The Run-Off Bill

Alunya

TNPer
TNP Nation
Alunya
For your consideration:

Revised Draft

The Run-Off Bill:
Chapter 4, Section 4.2 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific shall be amended by appending the following definition to that section:
Section 4.2: Election Law Definitions:
A "run-off" shall be defined as an additional election following an election wherein either (a) the leading candidate(s) has (or have) failed to attain the required majority of votes, or (b) a tie for the most votes has occurred in an election where plurality is permissible.
Chapter 4, Section 4.3 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific shall be amended by inserting the following clause between clauses ten (10) and eleven (11) of that section:
Section 4.3: Overall Election Law:
The eligible candidates for a run-off shall be either (a) all candidates tied for first place in the plurality if more than one, or (b) the sole candidate in first place plus all candidates in the plurality tied for second place where a required majority is specified.

The Run-Off Bill:
Chapter 4, Section 4.2 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific shall be amended by appending the following definition to that section:
Section 4.2: Election Law Definitions:
A "run-off" shall be defined as an additional election following an election wherein the leading candidate(s) has (or have) failed to attain the required majority of votes.
Chapter 4, Section 4.3 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific shall be amended by inserting the following clause between clauses ten (10) and eleven (11) of that section:
Section 4.3: Overall Election Law:
The eligible candidates for a run-off shall be either (a) all candidates tied for first place in the plurality if more than one, or (b) the sole candidate in first place plus all candidates tied for second place in the plurality.

>^,,^<
Alunya

SillyString:
Note: A majority of votes is not required in all elections.
Precisely. Those offices that require a majority and those offices that require merely a plurality are specified in the Constitution.

This defines what a run-off is, and does so with reference to a required majority of votes.

It also defines who the eligible candidates are if a run-off is required.

>^,,^<
Alunya

I would prefer "the required percentage" of the votes, since majority has very specific meaning in elections.

For the second bit, that's definitely a good idea. I think it might be better phrased like this:

• The eligible candidates for a majority run-off are either:
    • All candidates tied for first place, when no individual candidate has the highest number of votes.
    • The candidate in first place and all the candidates tied for second place.
  • The eligible candidates for a plurality run-off are all candidates tied in first place.

I see your point -- I hadn't considered the possibility of a tie for the most votes in an election where a plurality is permissible.

I've revised the original to include this possibility.

In the definition, I have still included the phrase "required majority," which addresses all elections where a majority is specified, whether it be a simple or a super-majority (by either fraction, fraction plus one, percentage, or percentage plus one.) The second part addresses the event of a tie in an election where a plurality is permissible.

As for candidate eligibility, subclause (a) should be sufficient to cover a run-off in an election where a plurality is permissible as well as a tie for first in an election where there is a required majority. Subclause (b) has been modified to make clear that it is only applicable in instances where a required majority is specified, all other conditions having been met (one candidate with the most votes, a tie for second, and the required majority not having been attained.)

I hope this covers all the boundary conditions. I think this is equivalent to the common law that The North Pacific has been following, but now makes it explicit in a Positivist Law manner. It isn't strictly necessary in that we have so far managed with common sense, but common sense being not so common at times, it might be prudent to put it in writing once and for all.

If you or someone else would be kind enough to introduce it for consideration in the Regional Assembly, I would greatly appreciate it. You are, of course, welcome to make modifications as you see fit -- it isn't my bill, after all!

>^,,^<
Alunya

The revised edition is very well and very tightly constructed, and clears up any ambiguities in the present legal construction.

And it eliminates several potential possibilities for chronic 'run-on-itis'.

I'm in the process of drafting Legal Code legislation, so I could incorporate this. However, I wouldn't want this to fail because of disagreement over the changes I'm proposing. It could always be introduced at another time. The next election cycle is a couple of months away so..

Back