Jury Duty?

Most people try to get out of it, I got a summons last month filled it out and left my excuse out purposely, I think it would be interesting, and doing my civic duty, I was to report Monday, and so I was crushed when I just called to confirm and found out the Jury Duty scheduled in my summons has been cancelled :( (someone mustive plead out? But still.)

Thoughts on jury duty? Civic duty or hassel? Do you try to get out of it or hope you get picked?

If you live in the UK it's worth doing just to see how useless the justice system really is. I did it 7 years ago and it taught me nothing but that the law only works for the little toerags it should be putting away.

Some people gotta do the hard stuff, Wolfsea. Without law the show Sons of Anarchy would be seen as a documentary about everyday life.

I do not want to serve on a jury solely because that means a substitute will be teaching my 170 students for however long the trial lasts. But I won't try anything stupid to get out of it either...

The last round I was in, I actually was part of jury selection, but got dismissed by prosecution. I'm pretty sure it was because the 2 accused were teenagers and they thought I'd be biased in their favor as a high school teacher.

Yes. when I was in school and there was a substitute the actual teachers knew how evil teenagers were to subs and left us "fun" activities to do. Or Movies to watch..but then to make sure we actually watched them had pop quizes on them when the teacher got back.

I did Jury Duty at the beginning of the month. It was really interesting! I got called for a criminal case and we spent the whole day in selection. I did not get picked (and I had solid financial reasons I couldn't have done it), but they went through 60 of the 120 people they called before getting a jury that both sides accepted.

Back