Vice Delegate Succession BIll

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
Vacancies, Absences, and Succession Bill

1. Article 3, Section 11 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
11. In the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the vacated position. If a member of the line of succession assumes the duties of either position while serving in, or having assumed the duties of, any other constitutionally-mandated elected office, they will be considered absent from that office.

2. Article 6, Section 4 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
4. The Regional Assembly may establish a line of succession by a majority vote. The line of succession must always include the Vice Delegate and all current Security Council members, and must always place the Vice Delegate first. If a new member is admitted to the Security Council, they will be automatically added at the end of the current line of succession. If a member is removed from the Security Council, they will be automatically removed from the line of succession.

3. Article 7, Section 12 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
12. Procedures to fill vacancies and absences in constitutionally-mandated elected offices may be established by law.

4. Chapter 3, Section 3.2 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
- If one or more Justice positions are vacant, or any Justice is absent or has a conflict of interest, the remaining Justices will promptly appoint the needed hearing officers from among available Regional Assembly members to participate as temporary Justices.
- If all Justices are either vacant or absent or have have a conflict of interest, the Delegate will promptly appoint the needed hearing officers from among available Regional Assembly members with the agreement of the Speaker.
- In implementing the previous clause, any person who has a conflict of interest will be treated as unavailable.
- Any hearing officer appointed under this Section will be automatically removed if they have a conflict of interest and or hold any other office or assume the duties of any other office while serving as a hearing officer.

5. The following is inserted in Chapter 4, Section 4.2, of the Codified Law of The North Pacific after Clause 7:
An "absence" in an office means that the holder of the office is by law temporarily prevented from exercising the duties of their office. An absent officer may be replaced for the duration of their absence as provided by the Constitution, this Legal Code, or a rule adopted by the appropriate body.

6. Chapter 5, Clause 3 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the person holding the constitutionally-mandated elected office of the Delegate or, in the case of a vacancy in that office, the person that has assumed the duties of that office.

7. Chapter 5, Section 5.3, Clause 17 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
The Council may task a member with taking actions required under this chapter when the Vice Delegate is not available.

8. Chapter 6, Section 6.1, Clause 15 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
Regional Assembly members that have submitted a notice of unavailabilty, in accordance with any regulations set by the Speaker, shall be exempt from the provisions of the above clause for the stated duration of the period they are unavailable.

9. No part of this bill shall take effect unless all parts take effect.

1. Article 3, Section 11 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
11. In the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the vacated position. The Vice Delegate or a person having assumed the duties of the Vice Delegate under this clause will be considered available to assume the duties of the Delegate. If a member of the line of succession assumes the duties of either position while serving in any other constitutionally-mandated elected office, they will be considered absent from that office.

2. Article 6, Section 4 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
4. The Regional Assembly may establish a line of succession by a majority vote. The line of succession must always include the Vice Delegate and all current Security Council members, and must always have the Vice Delegate in the first place. If a new member is admitted to the Security Council, they will be added at the end of the current line of succession. If a member is removed from the Security Council, they will be removed from the line of succession.

3. Article 7, Section 12 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
12. Procedures to fill vacancies and absences in constitutionally-mandated elected offices may be established by law.

4. Chapter 3, Section 3.2 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
- If one or more Justice positions are vacant, or any Justice is absent or has a conflict of interest, the remaining Justices will promptly appoint the needed hearing officers from among available Regional Assembly members to participate as temporary Justices.
- If all Justices are either vacant or absent or have have a conflict of interest, the Delegate will promptly appoint the needed hearing officers from among available Regional Assembly members with the agreement of the Speaker.
- In implementing the previous clause, any person who has a conflict of interest will be treated as unavailable.
- Any hearing officer appointed under this Section must not have a conflict of interest and may not hold any other office while serving as a hearing officer.

5. The following is inserted in Chapter 4, Section 4.2, of the Codified Law of The North Pacific after Clause 7:
An "absence" in an office means that the holder of the office is by law temporarily prevented from exercising the duties of their office. An absent officer may be replaced for the duration of their absence as provided by the Constitution, this Legal Code, or a rule adopted by the appropriate body.

6. Chapter 5, Clause 3 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the constitutionally-mandated elected office of the Delegate or, in the case of a vacancy in that office, the person that has assumed the duties of that office.

7. Chapter 5, Section 5.3, Clause 17 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
The Council may task a member with taking actions required under this chapter when the Vice Delegate is not available.

8. Chapter 6, Section 6.1, Clause 15 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows:
Regional Assembly members that have submitted a notice of unavailabilty, in accordance with any regulations set by the Speaker, shall be exempt from the provisions of the above clause for the stated duration of the period they are unavailable.

Vice Delegate Succession Bill

11. If the Delegate is removed or unable to serve, the Vice Delegate will assume the duties of the Delegate. If the Vice Delegate is also unable to serve, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the Delegate. If the Vice Delegate is removed or unable to serve, the first available person in the line of succession who has not simultaneously assumed the duties of the Delegate will assume the duties of the Vice Delegate.

Here are the changes this bill makes:

11. If the Delegate is removed or unable to serve, the Vice Delegate will assume the duties of the Delegate. If the Vice Delegate is also unable to serve, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the Delegate. If the Vice Delegate is removed or unable to serve, the first available person in the line of succession who has not simultaneously assumed the duties of the Delegate will assume the duties of the Vice Delegate.

It's become apparent recently that, even though our legislation has provisions for the succession of the Delegate, it does not have any provisions for the succession of the Vice Delegate. This is problematic as it means, among other things, that for the duration of the special election to replace the Vice Delegate, we cannot run security checks on RA applicants. It also means that there is nobody to exercise the powers given to the VD under section 5.3, relating to enforcement of endorsement levels among SC members.

The proposed amendment solves this problem, by having the line of succession also apply to the VD. It covers the case where both the Delegate and VD are removed, in which case they are replaced by the first and second person in the line of succession, respectively. I think it also covers the case where a Delegate is removed while we are having an Acting VD in place (in which case, the Acting VD gets promoted to Acting Delegate, and the second person in the line of succession becomes the new Acting VD), but any suggestions to make this case more explicit are welcome.

This would have my full support if it went into vote. It clearifies the procedure for VD succession very clearly.

~ Tomb

A simplier approach might be to just amend the RA admission process to provide that if the Vice Delegate is unavailable, then the acting chair of the Security Council may perform the security checks. That would address the actual problem and only require an amendment of the Legal Code rather than the Constitution.

Well, that would be a kludgy fix, in my opinion, because then if we ever add any duties to the vice delegate, we have to include a provision that the acting chair of the security council will perform those duties in the absence of the vice delegate.

I do think the wording could be cleared up a bit though. I'll take another look at this when I have time.

Grosseschnauzer:
A simplier approach might be to just amend the RA admission process to provide that if the Vice Delegate is unavailable, then the acting chair of the Security Council may perform the security checks. That would address the actual problem and only require an amendment of the Legal Code rather than the Constitution.
And this is why you're the best debater.

Grosseschnauzer:
I was going to suggest this. Or if the Vice delegate was indisposed if we could confer the power for RA security checks onto the Delegate?

I agree with this. Special elections are a bit annoying. I also think that the other government positions should have replacements appointed by the Delegate and confirmed by the RA in the event of vacancies. I may propose a bill for that purpose in the future.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Well, that would be a kludgy fix, in my opinion, because then if we ever add any duties to the vice delegate, we have to include a provision that the acting chair of the security council will perform those duties in the absence of the vice delegate.

I do think the wording could be cleared up a bit though. I'll take another look at this when I have time.

That could be implicit in the wording of R3n's proposal, but I would have to agree that we should consider a devolution of duties clause. Essentially, we need to add a simple clause that in the absence of A, B needs to fulfill the duties of A, and so forth.

R3n's proposal, though, actually implies that by logic. Grosse brings up a good point also, but specific legislation rather than by amendment only expands the legal code unnecessarily. I know everyone hates RL examples, but in the US, if the President is absent, incapacitated, etc, permanently or temporarily, the Vice President assumes the duty of the President until the President's return, or replaces the President in the even the absence or removal is permanent.

Putting it into TNP context, it would be much more simple to simply bump up everyone in the line of succession rather than go through special elections. This is especially practical because it wouldn't require very much disruption to the order of things.

At least bump the LOS up temporarily to fulfil a vacancy so there is no discontinuation of government services, until such a time there is a conclusion of a special election. Not to disband special elections all together to finish out the term. But so the next in line can serve in the capacity until a successor can be elected.

In the current VD example. Aba became incapacitated by loss of Regional Assembly Status, so it triggered a special election, until its conclusion we currently basically do not have a Vice delegate.

Make it in the future if A can no longer fulfil their duties then B is next in line and will step in to fulfil the duties until such a time a replacement can be democraticly elected in a special election. So there isnt a vacancy in an office and someone will alwaye be in a position to execute said duties of office.

That also could be done, and it would solve the problem of processing security checks on new RA members as has just happened.

I'm in favour of R3n's proposal because it produces instant results, on ifs, ands or buts; and prevents the annoyance of special elections. People in the Line of Succession familiarise (or should do so) themselves with all the functions and duties of those that precede them in the order of succession so that there can be a quick, orderly and efficient devolution of duties if needs be.

We need to clear up defects in the existing process which resulted in this special election. The VD was removed on a technical point of the law despite the VD's absence under those laws had no material effect - anyone could have performed the duties of the Vice Delegate briefly without having to remove the VD and under go a special election.

I prefer r3n's proposal to Grosse's suggestion. We need it to be clear about the power of the first person in the line of succession to become "Acting Vice Delegate" and all of the duties held in that office.

plembobria:
I agree with this. Special elections are a bit annoying. I also think that the other government positions should have replacements appointed by the Delegate and confirmed by the RA in the event of vacancies. I may propose a bill for that purpose in the future.

This bill does not get rid of any special elections. It simply provides for the assignment of duties until one is completed.

r3naissanc3r:

I've been musing on the wording for this for a while - I think you're right that this could get more explicit in doing what you want it to do.

The first thing I'd like to point out that there is nowhere a clarification of what is meant by "unable to serve" - is it on a short leave of absence? A long one? Removed from the WA by the mods? Voluntary resignation? I think therefore we should either clarify that language or strike it. I'm personally in favor of striking it, since we already have language designed to deal with these cases - the "Vacancy" clause in the Legal Code.

So I think a better approach might be this:
11. In the case of a vacancy in the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the vacated position until the completion of a special election. The Vice Delegate or the person serving as Acting Vice Delegate will be considered available to assume the duties of the Delegate. No member of the line of succession who is serving as any other constitutionally-mandated elected official will be considered available to assume the duties of either position.

I added some restrictions to what you had - since the SC can serve elsewhere in government, I think we should definitely make sure that the speaker/justices/AG aren't also going to be serving as acting VD or acting D.

The only remaining issue is that in the Legal Code, the VD-serving-as-D hasn't vacated their position, they're in the lesser status of "absent" (thus not triggering a special election). We may want to add something to the Vacancy clause (or add a new clause to follow it) defining an absence and the procedures to follow (aka, don't hold a special election) - and then we could say "in the case of a vacancy or absence in the office..." and cover all of our bases.

I still believe that this proposal is unnecessarily broad and anticipates issues that haven't arisen, and are unlikely to arise. The only problem that arose was the inadvertent oversight in not allowing the acting chair of the Security Council to exercise the duties of the Vice Delegate with respect to Regional Assembly applicants, and that is as far as any legislative remedy should go. Since that need would only be for the short period between any vacancy or absence of the Vice Delegate pending a special election for Vice Delegate, Delegate, or both in sequence, depending on the circumstance, that is all we should be addressing.
The supporters of this proposal have failed to show any necessity for addressing anything more that this narrow set of circumstances, and I cannot support any legislation that is broader than absolutely necessary.

I have posted in the OP a substantial revision to the bill. I have incorporated many of Silly's suggestions, though a few of them in a different manner.

The bill introduces, as Silly suggested, the concept of an "absence" from an office. An absence means that the officer is by law temporarily unable to exercise the duties of their offices. For now, absences may occur only when that officer has temporarily assumed some other office as part of a succession line. Similar to vacancies, absences may also be filled temporarily (e.g., by SCers in the case of a VD's absence, by THOs in the case of Justice absences, or by Deputy Speakers in the case of Speaker absences). Unlike vacancies, absences do not trigger special elections. Note that "absence" does not mean being on a LoA. I have tried to make sure that the term "absence" and derivatives is used in this manner through the constitution and legal code, but a second check would not go amiss.

There is also a third concept we use in our laws, being "available" or "unavailable". I interpret being "available" as not being on a LoA. To reinforce this interpretation, I have amended the LoA clause of the legal code (6.1.15) to use this terminology. Availability is used when selecting THOs, Deputy Speakers, or when finding a successor in the line of succession. Availability is also used in 5.3.7, which allows the SC to authorize someone other than the VD to carry out security duties when the VD is away.

I have removed the terminology "acting Delegate/Vice Delegate" from anywhere in the legal code where it was used. I have replaced it with the terminology used in the constitution ("assume the duties of [office]"), for consistency reasons.

I have included a change to make sure that the VD is counted as a member of what is legally defined as the "line of succession". Currently, while it is clear that the VD is the first to success the Delegate, it is not clear whether they are actually in the "line of succession". Moreover, the relevant clause now also specifies that all SC members must be included in it.

Unlike Silly, I have permitted SCers who serve in some other constitutionally-mandated elected office to assume the duties of Delegate or Vice Delegate. This is because it can be very detrimental to regional security if the most influential (game influence) or highly-endorsed SCer is removed from the line of succession because they're serving as Speaker or Justice (the latter scenario happened very recently, when Roman was Justice). Instead, if such an SCer assumes the duties of Delegate or Vice Delegate, they are considered absent from their other office.

Finally, I have renamed the bill. I am not changing the title of the thread for now, to avoid confusion in case members are searching for the "Vice Delegate Succession Bill". The Speaker can edit the title if he thinks it's appropriate.

It may be better to use terms other than "absent" and "available" for the above. Any suggestions would be welcome. If this bill passes, we may also need to look at some of the related terminology used in RA and SC rules.

Below you see the changes the new version bill effects highlighted with BBcode.

11. If the Delegate is removed or unable to serve, the Vice Delegate will assume the duties of the Delegate. If the Vice Delegate is also unable to serve, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the Delegate. In the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the vacated position. The Vice Delegate or a person having assumed the duties of the Vice Delegate under this clause will be considered available to assume the duties of the Delegate. If a member of the line of succession assumes the duties of either position while serving in any other constitutionally-mandated elected office, they will be considered absent from that office.

4. The Regional Assembly may establish a line of succession beyond the Vice Delegate among the members of the Security Council by a majority vote. The line of succession must always include the Vice Delegate and all current Security Council members, and must always have the Vice Delegate in the first place. If a new member is admitted to the Security Council, they will be added at the end of the current line of succession. If a member is removed from the Security Council, they will be removed from the line of succession.

- If there is a vacancy on the Court one or more Justice positions are vacant, or any Justice is unavailable absent or has a conflict of interest, the remaining Justices will promptly appoint a the needed hearing officers from among available Regional Assembly members to participate as temporary Justices.
- If no Justices are available or all Justices have a conflict of interest If all Justices are either vacant or absent or have have a conflict of interest, the Delegate will promptly appoint the needed hearing officers from among available Regional Assembly members with the agreement of the Speaker.
- In implementing the previous clause, any person who has a conflict of interest will be treated as absent unavailable.
- Any hearing officer appointed under this Section must not have a conflict of interest and may not hold any other office while serving as a hearing officer.

In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the legal constitutionally-mandated elected office of the Delegate or, in the absence of a legal Delegate, the acting Delegate case of a vacancy in that office, the person that has assumed the duties of that office.

The Council may task a member with taking actions required under this chapter in the absence of the Vice Delegate when the Vice Delegate is not available.

Regional Assembly members that have submitted a notice of absence unavailabilty, in accordance with any regulations set by the Speaker, shall be exempt from the provisions of the above clause for the stated duration of their absence the period they are unavailable.

I haven't read the text yet - will do so tonight when I can give it a good look. Just wanted to comment that I'm totally fine with removing my Cameo language so long as absences are expanded to those potential offices. :)

I'm sure I will both like your changes and have further suggestions later. :P

Okay, I've got some suggestions! :)

11. In the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the vacated position. The Vice Delegate or a person having assumed the duties of the Vice Delegate under this clause will be considered available to assume the duties of the Delegate. If a member of the line of succession assumes the duties of either position while either serving in, or having assumed the duties of, any other constitutionally-mandated elected office, they will be considered absent from that office.
I think the blue addition makes the stricken text unnecessary.
4. The Regional Assembly may establish a line of succession by a majority vote. The line of succession must always include the Vice Delegate and all current Security Council members, and must always have place the Vice Delegate in the first place first. If a new member is admitted to the Security Council, they will be automatically added at the end of the current line of succession. If a member is removed from the Security Council, they will be automatically removed from the line of succession.
Just some tiny tweaks - the first set for flow, the second set to ensure it's clear that no vote need be held.
- Any hearing officer appointed under this Section must not have a conflict of interest and may not hold or assume the duties of any other office while serving as a hearing officer.
This one I'm less sure of - it would prohibit someone serving as hearing officer from assuming the duties of the delegate if that position were vacated, and that may not be what we want. Could always turn it around the other direction, and say that a hearing officer must resign in order to hold or assume the duties of another office? It makes more sense to force a vacancy than an absence here since the THO is inherently temporary, and it would be sort of silly to appoint someone as THO, then have them go absent to serve as delegate, then have them return and kick out their temporary replacement temporary hearing officer. Too much upheaval.
This might either conflict or redund (or both) with the Article 7, Section 12 change?
In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the constitutionally-mandated elected office of the Delegate or, in the case of a vacancy in that office, the person that has assumed the duties of that office.
I'm not sure about the phrasing here. Seems odd to define the delegate as the office. Perhaps "the person elected to the cmeo of the delegate or..."?

Sorry for the delay, last couple of days have been rather busy.
SillyString:
Okay, I've got some suggestions! :)

11. In the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the vacated position. The Vice Delegate or a person having assumed the duties of the Vice Delegate under this clause will be considered available to assume the duties of the Delegate. If a member of the line of succession assumes the duties of either position while either serving in, or having assumed the duties of, any other constitutionally-mandated elected office, they will be considered absent from that office.
I think the blue addition makes the stricken text unnecessary.
I think it's more general, but in a good way. It means that if an SCer assumes the duties of the Speaker, and then is called upon to assume the duties of D/VD, the latter take precedence.

SillyString:
4. The Regional Assembly may establish a line of succession by a majority vote. The line of succession must always include the Vice Delegate and all current Security Council members, and must always have place the Vice Delegate in the first place first. If a new member is admitted to the Security Council, they will be automatically added at the end of the current line of succession. If a member is removed from the Security Council, they will be automatically removed from the line of succession.
Just some tiny tweaks - the first set for flow, the second set to ensure it's clear that no vote need be held.
They all look fine to me.

SillyString:
- Any hearing officer appointed under this Section must not have a conflict of interest and may not hold or assume the duties of any other office while serving as a hearing officer.
This one I'm less sure of - it would prohibit someone serving as hearing officer from assuming the duties of the delegate if that position were vacated, and that may not be what we want. Could always turn it around the other direction, and say that a hearing officer must resign in order to hold or assume the duties of another office? It makes more sense to force a vacancy than an absence here since the THO is inherently temporary, and it would be sort of silly to appoint someone as THO, then have them go absent to serve as delegate, then have them return and kick out their temporary replacement temporary hearing officer. Too much upheaval.
Yeah, it's the same issue as the one I pointed out about the restriction you had originally proposed for SCers holding other offices. I'll just change it to say that if a THO assumes an office during their service, they're removed automatically (no need to bring them back).

SillyString:
This might either conflict or redund (or both) with the Article 7, Section 12 change?
I don't think it does either of these two. It relates to Article 7 Section 12 in the same way as the vacancy LC clause relates to Article 7 Section 12. Article 7 Section 12 provides the constitutional grounds enabling sub-constitution laws that exactly define and provide for filling vacancies. The amended Article 7 Section 12 additionally enables the same for absences, and the above clause is the sub-constitutional implementation of it. Its wording heavily borrows from the LC vacancy clause for this reason.

SillyString:
I'm not sure about the phrasing here. Seems odd to define the delegate as the office. Perhaps "the person elected to the cmeo of the delegate or..."?
Yep, will change.

This bill is now in formal debate for five days, after which a vote shall be scheduled.

I personally am a staunch believer in the adage "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". However unlikely the need for a chain of command may seem, I think it necessary to have one in the case that we do in fact need it. As the bill stands now, I am of the opinion that it does its job. I do not find it too broad; I find that it clearly lays out what to do in case of the unimaginable. I am fully behind this proposal.

r3n, I'll just like to note that as this is an omnibus bill, I won't allow this to go to vote until you put a provision on requiring all parts of the bill to be passed before it is enacted as law.

I am not sure whether the Speaker's previous post means that I need to move for a vote again. In case it does, I move we vote.

r3naissanc3r:
I am not sure whether the Speaker's previous post means that I need to move for a vote again. In case it does, I move we vote.
Since bills can be amended in formal debate, there was no need for me to suspend formal debate for this matter unless it wasn't resolved quickly.

Formal debate ends in two days.

Back