Security Council Reform Bill

Any nation that accumulated more than about 100 SPDR outside TNP could have a difficult time joining the SC, yes.

Eluvatar:
Any nation that accumulated more than about 100 SPDR outside TNP could have a difficult time joining the SC, yes.
1) The bill does not specify 100 SPDR
2) Why ought this be the case? What is so untrustworthy about nations that have resided elsewhere that is not true of any puppet their handler might create?

The reason I wrote it this way is because reasoning about the influence score becomes difficult when one has a significant extraregional component.

After our discussion in #tnp I'm happy to state what I really wanted but feared would be too potentially complex:

r3n:
3. The influence requirement is either being able to demonstrate a quantity of influence in The North Pacific corresponding to an influence score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) larger than 300, or having an influence rank in The North Pacific greater than or equal to Vassal.

Note: I am withdrawing my motion to vote to discuss the influence requirement a little bit further.

I've had a chance to study the proposal a bit more and would like to discuss a few points.

First, some housekeeping details:

5.1:4 should be moved up with the definitions
5.1:6 reads "eightycount" instead of 85%
5.3:18 "the range required of Council members for over ," should read: "the range required of Council members or over,"

Second, why are we getting rid of 5.1:8, which calls for reasonable enforcement of the endorsement standards? I like that clause. It helps prevent the sort of impractical rigidity we have seen with other laws. Absent a good reason for repealing it, I think it should be kept in.

Third, 5.3:11. About these NPA sanctioned missions. None of the limits we discussed above have been incorporated. Nowhere does it say that we need to be reasonable about it. It could mean a long deployment. It could mean most of the SC aren't around to secure the region. If you look at the NPA guidelines, there is a lot of latitude to sanction all kinds of missions, of any frequency and duration. The current language of the proposal gives everyone in the SC carte blanche to be on active duty abroad for an indefinite amount of time. I'm already feeling less secure. :unsure:

Finally, the standards for the VD in 5.3:18 do not take into account certain scenarios. For example, the RA may elect a nation who has 0 endorsements. Is he going to be immediately removed from office? Well no, that wouldn't be reasonable. I am just not in favor of establishing hard and fast rules that don't allow for prudent action if unanticipated situations arise.

Regarding the NPA question: the exemption is from immediate removal for dropping WA. It's not an exemption from the required warning and 8 day grace period process.

Regarding the new members question, I believe applicants are required to meet the endorsement level requirement to be eligible (to apply or be added).

I'll look at the technical points in a bit.

... There seems to be a time period that got omitted from the Vice Delegate clause somehow.

I'm going to go use this to fix those bits.

I have no objection to moving the definition of serving Delegate up if r3n has no objection.

I'll get back to the technical errors sometime in the next few days but in the meanwhile, a former SC member just lost Vassal status this Wednesday: Denarian Knight with an influence score of 470 SPDR. That tells us the threshold to be a Vassal just went over 470. That's up by 10 since mid-March.

As this proposal was introduced under the old procedures, it will continue under them (a motion to vote and second from any members will prompt me to schedule a vote.) I will, however, entertain motions from the member who introduced the proposal to close this thread and allow them to open a new one under the new procedures (a motion to vote from the author triggers Formal Debate, lasting up to five days, after which it enters the queue, and must be seconded within two days for a vote to be scheduled.)

Oh swell. If this passes, the maximum endorsement level for the SC will be "eightycount."

This motion is premature, as Elu hasn't gotten around to making the minor typographic changes he acknowledged were necessary. Furthermore, the substantive issues I raised above have not been addressed. I cannot support the proposal in its present form. If Elu were around, he would likely agree that it is not quite ready.

Sorry, I thought Eluvatar had fixed that issue ages ago as we had been discussing it weeks ago. Obviously Elu would agree that it's not quite ready given the typographical errors.

Eluvatar:
Section 5.1: Requirements:

9.[/i][/s][/color] The legitimate serving Delegate is exempt from endorsement requirements.
The way this is written, it could be construed as requiring the Security Council to support a Delegate that is not legitimate. Meaning that, if a Delegate goes rogue, or a usurper comes to power (a non-legitimate delegate), then the SC would be required to support said rogue or usurper because regardless of status, legitimate or otherwise, the "Delegate" is exempt from the endorsement requirements.

The term "Delegate" needs to be specifically defined or at least given a specific embeded reference in this document.

Just sayin', given the legalistic nature of the region. :shifty:

Romanoffia:
Eluvatar:
Section 5.1: Requirements:

9.[/i][/s][/color] The legitimate serving Delegate is exempt from endorsement requirements.
The way this is written, it could be construed as requiring the Security Council to support a Delegate that is not legitimate. Meaning that, if a Delegate goes rogue, or a usurper comes to power (a non-legitimate delegate), then the SC would be required to support said rogue or usurper because regardless of status, legitimate or otherwise, the "Delegate" is exempt from the endorsement requirements.

The term "Delegate" needs to be specifically defined or at least given a specific embeded reference in this document.

Just sayin', given the legalistic nature of the region. :shifty:
Roman doesn't this cover that:

4. In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the legal Delegate or, in the absence of a legal Delegate, the acting Delegate.

Firstly I'm a fan of Elu and GBM here so I don't want to tread on any toes but I will do anyway because there is a chance it might help things if this reform is given a nudge forward.

Security Council Reform Bill:
A Proposal to Amend a Law
The below amendment to the North Pacific Legal Code will be applied.

Chapter 5: Security Council Law:
Chapter 5: Security Council Law

1. Any laws regulating the activities of the Security Council must be listed in this chapter.
2. In this chapter, "Council" means the Security Council.
3. In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the legal Delegate or, in the absence of a legal Delegate, the acting Delegate.

Section 5.1: Requirements
3. The influence requirement will consist of a Members of the Council will maintain an TNP influence level score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) greater than or equal to or greater than Vassal 300, though when a nation's influence score within TNP is unknown as the displayed score may include significant influence within other regions, a TNP influence rank greater than or equal to Vassal may be substituted.
4. Members of the Council will maintain an endorsement level within the range described in this Section.
4. In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the legal Delegate or, in the absence of a legal Delegate, the acting Delegate.

5. The minimum endorsement count level is defined as being 50 100 endorsements, or fifty per cent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count, whichever is least.
6. The maximum endorsement count level is defined as 20 40 fewer endorsements than the serving Delegate's endorsement count, or eighty-five percent of said count, whichever is greatest.
7. Where the computation results in fractions, the count shall be rounded down.
8. The required range is to be applied in a reasonable manner, taking into account such factors as transitions between elected Delegates, the recall of a Delegate, or periods of Delegate inactivity.
The legitimate serving Delegate is exempt from endorsement requirements.

Section 5.2: Admission
8. Any Regional Assembly member satisfying the influence requirement and endorsement count requirement may apply to join the Security Council.
9. An application which does not meet the appropriate requirements or ceases to meet them must be rejected.

Section 5.23: Enforcement
10. If Whenever any Council member does not have the required satisfy either the influence level, or exceeds or does not meet the required the endorsement level requirement, the Vice Delegate will must warn them. If , and if the Council member does not come into compliance within at least fifteen eight days of the warning, the Vice Delegate will must suspend them.
11. The Vice Delegate shall must remove members of the Council whose member nation no longer exists or no longer resides in voluntarily departs The North Pacific or resigns from the World Assembly outside the needs of a NPA sanctioned mission.
12. The Vice Delegate will must report any suspension or removal of a member of the Council to the Regional Assembly.
13. If a suspended member of the Council comes back into compliance with the endorsement and influence requirements, the Vice Delegate will reinstate them.
14. A majority of the Council may vote to determine that the continued membership in the Council of a member poses a security risk to The North Pacific and request approval from the Regional Assembly to remove the member from the Council.
15. The Speaker of the Regional Assembly will submit the request to an immediate vote of the Regional Assembly; approval will require a two-thirds majority.
16. The Council may task a member with taking actions required under this chapter in the absence of the Vice Delegate.
17. During any period when serving as acting Delegate, the Vice Delegate will be considered absent from the office of Vice Delegate.
18. If the Vice Delegate nation ceases to exist or voluntarily departs The North Pacific or resigns from the World Assembly, or fails to maintain an endorsement level within the range required of Council members for over eight days, the Vice Delegate will be removed from office.

Section 5.4: Sanity
The Security Council Law is to be applied in a reasonable manner.
The Vice Delegate and Council members will act reasonably in the execution of these rules.

Addressing GBM's five concerns first (if there are other concerns I will attempt to address them but would be happy for others to do too)

Great Bights Mum:
I've had a chance to study the proposal a bit more and would like to discuss a few points.

First, some housekeeping details:

5.1:4 should be moved up with the definitions
5.1:6 reads "eightycount" instead of 85%
5.3:18 "the range required of Council members for over ," should read: "the range required of Council members or over,"
1a) regarding definition - it has been moved from 5.1:4 to the top.

1b) regarding eightycount - Elu already corrected this.

1c) regarding "for over" vs "or over" - re-reading it a few times "for over" makes sense as the time period is referring to the whole clause it is not a separate clause - so this should remain as "for over" not "or over"

Great Bights Mum:
Second, why are we getting rid of 5.1:8, which calls for reasonable enforcement of the endorsement standards? I like that clause. It helps prevent the sort of impractical rigidity we have seen with other laws. Absent a good reason for repealing it, I think it should be kept in.
2) I think the thing could still work without a "reasonable" clause but to be safe have reinstated one as 5.4

Great Bights Mum:
Third, 5.3:11. About these NPA sanctioned missions. None of the limits we discussed above have been incorporated. Nowhere does it say that we need to be reasonable about it. It could mean a long deployment. It could mean most of the SC aren't around to secure the region. If you look at the NPA guidelines, there is a lot of latitude to sanction all kinds of missions, of any frequency and duration. The current language of the proposal gives everyone in the SC carte blanche to be on active duty abroad for an indefinite amount of time. I'm already feeling less secure. :unsure:
3) As Elu Eluded to, the 5.3.11 is regarding the removal of members for dropping WA, where NPA sanctioned missions is an exception, whereas this does not affect the 8 day deadline for meeting the normal SC member requirements, which is controlled by 5.3.1 and is regarding suspension. Therefore any unreasonable deployment will cause the SC member to be suspended for violation of 5.3.1

Great Bights Mum:
Finally, the standards for the VD in 5.3:18 do not take into account certain scenarios. For example, the RA may elect a nation who has 0 endorsements. Is he going to be immediately removed from office? Well no, that wouldn't be reasonable. I am just not in favor of establishing hard and fast rules that don't allow for prudent action if unanticipated situations arise.
4) Covered by the new part 5.4

edit: 5.4 revised to be more in line with the original 5.1.8

Thanks, Chas. This revision adequately addresses my concerns. After 5.1 it should start with the number 4. Then I think it's good to go.

If it has your support, GBM, then it must be almost perfect. I'll support this as soon as it's ready to be voted on.

Couple suggestions:

5.3.18: "for over" would read more clearly if it were swapped to "for more than".

5.3.10. The use of either/or could potentially be interpreted as saying that the VD need not warn the council member if both requirements are not met at the same time. Perhaps change the wording to, something like, "Whenever any Council member fails to meet any requirements to maintain their position, the Vice Delegate must give them a warning. If a member does not meet the requirement within eight days after receiving a warning, their membership on the Council will be suspended." This, I believe, would be clearer - and means less editing in the future if we decide to change the requirements for SC members.

5.3.11. I believe the insertion of some commae would improve readability. "The Vice Delegate must remove members of the Council whose member nation no longer exists, or voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly outside the needs of a NPA sanctioned mission." Without commae, the scope of the final clause is vague, and implies that an SC nation could CTE on the orders of the NPA.

5.3.17. I have not checked other law for clarification yet, but could this clause trigger an unnecessary election? That is, if the Delegate were to go on a short vacation and leave the VD as Acting Delegate - temporarily carrying out the duties of the office but not holding the seat - would a clause declaring an absence in the Office of the VD be a legal conundrum?

5.3.18. Again I think some commae could help. "If the Vice Delegate nation ceases to exist, or voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly, or fails to maintain an endorsement level within the range required of Council members for over eight days, the Vice Delegate will be removed from office." I also wonder if the mechanism for the final clause should be specified - who removes the VD?

Edit for tags. <_<
The lack of preview button in the quick reply box is the worst.

The below amendment to the North Pacific Legal Code will be applied.

1. Any laws regulating the activities of the Security Council must be listed in this chapter.
3. In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the legal Delegate or, in the absence of a legal Delegate, the acting Delegate.

3. The influence requirement will consist of a Members of the Council will maintain an TNP influence level score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) greater than or equal to or greater than Vassal 300, though when a nation's influence score within TNP is unknown as the displayed score may include significant influence within other regions, a TNP influence rank greater than or equal to Vassal may be substituted.
4. Members of the Council will maintain an endorsement level within the range described in this Section.
45. The minimum endorsement count level is defined as being 50 100 endorsements, or fifty per cent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count, whichever is least.
56. The maximum endorsement count level is defined as 20 40 fewer endorsements than the serving Delegate's endorsement count, or eighty-five percent of said count, whichever is greatest.
67. Where the computation results in fractions, the count shall be rounded down.
78. The required range is to be applied in a reasonable manner, taking into account such factors as transitions between elected Delegates, the recall of a Delegate, or periods of Delegate inactivity.

8. Any Regional Assembly member satisfying the influence requirement and endorsement count requirement may apply to join the Security Council.
9. An application which does not meet the appropriate requirements or ceases to meet them must be rejected.

10. If Whenever any Council member fails to meet any requirements to maintain their positiondoes not have the required satisfy either the influence level, or exceeds or does not meet the required the endorsement level requirement, the Vice Delegate will must warn them. If , and if the Council member does not come into compliance within at least fifteen eight days of the warning, the Vice Delegate will must suspend them.
11. The Vice Delegate shall must remove members of the Council whose member nation no longer exists, no longer resides in voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly outside the needs of a NPA sanctioned mission.
12. The Vice Delegate will must report any suspension or removal of a member of the Council to the Regional Assembly.
13. If a suspended member of the Council comes back into compliance with the endorsement and influence requirements, the Vice Delegate will reinstate them.
14. A majority of the Council may vote to determine that the continued membership in the Council of a member poses a security risk to The North Pacific and request approval from the Regional Assembly to remove the member from the Council.
15. The Speaker of the Regional Assembly will submit the request to an immediate vote of the Regional Assembly; approval will require a two-thirds majority.
16. The Council may task a member with taking actions required under this chapter in the absence of the Vice Delegate.
17. During any period when serving as acting Delegate, the Vice Delegate will be considered absent from the office of Vice Delegate.
18. If the Vice Delegate nation ceases to exist, or voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly, or fails to maintain an endorsement level within the range required of Council members for overfor more than eight days, the Vice Delegate will be removed from office.

The Security Council Law is to be applied in a reasonable manner.
In response to:

Great Bights Mum:
Thanks, Chas. This revision adequately addresses my concerns. After 5.1 it should start with the number 4. Then I think it's good to go.
Thanks. The 5, 6, 7, and 8 in 5.1 have been renumbered 4, 5, 6, 7.

SillyString:
Couple suggestions:

5.3.18: "for over" would read more clearly if it were swapped to "for more than".
Updated.

SillyString:
5.3.10. The use of either/or could potentially be interpreted as saying that the VD need not warn the council member if both requirements are not met at the same time. Perhaps change the wording to, something like, "Whenever any Council member fails to meet any requirements to maintain their position, the Vice Delegate must give them a warning. If a member does not meet the requirement within eight days after receiving a warning, their membership on the Council will be suspended." This, I believe, would be clearer - and means less editing in the future if we decide to change the requirements for SC members.
Updated.

SillyString:
5.3.11. I believe the insertion of some commae would improve readability. "The Vice Delegate must remove members of the Council whose member nation no longer exists, or voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly outside the needs of a NPA sanctioned mission." Without commae, the scope of the final clause is vague, and implies that an SC nation could CTE on the orders of the NPA.
Updated.

SillyString:
5.3.17. I have not checked other law for clarification yet, but could this clause trigger an unnecessary election? That is, if the Delegate were to go on a short vacation and leave the VD as Acting Delegate - temporarily carrying out the duties of the office but not holding the seat - would a clause declaring an absence in the Office of the VD be a legal conundrum?
The RA has the legal responsibility for establishing an order of succession for the eventuality where the vice delegate is out of office. The vice delegate would only be absent for as long as the delegate is absent. The acting chair would do the vice delegate's duties for as long as the vice delegate was doing the delegate's duties. The assumption of the other person's duties is triggered by absence but the election is triggered only by an actual vacancy.

SillyString:
5.3.18. Again I think some commae could help. "If the Vice Delegate nation ceases to exist, or voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly, or fails to maintain an endorsement level within the range required of Council members for over eight days, the Vice Delegate will be removed from office." I also wonder if the mechanism for the final clause should be specified - who removes the VD?
Updated. The office of vice delegate would simply become vacant at that point. The duties of the vice delegate would be performed by the acting chair.

Just so everyone is aware: because this was introduced prior to the rule change, and especially because Elu is absent, the proposal can be motioned and seconded directly to a vote once it is put in legislative format.

Chapter 5 of the Legal Code, which currently reads as follows:

3. Members of the Council will maintain an influence level equal to or greater than Vassal.
5. The minimum level is defined as being 50 endorsements, or fifty per cent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count, whichever is least.
6. The maximum level is defined as 20 fewer endorsements than the serving Delegate's endorsement count, or eighty-five percent of said count, whichever is greatest.
8. The required range is to be applied in a reasonable manner, taking into account such factors as transitions between elected Delegates, the recall of a Delegate, or periods of Delegate inactivity.
9. The legitimate Delegate is exempt from endorsement requirements.

Section 5.2: Enforcement
10. If any Council member does not have the required influence level, or exceeds or does not meet the required endorsement level, the Vice Delegate will warn them. If the Council member does not come into compliance within at least fifteen days of the warning, the Vice Delegate will suspend them.
11. The Vice Delegate shall remove members of the Council whose member nation no longer exists or no longer resides in The North Pacific or resigns from the World Assembly.
12. The Vice Delegate will report any suspension or removal of a member of the Council to the Regional Assembly.
be amended with the following changes:

43. The influence requirement will consist of a Members of the Council will maintain an TNP influence level score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) greater than or equal to or greater than Vassal 300, though when a nation's influence score within TNP is unknown as the displayed score may include significant influence within other regions, a TNP influence rank greater than or equal to Vassal may be substituted.
5. The minimum endorsement count level is defined as being 50 100 endorsements, or fifty per cent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count, whichever is least.
6. The maximum endorsement count level is defined as 20 40 fewer endorsements than the serving Delegate's endorsement count, or eighty-five percent of said count, whichever is greatest.

89. Any Regional Assembly member satisfying the influence requirement and endorsement count requirement may apply to join the Security Council.
910. An application which does not meet the appropriate requirements or ceases to meet them must be rejected.

1011. If Whenever any Council member fails to meet any requirements to maintain their positiondoes not have the required satisfy either the influence level, or exceeds or does not meet the required the endorsement level requirement, the Vice Delegate will must warn them. If , and if the Council member does not come into compliance within at least fifteen eight days of the warning, the Vice Delegate will must suspend them.
1112. The Vice Delegate shall must remove members of the Council whose member nation no longer exists, no longer resides in voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly outside the needs of a NPA sanctioned mission.
1213. The Vice Delegate will must report any suspension or removal of a member of the Council to the Regional Assembly.
1314. If a suspended member of the Council comes back into compliance with the endorsement and influence requirements, the Vice Delegate will reinstate them.
1415. A majority of the Council may vote to determine that the continued membership in the Council of a member poses a security risk to The North Pacific and request approval from the Regional Assembly to remove the member from the Council.
1516. The Speaker of the Regional Assembly will submit the request to an immediate vote of the Regional Assembly; approval will require a two-thirds majority.
17. The Council may task a member with taking actions required under this chapter in the absence of the Vice Delegate.
18. During any period when serving as acting Delegate, the Vice Delegate will be considered absent from the office of Vice Delegate.
19. If the Vice Delegate nation ceases to exist, or voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly, or fails to maintain an endorsement level within the range required of Council members for overfor more than eight days, the Vice Delegate will be removed from office.

20. The Security Council Law is to be applied in a reasonable manner.
so that it will read as follows:

4. The influence requirement will consist of a TNP influence score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) greater than or equal to 300, though when a nation's influence score within TNP is unknown as the displayed score may include significant influence within other regions, a TNP influence rank greater than or equal to Vassal may be substituted.
5. The minimum endorsement count is defined as 100 endorsements, or fifty per cent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count, whichever is least.
6. The maximum endorsement count is defined as 40 fewer endorsements than the serving Delegate's endorsement count, or eighty-five percent of said count, whichever is greatest.
8. The serving Delegate is exempt from endorsement requirements.

9. Any Regional Assembly member satisfying the influence requirement and endorsement count requirement may apply to join the Security Council.
10. An application which does not meet the appropriate requirements or ceases to meet them must be rejected.

Section 5.3: Enforcement
11. Whenever any Council member fails to meet any requirements to maintain their position, the Vice Delegate must warn them, and if the Council member does not come into compliance within eight days of the warning, the Vice Delegate must suspend them.
12. The Vice Delegate must remove members of the Council whose member nation no longer exists, voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly outside the needs of a NPA sanctioned mission.
13. The Vice Delegate must report any suspension or removal of a member of the Council to the Regional Assembly.
14. If a suspended member of the Council comes back into compliance with the endorsement and influence requirements, the Vice Delegate will reinstate them.
15. A majority of the Council may vote to determine that the continued membership in the Council of a member poses a security risk to The North Pacific and request approval from the Regional Assembly to remove the member from the Council.
16. The Speaker of the Regional Assembly will submit the request to an immediate vote of the Regional Assembly; approval will require a two-thirds majority.
17. The Council may task a member with taking actions required under this chapter in the absence of the Vice Delegate.
18. During any period when serving as acting Delegate, the Vice Delegate will be considered absent from the office of Vice Delegate.
19. If the Vice Delegate nation ceases to exist, voluntarily departs The North Pacific, resigns from the World Assembly, or fails to maintain an endorsement level within the range required of Council members for more than eight days, the Vice Delegate will be removed from office.

20. The Security Council Law is to be applied in a reasonable manner.

YAY. I think the rules say a vote opens now. BEE ARR BEE.
Insert something fancy and formal and elegantly worded for COE's sake.

Back