Election commissioners?

mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
I would like two people to nominate to be Election Commissioner. You should have voted in a TNP election before and be in good standing with the Regional Assembly in order for me to appoint you to the position. Keep in mind that if you are serving as Election Commissioner you cannot run for any position available at the general election.

Thanks Sanctaria. I'll send you over the Voting Booth password in the morning.

Geniva - I don't think you're a member of the regional assembly any more. I'll have to check the membership list.

Edit: I was correct. For that reason I will not be appointing you EC this time around.

I am kinda of curious about what being an election commissioner entails. But I do not think my inquisitiveness is enough to justify volunteering, plus I am newish. While being new I wouldnt think would disqulify someone, perhaps a serious role such as overseeing a particular race should be left up to someone more senior. Plus I have my hand in a couple of pies as it is. Just trying to settle in this deputy speaker role and figure things out and get my 'sea legs' so to speak. So while I am curious. And somewhat interrested. I also do not want to over extend myself or overwhelm myself or come off as overly ambitious I.E Pick me pick me to do all the things!

I am interrested and would do it to the best of my ability. Butttt on the other hand I wouldnt be too upset if you picked someone you thought would do a better job or who was more seasoned. Or whatever. I am kinda interrested but I won't cry too hard if you pass me up.

If you're in a pinch McM, I can be available for E.C., since I am in the R.A., and I don't plan on being a candidate any time soon, if ever. And I've worn the hat in the past. And I won't be offended if you find another second.

Thanks for applying Paul Wall. I'm sure you'd be more than capable, but I thought you were going to run for Vice Delegate? If you're sure that you won't run in any election, I'll make you the Third EC. That way you can observe and help out, but you don't have to take too much responsibility on yourself

Thanks Grosse. I will gladly get you to be the second Election Commissioner.

I mused about it but wasnt serious. Plus. Im not really considering it after my dreams were crushed when i found out there arent tickets/running mates :(

So yeah. If theres not a ticket system and each position is on its own. I have no intrests nor a chance. I dont want to be a joke vote getter. As such I would be free as an E.C. if McM was still interrested.

Unfortunately as you are Deputy Speaker Paul Wall you're unable to be EC. It is my fault and an oversight that I just realised when I was asked by Sanctaria about posting an oath as EC. The EC's effectively become government officials as they are appointed by the head of the executive.

Article 7. General Provisions

1. Constitutionally-mandated elected officials are the Delegate, Vice Delegate, Speaker, Justices, and Attorney General.
2. Government officials are the constitutionally-mandated elected officials, any officials appointed by them as permitted by law, and members of the Security Council.
3. The executive category consists of the Delegate, Vice Delegate, Attorney General, and government officials appointed by government officials in the executive category.

I see. I understand er well respect your decision.. But for clarification, Can you explain futher. I guess I don't understand. "Constitutionally mandated elected officals are the..." A deputy is appointed not elected. Then "officals are elected or appointed by law by the elected officals" - that makes sense. I was appointed by the lawfully elected speaker as a deputy therefore I assume all responsibilites of said office.

But then on the election commisioner job all I can find is this.

"5. "Election Commissioner" is an individual designated to supervise a given election. No Election Commissioner may run in the election they are overseeing."

As I am not running for election as I do not seek aelected position and my position was appointed. I do not nessicarily see the statute or provision that bars one from over seeing an election as long as its not one they are running in. (Obviously there would be a conflict there) if there is red tape that prevents me from being an EC because of my appointment I understand but I guess I'm just not seeing this red tape written in The law. I cant find a specific exclusionary clause applicable to my situation. Im not fighting your decision I respect it. I am just not finding the conflict there. Esp since there is no seperation of powers and people serve in multiple government positions around here elected and appointed. I could see not being able to over see a speakers race being a deputy to not sway favor for the incumbent. But i dont see a reason to dissallow to over see a delegates or vice delegates race. Or a judical race. Like I said just trying to better understand the rationale. But I am okay with whatever is decided.

I would note, with respect of where the prohibition would come, it would be here:

"9. No person may simultaneously serve in government official positions in more than one of the executive, legislative, or judicial categories. Exceptions to this provision may be established by law."
(In Article 7 of the Constitution)
However, the Electoral Commission are provided an exception, as provided for in the above clause, here:

"17. Election Commissioners will be appointed by the Delegate to oversee the candidacy declaration and election processes at least one week before the beginning of the month in which the election is to be held. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Vice Delegate shall promptly make the appointment. Regional Assembly members serving as government officials are not excluded from appointments under this clause."
(In Section 4.4 of the Legal Code)

I remember that this was a problem in the last election as well. Looks like it really isn't.

Back