Not the Speaker
-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Olvern
Discord
lordnwahs
This is a common question that comes up in online HoC discussions. The original House of Cards series (both the book and the BBC TV series, although there were slight differences) was set in 1990's UK, with the parliamentary system and all. The current American series is, well, American.

Any personal preferences? I haven't watched much of the original, but I can say that Francis Urquhart seems kind of... friendly. Or creepy. Or something.

I've watched part of the British version. It was interesting, but not among the best I've seen in terms of British political dramas. I liked the American version a lot better, much more captivating and atmospheric.

I've never seen the British version, and I didn't even know it was a book.

I've watched parts of the british version. I hate the name Urqhuart for personal reasons, so I didn't much like the main character! :P Petty I know.

The US version of House of Cards is a lot better. Couldn't get a better cast.

Didnt the American version have a little bit of that with the Zoe Barns affair? At the very least implied. If I remember there were some quotes that implied somethings along those lines.

As for the topic at hand. I didnt know it was based on a book however I knew there was a British version however never watched it.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Didnt the American version have a little bit of that with the Zoe Barns affair? At the very least implied. If I remember there were some quotes that implied somethings along those lines.
There was a single scene, and it was a lot more explicit in nature: dirty talk during sex. In the British version, it was a much stronger behaviour pattern, almost a psychological complex.

As for the topic at hand. I didnt know it was based on a book however I knew there was a British version however never watched it.
I didn't know about the book either. First time I saw it was in Wikipedia, when I was looking up the name of the female character in the British version while posting in this thread :P .

Of course it's a book!

Well, a play. If you watch the British version it's obviously Macbeth. The American version takes a bit longer for that to become clear.

I prefer the American version myself. I'm more familiar with the US political system, so the maneuvering makes more sense, but in addition to that I really don't understand the whole bit about abdication.

One thing I really like about the American version is how much they fleshed out Claire's character. In the British one, Mrs. Urquhart is very one-dimensional and only exists as a foil for her husband.

I'd love to watch the British version. Haven't seen it.

I love the American version. I love political levering that goes on. Even if it's not wholly accurate, it shows the pugilism that goes on in politics. That much is true and the US version has a great cast. I really want to see Underwood and Denton go at it toe to toe.

I am curious to see what they'll do for the new season. Up to now, there was a clear target, the presidency. Now that Underwood has reached that, and there is nowhere higher to go (Pope perhaps? :P ), it is unclear what the progression will be.

One of the problems with power is that once someone gets it, it isn't always easy to hold onto. If it truly follows the likes of Macbeth, he won't be able to hold onto it for long.

I would love to see the British version - I have heard it is fantastic.

I'm going to check it out...

what we haven't seen enough of yet, other than Remy is a young up and coming challenger to Underwood. I can't wait for that. He's going from the hunter to the hunted and that should be interesting to watch.

I've watched both and as a Brit I prefer the American version. You have to be aware though that the budget differences are vast. And it's pretty clear the BBC version was made with less people and more basic technology than the netflix one, and for that I think its commendable. I do think that the character development is a lot more gripping and Kevin Spacey is sublime as usual.

Now I have to read the book.

Back