The coups of TNP

mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
The North Pacific has been couped many times. The number of coups may be rivaled by Osiris these days, but most people are aware of TNP's history in that regard.

Which was your "favourite".. which was the worst coup? Who do you think had the best intentions? Who had the worst intentions?

I wasn't there for any of them. I was there for Haafy's attempted coup, however. That would have been fun if you didn't break it up like the party-pooper you are, Micky. :P

Who was there when McMasterdonia couped TNP and rewrote TNP's history completely to make himself look like a popular, democratically-elected delegate?

(EDIT: This is a joke if you haven't figured)

My favourite coup was Great Bight. I have never seen TNP so united in purpose. there was little mod involvement, so we could do as we wished on the RMB and so on. And of course, it ended with Puppetmaster, which is still the greatest single event in TNP history.

Pixiedance got personal and vicious. It soon stopped being fun. This was mainly because Insane Power was a wanker.

Westwind was just ... pathetic really. It was almost embarrassing to watch.

The others were not really worth a damn.

I was a puppet in Operation Puppetmaster, so naturally that's the one I remember best. I did a bit of diplomacy around the Pixiedance situation. Apart from that, I've generally watched from the peanut gallery.

I loathe coups.

Some would say that my becoming delegate counts as one. It happened when Magicality's endo-tally began to decline. Few of us knew that she'd become afk.

As a result of my having worked on the map, banners, and flag - my own tally had reached the 300s but it wasn't close enough to take over as del. Blackshear was closer. I alerted some of the officers of the region at the time and together we pushed him into delegacy (while he slept, I should note).

A relatively short time later some irl drama cost him the delegacy. By this time my endorsements were near enough that a similar late-night push could put me at the top for the update.

I never really intended to serve as delegate and for the first week or so, I considered myself a placeholder for Blackshear's return or even that of Magicality. While in the office, however, I did want to address the position with responsibility. I had a list of six things I thought the region needed accomplished; I can now only remember on of them - to help draft and ratify a constitution. To my surprise, there had really never been one.

It soon became apparent that there was a seventh - and probably far more important task. TNP at the time was not truly under its own control. Securing independence from what appeared to be a secret injustice was added to my mission. (Meanwhile I was establishing Lemuria for my retirement once the Seven Items were accomplished.

And when they were, I retired. The UPS/GB incursion brought me back for a time and I'm still proud that at the end of that I was the most endorsed player in the game.

My favourite coup was Great Bight.

Agreed, yes.

Pixiedance got personal and vicious. It soon stopped being fun.

Again, agreed.

Westwind was just ... pathetic really. It was almost embarrassing to watch.

Hard to tell what your point of view is for that, but that's fine. Considering in RL, I had my internet and power turned off, had no income, had health problems, and had to find a computer with an internet connection for a few minutes during update....it was amazing it lasted over 90 days. But I never planned on it lasting over 90 days either, which was my elected term as Delegate. *shrugs*

although I'm sure King Crimson had the best theme music of any of the coups

:lol: Thank you *tips hat*

never knew about the surrounding issues. I was surprised that the Crimson Order seemed to peter out and lose activity so quickly. Now I know why.

It was a rough time, and I had hoped others would step up to do their part, but as often the case in NS, others don't. Was also why I essentially 'retired' for quite awhile afterwards. There's alot more to the Crimson story that's never been told much. The way it played out was only one of several plans. Another was to establish a restored ADN with TNP, Equilism, and Nasicournia as the three foundation regions.

I remember the shirts GBM made for her coup. Something along the lines of 'I was banned from TNP and all I got was this lousy shirt' or something.

Almonaster:
I was a puppet in Operation Puppetmaster, so naturally that's the one I remember best. I did a bit of diplomacy around the Pixiedance situation. Apart from that, I've generally watched from the peanut gallery.

That was a lot of fun when you get right down to it (Operation Puppetmaster).

Thel D'Ran:
I loathe coups.

Some would say that my becoming delegate counts as one. It happened when Magicality's endo-tally began to decline. Few of us knew that she'd become afk.

As a result of my having worked on the map, banners, and flag - my own tally had reached the 300s but it wasn't close enough to take over as del. Blackshear was closer. I alerted some of the officers of the region at the time and together we pushed him into delegacy (while he slept, I should note).

A relatively short time later some irl drama cost him the delegacy. By this time my endorsements were near enough that a similar late-night push could put me at the top for the update.

I never really intended to serve as delegate and for the first week or so, I considered myself a placeholder for Blackshear's return or even that of Magicality. While in the office, however, I did want to address the position with responsibility. I had a list of six things I thought the region needed accomplished; I can now only remember on of them - to help draft and ratify a constitution. To my surprise, there had really never been one.

It soon became apparent that there was a seventh - and probably far more important task. TNP at the time was not truly under its own control. Securing independence from what appeared to be a secret injustice was added to my mission. (Meanwhile I was establishing Lemuria for my retirement once the Seven Items were accomplished.

And when they were, I retired. The UPS/GB incursion brought me back for a time and I'm still proud that at the end of that I was the most endorsed player in the game.

Ah, the good old days.

Democratic Donkeys:
Great Bight. What a gloriously unpredictable Delegate he was...

Great Bight was a nasty old sod, a nasty old sod was he. :P

Pixiedance/IP/Cathyy really took things personally. I remember IP simply exploding when I made a typo on the RMB and referred to him as "Inane Power".

Incidentally, Pixiedance (aka. Cathyy) is still around. :shock:

The Gatesville incursion was fun too.

I can't remember if Burnt Triangle is it but Eluvatar put up a Crimson theme on this board a while back to show what the Crimson Order's forum was like.

Some of his staff ironically being prominent TNP coupers themselves ;) .

Mcmasterdonia's coup in 10 days will be magnificent.

r3naissanc3r:

What! Where?

I am a bit biased towards the NPD. But those that comment that it [Pixiedance] faltered after I stepped down and became too personal are correct.

r3naissanc3r:

Oh, I'm glad that I am not the only one excited for it.

Gracius Maximus:
r3naissanc3r:

What! Where?

I am a bit biased towards the NPD. But those that comment that it [Pixiedance] faltered after I stepped down and became too personal are correct.

Were you around for the later TNP coups - like Durk or the Crimson Order? Curious to know what you thought of those ;)

Thel D'Ran:
I loathe coups.

It's amazing how flawed memory can be. That's pretty detailed but almost entirely wrong. The actual timeline: In April 2004, I was delegate, got self-ejected to RR (don't ask), Magicality took over in a late-night endo rally, soon after she got stung by a bee(bees) and disappeared, I tried to scramble back to the delegacy but couldn't catch UPS Rail who took over in the vacuum, sometime in Sept. after democracy was restored, Thel became delegate.

Blackshear:
It's amazing how flawed memory can be. That's pretty detailed but almost entirely wrong.
I'm not sure snark was called for. It was ten years ago and this isn't really a newspaper. It's a celebration of the Flag – and the region for which it stands.

mcmasterdonia:
r3naissanc3r:

Oh, I'm glad that I am not the only one excited for it.

Gracius Maximus:
r3naissanc3r:

What! Where?

Were you around for the later TNP coups - like Durk or the Crimson Order? Curious to know what you thought of those ;)
I was around but not active. I know that JAL fashioned himself after me but did it with less style (in my opinion) and less detachment. Gaining a feeder Delegacy just for the sake of ejecting/banning is pointless. If you want to be a tyrant then there must be a certain level of methodological madness involved. I never got this from any of JAL's coups. He was more of a 'look at me, I'm Delegate, I will now kick you out' sort of dictator. I went out of my way to make sure the opposition maintained a certain level of hope so that I could rip it away from them at the last moment. And when the opposition got boring, I went out of my way to make sure things stayed interesting, sometimes by sabotaging myself since it was apparent no one else could. I pretended to care so that I could draw the fence sitters into my camp and even posted platitudes about peace and resolution all while knowing I would never succumb to such drivel or allow such mindless machinations to take place. I believed in using the carrot and the stick. I could still be Delegate of TNP (yes, I am claiming I could have held the region for a decade) if I had wished it. That is the main difference between myself and the later copycats, I decided how and when I would rule and ultimately got away with it unscathed.

As for Westwind, I was aware of his RL troubles and inactivity so understood the position he was placed into. His had the best groundwork, but unfortunately couldn't muster the followthrough. One only needs to see how effective his rule is in the West to see that he could have succeeded.

Yes, the Crimson Order could (and should) have succeeded. But, RL often complicates things so it happens.

GM - I think you're being a bit hard on JAL. In terms of competence at the controls JAL is very competent. What drives him is certainly different than what drove you during the NPD days, but doesn't mean he wasn't as effective. JAL is a feeder coup mercenary. He likes that role quite a bit. Because he was not as detached nor manipulative doesn't make his banjections less effective. It just means the realpolitik of his game is not as evolved or nuanced.

The NS world needs another Francos Spain paradigm shifting coup, imo.

Thanks for sharing GM. JAL is now a couper for hire and I wouldn't be surprised if he is once again handed a nation when someone is too incompetent or spineless to go through with it themselves or step down and accept that they lost the election ;)

punk d:
Yes, the Crimson Order could (and should) have succeeded. But, RL often complicates things so it happens.

GM - I think you're being a bit hard on JAL. In terms of competence at the controls JAL is very competent. What drives him is certainly different than what drove you during the NPD days, but doesn't mean he wasn't as effective. JAL is a feeder coup mercenary. He likes that role quite a bit. Because he was not as detached nor manipulative doesn't make his banjections less effective. It just means the realpolitik of his game is not as evolved or nuanced.

The NS world needs another Francos Spain paradigm shifting coup, imo.

mcmasterdonia:
Thanks for sharing GM. JAL is now a couper for hire and I wouldn't be surprised if he is once again handed a nation when someone is too incompetent or spineless to go through with it themselves or step down and accept that they lost the election ;)

I did not intend to imply that his method was ineffective, just that it doesn't progress gameplay beyond the immediate. If nations wish to pass him their password so that he can get his hands dirty where they will not, good for him. I applaud the audacity and willingness to mettle. That said, I believe he could utilize his skills much more effectively by doing more than just the typical slash and burn. If you want to be the villain, then you should leave lasting scars.

I still look fondly on Hersfold's comment in my signature. I consider JAL's actions to be a bit more Scott Tenorman than Cartman, bullying for the lulz. I like to taste the tears when I am finished.

Is it wrong to say that I find GM's posts in this thread vaguely homoerotic? I want to rub baby oil into his biceps.

flemingovia:
Is it wrong to say that I find GM's posts in this thread vaguely homoerotic? I want to rub baby oil into his biceps.
Step 8

A new generation arises in TNP who are bewildered by all this and who cannot believe that the region was ever in conflict. Flemingovia and Insane Power open up a pub together and sit in a corner sharing war stories. After a while people start to avoid us because we have become REALLY boring, and keep singing old war songs from the Underground and the NPD when we are drunk.

Nine years to the day.

Very interesting. Alas no Insane Power to open the pub with...lol.

I find it sad that we're still talking about things that occurred in 2005 and prior. There are a lot of roads traveled between then and now and yet for TNP is still goes back to that. The Crimson Order was a blip, but what about the rest of TNP's history between now and then. A few blips here and there but not much that has changed the direction of TNP. Maybe I'm overly nostalgic but what happened in 2012 that shapes us today? 2011? 2010?

punk d:
Very interesting. Alas no Insane Power to open the pub with...lol.

I find it sad that we're still talking about things that occurred in 2005 and prior. There are a lot of roads traveled between then and now and yet for TNP is still goes back to that. The Crimson Order was a blip, but what about the rest of TNP's history between now and then. A few blips here and there but not much that has changed the direction of TNP. Maybe I'm overly nostalgic but what happened in 2012 that shapes us today? 2011? 2010?
Everything post-Constitution, even the coups, are just bullet points on the bureaucratic map. While the forum 'community' here is very active, it is so enmeshed in legal procedure and red-tape that it can't move past the traumas of the past. The entire construct is designed to prevent rogue delegacies, although the only aspect of that which actually works is the Security Council and that is so only because the game installed Influence in order to curb the power of rogues.

Many of the prominent figures of the past decade here cut their teeth on UPS Rail and ALSO. Some even shifted their entire identities to compensate for their role in those events (Makenaland comes to mind).

Back