Happy Thanksgiving 2014!

Happy Thanksgiving

"Turkey day?!?! --- you mean there is a day in our honor? Do I get extra bread?"

Jack. I do not think Turkey Day means what you think it means.

Happy Thanksgiving from Jack and the girls!

(These Turkeys are for pets not for eats)

If you don't celebrate Thanksgiving have a good day.

What kind of Neat Holidays do Australians have? Anything similar to our 'harvest festivals'?

Let me sum up 'Thanksgiving' to those not in America:

In school we are taught that the first Thanksgiving was all about peace and goodwill and community that the Natives invited the fledging Pilgrims over for a potluck to break bread so they didn't starve. Any student of history however knows this not to be true, yet we still use the fictional backdrop for the holiday. I remember in school half the class would make construction paper pilgrim hats and half would make 'Indian' head dresses out of construction paper and faux arts and craft feathers. Keeping this in the background and the faux narrative of cooperation between European settlers and Native North Americans, some have adopted a Christian Religious tone to the holiday -- that one should be Thankful for what they have and spend time with family and friends, and what better way then over a delicious meal of Turkey, Ham, Stuffing and all the trimmings and side dishes? (There is nothing inherently wrong with being thankful for what you have and using any excuse to spend time with family.)

However, a large part of the holiday for the more dysfunctional families (I.E. probably a good majority of American Families) revolve around rehashing old family squabbles and rivalrys while NFL American Football blares all day in the background. Then after eating (depending on your family preference to eat early in the day and snack thruout the evening -- or snack all day and have the main meal in the evening) there is the manditory turkey tryptophan induced coma like family nap. When one wakes from the nap they prompty rush out and act like idiots spending money they do not have (after already spending money they do not have on an elaborate feast) purchasing mass produced consumer goods in the last major push until the next holiday Christmas. This is called Black Friday in America, though retailers are trying to cash in on consumer greed and Black 'Friday' is now starting to take place and begin on Thanksgiving Evening. After folks do this mad shopping spree ..and are broke...they are able to come home and eat turkey and dressing(stuffing) leftovers for a few days afterwards.

And this is how you explain to a non-american just exactly what Thanksgiving is all about.

So Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Thanksgiving: The second largest American holiday in November, second only to Black Friday, and followed by Election Day.

While it's true that some American Indian tribes did hold shared harvest festivals with early settlers in New England, these were quickly overshadowed by the wars between the two peoples. Nonetheless, thanksgiving can still be seen as a continuation of the tradition of harvest festivals, giving thanks for the bounty of the land, celebrated by both Europeans and Natives alike all over the American continent.

Back