Govindia for Speaker

Govindia

TNPer
While the last time I was speaker did not go well in the end, it humbled my experience, and I have applied the learning experience to where I am Speaker, or Riksdagens Talman, in Balder's Parliament, the Riksdag. We managed to get most, if not all of the bills under discussion passed in a very quick and efficient manner.

If elected Speaker I will help ensure that bills, motions, and other legislative actions get done in a quick and efficient manner here too. I have been a Deputy Speaker and Speaker here before, and my experience here will help me here in this position.

I will now take questions at this time.

Chasmanthe:
If you were Speaker, would you abstain on all votes?
Yes, unless there needs to have a tie broken.

I intend to try to be as impartial as possible and ensure bills are moved through / voted on / debated on in a timely and efficacious manner.

Flem, I appreciate your endorsement

Govindia, I would like to ask two questions;

1. How many bills have passed under your watch in the Balder parliament?

2. If you are speaker of another parliament already, can we trust that you will be able to dedicate your full attention to the Regional Assembly and your duties in the North Pacific? Will you be able to achieve this?

If this sort of thing was a success criterion, our current Attorney general would be royally screwed, wouldn't he?

Kingborough:
The answer to this is two. He's been speaker since July, as a note.

A better question would be, how much did you contribute to the drafting process with regards to these two bills?

I won't comment on this question until Govindia has answered it.

Kingborough:
Govindia, I would like to ask two questions;

2. If you are speaker of another parliament already, can we trust that you will be able to dedicate your full attention to the Regional Assembly and your duties in the North Pacific? Will you be able to achieve this?
1. I believe we have passed three bills in Parliament and are soon to bring to vote a fourth.

2. One thing I am skilled at as an engineer IRL is my ability to multi-task jobs, and I can do that well, and I can multi-task. If something does interfere that I will not be able to devote the proper level of time and attention as Speaker here in TNP, I will resign.

madjack:
Kingborough:

A better question would be, how much did you contribute to the drafting process with regards to these two bills?

As the Speaker, I feel my role is more of an impartial moderator than one who contributes to the bill drafting process unless it is necessary, if that makes sense :)

Govindia:
madjack:
Kingborough:

As the Speaker, I feel my role is more of an impartial moderator than one who contributes to the bill drafting process unless it is necessary, if that makes sense :)
It does. I thank you for the answer.

Camwood:
Why should I vote for you?
I feel that I have a good amount of experience as Speaker to know how to do the job well in the region, and what needs to be done. My previous experience has humbled me and I am willing to apply the lessons learned of my experiences as being a regional Speaker to this job to help improve efficiency and effectiveness.

I simply ask you vote based on who's more qualified than who you like. In my view, this and any election should be about the merits of each candidate, not about their popularity, if that makes sense.

Well I don't know why you shouldn't vote for me. I have the credentials, experience and knowledge in the job of being Speaker :)

You've rather missed (what I think was) the point of Wolf's question. A good candidate recognises that nobody is perfect, and is able to realise what their own flaws are. You can't try to minimise them if you're too pigheaded to realise that you have them and what they are in the first place.

Now, I also have a question for you - are there any circumstances in which you would you decide that you weren't going to take a motion to the voting floor, or that something should not be discussed?

EDIT: note to self, never use fast reply on a phone.

Govindia's track record speaks for itself. The fact that he is blind to the light of Flemingovianism shows that he is not perfect, but you do not have to be perfect to be speaker. You just have to be the best candidate.

Abbey Anumia:
You've rather missed (what I think was) the point of Wolf's question. A good candidate recognises that nobody is perfect, and is able to realise what their own flaws are. You can't try to minimise them if you're too pigheaded to realise that you have them and what they are in the first place.

Now, I also have a question for you - are there any circumstances in which you would you decide that you weren't going to take a motion to the voting floor, or that something should not be discussed?

EDIT: note to self, never use fast reply on a phone.
Unless it concerned forum administration that had to be dealt with there, or if it was something involving regional security matters, no. I would do my best to bring voting motions to the floor in a timely manner as possible, and made sure bills were debated on unless motioned to table.

Hope that answers your question?

It does, although the now not-tired Abbey has an extra bit to add on - are there any other actions that as speaker you would decide are best not to be done, such as removing RA members?

I'd also quite like to see Wolf's question answered properly.

Let us all remember the last time Govindia was speaker, when he bravely and selflessly defended his position as speaker from the usurpers would have liked to see him removed, providing false documents suggesting he should be removed. Such an action is commendable and worth an election.

Abbey Anumia:
It does, although the now not-tired Abbey has an extra bit to add on - are there any other actions that as speaker you would decide are best not to be done, such as removing RA members?

I'd also quite like to see Wolf's question answered properly.
I would remove RA members if they failed to meet requirements or were recalled / resigned, etc. I wouldn't refuse to remove one unless I'm ordered to by the courts.

I really don't know how to answer Wolf's question to be honest. I tried expressing to vote on merit, not popularity. If you don't like me, you don't have to vote for me. If you think the other candidates are better, you should not vote for me. I want voters to vote with their conscience and vote on merits, not popularity. Abbey I am not else sure what he wants me to say :(

I'm not asking people to do anything other than vote on merit, quite the opposite. I'm asking you to acknowledge why people might -not- vote for you, and (if you were sensible about the response) how you'd do your best to avoid it. Not popularity based things. For example, I might answer for myself something like my tendency to get sick, or to get buried in schoolwork and be unavailable for a few days. Still merit-based.

Abbey Anumia:
I'm not asking people to do anything other than vote on merit, quite the opposite. I'm asking you to acknowledge why people might -not- vote for you, and (if you were sensible about the response) how you'd do your best to avoid it. Not popularity based things. For example, I might answer for myself something like my tendency to get sick, or to get buried in schoolwork and be unavailable for a few days. Still merit-based.
Sorry, I'm at work and my mind is splatter-brained at the moment. Please forgive me.

I guess then why people may not vote for me would be either A. people may not like me and just vote for the others because they like them, which is quite possible and all I can do is to be as civil and professional to the best of my ability; B. My record when I was Speaker towards the end of my term, which I said that the experience did in retrospect humble me, and I have apologised for it; or C. People may think my duties in Balder as Speaker may conflict with that here, and I had said that I am good with multi-tasking and would still do my best to make sure the job is done here, otherwise resign.

Well, you said that I should vote for who is the most qualified rather than the most likeable, which I took as Qualifications reign over Character, is that true according to your beliefs?

Camwood:
Well, you said that I should vote for who is the most qualified rather than the most likeable, which I took as Qualifications reign over Character, is that true according to your beliefs?
Having good character is a qualification for all electoral candidates.

Back