The state religion act 2014

You can still discuss the legislation in this thread. Formal Debate ending just means that no more changes can be made to the proposal and that the Speaker will put it to a vote.

I honestly hate to see the bickering that has gone on and on and on over this nonsense. And I can't to play the blame game or take sides, because something about both parties just makes my blood boil.

I guess I totally agree with PWL42 on something for once.

But now, I don't know what is OOC and IC.

OOC, I'll put it as cleraly as i can.

Everything about Flemingovianism is roleplay. I am the player of an online game. I have a job, kids, a mortgage. I do not have a messiah complex.

Nothing in this bill is an attempt to take over the region or launch holy war, an inquisition or any other dire predictions that have been made.

To be honest, this started out as fun, but my worries that some people cannot see the line between game and reality have me worndering whether it might have been kinder of me not to put them under this sort of conflict.

Sheesh, folks. It's a game.

Yrkidding:
Quite frankly, the proposition of this bill, as I understand it, is again simply to grant a powerless title to a single religion which only has the potential for negative results and future discrimination and therefore a waste of the valuable time of the Regional Assembly.
You misunderstand it. The proposition of this is to simply grant a powerless title to a single religion that will contribute to our culture, widen our opportunities for roleplay and generally add something to our region.

There is no opportunity for discrimination presented within this bill.

Nierr:
Yrkidding:
Quite frankly, the proposition of this bill, as I understand it, is again simply to grant a powerless title to a single religion which only has the potential for negative results and future discrimination and therefore a waste of the valuable time of the Regional Assembly.
You misunderstand it. The proposition of this is to simply grant a powerless title to a single religion that will contribute to our culture, widen our opportunities for roleplay and generally add something to our region.

There is no opportunity for discrimination presented within this bill.
I suppose the benefits of contributions to our culture are apparent and it is true that it does add role-play oppourtunities that may very well outweigh the consequences of the proposal. Nonetheless I disagree that there is no oppourtunity for discrimination and I do believe I pointed out in my initial post a couple instances of potential discrimination. In addition, I hope you realize the very act of granting of this powerless title to a single religion is an act of discrimination in that it grants special status to a single religion and does not grant this same special status to any other religion.

Sorry, I still do not see the discrimination thing.

I could understand the concern if the act said, at any point, "ONLY flemingovianists may do such and such...>" it does not.

I live in the UK, where we have a state religion - Anglicanism.

My mayor IRL at the moment is a Muslim; he invites the imam to lead prayers etc.

Nothing in this act prevents a delegate from asking anyone else to do anything. I honestly do not see how anyone is discriminated against in the wording of the act.

Except, perhaps, in their own heads. there is not a lot I can do about that.

There is no law that would prevent other religions from seeking the same recognition. The only thing preventing that from happening is the fact that there are no other NS religions around in TNP at the moment.

mcmasterdonia:
There is no law that would prevent other religions from seeking the same recognition. The only thing preventing that from happening is the fact that there are no other NS religions around in TNP at the moment.
First to Flemingovia, of course you're correct, it does not say "Only" and therefore should not be read that way, my point there was a rather weak one in that I could see that a future government could perhaps interpret the clause in that manner,
Secondly to mcmasterdonia, I think that is something that perhaps wasn't made clear. I was under the impression that there would be only one state religion instead of your understanding that any religion could apply to also be recognized as a religion of the state. Though I fear that that could lead to dozens of state religions, I don't believe that that is of significant concern. Could I ask for Flemingovia's confirmation that mcmasterdonia's interpretation is, indeed, correct?

McM is quite right.

This is a democracy. If the people vote for it, there is no preventing the same act being passed with Flemingovianism being crossed out and the name of another religion being inserted! This would give us two recognised state religions.

All that has happened is that i am the first to see the roleplay potential in this, and get the ball rolling.

I hope you support the bill - and if you want to start your own religion and go the same route, good luck to you.

That interpretation, which I unfortunately didn't recognize at first, changes things significantly. That allows any group that feels discriminated to apply for a path out of said "discrimination" and for any religion that wishes to do so to apply for recognition as a state religion. Having said that, it is still my belief that religion has no place in government and so you have only partially convinced me and as a result I shall be abstaining from this vote instead of voting nay. I wish you all the best though.

flemingovia:
But now, I don't know what is OOC and IC.

OOC, I'll put it as cleraly as i can.

Everything about Flemingovianism is roleplay. I am the player of an online game. I have a job, kids, a mortgage. I do not have a messiah complex.

Nothing in this bill is an attempt to take over the region or launch holy war, an inquisition or any other dire predictions that have been made.

To be honest, this started out as fun, but my worries that some people cannot see the line between game and reality have me worndering whether it might have been kinder of me not to put them under this sort of conflict.

Sheesh, folks. It's a game.
Oh, good. Now that this point is settled, Can I create the second official TNP Postage Stamp to commemorate the state religion?

But seriously, you need to now create TNP's first Televangelists Thread. Now that would be funny.

BTW, congrats on your state religion stuff. I hope it will be fun.

I can't wait. You need to revive the Fiqh and create a church hierarchy and detailed temple ritual. Make it good. I mean, make it really good.

And if you disappoint us, the Cheese God and the Flying Spaghetti Monster will be angry. And Wotan and Thor will send you hate mail.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
I perfer Odin to Wotan. The Scandinavians scare me more then the Germanics
That is true. The Scandinavian Norse Deities are a bit more fierce than the Wagnerian versions. The prose and poetic Eddas are absolutely frightful.

I know that. It's just a spelling issue that delineates between the actual Norse mythology and the Wagnerian mythos which is actually totally foreign to Germanic mythology (the Germans largely being more Celt than Norse, historically speaking). :P

Back