The state religion act 2014

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
I did not realise until recently that we could legally just keep proposing stuff until it passed.
Therefore I present to the RA a bill to adopt Flemingovianism as the state religion. This is not a constitutional amendment.
I would invite people to remember that this is a game, not real life. It is perfectly possible to believe passionately in the separation of church and state in the state of Kentucky, but still recognise that in a game context it gives great scope for roleplay and the development of the region’s cultural life.
I also invite you to note that the proposal does not FORCE anyone to do ANYTHING. Under this proposal you can believe and practice whichever faith you wish, or none. This is enshrined in the Bill of Rights. All this does is adds a new dimension to our regional culture and allows the Delegate SHOULD THEY WISH to call on the services of Flemingovian priests, augurs, diviners, sellers of indulgences, pardoners etc.

So, here we go again:

The State Religion Act 2014
1. Flemingovianism shall be adopted as the Regional religion and church of the North pacific.
2. As per the Bill of Rights, section 2, all nations are guaranteed freedom of expression of all, any or no religious belief, and this shall not be curtailed.
3. The Flemingovian religion shall receive no financial or tax advantages through being the state religion of The North Pacific.
3. Holidays of the Flemingovian religion shall be observed regionally, and all nations shall have the right to take a day off work, unpaid, on those holidays.
4. No Flemingovian official shall serve on the cabinet or any other appointed government position by virtue of their status in the Flemingovian religion.
5. Flemingovian officials may participate, as invited by the delegate, at all state functions.

Why should you vote for this?

1. fun.
2. There are some people in the region whose heads might explode if this passes. that is always good for a chuckle.
3. Scope for roleplay.
4. it would give me confidence and some legal backing to reintroduce and develop Flemingovianism in TNP once again. Face it: you have missed it.

I wholeheartedly support this and all other silly measures. For too long has TNP been the sooper srs feeder.

I oppose any state religion of any form of any nature.

You have the guarantees in the Bill of Rights, that is all that is needed. And I'm not in a mood to feed Flem's ego any more than others are already feeding it. :)

I would like to suggest the following amended version of the bill:
1. The following clauses shall be appended to Chapter 7 of the Legal Code as a new section, entitled Section 7.3: Religious Observance:
  • Flemingovianism shall be adopted as the religion and church of The North Pacific.
  • All nations are guaranteed freedom of expression of all, any or no religious belief, and that freedom shall not be curtailed.
  • The Flemingovian religion shall receive no financial or tax advantages through being the religion of The North Pacific.
  • Holidays of the Flemingovian religion shall be observed regionally, and all nations shall have the right to take a day off work, unpaid, on those holidays. Government officials are excluded from the effects of this clause.
  • No nation shall serve on the cabinet or any other appointed government position by virtue of their status in the Flemingovian religion.
  • Flemingovian officials may participate, as invited by the delegate, at all state functions.
I wholeheartedly support this bill. As a Legal Code amendment, there is no question of the supremacy of the Bill of Rights, and thus no possible danger to freedom of religion. It serves only to enrich the culture of The North Pacific.

Grosseschnauzer:
I oppose any state religion of any form of any nature.

You have the guarantees in the Bill of Rights, that is all that is needed. And I'm not in a mood to feed Flem's ego any more than others are already feeding it. :)
You don't think voting on this will make a difference?

If voting made a difference, voting would be made illegal.

TNP will have its official state religion regardless of how offensive a State Religion is to anyone who believes in freedom in any form.

So, in the spirit of helping people drag the region into the mud by turning it into a Theocracy so that people will get so fed up that they will actually decide to change things (which has actually never happened before and likely not to happen in the near future)...

I say, let the people have what they want! Sometimes you have to give people exactly what they are asking for to teach them a good lesson (which, of course, some people are are so dim that they wouldn't learn to not step on land mines repeatedly until they found themselves lacking both legs. And even then, they'd probably learn to walk on their hands right into a mine field again. And then they'd still blame the very people who warned them about such stupidity).

I also think we should have in addition to a State Religion, a King, Royal Family, and even trial by ordeal in the courts and criminalize heresy! And then we can change the Regional Motto to BURN THE WITCH!

Making Flemingovianism into the State Religion would be a wonderful thing! Just think, we can now make official and formalize the Spanish Flemingovian Inquisition as an official state practice!

After all, no one expects the Flemingovian Inquisition!

igkrh5.jpg

"Nobody expects the Spanish Flemingovian Inquisition!

Our chief weapons are
Fear,
Arrogance,
Stupidity,
Narrow-Mindedness,
Narcissism,
And an almost fanatical devotion to
self aggrandizement!

But other than that, I think it would be a fun idea and promote even more viciousness and acrimony in TNP!

Now wouldn't that be really fun?

Hmm.. I think enshrining Flemingovianism as a 'state' religion flies in the face of religious freedom (favoring one religion over another). However, a non-legislative proposal that recognizes it as a religion would allow me to 'let the baby have his bottle', so to speak. :P Whatever you nutbars do with dried frogs is your own business.

All in favor!

Might I suggest deleting the second clause? The freedom to practice or not practice religion is guaranteed in the bill of rights - it doesn't need to be mentioned here.

If you really want it kept, though, I'm a huge fan of the Oxford comma, and therefore in my opinion it should read "all, any, or no religious belief". ^_^

falapatorius:
Hmm.. I think enshrining Flemingovianism as a 'state' religion flies in the face of religious freedom (favoring one religion over another). However, a non-legislative proposal that recognizes it as a religion would allow me to 'let the baby have his bottle', so to speak. :P Whatever you nutbars do with dried frogs is your own business.

Heh - Flemingovianism is recognized as something generally found in cow pastures and compost heaps.

But, as you say, we could have a non-legislative proposal that recognizes Flemingovianism as the official baby-bottle of TNP. That might work although the point of it seems rather, well, inane in a word.

Tim:
I fully support this glorious bill.

How about Francoism as the official state religion? :P :lol:

But seriously folks, when God sneezed, I didn't know what to say.

I think we should have Pastafarianism as the official state religion and amend the proposed bill as such:

1. Flemingovianism Pastafarianism, the worship of The Flying Spaghetti Monster shall be adopted as the Regional religion and church of the North pacific.

2. As per the Bill of Rights, section 2, all nations are guaranteed freedom of expression of all, any or no religious belief, and this shall not be curtailed except where provided by Law.

3. The Flemingovian Pastafarian religion shall receive no financial or tax advantages through being the state religion of The North Pacific.

3 4. Holidays of the Flemingovian Pastafarian religion shall be observed regionally, and all nations shall have the right to take a day off work, unpaid, on those holidays, and an endless supply of baby bottles and fresh diapers to keep the whiners satiated and silent which shall be at the tax payer's expense.

4. No Flemingovian official shall serve on the cabinet or any other appointed government position by virtue of their status in the Flemingovian religion.

5. Flemingovian officials may participate, as invited by the delegate, at all state functions.

5. An image of the Pastafarian Deity known as The Flying Spaghetti Monster shall be emblazoned on the Flag of The North Pacific, The Great Seal of The North Pacific and on the doors of all public latrines and dust bins in The North Pacific.

6. The numbering of this legislation shall be removed due to the recent laws which passed eliminating the need for such numbering, with a side order of pasta, meat balls optional.

7. A daily invocation and prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster shall be required of every citizen, subject, resident or visitor to the region; all oaths administered by the government shall also contain the invocation and prayer, the text of which is:

“Let us sing praise to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for He is a loving God. Of His might and dominion, there is no compare; of His mercy and deliciousness, there is no equal. No other god can challenge Him; in the taste test, He is invincible. Through His pasta, He has blessed us with everlasting life, and holy is His Name. For He is the Flying Spaghetti Monster: the One, True, and Most High God, creator of man and midgit, giver of pasta, giver of sauce, from age to holy age; not created He was, but ever He lives, through the glory of spaghetti, now and forever. R'Amen.”

8. The clause is just added to the bill to fill up even more space in Legal Code and to make things even more convoluted than a bowl of spaghetti. In the event of heart failure or death, immediately contact you health care provider. Not available to residents of New Jersey, Oklahoma or Kentucky. Void where prohibited. Only one per customer. No returns, refills or refunds. Do not remove this label under penalty of law. This law is only to be used for the purpose of which it is intended.

9. The Great Seal of His Most High Noodliness, The Flying Spaghetti Monster:

2egguj5.jpg

10. All hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster. May you all be touched by his noodley appendage.

11. OK, everybody eat!

This would be the only fitting legislation of this kind and very suitable for mucking up the legal code and constitution even more than it already is.

Romanoffia:
falapatorius:

Heh - Flemingovianism is recognized as something generally found in cow pastures and compost heaps.

But, as you say, we could have a non-legislative proposal that recognizes Flemingovianism as the official baby-bottle of TNP. That might work although the point of it seems rather, well, inane in a word.

Tim:

I think we should have Pastafarianism as the official state religion and amend the proposed bill as such:

1. Flemingovianism Pastafarianism, the worship of The Flying Spaghetti Monster shall be adopted as the Regional religion and church of the North pacific.

2. As per the Bill of Rights, section 2, all nations are guaranteed freedom of expression of all, any or no religious belief, and this shall not be curtailed except where provided by Law.

3. The Flemingovian Pastafarian religion shall receive no financial or tax advantages through being the state religion of The North Pacific.

3 4. Holidays of the Flemingovian Pastafarian religion shall be observed regionally, and all nations shall have the right to take a day off work, unpaid, on those holidays, and an endless supply of baby bottles and fresh diapers to keep the whiners satiated and silent which shall be at the tax payer's expense.

5. An image of the Pastafarian Deity known as The Flying Spaghetti Monster shall be emblazoned on the Flag of The North Pacific, The Great Seal of The North Pacific and on the doors of all public latrines and dust bins in The North Pacific.

6. The numbering of this legislation shall be removed due to the recent laws which passed eliminating the need for such numbering, with a side order of pasta, meat balls optional.

7. A daily invocation and prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster shall be required of every citizen, subject, resident or visitor to the region; all oaths administered by the government shall also contain the invocation and prayer, the text of which is:

“Let us sing praise to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for He is a loving God. Of His might and dominion, there is no compare; of His mercy and deliciousness, there is no equal. No other god can challenge Him; in the taste test, He is invincible. Through His pasta, He has blessed us with everlasting life, and holy is His Name. For He is the Flying Spaghetti Monster: the One, True, and Most High God, creator of man and midgit, giver of pasta, giver of sauce, from age to holy age; not created He was, but ever He lives, through the glory of spaghetti, now and forever. R'Amen.”

8. The clause is just added to the bill to fill up even more space in Legal Code and to make things even more convoluted than a bowl of spaghetti. In the event of heart failure or death, immediately contact you health care provider. Not available to residents of New Jersey, Oklahoma or Kentucky. Void where prohibited. Only one per customer. No returns, refills or refunds. Do not remove this label under penalty of law. This law is only to be used for the purpose of which it is intended.

2egguj5.jpg

10. All hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster. May you all be touched by his noodley appendage.

11. OK, everybody eat!

This would be the only fitting legislation of this kind and very suitable for mucking up the legal code and constitution even more than it already is.
As proposer, I do not accept this amendment. I do appreciate the length of the post, though.

SillyString:
All in favor!

Might I suggest deleting the second clause? The freedom to practice or not practice religion is guaranteed in the bill of rights - it doesn't need to be mentioned here.

If you really want it kept, though, I'm a huge fan of the Oxford comma, and therefore in my opinion it should read "all, any, or no religious belief". ^_^
The second clause is not technically necessary, but I felt it useful to underscore that this act does not secretly make everyone a flemingovian.

I will have a look at the comma situation.

As an aside, the correct response to god sneezing is the punjabi word "waheguru", which translates "glorious lord".

Glad to be of help.

I have thought about the idea of having this as a non-legislative proposal, and I think I will not go with such an idea. It would accomplish nothing.

So OK, it took me this long to understand TNP is not Kentucky, even though the latter sounds much more silly than the former, and more likely to have a made up religion as official.

I also understand that TNP culture without Flemingovianism is not complete, and looking at the Court threads makes me feel like having a Fiqh instead, sometimes.

Therefore, I change my mind and I support this bill.

flemingovia:
Romanoffia:
falapatorius:

Tim:

2egguj5.jpg

11. OK, everybody eat!

As proposer, I do not accept this amendment. I do appreciate the length of the post, though.
Let me say something right now.

Having an official State Religion is just about as appealing as the Salem Witch Trials or any number of Fascist Regimes.

You should know better than to propose such an abortion as an Official State Religion in the first place. The whole idea is disgusting and will eventually disintegrate into a truly Fascist system where anyone who does not comply will be marginalized and ultimated expelled.

I don't give a hoot about any clauses in the bill that claim that there will be no 'religious' discrimination against non-Flemingovian people, as that is just a means of covering up the fact that such a result will be the unintended or even intended result.

Official State Religions is a matter that transcends IC and OOC positions regardless of the intent for silliness.

Untold millions have been murdered throughout history, and are still murdered to this day over the enforcement of a State Religion and the idea of an "Officially Recognized" State Religion is such an offensive concept regardless of the humor involved that it borders on the worst of humanly contrived atrocities.

Instituting an "Officially Recognized State Religion" in TNP is tantamount to recognizing as a base for a region certain distasteful RL regimes that are considered to be offensive, no matter how harmless or humorous the initial intent is.

Such a thing as an "Official State Religion" in TNP is offensive to the point that it transcends game play.

Democratic Donkeys:
No it doesn't. :)
Considering you worship the Porcelain God considering your apparent lack of any sensitivity to mass murder victims throughout history, I will consider your answer a special case of jackassiness.

Yes, there is an absolute link between supporting an amendment to a made up legal code in an online game and insensitivity to real world mass murder. Someone suggested you take some time away from the forum, I will echo that suggestion.

The whole idea is disgusting and will eventually disintegrate into a truly Fascist system where anyone who does not comply will be marginalized and ultimated expelled.

Hyperbole much?

This proposal will lead to fascism just as much as the resignation or removal of a justice will lead to the crumbling of the entire constitution.

Echoing DD, this is an online game. It is good to remember this from time to time.

This proposal is about religion, and we all know that men judge by outward appearance, but god looks to the heart.

As I have said, the adoption of Flemingovianism as our regional religion removes nothing from our life and adds a new dimension to our culture - one that none of the feeders (except perhaps Osiris) have developed before.

I fail to see how this bill would fully comply with Clause 2 of the Bill of Rights:

2. Each Nation's rights to free speech, free press, and the free expression of religion shall not be infringed, and shall be encouraged, by the governmental authorities of the region. Each Nation has the right to assemble, and to petition the governmental authorities of the region, including the WA Delegate, for the redress of grievances. The governmental authorities of the region shall act only in the best interests of the Region, as permitted and limited under the Constitution.

Favoring one religion or any religion, over another or none at all infringes the rights of Nations to chose to not have a religion. Designating religious holidays as official holidays, in any guise, creates an oppressive burden on those who choose not to accept that religion.

This bill is simply unconstitutional, and no matter how you try to decorate the sow to try and make it look pretty, it is still a sow. If one wants to observe Flemingovianism out of personal choise of expressing a religion, they are already free to do that. What they, individually or collectively, not allowed to do is to impose that expression on others directly or indirectly,as that infringes the rights of others not to express that religion, or any religion.

It's a bad bill, and ot should not see the light of day as law.

falapatorius:
Sorry Flem, but you ain't 'bring home to mummy' material either. Nobody gives a damn about DD.
That may be your viewpoint, but you don't speak for everyone. The fact that you think Flemingovia and I are at all comparable shows how little you know about this region and its people. Flemingovia is far better than I, lowly worm that I am. I accept my fugliness, for my Lord hath spoken--and He never errs

Grosse, we have been round the houses again and again as to whether this bill is constitutional. A vote was allowed on this topic as a constitutional amendment back in January, and is being allowed now.

The right TNPers have is freedom of expression of any religion they choose. I support that wholeheartedly, and nothing in this bill prevents the expression of any faith, or none.

Stop throwing up straw men. If you do not like the idea of a state religion, vote against. Allow others the freedom to vote as they choose on the matter.

"debate" implies that people are going to read the actual proposal and come at it without prejudice or blinkers. I think those willing to do so posted earlier, so I move to vote.

Seconds are not necessary for legislative proposals. The bill is now in formal debate. Formal debate shall conclude in five days, at which time a vote shall be scheduled.

Back