New foal born at barn last night!

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
Get ready to be blasted by cuteness of epic proportions. :P :D

A new arrival at the barn this morning, at 3:00 am. Just six hours old in this photo. :winner:

28bv7k8.jpg

One had better hope that there isn't any pink slime involved (or rather red slime, to be exact).

The placenta should be nearly white and shiny. If it's reddish-pink and looks like velvet, you have a problem. It's called a 'red bag delivery' and it means that the umbilical has separated and the foal is suffocating and you have to 'pull' the foal and break the amniotic sack. A real messy panic situation when that occurs.

Oh, and foals dry out and get all fluffy in about half an hour after they are born. The Amniotic fluid does smell like shit and possum vomit, by the way. :P

Well, that's why I dunno what it's s'posed to look like.

You should install those barn cams that are all the rage on the internet so yuppies can watch the livestock be born by the comfort of their livingroom.

But huzzah! For farming and livestock and self sustainability. We just got finished getting about 80-100 pepper and tomato plants put in. Plus we plan to plant more plus various squash and gords, beans, corn. Hopefully what we or the chooks dont eat we're gonna try to sell at the local farmers market over the summer.

People from my IRL job post on my facebook and make fun of me for having our bourbon red turkeys and chickens and such...like im supposed to be embarrased im growing and raising my own stuff and dont have to be dependent on god knows what imported from 3rd world big agra commercialized mass produced companies.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
You should install those barn cams that are all the rage on the internet so yuppies can watch the livestock be born by the comfort of their livingroom.

But huzzah! For farming and livestock and self sustainability. We just got finished getting about 80-100 pepper and tomato plants put in. Plus we plan to plant more plus various squash and gords, beans, corn. Hopefully what we or the chooks dont eat we're gonna try to sell at the local farmers market over the summer.

People from my IRL job post on my facebook and make fun of me for having our bourbon red turkeys and chickens and such...like im supposed to be embarrased im growing and raising my own stuff and dont have to be dependent on god knows what imported from 3rd world big agra commercialized mass produced companies.

We compost the manure for fertilizer. Makes a nice low-nitrogen fertilizer with lots of healthy micro-organisms in it to condition the soil. Till in into the nasty red plagioclase feldspar clay that we call 'soil' around here and it turns it nice and black and stuff will grow gang-busters in it.

Another idea I am developing is a heating system that takes advantage of the heat generated by composting manure - the shit (pun intended) will actually catch fire and smolder if you aren't careful. I got the idea when someone chucked a few used up iron horse shoes into their manure pile which in turn started to spontaneously combust. And said shit-pile has now been smoldering away for the last 20 odd years (no kidding) as they keep adding more manure to the pile.

As for the horses, we have a Mustang, Quarter Horses, Lusitanos, two Lippizzaners and a number of Irish Thoroughbreds.

I'm looking into importing a few Waler horses from Australia in the near future.

I can only imagine - it must be sensory overload. First, just hanging around in a relatively quiet limbo and suddenly...BLAAAAAAAAH! WTF?! :lol:

Not unlike crossing the border into a state like New Jersey.

Back