Communications Seeks Statistics!

Kiwi

TNPer
Greetings!

As your Minister of Communications I have a few upcoming pieces that I am working on. As part of that, I would love to get the general feeling on a few of our recent issues.

One of the particularly great things about polls is that we get a general feeling of how people feel when they are not accountable for said feelings.

So vote away! Oh and if you would like your opinions included in upcoming pieces on these issues please feel free to contact me or submit a story or two. Hopefully I will have a thread up soon in the Communications forum.

Many thanks,

[me]
Minister of Communications

Edit: I am happy to append in other polls should people be interested.

I tried to answer as honestly as possible, with a couple of for the lulz responses I.E. What Petition? And how should I know if McM should be are perpetual delegate and unsure if he should be delegate again and unsure about current NPA.

Firstly, how Should I know if McM should be perpetual delegate? I like him and think he is doing a bang up job. Perpetually? I dont know my parents taught me about sharing or something. Sometimes it is good to give other people a chance.

Do I want to see McM as delegate again? Ive been here a month I like the job McM is doing. If he feels he has another term in him by all means let him run again. If he is allowed to. I would probably vote for him. Depends who the candidate pool is. Its up to the RA to decide if they want to change direction. If McM is allowed to run and loses or is not allowed to run again. It might be entertaining and I wouldnt be too terribly upset if there was new blood in the delegates seat.

On NPA. I wish people who are complaining about their recent activity would join up and help contribute. What ever missions come up are mostly voluntary. If those who are unhappy with the current raids i recomend signing up and getting a defender unit going or whatever. I am new to the NPA. The controversies made me want to sign up and participate and witness first hand what it is about. I took part in the recent scotland op. And liked it. Only thing i dislike about r/d is having to give my endo count up when i have to switch WA. Other than that. I am not anti-raiding. Personally I just want to make sure there is a good reason for it and it is not simply for the lulz cuz the npa can. And I hope the command structure continues to work on communication with the legislative body on active missions so the public is made aware. And checks and balances and withdraws ect. As written into the code of laws have a chance to be enacted if citizens and RA feel it needs to be.

Thanks for the poll.

Voted.

I did not understand question 1. the admins did not respond to the petition, since the petition was withdrawn while it was still under consideration.

flemingovia:
Voted.

I did not understand question 1. the admins did not respond to the petition, since the petition was withdrawn while it was still under consideration.
A response by definition is "a verbal or written answer" or "a reaction to something".

The Admin Team said they would talk about it and engaged in a dialogue. By my reasoning, that's a response, in a fashion.

So far it looks like the only options with majority support are 1) McM should not be our perpetual delegate, and 2) The NPA is going in the right direction.

Crushing Our Enemies:
So far it looks like the only options with majority support are 1) McM should not be our perpetual delegate, and 2) The NPA is going in the right direction.
Also 3) punkd is supported as admin and 4) McM should get another term. You seem to have missed those.

flemingovia:
Crushing Our Enemies:
Also 3) punkd is supported as admin and 4) McM should get another term. You seem to have missed those.
And no more VD for DD you seemed to have missed that. I suppose not having VD is a good thing though.

flemingovia:
Crushing Our Enemies:
And while that may be true, half the respondents were also dissatisfied with the way the Admin team handled the situation.

Blue Wolf II:
flemingovia:
Crushing Our Enemies:
And while that may be true, half the respondents were also dissatisfied with the way the Admin team handled the situation.
You really are a glass half empty kind of guy, aren't you?

I prefer to think that the admin team enjoys approval ratings that the president of the United States, the Prime Minister of Britain or the president of France would envy at the moment.

The numbers are changing all the time, Flem. When I posted, both of those options were at about 47%. As I post now, the Punk one is over 50, but McM for the a 3rd term is still in the 40s.

I'm not voting.

Thankful for the support. I've put in a lot of admin effort since becoming admin and it is nice to see many appreciate it.

I'm glass half-full but certainly anyone who voted against me today, I hope that if/when this poll is conducted again you might have a different opinion.

Nice poll, Kiwi. Very interesting.

I do have a problem with the first question, though. "No, it could have been better," is the logical response, isn't it? I mean, even something pretty great still falls short of awesome. When situations arise, there is always room for improvement as to how they are handled.

Also, without an open-ended question, it's hard to know in what way the response could have been better. Do the respondents feel Admin should have immediately sent Punk packing? Issued a gag order for DD? Told the petitioners to go f*** themselves? You see, it can mean a lot of different things.

It is hard to get every possible scenario into a poll. I've voted on this earlier. I voted no on being perpetual Delegate, I don't think that'd be fun for anyone.

How about perpetual delegate and have a program like take your son/daughter to work day...Delegate for a day, day! Where there is a random lottery and peoples names are drawn and they get to execute the duties of the office of delegate for a day ;)

PaulWallLibertarian42:
How about perpetual delegate and have a program like take your son/daughter to work day...Delegate for a day, day! Where there is a random lottery and peoples names are drawn and they get to execute the duties of the office of delegate for a day ;)
I can see the appeal in that policy, but somehow smell the incitement of anarchy. :P

Great Bights Mum:
I find Paul's outside-the-box thinking refreshing. He's like a one man brainstorm. :tb2:
Thank you. It doesnt endear me to my overlords IRL. I may be a one man brainstorm, yet my brain works in such a capacity as to not allow me to have concrete practical tangible abilitys to test the feasability of said ideas or put them into motion.

I have the crazy off the wall outside the box ideas, but someone else has to research and make them actionable for me. Lol

I believe the numbers have been changing a bit but when COE made his comment the polls he mentions as having a majority were the only ones above 50%. I always believed a majority was 51% or higher. In other words, he was spot on making the statement he did at the time.

One of the great things about statistics as a tool for the press is that they are very open to interpretation. For one thing we could be thrilled that PunkD has 57% support currently from the community but on the other hand we could be disappointed that 43% of the community either doesn't want him in the position or is unsure whether he should be.

GBM:
Nice poll, Kiwi. Very interesting.

I do have a problem with the first question, though. "No, it could have been better," is the logical response, isn't it? I mean, even something pretty great still falls short of awesome. When situations arise, there is always room for improvement as to how they are handled.

Also, without an open-ended question, it's hard to know in what way the response could have been better. Do the respondents feel Admin should have immediately sent Punk packing? Issued a gag order for DD? Told the petitioners to go f*** themselves? You see, it can mean a lot of different things.
Thanks for the feedback GBM! I apologise if you feel I pointed people in one particular direction with the questions, I promise I did think about them and tried to make it as fair as possible. I can definitely see where you're coming from in hindsight but I phrased that particular answer that way so it at least attempted to be respectful to Forum Administration. I'm of the view that everyone in TNP who gives their time to this community should be praised but I also think that no one should be free from criticism where it is valid.

One valid comment might also be that I should have used the term "forum moderation" instead.

I welcome anyone to PM me with any comments they have about any of the issues raised by this poll so that their point of view is fairly expressed in the upcoming media pieces.

Thank you to everyone who chose to vote but also thank you for the level headed comments in this thread. Well done.

Without polls for other admins or gov officials it is difficult to compare my numbers with others. The poll is specific and not at the same time.

I find the question concerning a 'perpetual delegate' rather disturbing.

It's like the Roman Republic handing Augustus the Imperium of Rome. McMasterdonia would have to change his name to IMPERATOR CAESAR DIVI FILIVS MICMASTERDONIUS.

But seriously, having perpetual Delegates in any form is a very bad idea for any number of reason.

The first is that any such Delegate would be constantly pressured into defending his delegacy from anyone even slightly more ambitious or crafty.

The second is that anyone who was ambitious enough and crafty enough to unseat a perpetual Delegate would establish legitimacy to the precept that the Delegacy belongs to anyone who can seize it and hold onto it. It leads to either totalitarianism or anarchy, or worse yet, mob rule.

The third reason is that if one Delegate stays in office for a long enough time, anyone who wants to coup the region has time to study how a particular Delegate behaves and then can quite easily find a way to exploit that behavior.

The reason the Roman Empire (RL) failed is because every Emperor was more busy trying to keep his head rather than to really accomplish anything.

That said, such a proposition might make things more interesting but sooner or later we would have to deal with a Nero or a Caligula (who, by the way could throw one hell of a party!). :P

punk d:
Without polls for other admins or gov officials it is difficult to compare my numbers with others. The poll is specific and not at the same time.
:agree: I don't think anyone wants a perpetual Delegate though. At least not in this region.

Back