Not the Speaker
-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Olvern
Discord
lordnwahs
This thread shall be for asking the chairman, Ambassador Kristen Marinos of the Republic of Olvern, well, anything about her four-month chairmanship that is soon to start.

Do refer to her registration for the Chairmanship here.

I think I shall also use this thread for mini-announcements.

I'm planning to work on a new constitution to codify things around here after the Deputy Chairman elections. I would seek to settle membership procedure and listing, debate procedure and voting procedure, something that wasn't elaborated upon in the opening thread. Are there any violent objections to this?

When do you plan on beginning the membership procedure, debate procedure, etc and all the rest you've stated? I think the sooner we start the better before this also starts to stagnate...

Thank you, ambassador from Egalotir, for the question.

I believe that the procedure for membership should remain the same. The Chairman should reserve the right to reject any application, however, such a rejection must be put to vote to the whole body for a period of 5 days immediately, in order for it to be upheld. Furthermore, the Deputy Chairman should be charged with keeping and maintaining a publicly accessible Google Sheet listing membership. Each week, the Deputy Chairman should check the Civil Rights Ratings and Political Freedoms Ratings provided by the World Assembly to check if members have attained the membership minimum of 40 for both. If for 8 weeks straight, the members have not been able to attain such a level, membership is automatically revoked.

In my opinion, debate procedure should be made simple. The Chairman will open a thread on an issue that the Chairman finds important, and this thread will allow for informal debate on the issue, with the end goal of bringing about a proposal for a treaty to be ratified by all DU members.

Members of the DU can submit proposals to the Chairman for vote. To be ratified as a treaty of the Democratic Union upheld by ALL members, at least 90% of the body must voice their agreement with the proposal on the thread that the Chairman posts on the proposal. Debate can be held for amendments to be made to said proposal: in order for such an amendment to succeed, two members other than the proposer of the amendment should endorse said amendment. The end result of this is that the DU seeks to encourage the politics of consensus.

All these, along with a preamble stating the vision of the Democratic Union, will be part of the Constitution that will, in all likelihood, be the very first proposal put to vote :P -Kristen Marinos

I have just noted the Ambassador from Aurora Orb's withdrawal from the race for Deputy Chairman, I welcome the Ambassador from Malvad to the position of Deputy Chairman (and thus my successor!) - Kristen Marinos

(OOC: lol culture team is best team)

Thank you so much for the reply. We are in agreement with everything you have laid out and look forward to drafting a constitution.

When will the first session occur? I know you have other things to do but it's been a little while since the DU has been formed, and I don't really want to see it go away just as quickly due to inactivity.

(OOC: well I'm going to be away on a camp... like, now, and I won't be back until Sunday evening Singapore Time. I'll try to get a draft constitution written up by Monday?)

page-divider.gif
To Chairperson Kristen Marinos,

The Democratic Union is meant to both address and solve issues both diplomatically and militarily. Recently, the delegates from Egalotir and Dalies have been discussing the possibility of a thread based on those issues at hand. The thread will contain information from all nations wishing for the DU's involvement in the affairs of their country. This forum will not be used as a center for debate, but as a center for thought. The Bi-Weekly meetings of the DU should address and possibly solve the issues brought to attention in the issues forum.

I strongly believe this will contribute to the DU's effectiveness as a whole and alleviate some confusion at the beginning of the Union.
-Alek Silverson, Delegate of Dalies
page-divider.gif

OOC: Go ahead and start the official thread now. I'm still kind of busy right now. -Olvey

Back