Religious Freedom and Tolerance Act

I know I have submitted 2 other bills. But they have both been withdrawn. Do not take this as spam.

Legal Code Section 7.3: Religious Observance shall be removed from the TNP legal code and thus be rendered null and void:

Section 7.3: Religious Observance
14. Flemingovianism shall be adopted as the religion and church of The North Pacific.
15. All nations are guaranteed freedom of expression of all, any, or no religious belief, and that freedom shall not be curtailed.
16. The Flemingovian religion shall receive no financial or tax advantages through being the religion of The North Pacific.
17. Holidays of the Flemingovian religion shall be observed regionally, and all nations shall have the right to take a day off work, unpaid, on those holidays. Government officials are excluded from the effects of this clause.
18. No nation shall serve on the cabinet or any other appointed government position by virtue of their status in the Flemingovian religion.
19. Flemingovian officials may participate, as invited by the delegate, at all state functions.

The removed section shall be replaced by a new one dubbed "Section 7.3: Religious Freedom and Tolerance." Which shall read:

Section 7.3: Religious Freedom and Tolerance
14. The North Pacific shall have no regionally adopted religion.
15. No citizen of The North Pacific shall have any advantages, financial or social over anybody else, based on his/her religion.
16. All nations and citizens of the North Pacific shall have the right to practice whichever religion they choose, or no religion at all.

I think I need more alcohol before I deal with whatever you call bills.

You're going to get a huge negative reaction from the community over this one, and you probably won't understand why unless someone explains it to you.

The official religion issue has had a very long and drawn out regional conversation about it, and the vast majority of the community, whether they're for or against it, would rather the whole thing be put to bed and not discussed anymore, or at least for a year or two.

flemingovia:
Oh me. Here we go again.

FFS, JhonJoe, learn a little before opening your gob.

Lord Ravenclaw:
I think I need more alcohol before I deal with whatever you call bills.

Just to expand on what I am expressing ,JhonJoe, is that we had this debate not too long ago and it took A LONG TIME to come to a resolution. Your digging up resolved matters that caused conflicts between certain individuals in the community. I'm pretty sure some members would like to leave this matter, and not look back.

I support this bill :)

However, I don't think it will pass. Perhaps a less complete repeal of flemingovianism as a state religion might get less opposition?

Anyone criticising or questioning of the Official TNP State Religion will be met with a crucifixion.

That's Religions Freedom and Tolerance, TNP Style. :lol:

P.S.: I have nothing to do with this thread.

Eluvatar:

However, I don't think it will pass. Perhaps a less complete repeal of flemingovianism as a state religion might get less opposition?
What in your opinion would be, less complex?

Brilliant bill JhonsJoe. :clap: Full support. But since there seems to be a reluctance to debate this, might I suggest you move to an immediate vote, and see if there is enough support to invoke the 1/10th rule?

Don't say I didn't warn you. This is the most divisive issue in this community, and we'd all be better off if we could let the matter rest in peace.

I'm done reading this thread. Whatever happens, I don't want to be part of it.

Not necessarily sure whether this will be in anyway helpful or significant to any cause regarding this bill but JhonJoe look here if you haven't and take some time to read.

This is going to be interesting.

The motion (plus Flap's second) is recognised, it requires the support of 7 more members.

Eluvatar:
Oh, no! You glutton for punishment. You don't know what you are doing! God will be angry with you!

In light of this, I think you should have your shell coated with Kevlar and reactive armour. :P :lol:

I'm seeing more reactionary posts than just voting; we need to make a VOTE: Religious Freedom and Tolerance Act thread.

Syrixia:
I'm seeing more reactionary posts than just voting; we need to make a VOTE: Religious Freedom and Tolerance Act thread.
...is impersonation of the speaker's office a crime? :P

I oppose holding an immediate vote on this in the strongest of terms.

I would suggest something more like this:

Legal Code Section 7.3: Religious Observance shall be removed from the TNP legal code and thus be rendered null and void:

14. Flemingovianism shall be adopted as the religion and church of The North Pacific.
15. All nations are guaranteed freedom of expression of all, any, or no religious belief, and that freedom shall not be curtailed.
16. The Flemingovian religion shall receive no financial or tax advantages through being the religion of The North Pacific.
17. Holidays of the Flemingovian religion shall be observed regionally, and all nations shall have the right to take a day off work, unpaid, on those holidays. Government officials are excluded from the effects of this clause.
18. No nation shall serve on the cabinet or any other appointed government position by virtue of their status in the Flemingovian religion.
19. Flemingovian officials may participate, as invited by the delegate, at all state functions.
The removed section shall be replaced by a new one dubbed "Section 7.3: Religious Freedom and Tolerance." Which shall read:

14. The North Pacific will recognize one or more official regional religions.
16. At the request of at least one third of the Regional Assembly, a new religion may be recognized by The North Pacific.
17. The North Pacific will recognize Flemingovianism as an official regional religion.
18. The Speaker will update the previous clause as appropriate.
19. Religious officials may participate, as invited by the delegate, at all state functions.

That said, I would suggest inviting input from other opponents of the previous attempts to roll back the flemingovianism law, to try to find a solution which is not divisive the way all previous proposals on this subject have been.

I am so tired of this going round and round again and again.

Seriously, do what you want. I am done with it all, and this all.

Eluvatar:
I oppose holding an immediate vote on this in the strongest of terms.

I would suggest something more like this:

14. The North Pacific will recognize one or more official regional religions.
16. At the request of at least one third of the Regional Assembly, a new religion may be recognized by The North Pacific.
17. The North Pacific will recognize Flemingovianism as an official regional religion.
18. The Speaker will update the previous clause as appropriate.
19. Religious officials may participate, as invited by the delegate, at all state functions.

That said, I would suggest inviting input from other opponents of the previous attempts to roll back the flemingovianism law, to try to find a solution which is not divisive the way all previous proposals on this subject have been.
The Syrixian people support the revisions made by the Eluvataran government.

The simplest way to word the proposal is to just say that Section 7.3 of the Legal Code be repealed. Nothing more, nothing else, and do not propose any replacement language. I think this is what Eluvatar was actually suggesting, but I can't be sure because of the quoting of the original proposal in full in his suggestion. Maybe he can clarify what he was suggesting?

That's not correct. Elu has proposed a different replacement of 7.3 - he didn't quote the original proposal in his post.

I have returned to this thread despite my initial reaction because I think Eluvatar's amendment (which has been adopted by the OP) has merit and is worthy of debate by both sides.

Crushing Our Enemies:
That's not correct. Elu has proposed a different replacement of 7.3 - he didn't quote the original proposal in his post.

I have returned to this thread despite my initial reaction because I think Eluvatar's amendment (which has been adopted by the OP) has merit and is worthy of debate by both sides.
Uhhh. No it hasn't.

Then let us away with the original. I support an immediate vote. Any more debate on this will be like pulling teeth.

To be honest I just want to be left alone to get on with stuff. Things like the blessing of the sugar canes and the hymns have been an asset to the region. Just leave well alone.

JhonsJoe:
Crushing Our Enemies:

Uhhh. No it hasn't.
My mistake! I don't know what I was thinking.

I thought so too, at first, but I've changed my mind. I think Eluvatar's compromise is a good starting point, and merits debate. Clearly there is more than one way to do this, and I think the Assembly deserves a chance to talk it out.

Crushing Our Enemies:
I thought so too, at first, but I've changed my mind. I think Eluvatar's compromise is a good starting point, and merits debate. Clearly there is more than one way to do this, and I think the Assembly deserves a chance to talk it out.
As stated previously, this debate has been well visited in the past. however, I agree with COE on this one. I encourage the OP to carefully look over Elu's compromise and strongly consider adopting it as his suggested legislation. I believe an immediate vote would be both pointless and result in a failed bill.

Having said that, I can only ask that the members of the Regional Assembly remain civil and mature during this matter. I encourage people to refrain from sarcasm and personal insults. I'd like people to note that none of the parties involved with the initial bill nor the initial compromise proposal are involved in this one, nor was the Regional Assemblyman who is submitting it even present in TNP at the time. He has no loyalty nor association to either side, and certainly none to the prominent Regional Assembly persons who became the most prominent speakers for and against.

Also, per Elu and CoE, I think elus version is worth note. I do not have a problem with Flemingovianism specifically, but I have had reservations with making any religion a state religion. If there is a way to recognize Lord God Flemingovia and Flemingovianism for its cultural signfigance and improvements to the region and leave the door open for religious tolerance and not having an actual offical state religion...I am for it.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Also, per Elu and CoE, I think elus version is worth note. I do not have a problem with Flemingovianism specifically, but I have had reservations with making any religion a state religion. If there is a way to recognize Lord God Flemingovia and Flemingovianism for its cultural signfigance and improvements to the region and leave the door open for religious tolerance and not having an actual offical state religion...I am for it.
That would have to be stated in a separate bill. This legislation is for one purpose: to eliminate a state religion in TNP, thus promoting religious tolerance. If this bill passes, no main religion would allow every or no religion to be followed by the citizens of TNP. So I will not accept the revisions.

Back