SillyString for Injustice

SillyString

TNPer
-
-
I figured, what better way to stand out from the crowd than to be in favor of the things everyone is against? :yes:

I'm running for a second term as justice, which to be honest kind of surprised me. I was planning to step down nice and quiet, without a coup or anything, at the end of this term. But there's still some ongoing matters facing the court that I'd like to see to conclusion.

So why should you vote for me? Let's see. As Justice, I authored a bunch of court decisions, and as Chief Justice I plagiarized heavily from COE wrote the shiny new Adopted Court Rules that are now in effect. I'm active and I get stuff done, and I'd like to keep doing that.

It really doesn't matter if you vote for me or not though, since as undisputed Queen of the IRCabal we will naturally be rigging the election in my favor no matter what the actual vote is. But you can earn some brownie points with the IRCabal for voting for me anyway! They don't mean much, but we'll post pictures of brownies for anybody who has them. Good deal, right?

ClassicBrownies.jpg

The only temptation for me to run is because you are on the bench. I believe we think differently but I respect how you think and always learn the most from those who think differently than I do.

I think you have served well in this role and I wish you a lot of luck. :)

Democratic Donkeys:
Are those gluten free?
Nope, but these ones are!
553311b.jpg

punk d:
The only temptation for me to run is because you are on the bench. I believe we think differently but I respect how you think and always learn the most from those who think differently than I do.

I think you have served well in this role and I wish you a lot of luck. :)

Thank you! I appreciate that. :) If you ran I might vote for you, but that would probably be an even bigger drain on your time than being an RA member. :P

P.S. Dear everyone, I am actually hoping to answer some serious questions. :P

You already run the region through the IRC cabal and the secret ninja admins. Why do you need to be a justice. Mark my words, dozens of people in lots of regiona have come forward to testify. Don't try to deny it - i have screenshots and logs.

Democratic Donkeys:
In your experience does the court serve a useful function? Do you see it as something more than a tool used by people to be petty?

Yes, the court serves a very useful function. In the right hands, it very much ought to make people hesitate before running to it over every boo-boo - for fear that the Court might order the amputation of the injured limb.

That is of course what hated court decisions are all about achieving. Don't go to the court unless you're really sure that you have to.

As for pettiness, well, what in TNP isn't a tool for people to use for that purpose?

flemingovia:
You already run the region through the IRC cabal and the secret ninja admins. Why do you need to be a justice. Mark my words, dozens of people in lots of regiona have come forward to testify. Don't try to deny it - i have screenshots and logs.
I need to be a justice because the Court is an institution that has long been held by the Oligarchy, and has remained outside the grasp of the IRCabal. Its ranks have been exceedingly difficult to penetrate, and though we are now beginning to make headway progress is, as always, excruciatingly slow. But as the Court is the true base of power in the region with the authority to just make things up, we consider it a highly strategic asset to acquire.

Do you feel an AG should prosecute all complaints recieved or have discretion to see what has merit and what is petty to use a recent word on this campaign thread - to only bring charges to the court where a crime likely has actually been committed and not wasting the courts time.

Also, should the court really have jurisdiction to try TNP citizens who are accused of committing a crime in another region be it an allied or treaty region or not? Or should we turn over all evidence and extradite that citizen to that region and let their courts handle it?

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Do you feel an AG should prosecute all complaints recieved or have discretion to see what has merit and what is petty to use a recent word on this campaign thread - to only bring charges to the court where a crime likely has actually been committed and not wasting the courts time.
Well, as one of the main contributors to the AG reform bill several months ago, naturally I agree with the changes it made. There's a fine line to be walked between giving the AG absolutely no discretion, therefore burdening them with trivial and unprovable complaints, and giving them the freedom to choose what to prosecute, thereby opening up the door to unwarranted dismissals of actual crimes.

I think we walked that line quite well, by giving the AG the power to reject complaints but also allowing private citizens to bring those rejected complaints to the Court themselves. It keeps the AG's office focused on important things, and entirely reduces the incentive for prank complaints, while also letting citizens who feel strongly about something ensure it sees its day in court and also preventing the AG's office from political maneuvering to protect an ally from being charged with a crime.
Also, should the court really have jurisdiction to try TNP citizens who are accused of committing a crime in another region be it an allied or treaty region or not? Or should we turn over all evidence and extradite that citizen to that region and let their courts handle it?
TNP has the jurisdiction it declares that it has, via a vote of the RA. If the commission of certain crimes in other regions violates TNP's own laws, then of course TNP has the authority to try the alleged perpetrator(s). Treason is a good (and I think, on a cursory glance, the only) example of this - it is a crime to commit treason against TNP or against any of its treatied allies.

Simple violation of another region's laws doesn't inherently place someone into TNP's jurisdiction, though, not even if they're a citizen or an RA member. There are instances where it could - like if someone is an ambassador to that region and had to take an oath to follow all laws of the host region, for example, or a military liaison doing the same. Alternatively, if the RA declared that committing crimes in allied regions was a crime under TNP law, then in that case too a trial could be held.

If TNP has evidence of a crime committed in another region, then potentially that evidence should be handed over. It would depend on the nature of our relationship to that region.

Thank you for the responses. And I do agree with your views on AG discretion. The AG should be able to dismiss a complaint he or she feels lacks merit. Be it a prank complaint or whatever per the example you gave. I also feel that the citizen who made the complaint feels strongly about it they have the right to file with the court themselves. So I agree there to.

SillyString, I'm going to go a little fangirl right now and say I'm a huge fan of your work in TNL. :D

What do you see as the pre-existing priority of the court for the duration of this term?
Which TV judge do you most closely resemble in your work as a Justice?
What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
What work are you most proud of as a justice in TNP?
What is one thing you would like to have done better?

I will post more if I think of them.

What do you see as the pre-existing priority of the court for the duration of this term?
For the upcoming term, the court's largest priority is answering the open request for review (and handling any new ones that arise). Should I be elected, I also would like the Court to reexamine its personal stance on transparency and look at declassifying old discussion threads for public viewing and research. I think they hold a great deal of public interest, and at sufficient time distance from their occurrence likely do not present any harm for the individuals involved.
Which TV judge do you most closely resemble in your work as a Justice?
I don't know any, sorry. :P
What is your name?
Lord Protector SillyString, Champion of the Pedants, Grammarian Extraordinaire.
What is your quest?
Kill ten dire boars and bring back their teeth.
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Is this the average unladen (African or European) swallow, or a specific specimen?
What work are you most proud of as a justice in TNP?
Writing all those damn responses to requests for review. :P Of them, I'd say I'm happy with the original FOIA ruling, and the Fraud ruling. The others trouble me, but less than they would trouble me for ruling any other way.
What is one thing you would like to have done better?
I'd have liked to have gotten things done faster. The rule amendments didn't come until nearly the end of the term, and at least one of the rulings was delayed a few weeks until I could write it - and that in turn delayed the very contentious ruling on Douria's status. So I wish we could have gotten through it all faster, but I know that that might be a pipe dream.

Also, I wish I had pushed for a more in-depth ruling on the H&H case rather than approving the one or two sentence one that was issued.

During the special election for Justice, Romanoffia said this:

Given the fact that Ator was largely and totally absent for the past week or so (or more) from the Court and Silly Sting absolutely ignored anything going on in the private chambers of the Court (as I can testify as to being the former CJ)...

Now, I know that I've heard multiple people deny that statement as true, but what do you specifically have to say about it?

Treize_Dreizehn:
During the special election for Justice, Romanoffia said this:

Given the fact that Ator was largely and totally absent for the past week or so (or more) from the Court and Silly Sting absolutely ignored anything going on in the private chambers of the Court (as I can testify as to being the former CJ)...

Now, I know that I've heard multiple people deny that statement as true, but what do you specifically have to say about it?
I would say that if he were making that testimony under oath, he would be perjuring himself.

I would also note that I authored nearly all of the Court's rulings.

As an alleged member of the Elugarchy, I am troubled by your open allegiance to the IRCabal. Can you assuage my concerns?

The private answer you conveyed over IRC query was very helpful and informative. My personal concerns have been addressed. :shifty:

Asta is the no-brainer choice for Court. She has my support.

... despite breaking her promise to me from May : ph43r :

Back