-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Olvern
Discord
lordnwahs
o0UJ6Sz.jpg

Looks like this thread has to start earlier lol.

I guess the last few months have been kind of up-and-down-ish. Lots of silly not keeping track of votes on time, not keeping a promise to restart the RA updates service, lots of remaskings, with the Aba situation obviously coming to mind.

I do not doubt the ability of my opponents in this election. JhonsJoe and Bootsie have shown themselves to be eager participants within the democratic project that is the RA, and I know, through my interactions with them, that both of them have showed good understanding of the workings of the RA. Bootsie, of course, was for some time a Deputy Speaker along with me under Zyvet, and is currently the other Deputy Speaker in my team. I wish them all the best in this contest.

So why should you still consider voting for me come January?

I think despite my shortcomings, I have proven my ability to handle the RA pretty effectively. I have had to make several decisions over procedural matters that I think were for the best, especially over the validity of votes. I have adhered strictly to the rules of the RA as far as I could, while allowing for flexibility over other issues. I think the balance that we have now in the RA can be improved, but I think that such change requires someone with the proven track record to handle the issues at hand. I believe that I have showed this ability in my term so far, and so I appeal to the electorate to re-elect me for the Speakership, come January.

I promise that I will do my best to rectify my shortcomings, and try my bets to interact more with RA members to keep them informed and active. The reforms proposed by r3n has the potential to change a lot of how we understand the RA as a body to be, and I want to be the person to lead the RA through that new future. I hope that you will be able to give me that opportunity.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread, and I will try my best to answer them.

SillyString:
PaulWallLibertarian42:
Which do you prefer and why? Aye Nay Abstain or Aye. Nay. Abstain.
Or their younger cousins, aye, nay, abstain, and aye., nay., abstain. :3
Aye Nay and Abstain, only because I'm used to voting that way myself :P

Gladio:
You removed me from the RA :( , so why should I vote for you ???
I stick to rules pretty darn strictly. I think people would be more worried if given the circumstances I didn't remove you and gave you leeway, because laws and stuff.

I think you've done well enough to deserve a second term. I'd like to see you take the lead a bit more though. While other opinions on procedure and interpretation may be legitimate, I've always thought of a Speaker as aloof, and a bit grumpy. In other words, don't 'echo' anyone (even if they're right). :P Good luck.

SillyString:
Tell us more about how you feel about Laws And Stuff! :P
Laws can be silly at times, and other times they can be very divisive (I'm looking at you, legal code section 7.3...), but overall I think we have our fundamentals right when it comes to ensuring democracy in the region, with (somewhat) reasonable rules on membership and with a good balance between executive and legislative powers.

As for Stuff... all I can say is that it has been a learning process, getting to know everything about procedures. I just figured out that I made a mistake on RA Rules (which is not legislation) :shrug: .

falapatorius:
I think you've done well enough to deserve a second term. I'd like to see you take the lead a bit more though. While other opinions on procedure and interpretation may be legitimate, I've always thought of a Speaker as aloof, and a bit grumpy. In other words, don't 'echo' anyone (even if they're right). :P Good luck.
Trust the contrarian to give contrarian advice :P Thanks very much though, I'll do my best to set my own path for the Speakership over the next few months :)

Syrixia:
HAIL MEERKAT!

HAIL MEERKAT!

(Syrixian for you have my full support)
Thanks Syrixia! :3

Lord Nwahs:
Trust the contrarian to give contrarian advice
Eep.. I'm getting predictable. I think I'll adopt a 'yes man' stance from now on. Lull the Oligarchy types into a false sense of security with the sweet, soothing sounds of "I agree", and "full support". :angel:

Sing one for me! Sing one for me!

Falap you should get a career as one of those singers of children's songs.

I've been reading up on both candidates and I've decided to switch to the side of Bootsie.

Don't hurt me. D:

Syrixia:
I've been reading up on both candidates and I've decided to switch to the side of Bootsie.

Don't hurt me. D:
Sure, even I'm voting for Bootsie. (doesn't mean I'm conceding, it really is just a matter of courtesy)

I heard you have some problems with my speakership in general. I would like to open this thread to any question, related to my Speakership or otherwise, so that all members of the RA, supporters or otherwise, can have an honest and open discussion with me.

@HuAt thanks for the support! :)

@Flap did you know that some people on IRC have been calling you Fap? xD

@Olvey: Precisely why I don't go there. Some truly juvenile users. Obviously, TOS doesn't apply (or is ignored). I will look into that though.

falapatorius:
@Olvey: Precisely why I don't go there. Some truly juvenile users. Obviously, TOS doesn't apply (or is ignored). I will look into that though.
IRC is like a free-speech zone as far as I know.

Lord Nwahs:
falapatorius:
IRC is like a free-speech zone as far as I know.
Off topic: not entirely. There are general standards of conduct in our channel enforced by our op team. In addition, there are network-wide rules enforced by IRC ops.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Do you plan on releasing a catchy acronym to discribe your campaign. Please think before including a "Y" in any catchy acronym.
I'm terrible with acronyms, so no way in hell! xD

"I guess the last few months have been kind of up-and-down-ish. Lots of silly not keeping track of votes on time, not keeping a promise to restart the RA updates service, lots of remaskings, with the Aba situation obviously coming to mind."
I have one question: How can we know that this will not happen again?

@Alta Italia: To answer your question: I will do my best to mitigate any situation where the speaker's office will be unable to perform its duties, and I will try my best to use the means provided to me to ensure that people remain active within the RA, be it through telegrams on NS or PMs on the forum.

I'm not going to lie - it's impossible for me to promise that I will be able to prevent problems related to my own ability to get things done completely. In my opinion, part of that problem has already been resolved with the regular posting of the new RA Dispatch, plus the reforms introduced as a result of the VRA. My next term will also focus on developing potential future speakers (my Deputy Speaker team) with the information and know-how to handle the office and its responsibilities, and at times I will have to delegate more work to them as well, especially at points in my term when my activity cannot be guaranteed. Previous Speakers have had the wisdom to appoint Acting Speakers at points in their speakership if they find themselves unable to run things at some point. I think that is only to be expected of any Speaker, for we are ultimately human, with other commitments outside of NS.

Speakers, I think, suffer from having one of the most tedious jobs in the entire region, a job that comes along with very little reward, and very often a lot of flak, with very little praise to be expected. Illusions of grandeur are shattered by application after application, vote after vote. At some points doing this felt extremely pointless. It was only the interactions that I have had in this office with different TNPers that helped me retain my sense of commitment to the office that I hold. Commitment eventually pushed me out of the abyss of procrastination to get things done. Commitment made me realise that part of the job of being a Speaker, whilst not legally enforced, is keeping Citizens informed, so that there can be a healthy legislature. Commitment, I think, is something that will continue to push me forward to do the best that my flawed self can in this office. I cannot comment for my opponents, but I think that my time in this office has brought me the wisdom and commitment to ensure that things get done, and that our legislature can improve step by step.

Thanks for being so open & honest with us, and willing to discuss your shortcomings, as well as your accomplishments. I have to say that I do not know how I will vote.

Generally speaking, the mistakes of this term have been minor and, as the old saying goes, "nobody died."

I think you have had integrity as a speaker, and you have grown into the role. A second term would probably help that happen. unless something astonishing happens, I will be voting for you in the election.

And thank you, and to all the candidates, for being willing to do a thankless task on behalf of the region.

Lord Nwahs! Though I have been around for very little of it, you have served the North Pacific extremely well and faithfully for two terms now as Speaker. I am sure that in four months, we will celebrate the fact that you will have served a full year as one of the best Speakers that we have had. Congratulations!

Thanks Alta Italia! :D

(Actually I've only served one term, but I've ran for the office thrice :P)

Back