Morsi ousted by military

Mohammed Morsi has just been ousted by the military in Egypt. Oil prices are over $101. What do you think will happen next?

This thread seems a little premature... coups tend to be hectic and information is unreliable. I would wait a few days before I said it was a sure thing. Even with the strength and popularity of the egyptian army being considered.

Ummm, what will happen next? New elections that keep the muslim brotherhood from winning a majority of parliamentary seats. Something like that, oh, and nothing will really change for the general population. Just awful. Maybe a civil war?

And that's exactly what I've been afraid of, ever since the Tahrir Square protests against Hosni Mubarak. Sure, my first reaction was a celebration of Egypt's apparent movement towards democracy; but right after Mubarak stepped down, I realized that the nation might become even worse, or at least more chaotic politically.

Well, I'm watching closely for developments on the situation in Egypt.

I think people underestimate the capacity for the army to be a stabilizing, secularizing force under certain circumstances. Both Turkey and Pakistan, for example, functioned much better under their frequent periods of military rule.

That's what I'd hope for, too, emphasis on the "elected" part; simply installing a pro-West leader without considering the desires of the people would place the government at risk once more, perhaps even leading to greater anti-Western sentiments. Of course, if Egypt is lucky enough to land an Ataturk-esque guy -- not exactly tolerant of his opposition, but great for the nation -- we could see some major, lasting reforms.

I would wager to guess that the Muslim Brotherhood will mount a revolution/civil war in an attempt to inflict an Islamic theocracy on Egypt. Personally, If I were the Egyptian Army, I would take Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood buddies and stand them up against a wall ASAP (I would be surprised if this doesn't happen).

I'm inclined to agree with Belschaft here. The military seems to be the most level headed force in Egypt, which is surprising.

I don't believe this is as bad as it appears. In the US we had the Articles of Confederation before the Constitution. Sometimes it takes failing to get it right. My hope is that Egypt will learn from the mistakes of the last year and improve.

I would agree that Belshaft is correct in his conclusion that the stability of the military is one of the motivations. I would also add that the Egyptian People became rapidly inclined to believe that Morsi shredded their Constitution and that they have no taste for a Sharia Law based Islamic Theocracy.

200,000 people in Cairo rioting overthrew Mubarek. 2 million people less than rioting overthrew Morsi. And once again, this perfectly illustrates how the US should not pick other countries leaders (be it Mubarek or The Muslim Brotherhood).

Good point, Romanoffia. I would add that even after the Constitution was ratified - a difficult task in itself - the United States still had to fight a civil war to cleanse the taint of slavery originally enshrined in the Constitution.

Democratic Donkeys:
Oh yeah, gotta love the military. Thank goodness they are providing the stability and security that has seen a rising number of protesters killed. I can't help but have a kneejerk reaction to a story about a military forcibly disbanding a democratically elected civilian government. I'm not really going to hop on the starry-eyed-for-the-army-train just yet. (There are plenty of other more recent reports of abuses on the same site)
Yes, because referring us to articles from 2011 is very helpful.

Are you dumb? I specifically ended my paragraph with a parenthetical aside about the fact there were more contemporaneous articles available. Specifically because I knew that if I didn't then my point would be dismissed just like you did. I would also argue that incidents from the last time the army took over two years ago are actually still relevant today. :o Even without more recent examples! Amazing!

Ash:
Good point, Romanoffia. I would add that even after the Constitution was ratified - a difficult task in itself - the United States still had to fight a civil war to cleanse the taint of slavery originally enshrined in the Constitution.
Exactly. Point understood. The question is whether or not the upcoming Egyptian revolution will follow the French or American model.

I suspect that there is a lamp post with Morsi's name on it, but that would be the Italian model. :lol:

Back