-
-
Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
This is rather confusing and annoying. I imagine it's even worse for people who weren't the original author of the current legal code, as codified into chapters.

Please, please guys. Please stop calling your bills "A Bill to Amend Chapter 7 of the Legal Code," "A Bill to amend Chapter 8 of the Legal Code," or, my favorite, "Make an amendment to the Legal code ch6 section 2."

First of all, even referring to the chapters and sections by name would be much better! Section 6.2 is the Freedom of Information Act. A Bill to amend that... one can easily see what its subject matter is from the title.

Better still, though, would be to include something about the purpose of your bill. "A Bill to adopt Flemingovianism as the State Religion," "A Bill to Allow Renaming of the Armed Forces," or "Subject the Security Council to the Freedom of Information Act."

Seriously, let's not make our Regional Assembly even more arcane, when we can trivially do better.

:headbang:

</rant>

I actually second this, the more descriptive the title, the better. I'm also more inclined to click on it and take the OP seriously.

As a note, I called my bill the North Pacific Armed Forces Act.

If the aim of a title is to get people to read the thread, perhaps you should consider a completely different naming system, based on facebook notifications I get.

How about

"OMG!!! YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THIS GUY BIT INTO HIS HAMBURGER!!!"

"10 THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT ORGASMS"

"WHAT TYPE OF WOODLAND CREATURE ARE YOU? TAKE THIS SIMPLE TEST"

Titles serve multiple purposes. The primary purpose is to distinguish between the things (in this case, bills) which have them. The title should identify what the proposal is and continue to do so for years to come. It should be easily apparent when seeing the title in the index or active topic list, which of the current or recent proposals it is, or if it's a new one (and if so, what, in general, it is about).

The North Pacific forum sees a great deal of discussion, and we all have varying degrees of attention we can devote to it. I think it advisable to let people more easily prioritize which topics they find more interesting or important, or expect they'll have more to say on or will need to think about for longer.

Titles should not be a cipher, concealing these details to induce people to treat every proposal the same way (whether by reading it or by ignoring it).

PaulWallis, it's helpful that your proposal has "FOI Requests" in its subtitle. But it'd be more helpful to mention the FoIA in the title itself, and better still to spell it out for the sake of people who may not recognize the acronym FOI or FoIA.

I agree with this. Instead of "amendment to chapt X subsection Y", I'd like to see something more along the lines of Freedom of Information (Security Council) (Amendment) Bill 2014. Though that's just my bias of being familiar with my RL country's statute books.

I agree with Sanc.

...............................and somewhere pigs are flying.........................

It hasn't helped that certain bill sponsor have chosen flippiant titles for their bills which then get enacted.

Perhaps that's the place to start.

I think a request was made to add in the specific chapter to the title to make it easier for folks. but, then i believe people got lazy and stopped titling their submissions.

Yes, I blame most things on laziness.

Elu has the right idea. Remember, in addition to the actual title of a thread (or bill, in this instance) there is also field for a description of the thread which is actually quite a handy thing to have.

Back