people who do vote will see the discussion. My worry would be that splitting the two would mean that plenty of people would never bother to look at the discussion thread at all, even if it was linked in the OP. These people would still vote having just read, or even just skimmed, the proposal, and we'd be right back where we started.

You make a good point, and if I were appointed by McMasterdonia to be WA Deputy Minister, I would honor your request to not split the two things up. However, I do think that it should be made clearer and more visible that 1) the thread is for both discussion and voting, and 2) any nation can discuss or debate the WA proposal in that thread.

Back