Official TNP Jackass Act

Crushing Our Enemies:
Roman, the entire forum community losing its sense of humor is only one possible explanation for why we aren't laughing. The other possibility is that you really just aren't as funny as you think you are.
ZING!

Formal debate on the bill is now concluded. A vote on the bill shall commence in two days (13.08.2014). If members are disatisfied with the scheduling of the vote, they may object or move for an immediate vote, such a motion would require the support of eight members at this time.

Just to clarify, a vote 'against' in no way makes Roman less of a jackass. As TNP's unofficial jackass, bless his heart, he is still free to horse around.

Great Bights Mum:
Just to clarify, a vote 'against' in no way makes Roman less of a jackass. As TNP's unofficial jackass, bless his heart, he is still free to horse around.
Well, at least my law isn't discrimination under the colour of law like the State Religion Act.

Now excuse me while I go and watch the State burn some more heretics and infidels.

Three members having objected to the scheduled vote, the scheduled vote is cancelled. The motion for an immediate vote is noted, it shall require the support of another seven members and the bill's sponsor in order to be successful.

Zyvetskistaahn:
Three members having objected to the scheduled vote, the scheduled vote is cancelled. The motion for an immediate vote is noted, it shall require the support of another seven members and the bill's sponsor in order to be successful.
Doesnt it require 8 members to stop the scheduled vote?

It's amazing how many people are scared that this bill will actually pass! :lol:

I must signify something like the Oligarchy beginning to crack. :fish:

COE:
Whether it passes or not, this whole bill is just a vanity act. No one cares about this as much as you do, Roman.
Then why not let it go to vote? A few (or more) vanity acts have already passed into law. :eyebrow:

Because giving Roman attention only encourages him.

EDIT: In addition, no outcome to the vote is good. If it passes, Roman will take it as a free pass to be a jackass even more than usual. If it fails, it will be interpreted as an approval of his attitude (i.e. that it's not being seen as jackassery.)

Crushing Our Enemies:
Whether it passes or not, this whole bill is just a vanity act. No one cares about this as much as you do, Roman.
What the hell do you call the offical state religion act? It ain't gefiltefisch, Mac. It was a vanity act. A vanity act, pure and simple.

And besides, why not let it go to a vote unless you are scared that it might actually pass? Or is there a real effort to stifle any non-Oligarchy approved legislation? :P

Romanoffia:
Crushing Our Enemies:
What the hell do you call the offical state religion act? It ain't gefiltefisch, Mac. It was a vanity act. A vanity act, pure and simple.
Uh, I call it a bill that created a state religion. It has actual effects on the region and is, as we speak, enhancing our cultural sector. Check out the blessing of the sugar cane festival!

Romanoffia:
And besides, why not let it go to a vote unless you are scared that it might actually pass? Or is there a real effort to stifle any non-Oligarchy approved legislation? :P
See my above post.

Romanoffia:
And besides, why not let it go to a vote unless you are scared that it might actually pass?
COE is the Augur of the RA. Why would he be scared about whether a bill might pass when he can just read the birds and declare the future? :unsure:

COE:
In addition, no outcome to the vote is good. If it passes, Roman will take it as a free pass to be a jackass even more than usual. If it fails, it will be interpreted as an approval of his attitude (i.e. that it's not being seen as jackassery.)
I don't think a 'title' will encourage/inhibit Roman's alleged jackassery. That ship has sailed. :rofl:

If it fails, then it affirms my position that there is only one true jackass in TNP. :evil:

I would make a further comment, but I have announced that I will no longer be silly or attempt silliness.

Instead, until further notice, I shall be so inoffensive and bland that it will be, well, really bland and inoffensive.

SillyString:
Romanoffia:
And besides, why not let it go to a vote unless you are scared that it might actually pass?
COE is the Augur of the RA. Why would he be scared about whether a bill might pass when he can just read the birds and declare the future? :unsure:
Ugh ugh!!! Have him check my birds and tell me my future!!!!!

Back on topic, in my short time here and I have seen worst things go to vote and no one complaining so much about it... Are we having double morals or just the famous "oligarchy" is truth?

Elegarth:
SillyString:
Romanoffia:
Ugh ugh!!! Have him check my birds and tell me my future!!!!!
You shall not pass.

Elegarth:
Back on topic, in my short time here and I have seen worst things go to vote and no one complaining so much about it... Are we having double morals or just the famous "oligarchy" is truth?
Some silly resolutions can go to vote without harming anything. This proposal, however, just feeds the ego of a member of the community who has been very antagonistic of late, and I don't think anyone's in the mood for it.

Elegarth:
Well, shouldn't the community that makes up the Regional Assembly be able to decide by themselves by voting against it, then?
Interesting hypothesis. Uncharted territory for the RA. :P

As the Speaker pointed out, it requires 8 votes (seven + the proposer) to override the objections to going to a vote. That would require the community that makes up the RA to decide on it's own if they want a vote on this. As it stands, there are 3 votes to override thus far.

I also support the motion for this to go to a vote.

(interesting side note: anyone who wants to derail any legislation can simply get three people to object to it going to a vote. I wonder what happens if the non-Oligarchy tries such tactics. :P )

Given that you only need 10% to override such an objection, that tactic only derails legislation if there is basically no support for it to begin with.

Just out of curiosity, how long will this rumble on for waiting for the requisite number of supporters?

Hypothetically, let's go forward seven years to 2021. Will this still be stuck on six supporters, waiting for a couple more? Or at some point will a Speaker pull the plug? And at what point would that come?

flemingovia:
Just out of curiosity, how long will this rumble on for waiting for the requisite number of supporters?

Hypothetically, let's go forward seven years to 2021. Will this still be stuck on six supporters, waiting for a couple more? Or at some point will a Speaker pull the plug? And at what point would that come?
I think you know it'll only stop when Roman dies :rofl:

A motion for an immediate vote is not time limited, so discussion could continue indefinitely, though I would imagine even the most ardent supporters of it would grow weary eventually. Previous motions for an immediate vote have failed due to their discussions falling inactive and being archived, it would be in that instance that this motion would fail.

flemingovia:

Well, when I can muster enough support behind the scenes to steam-roller this through the RA by overwhelming the opposition. :P

I mean, we already have meaningless laws (one in specific I can think of) on the books that cannot be enforced because they cannot be violated ("vanity laws"), so what's the harm of yet another one? We already have a vanity state religion law, so why not a vanity jackasshattery law? It's only the same thing wearing a different asshat. :fish:

Either way, the spirit of this law is not to be silly, it's to point out the silliness of a certain vanity law passed in your name and, as I have stated elsewhere, such silliness needs to not only stop, but be entirely eliminated from our legal codes for the sake of the dignity of the region.

Eventually, silly laws will be purged from the legal code, so, this is just a means of fomenting such sentiment to that end.

Let the debate continue.

Esteemed Member of The Regional Assembly, Ladies and Gentlemen of the gallery, it is by honour and privilege to stand before this august assembly and call attention to the asshattery of existing vanity laws that are even more useless than the legislation I am proposing in this bill.

I think this bill is a wonderful bill and will be a wondeful continuation of the asshatter traditions started by the Vanity Official State Religion Act. We have one act of asshattery and vanity enshrined in the TNP Legal Code, and therefore we must continue to pass such meaningless and unenforceable laws until we have thousands of pages of such laws - or we clean up the legal code of such idiocy as has already been passed.

Therefore, I think that this bill and many other similar bills should be passed until the clutter and asshattery of vanity laws becomes so evident that even asshats will beg for their repeal!

Zyvetskitaahn:
A motion for an immediate vote is not time limited, so discussion could continue indefinitely
This could've been voted on and dealt with by now. Even if you're against it, I would ask that 3 more people motion for a vote on this. Let's make it representative of the entire RA.

Back