The Additional Religious Observance Act.

@Silly String: You're seeing demons where there are none. I was just flipping the coin and taking a different tack (perspectively..??). I believe I've made myself clear about my stance on this issue. My point is any number of arguments can be made (each with it's own merit, such as it is). We're not litigating here, right?

@COE: You say potato, I say potahto. :P

falapatorius:
My point is any number of arguments can be made (each with it's own merit, such as it is).
In any given topic of conversation, any number of arguments can be made with varying degrees of merit. Once they are made, they are subject to dissection and criticism. This is no exception.

If you want to play devil's advocate, have at - I am still waiting for an explanation for how anybody's freedom of religious expression is being infringed upon.

falapatorius:
@Silly String: You're seeing demons where there are none. I was just flipping the coin and taking a different tack (perspectively..??). I believe I've made myself clear about my stance on this issue. My point is any number of arguments can be made (each with it's own merit, such as it is). We're not litigating here, right?

@COE: You say potato, I say potahto. :P
Now, now, don't make fun of the arrested development types. It's not polite and unacceptable in the Oligarchy's eyes.

What most proponents of State Religion fail to see is that the very law in our legal code is indeed Discrimination Under Colour of Law.

But I figure, why not give them all the tools of tyranny they really want? Give them enough rope, as the old adage goes! :lol:

As the bill sponsor and I havent even motioned FD yet. This is simply a discussion stage. I dont think a motion from a member for an immediate vote is prudent nor legal, I am under the impression the bill sponsor has to do that.

Hmmm, it does require the inclusion of the original proposer to motion for an immediate vote. It does not, however, state the the proposer has to initiate the motion for an immediate vote to be scheduled. Perhaps I will continue this motion in the hopes that at least 10% of the RA will support it, which may persuade the proposer to join the motion. Maybe it will be purely symbolic, but it is hardly illegal, or in my opinion imprudent.

Romanoffia:
What most proponents of State Religion fail to see is that the very law in our legal code is indeed Discrimination Under Colour of Law.
It took you this long to understand that we're asking you to explain how this is so because we're not seeing it?

Will you now please provide an explanation for how this is so? Because I am still not seeing it.

Edit: Having looked up the phrase "discrimination under color of law", I'm really not seeing it. Laws themselves cannot qualify under this descriptor, as it applies only to discriminatory actions which use the wording of a law as their justification. This is a pretty good primer on the term for anybody unfamiliar with it.

So really what I'm looking for is either a list of discriminatory actions which have been taken under this law, or an explanation of how this law promotes discrimination.

It might be worth bearing in mind that discrimination for any reason isn't actually any kind of crime in TNP.

Romanoffia:
Now, now, don't make fun of the arrested development types. It's not polite and unacceptable in the Oligarchy's eyes.
If you lack the intellectual capacity to understand what I am about to say

You know, you might persuade more people to your point of view if you did not belittle the intelligence of those who disagree with you.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
As the bill sponsor and I havent even motioned FD yet. This is simply a discussion stage. I dont think a motion from a member for an immediate vote is prudent nor legal, I am under the impression the bill sponsor has to do that.
The debate has been going on for a week, lasts five days and I can see little significant progress in the discussion.

Paulwall, can you give any cogent reason why this should not go to formal debate and vote?

PaulWallLibertarian42:
I keep getting confused on which "lemming" is speaking :P i look at icons not forum names.
:agree:

I agree with paulWall. It is incredibly annoying and prevents me telling you Flemingovians apart. Please stop it.

flemingovia:
PaulWallLibertarian42:
The debate has been going on for a week, lasts five days and I can see little significant progress in the discussion.

Paulwall, can you give any cogent reason why this should not go to formal debate and vote?
As you yourself said there has been little progress. There seems to be different factions facing off. And at this time I do not feel there is enough support as the bill sponsor to motion for formal debate at this time. There has been many instances where a sponsor introduces a piece for debate and it never makes it to FD and it gets withdrawn or the speaker archives the discussion after 30 days. Not every proposal makes it to FD. As I do not see majority support for this particular addition to our legal code I am apprehensive to motion it futher out of the simple discussion phase at this time - as is my prerogative.

This informal discussion however has brought up an interresting point. It seems one faction has claimed that the BOR protects everyone from being able to freely express and associate with religious belief in the region -- no matter if said religion has a clause in the legal code or not. Certianly Flemingovianism would also be protected by the BOR rather it was enshrined in the legal code as 'Offical State Religion' or not. Ipso facto it is protected no matter if it is in the legal code or not, the same as Discordian FSM, or Church of the Thirteen or any other fringe religion that may pop up. It then begs the question why Flemingovianism was allowed to be in the legal code in the first place - it's adherents were free to practice before, are free to practice now, and would be free to practice in the future. There was no real NEED to add it to the legal code expect out of some notion about enhanced role play, but it was added. (And I have no issue with TNP role play religion or Flemingovianism - i sought to be included prior to any legal code additions. I think its a neat concept. Though yes I do not know why it should or needs to be in the code. BOR protections should suffice)

Since it was added to the legal code, my stance is for equal protection under the law all other TNP role play religion should then also be added. It is either all of them are added to the legal code or none of them should be.

Or we need to add an establishment clause to the constiution and/or BOR that reads thusly as a mere idea/suggestion. *Warning: yes, I'm plagiarising a fair use public domain document the United States Constitution - sue me*

The Regional Assembly shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
It then begs the question why Flemingovianism was allowed to be in the legal code in the first place - it's adherents were free to practice before, are free to practice now, and would be free to practice in the future. There was no real NEED to add it to the legal code expect out of some notion about enhanced role play, but it was added.
Of course we were, are, and will be free to practice our religion. I don't recall anybody claiming otherwise.

You're stating this as though it's just been discovered, except it's what's been said all along. Supporters of the addition believed, and continue to believe, that it will enhance our role play options and add more flair and flavor to our government. It is the same reason we add holidays, or a regional seal and flag, or other changes of that nature. There is no need for any of this legislation (and yet, I do not see the same outcry about new holidays), but that doesn't mean there isn't a benefit to them.

Since it was added to the legal code, my stance is for equal protection under the law all other TNP role play religion should then also be added. It is either all of them are added to the legal code or none of them should be.
Yet again, I ask: In what way are other religions not granted equal protection? In what way are the rights of other religions and/or their adherents infringed upon? Why is it important that it be all or nothing? After all, nobody demands that all imaginable flags be added to the Legal Code as official TNP flags - we have only one, and yet TNPers remain free to fly whatever flags they wish for themselves.

*Warning: yes, I'm plagiarising a fair use public domain document the United States Constitution - sue me*

time for a video rebuttal:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN1h5av2Bj0[/video]

I ask that members refrain from further liberal use of songs. The motion for an immediate vote is noted, it will require the support of another seven members and the bill's sponsor in order to be successful.

I do not support an immediate vote motion at this time and therefore do not plan on supporting such a motion. I am content on keeping this in the informal discussion period at this time.

You know, this is all a waste of time. The Oligarchy will not permit any legislation that is not first approved by them. Democracy has been reduced to a sham and mob-rule in TNP.

And anyone who points that out... well, never mind. We know where that road takes this region...

Crushing Our Enemies:
For someone so resigned and disillusioned, you sure do complain a lot.
I'm resigned to fight against the total sacking of Democracy, The Constitution and The Bill of Rights that is happening in this region.

I am totally disillusioned at the decay and destruction of democracy in this region, vote suppression, vanity legislation in the form of a State Religion Act, the open program of silencing legitimate dissent,

You know what I am really disillusioned at?

I'm really disillusioned that the very people person who are calling this a 'political simulation' is simulating the government of The North Pacific into a Totalitarian/Authoritarian arrangement in which those who do not go along with the plans of a select few eternal power holders are silenced by one means or another. I am disillusioned that legitimate dissent is met by violent opposition directed by a handful of power-mongers to the point that Democracy has been replaced by mob-rule by an unthinking mob of lemmings and sheep.

So, go ahead, prevent a bill from going to a vote. Show the true colours of what this government is sliding towards: Totalitarianism/Authoritarianism in which any and all dissent will be met with violent opposition from a handful of people hell-bent on erasing Democracy.

Romanoffia:
So, go ahead, prevent a bill from going to a vote.
Try reading the thread. Most people are trying to move this on to formal debate and vote.

For Example, DD, in 12th August: " I motion for an immediate vote on this proposal. "

The person blocking this from happening is PaulWall

Not everything that gets submitted for informal discussion/debated HAS to be motioned into formal debate or be voted on. That is why it is called the discussion period. To throw ideas out there and see what kind of support there is or is not there.

As much as inclusion is something I feel strongly about --- from these informal discussions I do not see a consensus for support of the motion. As such I do not feel I should waste the RAs time in motioning something foreward that is not supported. Why force something through that people aren't going to vote for?

At the same time, as I said, I feel strongly about providing equality under the law -- and yes have a "everyone should be included in the LC or no one." "Everybody counts or no body counts." Therefore I am hesitant to withdraw the motion as I am hoping those who have voiced their disagreement may change their mind or more RA members may come out and support it. There is like 50-60+ RA members but only like 7 or 8 seem to comment at a given time.

We obviously have different understandings of what this area is for. I think this should be used for actually proposing and drafting legislation, and there should be a progression from informal debate to formal debate to vote.

If you just want to kick ideas around and see what support there is out there for it, it seems to me the Agora is the place for that.

I am with Flem on this, if things get to be discussed on the halls of the assembly it should be with the intention of eventually moving them forward to vote. If it is only posted as a theoretical discussion of ways and forms, then why not simply make a thread for it in some debate center forum?

Because if there was support for it then I would move it forward. What since does it make to move something forward that has no support? So if you knew your bill wouldnt pass you would still motion it forward to watch it crash and burn?

flemingovia:
We obviously have different understandings of what this area is for. I think this should be used for actually proposing and drafting legislation, and there should be a progression from informal debate to formal debate to vote.

If you just want to kick ideas around and see what support there is out there for it, it seems to me the Agora is the place for that.
That would be an incorrect assumption, technically and legislatively.

It would also be an inefficient means to debate proposed legislation, mainly because the debate would start all over again in the RA and then someone would complain that it isn't being debated in the Agora or the RA Men's Lavatory (which location might actually be somewhat more productive than the RA at times, well, most of the time, at least).

Also, in free and democratic parliamentary systems, one of the sole purposes of the length of debate is precisely to see if there is enough support for a bill to move forward or for the purpose of mustering support for a bill before it goes to a vote. The same methodology can be used in the RA, presuming the RA is actually an informed, democratic and free parliamentary system where debate is encouraged.

Besides, it is better that an extended informal debate process be conducted in the open on the floor of the RA rather than in smoky back rooms in secret where support can be gathered to simply ram-rod through certain legislation. Frankly, I think PW's idea of letting such bills simmer in informal debate to determine viability of such bills is a fantastic idea. It is a fantastic idea because it actually takes skill, finesse and planning to build support (or not) for a bill before scheduling a vote, a skill level that might be seen as unfair by the skill-less.

And, the legislative rules and procedures do not allow for the killing of informal debate, unless it is the wish of opponents of proposed legislation to force the debate and mustering of support into dark, secret places. That is fine too, because opposition can be secretly wittled away and the opposition gets blind-sided in a most magnificent and impolite fashion.

Open informal debate in extended fashion allows those not interested in the bill to simply ignore the debate (which is usually true) until it goes into actual formal debate (in which instance they will still ignore the debate and vote however the popular members vote on said bill, understanding the bill or actually reading it being optional). Intelligent debate is always preferable to hastened 'bandwagoneering' that either passes bad bills or kills good bills for purely personal political motivations.

And this way, if not enough support for a viable bill can be obtained, then the bill can be withdrawn and worked on behind the scenes until enough support is there to pass it. And in that fashion, we preclude any distasteful fermentations from the TNP Whinery at the same legislation being put up for debate multiple times.

And again, those not interested in legitimate debate can simply ignore this one if they so choose. I, for one, am in favour of allowing the author of this bill enough informal debate, as much as he wishes, to determine if there is enough support for the bill or not, as the case may be.

flemingovia:

:agree:

Actually the Agora as suggested would not be the proper venue to discuss potential RA laws. The citizens lobby maybe if one has a rough idea of a suggestion and not the meat for a bill specifically.

But this is actually what the RA hall is meant for and has been my understanding to propose law repeals or admendments and to discuss them in informal debate. If the idea is viable then move it foreward to formal debate and hash out any compromise. But if there is little support in the informal discussion phase it makes no sense to try to force it thru to a vote so you can watch your proposal get struck down.

The RA floor is a proper place to conduct informal debate on a proposal. And it is the discretion of the bill sponsor to motion it forward to formal debate if they feel informal debate has been fruitful. But as long as a proposal stays in informal discussion phase it is at the whim of the bill sponsor. Once its put in Formal debate is is subject to political maneuvering of other RA members to object to a vote schedule etc.
If it stays in informal discussion it is at the behest of the bill sponsor on if it needs moved on, withdrawn, or the bill sponsor can just let the proposal die by inactivity as the speaker moves inactive or finished discussions to RA archival after 30 days.

Also, Romans post does have a lot of insights.

And I know esteemed members keep telling me this is not America -- however Romans ideas about not bandwagoning and ramming votes through is true. Lets use a real life American example. On the ACA/Obamacare congress couldnt be bothered to read the bill they were told they had to pass it to see what was in it. So no it does not always behoove us to shove things thru FD and vote on it.

PWL42:
So no it does not always behoove us to shove things thru FD and vote on it.
What's this!? Logic and rational thought? :w00t: Let me check something.. nope.. I logged into the right forum.

PWL42:
I first heard that word on an episode of M*A*S*H way back when (Frank Burns said it). It's always stuck with me. Just like: "Jam it in your Jello" and "Pound it out your porthole". Classic. :lol:

Democratic Donkeys:
Romanoffia:
Read my post above yours before you jump to any conclusions.
Who has the time for that?
Who has time for that? Let me give you a list:

1. People who have an attention span longer than a gnats.

2. People who actually think for themselves.

3. People with vocabularies that contain words longer than four letters.

4. People who value themselves and their intellect beyond the capacity of others to periodically shear them for wool.

5. People who actually have something of value to contribute.

6. People who want to be their own masters and not the tools of others who tell them what to think and how to vote.

Other than that, I have faith in human nature and am naive enough to believe that most people are capable of and actually want to think for themselves.

I'm in agreement with PWL and Roman on this - Formal Debate as a stage was invented to eliminate the issues we had with members moving unfinished legislation to vote just to provoke discussion and debate on their proposal, and then withdraw the motion to vote in order to work on the language of the bill. FD allows the bill to remain amendable while still moving directly toward a vote and thus encouraging people who haven't yet weighed in to do so.

"Informal Debate", as it has come to be called, is the entire rest of the thinking/drafting/editing process. It is not uncommon for ideas to be quietly dropped without ever being moved to a vote, when their sponsors have either changed their minds about the merits of their proposals or determined that there is insufficient support for them to pass. This has value, and allows the proposals to be picked up again in the future if desired.

If anybody really desperately wants this to be voted on, they can make a separate thread and motion their own version into formal debate.

Back