Appeal Procedure Reform Act

This is a perfectly sensible, reasonable and rational piece of legislation. I'm am fairly sure it will fail to pass precisely because of that. :P

Romanoffia:
This is a perfectly sensible, reasonable and rational piece of legislation. I'm am fairly sure it will fail to pass precisely because of that. :P
Thanks for the reassurance. It doesn't look like it though. :cry:

I voted against because the author did not respond to the concerns raised about the implementation of this bill - either to make changes or to defend their approach.

I voted against because there has been only one conviction in the history of TNP jurisprudence. An appeal process would be something to consider if and when there is more demand for it.

However, I do applaud Plembobria for contributing the proposal. Not many new RA members jump right in with both feet. Don't give up!

SillyString:
I voted against because the author did not respond to the concerns raised about the implementation of this bill - either to make changes or to defend their approach.

I was actually going to amend the bill and incorporated your idea of temporary judicial appointments. That was the same day the bill was put to a vote. I admit I was a bit to hasty in moving for a vote in the first place.

Romanoffia:
There is no objectivism in the region. Which begs the question, Who is John Galt?
Upon hearing the question, Atlas shrugged.

:agree:

Ironically, silly legislation usually passes and good legislation gets trampled into the mud. It's a TNP tradition.

Romanoffia:

Ironically, silly legislation usually passes and good legislation gets trampled into the mud. It's a TNP tradition.

If we supported all of your proposals and those proposals you lend your support to, there would be nothing left for you to complain about! :fish: :console:

mcmasterdonia:
Romanoffia:

If we supported all of your proposals and those proposals you lend your support to, there would be nothing left for you to complain about! :fish: :console:
Oh, yes there would. I am a very creative person. :lol:

Now, if we reduced our entire legal code to, "Thou shalt not harm another", it would greatly simplify everything by cluttering up the Court and producing a really big heap of corpses. :P

Personally I prefer the alternate phrasing, "Don't be a dick."

I think if our legal code included only a single crime, that of "Being a dick", we would have both an improved ability to address novel misbehaviors, and also attain a conviction rate more in line with reasonable expectations. "Was it treason?" "Welllllll, ehhh, I mean, the definition... if you look at the words... did it really qualify as technically...." "Were they a dick?" "Oh my yes."

SillyString:
Personally I prefer the alternate phrasing, "Don't be a dick."

I think if our legal code included only a single crime, that of "Being a dick", we would have both an improved ability to address novel misbehaviors, and also attain a conviction rate more in line with reasonable expectations. "Was it treason?" "Welllllll, ehhh, I mean, the definition... if you look at the words... did it really qualify as technically...." "Were they a dick?" "Oh my yes."
Not a bad idea, but I like the 'thou shalt not harm another' clause a more objective test as to whether a crime has been committed. Simply concluding that someone is being a piece of genitalia as a test would be idiotic because a piece of a generative organ would not have the capacity to function on its own.

In other words, being 'dickish' is too subjective. There must be a threshold of absolute wrong doing with malice aforethought which would indicate an attempt to or resulting in real harm. Your proposal would simply result in one class of people being able to go around and calling people dicks and another class not being permitted to do the same. And this would not be any different than what we already have now. :lol: :fish:

"Being a dick" is subjective, but "doing harm" isn't? :blink:

I also disagree with the requirement for malice aforethought. While intent is relevant, it is not exclusively determining, and it is wholly possible to both be a dick and do someone harm without intending to do so. Intent doesn't negate result.

Being a dick doesn't necessarily imply any harm real or intended. In fact, I can think of many instances in which referring to someone as being a dick would be insulting to a perfectly useful part of the human anatomy.

We could automate the whole process of detecting dickishness by simply installing a script that displays the following message and continue to let individuals determine what action to follow:

2im3n6x.jpg

Just a though.

Romanoffia:
There is no objectivism in the region. Which begs the question, Who is John Galt? ;)
I know the answer to this one. He is a character in Atlas Shrugged.

The question came up in a pub quiz I was in a few weeks ago.

Romanoffia:
Being a dick doesn't necessarily imply any harm real or intended. In fact, I can think of many instances in which referring to someone as being a dick would be insulting to a perfectly useful part of the human anatomy.

We could automate the whole process of detecting dickishness by simply installing a script that displays the following message and continue to let individuals determine what action to follow:

2im3n6x.jpg

Just a though.
It won't let me click on the "be a dick too" option. :/

Romanoffia:
Being a dick doesn't necessarily imply any harm real or intended.
I disagree. If someone is being a dick there is some harm - either to the region or to the community or to an individual. Committing espionage harms the region, attacking someone personally harms them specifically as well as the broader community by modeling unacceptable and unwelcome behavior. Even lesser forms of dickish behavior can do the latter. Someone may not mind if I call them a bloody stupid idiot, but doing so is a terrible example to set for others and drags down the overall civility of the place. That's being a dick, and that's harm.

flemingovia:
Romanoffia:
There is no objectivism in the region. Which begs the question, Who is John Galt? ;)
I know the answer to this one. He is a character in Atlas Shrugged.

The question came up in a pub quiz I was in a few weeks ago.

Thank you. At least someone's paying attention. ;)

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Romanoffia:

2im3n6x.jpg

Just a though.
It won't let me click on the "be a dick too" option. :/

Your option choice has been duly noted. :lol:

SillyString:
Romanoffia:
Being a dick doesn't necessarily imply any harm real or intended.
I disagree. If someone is being a dick there is some harm - either to the region or to the community or to an individual. Committing espionage harms the region, attacking someone personally harms them specifically as well as the broader community by modelling unacceptable and unwelcome behaviour. Even lesser forms of dickish behaviour can do the latter. Someone may not mind if I call them a bloody stupid idiot, but doing so is a terrible example to set for others and drags down the overall civility of the place. That's being a dick, and that's harm.

But the question is, was anyone's dick being harmed or impugned by the whole incident?

The problem is that being a dick is largely a matter of free speech, symbolic or otherwise. Making an act of dickatude a criminal offence would make a veritable circus of the Court resulting in the Court being accused of dickishness if it chose to prosecute some accusations and not others, likewise for the AG's office in which some of us readily admit we can be somewhat dickish at times (and often proud of it).

Also, being a dick is often in the eye of the beholder. (OK, that was a clever statement in a rather 5th grade way, and hence possibly dickish). Of couse, we would also have to include in any such Don't be a Dick legislation various cultural considerations (out of political correctness) by also including such ethnic terms as Schmuck and Schwantz. You know, just to be fair.

And, of course, we would have to pen a WA resolution titled, "Don't be a Dick" or "Condemn the Dicks" so we can inflict such concepts upon the rest of the world (who are probably mostly dicks anyway). :P

plembobria:
How about don't be like SillyString?

Just Kidding.

There is already a script for that, but not specifically for SillyString.

20aymtv.jpg

:cheese:

Back