Abbey for Council of Five!

Abbey

TNPer
Anybody that knows me knows that I hate writing these threads but hey ho.

Well, I'm Abbey Anumia, and I'd love to get more involved in TNP as part of the Council of Five. I may be a new member to the RA - the reason I didn't join months ago was due to my personal uncomfortableness with knowingly breaking the law - but I've been lurking and paying attention as a registered citizen for quite a while now, and I'm on IRC... way too much.

I'm not new to NS - in other regions, I've been involved in most areas at some point or another in some form or another. My current "main" region is as the founder of Cat Burglars, but despite that, I like having a bit of variety in my NS life, and I like to do something a bit different. I've enjoyed it in TNP, and this would be a really awesome opportunity for me to get more involved.

If you have any questions, fire away!

(as a note, I have a wedding to go to today, with the associated reception this evening - as I'm barely recovered from exhaustion, I'm not going to be around late tonight or early tomorrow to answer questions, so expect any answers to be afternoon tomorrow BST)

From your opening post you doubtless have experience in Nationstates. But since you only arrived on this forum less than four months ago, and in that time have made only 61 posts, do you think you have the experience of The North Pacific to be elected to the Council of Five?

For the record, Abbey has spoken 3500 times in #tnp during that time.

I have spoken 15381 times, and you have spoken 2592 times in that same time.

Eluvatar:

I think I will introduce govindia at this point to discuss the importance of #tnp to the debate.

Good to see you have a champion, abbey.

flemingovia:
Eluvatar:

I think I will introduce govindia at this point to discuss the importance of #tnp to the debate.

Good to see you have a champion, abbey.
:lol: If you say so.

I merely don't expect everyone to have access to those relevant statistics.

As much as IRC is not a very reliable metric of activity and knowledge, what I think Elu's numbers do show is that I have been interested and paying attention, and I've just not posted much. Which is something that I'll always do - I'll spend a few months watching and learning, and then dive in headfirst when I'm happy that I've got to grips with the region and that I want to get more involved (and when my schoolwork load is going to be light enough for long enough). I'll sometimes surprise myself by how little I've posted - my post count is about as unreliable as IRC as a metric of my own activity and knowledge, certainly for several months. I don't do anything unless I feel absolutely happy that I'm ready for it, on the same score, even if I don't win this election, you can still expect me to continue getting more involved.

EDIT: I have just had a potentially major hard drive failure on my computer. I have a live boot from my memory stick, and I may be able to get a new hard drive tomorrow, but I have lost all my files and I've got enough work to keep me busy as it is. Please, please bear with me.

EDIT2: It appears to have fixed itself...for now.

Because Larry hit a really big pothole and couldn't keep his centre of mass above the base of his bike :(

The Cabinet is a dynamic group of people, often there are disagreements and rowdy debates. As a member of the cabinet how do you think you would contribute to this? What would you do to ensure you have a good working relationship with the rest of cabinet?

My ethos, whenever I get involved in a debate of any form, is to be consistently trying to see why the "other side" think the way that they do, and to try and reach some form of compromise. I keep my mind open, and try to be reasonable with anything that I do or say. I'll always avoid crossing the line into rudeness, because I don't think that that's ever reasonable within a group of people you should be working together with towards the common goal of improving the region.

I'll say what I think, though, and won't avoid saying something on the basis that it might offend someone. I also keep personal differences out of the way of things, and not let them impede my working well as part of a (what should be) diverse group of people. There are people that I may not like very much, but will happily work with.

I think a key thing is to remember when to stop, and when to walk away, if only to go and have a cup of coffee and calm down. I think that that is something which is important for maintaining civility within a cabinet, as otherwise, we'll say things which we may later regret. Another thing that I always try to keep in mind is that the other people in a debate have come to their point of view of their own accord, and they're not stupid - therefore their opinion deserves as much respect as I'd expect to be paid to my own, no matter how -wrong- I may think it is. The only way to change a mind is to be civil and sensible about it, and to be open to compromise, always.

Back