What is Good for the Goose is good fot the Gander

The Double Standards in this country astound amaze and demoralize and depress me.

In a country that claims to be the most open minded, where we have the right to have the freedom to believe or not believe as we wish and to not have things pushed on us.

People truely aren't really free to practice as they wish. At least not publicly.

Raising Concerns over Discriminatory Town Code

If this was a church group offering their brand of spiritual council no one would have said boo about it I guarentee it. Sure maybe someone who isnt religious may have grumbled and wish to not be subject to them, but they could walk past and not participate, but I doubt they would all out threaten to not come back.

But because this woman had the guts to share her self with the world and offer her own spiritual council and to perform her own community service and interfaith and be inviting to whomever sought out her services. And because the shop owner had the guts to invite her they are being punished.

Oh the hypocracy, we have local church groups here who take over the local park in the city for their various events, I do not fault them for it. They are only demonstrating their beliefs (as this woman was trying to do.) People generally are free to participate or choose not to. Except when they get their bullhorns and loud speakers and microphones and such and subject people to it three blocks away who dont want to be subject to it. But because they do it in the name of a church and a particular popular religion it is okay. But if another group tried to do the same thing it would not be as accepted.

I am just tired of the hypocracy. What is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

I agree with ya, but the store's owner told her to vacate so...

Well that was after people complained. From the story the shop owner had the woman involved before. And I think would have her again if not for the snarky and snide comments from others. So it seems like purely a business decision as a reaction to the snide comments not a personal decision.

Also the article points out how the city ordinances have laws on the books against such activities as tarot. (Though when asked in the article the city lawyer admits it is outdated and needs repealed) but there are similar laws on the books across the other cities. My local town has similar laws on its books and have tried to come down on the local metaphysical shop who provides spiritual council and tarot readings in an earnest effort to help people. Meanwhile the miss cleo type physic shop who i feel is a blantant scam as people say they want to charge 1,000s to "remove curses" and the gullible fall for it. Are conviently located just outside city limits and therefore untouched.

Those people make me mad. And are reason for these so called "no tarot/magic reading - theft by deception laws" so those who earnestly believe in it and try to help people are punished because of those who misrepresent themselves they make me mad the same as the snake oil televangelists who use christianity to try to make a buck. It is disrespectful for those who practice their faith honestly and want to help people.

What is good for the goose should be good for the gander, but one man's meat is another's poison. Do you ever feel like aphorisms sometimes contradict?

I've never heard on man's meat is another man's poison before...

I look at it this way: the store owner has every right to say who can be in their store at any time, be they customers or employees. A store is, after all, private property and the owner of said property has every right to dispose of their property in any manner they see fit.

Everything in the world, in objective terms comes down to three things:

1.) The right of Self Defense

2.) Property rights

3.) The rights of the individual

Since one's 'self' is one's property and one's 'self' is the individual, one has a right to dispose of any of the three as they see fit.

On the other hand, such laws as:

110-17 FORTUNETELLING OR PRACTICING MAGIC ART

A. It shall be unlawful for any company of gypsies or other strolling company or person to receive compensation or reward for pretending to tell fortunes or to practice any so-called “magic art.”

B. Every person violating this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and fined not less than five hundred dollars ($500.) or confined in jail not less than one (1) nor more than six (6) months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

are utterly idiotic.

The tarot card reader in the privately owned store is neither a Grypsy nor a strolling company. :P :D

Here in North Carolina, 'prognostication' of the future is illegal which means that in order to be prosecuted for foretelling the future, one must actually accurately foretell the future. And if one accurately foretells the future, then one is not guilty of prognostication by definition of 'prognostication'.

Then again, in a town near me (Tryon) there is law that clearly states:

It’s against the law for anyone to keep “fowl that shall cackle,” or for anyone to play the piccolo between the hours of 11 pm and 7:30 am

But then again, this is North Carolina where there are no forensic investigations of murder scenes because there are no dental records and all the DNA is the same. :P

Fouls that cackle?

<-- suburban/rural farmer. Its like a weird inbetween. But anyone no ones telling me I cant raise my own poultry and have my own garden and such. Indivdual Food freedom FTW!

Agreed. There was a case 'bout a farmer growin' tomatoes for personal use that went to the Supreme Court. Can't remember if it's still good law...I basically forgot the important half of my con law course.

God-Emperor:
Damn! Shots fired.
Also not really shots fired :p

I agree with what he says.

Yes a private shop owner can decide who they want or not want. And change their mind at will. The woman invited the card reader before. This time people complained and the shop owner made the decision to cancel the card readers standing invite. Fair enough.

My issue was with the citizens complaining. Its not your shop. Shut up. Dont go there if you dont like it. (Which is what they were threatening) - my point was we dont really have 'religious freedom' no matter what the 1st says. If the shop owner invited a christian church to set up a table I bet no one would have said anything...or very least grumbled but not been too serious about it...but because it was a "heathen" Pagan Card reader..ohhh no! Lets raise Hell! (Probably literally with the shop owner)

Btw, can I say hell on the forum? I know there is a language rule?...but its a real place right? Just using a discriptor?..if not they were raising Hell, Michigan with the shop owner. (Real place - google it.)

Yesh. But anyway according to the admins who made the rules tab we are subject to the parent hosts TOS which is zetaboards. Zeta has something about obsenity and excessive cursing. Notice excessive so it should mean we can curse just not in excess? Hot damrn!

Ass!

250px-Donkey_1_arp_750px.jpg

I appreciate what youve done lately. Its nice to be friendly did that mean I passed my n00b hazing?

Ps. Totes serious about those asian massages just say the word..the minister needs a relaxing weekend from time to time. (Plz dont fire me ;) )

PaulWallLibertarian42:
I appreciate what youve done lately. Its nice to be friendly did that mean I passed my n00b hazing?

Ps. Totes serious about those asian massages just say the word..the minister needs a relaxing weekend from time to time. (Plz dont fire me ;) )
You are past the n00b hazing and are now on to the less-than-gentle ribbing. :tb2:

God-Emperor:
By Asian, do ya mean massages with a happy endin'?
These are legitiment business ladies (or men whatever the preference is) god emperor imperium dude !!! If by happy ending you mean getting a coupon for 50% off next visit with your reciept then yes.

I'd consider it a consolation prize, but I wouldn't be upset. I guess I'd be content.

Back