Romanoffia for Delegate

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
I, Romanoffia, leader of the nation of Novare Res, hereby declare my candidacy for Delegate of The North Pacific.

That said, I would like to say that it has been and always will be a privilege to be dedicated servant to The North Pacific for my entire time in NationStates.

My campaign for Delegate will be somewhat unusual. Rather than making a long statement about my positions and opinions, I will simply make a few brief statements and not give a big laundry list of campaign promises. Then I will field any and all questions and give you my honest and uncensored answers to those questions.

I do this in keeping with my personal opinion that each nation be taken seriously regardless of their influence or time in the region or time as a member of the Regional Assembly. I also do this in keeping with my personal and public policy to listen to all aspects of any issue regardless of the source.

Everyone needs to be heard and I as Delegate, listening to the advise and opinions of others even if and especially if they are different than mine will be a keynote point of my Delegacy. The more controversial the question, the more I invite that question because it is important to know whom one is voting for and to make an educated decision before voting for such an important position as Delegate.

So, it is my request of the citizens of The North Pacific to ask of me those questions that are the most difficult to answer. You need to know who you are voting for.

Again, it is a privilege to be a citizen of The North Pacific, to have served this region for as long as I have and to continue serving The North Pacific, its interests and to increase it's preeminence in NationStates. Let's make The North Pacific the number one region and create a golden age in which this region is once again number one.

Ask questions, not only of me, but of everyone running for any and all positions.

Best Regards,

Romanoffia

Romanoffia,

I have only been around for a few months really. In that time it has come to my attention that there is a deep rift between many senior members of The North Pacific. These rifts, rivalries don't really do the region any good. The region faced two recall votes and a couple of security alerts, which I felt at times did more damage than good to the region.

My question: How as Delegate would you aim to repair this divide between senior nations? How would you unify the region?

Without Unity and some sort of consensus based approach, The North Pacific risks looking weak, disunified and vulnerable.

mcmasterdonia:
Romanoffia,

I have only been around for a few months really. In that time it has come to my attention that there is a deep rift between many senior members of The North Pacific. These rifts, rivalries don't really do the region any good. The region faced two recall votes and a couple of security alerts, which I felt at times did more damage than good to the region.

My question: How as Delegate would you aim to repair this divide between senior nations? How would you unify the region?

Without Unity and some sort of consensus based approach, The North Pacific risks looking weak, disunified and vulnerable.
Well, the problem here is a long standing distrust between a small group of long standing TNP nations and anyone who comes along with a new idea or anything that upsets the 'Status Quo'.

This is understandable considering what the region has been through in the past. The problem in this instance is that things have changed and the old, recurrent threats from specific individuals has long vanished. It's not so much a rift between many 'senior' members of the region but rather a quite logical reluctance of those senior members to trust anyone who wants to participate in government beyond supporting the existing power structure in terms of the nations that are and have been in power for a long time. It's a lack of trust and a lack of willingness to allow the region to progress beyond a long standing and obsolete paradigm. That particular paradigm involves perpetuating a select group of nations who believe that they have the best interests of the region in mind.

All things said, that select group or 'Power Elite' I have no doubt has the region's best interest in mind, but their one flaw is that they equate that with maintaining power in the region and excluding anyone not in that elite group. The problem with that whole paradigm is that it never lets anyone into power that doesn't keep the same group of nations in power. This results in power for the sake of power and those seeking it don't even realize that it is the very course of action they are taking, and which results in power struggles that make The North Pacific easy prey for outside influences.

Now, in answer to your question, the way to repair this rift is to show those 'senior' nations that they can indeed share power and allow others to become involved at higher power levels. In fact, 'senior' nations, as you put it, should encourage newer nations and other nations that otherwise do not get involves, or nations that they do not permit to get involved, to get involved.

Essentially, an inclusive method of participation prevents nations that are excluded from the process from being disenfranchised and thus forced to engage the system by counter-productive means. In order to obtain unity, you have to unify, and that means to be inclusive of all elements including those elements you may disagree with. Common ground is the key and here, I think the common ground that unifies the region is democracy, our general recognized freedoms and the means to expand those freedoms, and regional security without sacrificing any of those freedoms or restricting participation by new nations seeking to get involved in governing the regions and hence governing themselves. One of the principles I promote is 'government by consent of the governed'. This means that the right to govern emanates from the governed, not the government. Rights 'predate' government. Governments are delegated authority and are not the source of authority.

With a basis in true democratic government, the right of the governed to be governed by their own consent, rights emanating from the governed, and promoting the will of the citizens of this region to participate in their own government in an all-inclusive fashion, a wide spectrum of people with multiple opinions and points of view can be accommodated. Conflict is reduced and the struggle for power is reduced as a motivating force because there is actually a chance to participate and obtain power - with the understanding that holding power is transient and a function of the will of the citizens of this region.

If people are given the chance to participate in a meaningful fashion without having to do so with the caveat that they must do so under the guidance of a select few nations always in control they will participate in a positive fashion instead of working against the common goals of the region - stability without stagnation, transition of power without revolution, and security from invasion without sacrificing civil liberties.

We can't 'live' forever in this region or in NationStates so it is up to us to guide future generation of nations in this region rather than to constrain them with a set of rules that may be becoming obsolete and out of step with a changing world.

Certain principles of government are carved in stone but they way to promote and preserve those principles isn't.

I thank you for your response.

In my opinion however, distrust is not only directed at new people wanting to get involved in the government, but just as much at each other. The founding of the progressive party for instance, was quickly declared a security threat by the delegate, despite its leader being a long serving member of the Security Council. The break down of communication between the Delegate and the Security Council in the past term did quite a bit of damage to the stability of the government. I hope if elected, despite you disliking the Security Council, that you maintain a clear and open dialogue with them, in the Regions interests.

I thank you again for your response. Good luck in the election.

Sorry, one further question: What is your stance on the North Pacific Army? Would you seek for it to be disbanded or continued under your delegacy?

Roman,

Whilst I appreciate - and largely don't disagree with - your statement of principles, the campaign needs to be, must be, more than that.

Policy proscriptions, plans of your vision of what you will actually do as Delegate. The last few election cycles seems to have missed these out in favour of generalised platitudes and warm fuzziness as in your opening post.

Consitutional reform is needed, and much of what you say is important and should be addressed but that is only half the picture. For the region to get back on its feet it also needs a direction, something to aim for to inspire and promote activity.

So, what are you actually going to do if elected Delegate?

mcmasterdonia:
Sorry, one further question: What is your stance on the North Pacific Army? Would you seek for it to be disbanded or continued under your delegacy?
I echo this. What would your vision for the Army be?

peoples empire:

My question: If elected would your Delegacy differ in terms of leadership from delegates in the past, and if so how?

My Delegacy will be quite different insofar as I will present the role of the Delegate as a servant of the people of The North Pacific. I will also be active in reminding all members of government that they too are servants of the people of whom they represent and act on behalf.

I will take a larger role of actively engaging the citizens and residents of this region and work to get their active participation, to retain more nations in the region, and to do my best to make The North Pacific the best region to live in.

As Delegate, there will be a priority placed upon openness and transparency and the Delegate will be accessible to everyone in the government and region and as such, take a proactive role in the capacity of the chief executive of the government.

As Delegate, I will actually endeavor to lead not be a simple ‘place keeper’ by performing my constitutional duties and working to make this region the most active and progressive region it can possibly be.

I will also actively promote reform where it is advisable and under the advise of the citizens of the region and always be open to new ideas and always listen to the opinions and advise of others, especially those with whom I may not always agree.

I intend to be a lively and active Delegate and restrained in any use of my delegated authority or powers and to promote this region actively so that our population grows and new nations are encouraged to remain in the region by actively seeking their participation.

I also promise not to be boring.

mcmasterdonia:

I thank you for your response.

In my opinion however, distrust is not only directed at new people wanting to get involved in the government, but just as much at each other. The founding of the progressive party for instance, was quickly declared a security threat by the delegate, despite its leader being a long serving member of the Security Council. The break down of communication between the Delegate and the Security Council in the past term did quite a bit of damage to the stability of the government. I hope if elected, despite you disliking the Security Council, that you maintain a clear and open dialogue with them, in the Regions interests.

I thank you again for your response. Good luck in the election.

Given the history of The North Pacific as a sweeping generality, distrust in new people and of others in government has always been endemic. The problem is that it should be rational caution and not distrust. Caution is logical; distrust as a paradigm is irrational and leads to irrational and illogical, and, destructive policies and actions in general.

On specific illustration you give in your question pertaining to the Security Council and its declaration of the Progressive Party as a “security threat to the region” illustrates just how pathological the distrust has become.

First off, let me say that I have no issue with the Security Council as an institution. It serves a very important set of functions. What I do hold issue with is the fact that certain members of the Security Council have used their authority, as it were, as a political tool which is a dangerous practice and a practice that is beyond the scope of their authority.

For instance, take the issue involving the Security Council declaring the Progressive Party a “security threat to the region”. Or even for that matter, declaring an individual as being the same without so much as a legitimate explanation other than ‘because we say so, shut up, sit down and don’t make waves’. See what’s wrong with that entire attitude and action on the part of the SC?

With a simple, unqualified declaration that an entire class of individuals, such as a political party, or an unqualified declaration of the same about an individual, the SC, an unelected body, takes a political action because they are ‘suspicious’ of an idea or political position. This practice of the SC being reduced to a political tool for the preservation of an agenda of sorts is not what the SC was intended to accomplish. It also sends the wrong message to the region and that message is: “think like we do, do as we do, don’t question our authority to make political statements beyond the scope of our delegated powers or you will be declared a ‘Security Threat’.

Such actions by the SC are also viewed by anyone taking the time to think about it as a means to suppress any political opposition and change that might compromise a power elite. The sad part is that I don’t think certain members of the SC even understand the implications of such actions on their part.

When an elite, unelected, self regulating group and dictate the political life of the region and government by declaring without any qualification that a political party, individual or idea is a ‘threat to regional security’, such a governmental body has become nothing more than a Star Chamber. It’s an Orwellian situation, or potentially so, at best and tantamount to a shadow government at best.

Again, let me reiterate that I have no problem with the institution of the Security Council. What I do have a problem with is that its decisions have been used for political purposes that have absolutely nothing to do with regional security. Should the Security Council have the authority to be gatekeepers as to who gets to participate and then act in a way to slander entire classes of people or individuals by declaring them ‘security threats’ for their ideas and beliefs? Of course not. It flies in the face of everything this regions is supposed to stand for and defies due process, trials by juries and is perceived as a dictatorial action designed to suppress any political opposition to the extant nations in power. It also short-circuits the whole constitutional, legal and political process.

Now, as Delegate, I will treat the Security Council as a ‘quasi-military’ defense organization that keeps an eye on real security threats to the region such as invaders, usurpers or anyone who wished to violate the Constitution or legal system in order to seize control of the region by either overthrowing the government by ‘violence of action’ or by unseating an elected Delegate by means not provided for in the Constitution or Legal Code.

The relationship between the Delegate and Security Council should be extremely close and open. The SC should provide regular reports concerning security threats to the region, obtain and disseminate intelligence to the Delegate and Army of The North Pacific, and not make any political determinations or act in a way that reduces the SC to the role of a Star Chamber or gatekeeper of who should be allowed to participate in the political life of this region.

Remember, while the Security Council can make any number of decisions for any number of reason but it is the Delegate that actually has to ‘pull the trigger’ on a security threat in the region. This is a horrendous responsibility that should never be taken lightly nor done for the sole purpose of eliminating political opposition that in no way threatens the overthrow of the government or lawfully elected Delegate.

Back to the distrust issue -

The old adage of ‘the greater the risk, the greater the rewards...or loss’ applies. If we never take risks, we will never make any progress. Distrust as an operational paradigm only results in stagnation, reduced civil liberties and freedom and a government that overthrows itself by promoting its own decay by stamping out any talent or ability by denying participation except for a very small elite.

One of the principles of security and stability in any government is not to stamp out opposition and deny them access to the system of government but to be inclusive. In terms of Realpolitik, if you are dealing with radicals and revolutionaries that may indeed become a real security threat, you do everything you can to bring them into the system to participate within the system, you do not exclude them. If you exclude dissatisfied elements you radicalize them and they will eventually find ways to participate outside of the system, which is exactly what you don’t want to happen.

You have to have a certain amount of faith in the general population that they will make the right decisions in a democratic system. If a government or section of the government lacks that faith and instead distrusts everyone else you end up with a government that is a master and not a servant of the people they represent and from which they receive their delegated authority in the first place.

As Delegate, my policies will be governed by the Constitution, Legal Code and an overall spirit of having faith in the citizens of this region to do the right thing and determine what they see fit as best for their general welfare.

mcmasterdonia:

Ator People:

I echo this. What would your vision for the Army be?

I would like to see The North Pacific Army flourish again. In fact, I would like to see it as strong as it was in past times and be the strongest military organization that NationStates has ever seen. There are a number of successful models to use as a base for organization and strategic/tactical policies. We know what works, and we know what doesn’t.

If other regions in the past have done it successfully, there is no reason that we cannot do it bigger and better if we put our minds to it.

I am a firm believer in having a strong military to defend the region and the region’s interests and allies and without taking the role of an aggressor.

I would also like to see an active, well measured and regulated joint program of intelligence gathering on the part of the Army and the Security Council to keep the proper government officials informed and up to date on not only threats to the region but everything else that is going on that may be relevant. This intelligence acquisition program will be conducted with respect for the civil liberties of citizens and residents of this region.

Haor Chall:

Roman,

Whilst I appreciate - and largely don't disagree with - your statement of principles, the campaign needs to be, must be, more than that.

Policy proscriptions, plans of your vision of what you will actually do as Delegate. The last few election cycles seems to have missed these out in favour of generalised platitudes and warm fuzziness as in your opening post.

Constitutional reform is needed, and much of what you say is important and should be addressed but that is only half the picture. For the region to get back on its feet it also needs a direction, something to aim for to inspire and promote activity.

So, what are you actually going to do if elected Delegate?

Some of the specific plans I have in the queue are:

My first program is to keep applying pressure in the right places to assure that any and all programs (new or existing) continue in the most vigorous fashion as practicable. That means I intend to make sure that good ideas get implemented and keep on being implemented instead of letting them fizzle out after the initial ‘enthusiasm’ wears off.

Put in place a program to retain new nations in the region by actively engaging them to participate. This will be properly placed under the heading of “Communications” and “Public Relations”. Every tool available should be used, and often. A constant presence of the Delegate and other government officials on the RMB is a must. We must also work to get the participation of the general residents who don’t participate. This is where we have to come up with creative ideas that attract attention and keep that attention.

Rebuild the Army of The North Pacific.

Rebuild out intelligence gathering and analysis capability and to use every tool we have available to that end. This will involve the technical capabilities of members of the Security Council and others who are willing to do this kind of work. We need an integrated system in which the Security Council, the military and the Delegate/Vice Delegate are always informed and advised.

Create a cohesive foreign policy and actively engage other regions and to promote our regional interests everywhere we can. This will be accomplished by creating a presence on other region’s forums by the appointment of ‘Foreign Ministers At Large’ who will actively engage other regions. This will include a program of ‘foreign assistance’ in which we help other regions get their act together.

Constitutional and Legal Reform. We all know that this is a contentious and sticky subject, but it must be addressed sooner or later. The primary goal of this should be to straighten out and simplify the unnecessarily complex points of the Constitution.

Establish by constitutional amendment or legislation a means to create a substantial precedent for tort, civil and criminal law. This would be a system of “Common Law” in which if someone is the victim of damage (or alleged damage) and there isn’t a specific law on the books to cover it, that damage (tort) can be resolved legally instead of letting it end in acrimony and the other crap that goes along with it. Essentially, if someone thinks they are wronged and received damage they can seek recourse to the courts to rectify the matter. We have no law, per se, to cover defamation of character, slander, libel and the like, yet they are moral offenses that cause damage. There is no reason why there should be no recompense for that damage to reputation simply because of the lack of a specific law. This would essentially be the same system that exists under (pardon the RL reference) English Constitutional Law in which the body of law becomes part of the Constitution in terms of Tort action.

Increase the role of the Delegate and Vice Delegate to fill in certain other capacities in government when needed and only on approval of the Regional Assembly on a temporary basis. That is, if there is a function of government or a specific program that is failing or dysfunctional, the RA can request that the Delegate, Vice Delegate or anyone else that they see fit to give that failing program a good goose in the arse to get it going.

Increase the level of communication between the Security Council and Delegate/Vice Delegate.

Increase our involvement in the World Assembly by working to introduce new legislation in the WA of our own construction. This is good public relations and keeps our region ‘in the news’ on a world-wide basis, so to speak.

Tie up all the loose ends in the Courts - that means getting trials done with and disposing of trials that have just gone on for too long by forcing their resolution through the application of every legal means possible.

As an addition of the Judicial Branch, I would request the RA to create a ‘Conflict Resolution’ program in which certain civil or criminal cases could be resolved without it resulting in unending trials and clutter. A judge would preside over the parties to find a solution to a given problem that suits all parties before it goes to a trial. Sort of a ‘Pre Trial Intervention” system for minor offenses or civil issues.

There are also a number of other reforms and programs that can be listed but I don’t want to bite off more than we can chew at this time.

As such, as Delegate, I want to create a program that is essentially a ‘direct line’ to the Delegate which is sort of a ‘help desk’ where people can be pointed to resolutions to any problems or questions they may have.

@ mcmasterdonia - you're welcome.

Namyeknom:
Gigaton Delegacy Plans
And what are you planning to do in the second half of your term? :lol:
Where is that? Did I actually say that? :lol:

Talk about a typographical error. :P

But it does have a nice ring to it!

The Gigaton Delegacy - Blasting The North Pacific into #1 in the World! :clap:

I actually like that concept.

Roman, you've been bashing the SC for weeks now, so I went back and read the threads pertaining to your application, and I have to say I would have voted to accept you. I may disagree with some of your wackier notions, but I know that whenever TNP has been in crisis, you have ALWAYS fought hard as a true blue patriot.

Best of luck in your campaign.

Thank you.

One of the reasons I have been giving the SC a good and well deserved whacking is because of the culture of distrust bordering on paranoia that has become so evident and recognized by a good number of people.

Having known you for a number of years, I believe your membership in the SC will help eliminate and remove that culture of distrust.

As for my whacky notions, the SC was one of them from back in the Pixidance era as an outgrowth of "Operation Influence Buster" (August 2006). ;)

The initial idea of having a specific order of succession as a tool to ward off an invasion (by 'rotating' Delegates as their influence is expended in repelling invasions) is the best concept of all. But it should be expanded in terms of the numbers of nations involved. The more nations we have that can be called up in a defensive action, the better off we are. But the SC should not function as a 'gate-keeper' or as a pronouncer of political statements for reasons I detailed earlier. This is why I say the 'culture of distrust' has to go.

Imagine how impossible this region would be to invade and how immune to rogue Delegates it would be if we had a core of at least 20 or 30 influential nations with 200+ endorsements each and a program in place to assure that the Delegate has at least 400+ endorsements at any given time.

Such a program would dovetail into my overall defense policy which will promote, as I noted earlier, rebuilding the NPA. It will also go above and beyond by making it the most powerful defense organization in NationStates and will also be attractive enough to encourage recruits to join which, in turn will help attract nations to this region and for new nations to remain in this region.

I also want to rebuild our intelligence capabilities so that we know about any potential invasions or other similar threats long before those threats ever materialize. This is basically a revival of the NPIA (North Pacific Intelligence Agency) which will be directly responsible to and report to the Delegate, Vice Delegate, The Security Council and the commander of the Army of The North Pacific.

In the questions I answered earlier, I detailed a comprehensive plan to accomplish defense and other issues.

If elected, they motivating force behind my Delegacy will be well organized and well planned programs of action based upon rational and logical consensus of those involved in the various programs.

Romanoffia:
Imagine how impossible this region would be to invade and how immune to rogue Delegates it would be if we had a core of at least 20 or 30 influential nations with 200+ endorsements each and a program in place to assure that the Delegate has at least 400+ endorsements at any given time.

The NPA has been considering adopting some sort of National Guard. That way we could get the involvement of people into our forces, who would for instance never drop their WA status under any circumstance. It would also be effective for what you have suggested.

I am not convinced however that a program could be put in place to ensure the delegate has more than 400+ endorsements. Mainly because its based on who respons to the endotarting, even if we telegram people asking for them to endorse the delegate, it does not mean they will.

Even though I don't agree with you on anything, I prefer someone like you who has solid plans (even if i disagree with a small amount of them) than someone who has no plans or just tells us what we want to hear. The election is going to be a tough fight, best of luck.

You have talked quite a bit about "Rebuilding" the NPA which the prior delegate (whomever that awesome guy might be) had revived, however, you have not stated specifically what direction your rebuild of the NPA would be geared towards.

To put it simply, what do you plan to do about the so-called "Raider/Defender Issue"?

Blue Wolf II:
You have talked quite a bit about "Rebuilding" the NPA which the prior delegate (whomever that awesome guy might be) had revived, however, you have not stated specifically what direction your rebuild of the NPA would be geared towards.

To put it simply, what do you plan to do about the so-called "Raider/Defender Issue"?

You, do, of course, get credit for bringing the NPA back into existance. :clap:

I specifically mentioned that I would take the NPA in the direction of becoming the ultimate defensive military force that NationStates has ever seen. Let me add to that there are a number of military paradigms for us to emulate and improve upon. We should also revive the 'War Zone' training method and engage other regions to participate in those 'War Zone' games. That way, instead of practicing with our own forces against our own forces, we can invite other regions to participate - and this serves a practical function in terms of getting a good look at how other regions use their military. This leads directly into this:

The Defender/Raider issue is an old one that hasn't really been discussed by many (especially those running for political office) out of fear of transgressing in the Political Correctness department. But that never stopped me. ;)

While I do not believe in initiating force against others unless it is absolutely necessary in defense of the Region I generally prefer using military force when first attacked.

That said, The Defender/Raider issue is actually different sides of the same coin when viewed in purely tactical or strategic terms. In previous conflicts I suggested offensive actions not unlike raiding and destabilizing a region that has attacked us or otherwise supported a rogue or usurper Delegate.

Defending our region by raiding an invader's region is fair game, IMHO, but for some odd reason, the concept of using raider tactics doesn't sit well with some people. When confronting an aggressor who has invaded our region or is actively supporting an invasion or rogue Delegate, raiding such a region attacking us is a very legitimate response and is very effective because it causes the invaders to spread out their forces on two fronts with very little expense on our part. A very economical strategy.

What it boils down to, is that Defending and Raiding are both militarily sound elements of any military action and can both serve the exact same purpose which is to render an enemy incapable of or unwilling to continue the fight.

As a clarification, I obviously do not thing we should go around raiding just for the sake of raiding. Raiding just for the fun of it is not only impolite as an act but it is also a supreme act of bad taste. But this is true of any unjustified military action, not just raiding.

I do think that raider tactics and strategies are sound and serve the same function as cavalry - which is to disrupt an enemy's ability to function. And this is were raiders, properly applied and in a disciplined fashion and only as part of a defensive action in which we are the victims of aggression.

While I have a preference for diplomacy over military force I have no problem with responding to invaders, usurpers, rogues, their home regions and/or the home regions of those who have entered our region for mischievously illegal purposes and neutralizing them should they not listen to reason.

Those of you who have known me for a long time know my distaste for using force unless absolutely necessary. I prefer diplomacy and if possible a more pacifist approach. But if justified and necessary, for the security and preservation of the region, I believe in prosecuting a war until an enemy is utterly defeated if possible, not just removed from the region.

And as such, raiders do have a place in our military paradigm if properly deployed in actions that are justified.

As a clarification, I obviously do not thing we should go around raiding just for the sake of raiding. Raiding just for the fun of it is not only impolite as an act but it is also a supreme act of bad taste. But this is true of any unjustified military action, not just raiding.

That being said, do you believe in Defending for the sake of Defending as the NPA in the past did?

Blue Wolf II:

That being said, do you believe in Defending for the sake of Defending as the NPA in the past did?
I knew you were going to follow up with that one.

Defending for the sake of defending has it's pitfalls, especially when the conflict doesn't involve one of our allies or is something that doesn't affect us and may only serve to draw us into a larger conflict.

So, I would say that defending for the sake of defending is not a sound strategy or paradigm. We defend ourselves and our allies not random regions who might not be in the right.

Put in simple terms, I don't think we should be the 'Policeman of The World', especially in brush-fire conflicts in which both or neither side is correct.

Distilling the Military Paradigm I propose down into a few words, I believe in peace through superior firepower. If we have the best military organization in NationStates, no one will screw with us if they are smart. I also believe that if we are attacked, we should not only shove the invaders, usurpers or rogues from the region but also nail their home regions with our own units that have been trained in raider tactics to eliminate their base of operations and render them incapable of continuing the fight.

Sort of a be nice to everyone but hit back at anyone who invades us or otherwise tries to take over the region and do so will all possible vigor.

Make love, not war but be prepared for both.

Blue Wolf II:
Si vis pacem, para bellum?
Ah, essentially a paraphrase of something said in Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus's "De Re Militari." (Epitoma de re militari, Epitoma institutorum rei militaris). A classic treatise on military affairs.

Exactly.

In pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello. (Which I believe comes from Horace, IIRC) ;)

Or, in a more humorous vein -

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc (correct in grammar, and a humorous reference to the "Adams Family" motto.). :D

Hmmm, ^ all greek to me. :P

Establish by constitutional amendment or legislation a means to create a substantial precedent for tort, civil and criminal law. This would be a system of “Common Law” in which if someone is the victim of damage (or alleged damage) and there isn’t a specific law on the books to cover it, that damage (tort) can be resolved legally instead of letting it end in acrimony and the other crap that goes along with it. Essentially, if someone thinks they are wronged and received damage they can seek recourse to the courts to rectify the matter. We have no law, per se, to cover defamation of character, slander, libel and the like, yet they are moral offenses that cause damage. There is no reason why there should be no recompense for that damage to reputation simply because of the lack of a specific law. This would essentially be the same system that exists under (pardon the RL reference) English Constitutional Law in which the body of law becomes part of the Constitution in terms of Tort action.

How do you see this working? On of the problems I've always had with laws in this game is the restricted option for punishments (banning from government/RA/region cover most of what you can do) all of which are pretty severe. If you're wanting to introduce 'soft' crimes for want of a better term, what 'soft' punishments / recompenses do you envisage going along with them?

Make 'em play truth or dare? Have their next 20 posts in iambic pentameter? Set up stocks in a "heckling thread" open for a specified period or "sentence"... Sorry, not my question to answer, but I'm sure Roman could come up with some inventive forms of online torture.

Namyeknom:
Hmmm, ^ all greek to me. :P

How do you see this working? On of the problems I've always had with laws in this game is the restricted option for punishments (banning from government/RA/region cover most of what you can do) all of which are pretty severe. If you're wanting to introduce 'soft' crimes for want of a better term, what 'soft' punishments / recompenses do you envisage going along with them?
I'm not really talking about 'soft crimes' - slander and libel are by definition criminal. But the issues of soft crimes is an interesting one to bring up and I guess such a delineation between 'hard' crimes (such as attempting to overthrow the government or a Delegate going rogue, etc.) and soft crimes (Such as Mr. X made a statement that is slanderous or libelous by definition) that are part of a common law system (which deals with law and custom rather than purely statute, and in which the body of the law (jurisprudence). see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law to see what exactly I mean by common law), which has more to do with previous court cases being cited as precedent as well as rules of thumb, and specifically with actions on the part of one person that causes definable damage or attempts to cause such to another (Tort Law).

Essentially, an application of Corpus Juris Civilis which is uncodified law (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_Juris_Civilis) in addition to the existing legal code and in compliance with civil rights as detailed by the Constitution and related documents).

It's not all that complicated of a concept and it allows for recourse to the law instead of disqualifying a claim out of hand because it doesn't exactly conform to the law.

An example would be that if we have no specific law making 'fraud' illegal as a blanket offense except in very specific offenses detailed specifically in the legal code or Constitution except in very narrow instances, and 'fraud' being a part of a specific offense (like election fraud), then under Common Law principles and Corpus Juris Civilis (the body of civil law) "fraud" can be extended to include any action that is 'fraudulent' in terms of Tort Law (those actions designed to cause someone or something damage).

Another example might be concerning a law that specifically makes it illegal to send out "unendorsement telegrams' to nations in the region with the intent of overthrowing a duly elected Delegate and thus undermine the security of the region.

Under our current legal system paradigm, if someone were to send out a mass TG telling everyone to unendorse a Delegate and endorse another nation instead, then that would be considered 'seditious' at best.

But, if someone were to specifically say, "The Delegate committed treason by (fill in the blank)! Don't Endorse Him", that mass TG would not specifically fall under the law because it neither tells people to unendorse the Delegate nor is the false accusation technically an actionable offense because Fraud in the form of Slander or Libel is not specifically an offense in the legal code.

Common Law/Body of Civil Justice based systems use basic principles expressed in one law and court decisions (including the line of logic to extend the principle behind a specific law) to cases that do not specifically fall under a very narrow item in the legal code.

Another very interesting example illustrating these Common Law Principles is the right to free speech detailed in our governing documents. We have free speech but 'free speech' is not defined. Should free speech include yelling 'fire' in crowded theater, so to speak? Such a similar act would not be a prosecutable offense under our current system because there is no definition of 'free speech' because there is a customary definition that is used to define it but not a legal definition to be found anywhere in TNP code.

See what I'm driving at?

I too have a problem with the restricted option for punishments for clear and obvious offenses. And this is where forum administration overlaps with TNP government and legal codes. The existing punishments are too severe on some points and totally unenforceable in other instances.

Which brings up what GBM said:

Make 'em play truth or dare? Have their next 20 posts in iambic pentameter? Set up stocks in a "heckling thread" open for a specified period or "sentence"... Sorry, not my question to answer, but I'm sure Roman could come up with some inventive forms of online torture.

An actually interesting idea. :lol:

But as a joke, I like stocks in a heckling thread. Perhaps a 'virtual' pillory? Could be run like a poll - you get a multiple choice (and as many as you want as often as you want) of virtual vegetable and other kitchen midden material to chose to throw at the offender. :lol:

We could set up a sub-forum and give it a title like "Great Bights Mum's Brig" and give it a pirate theme just to make it more entertaining, perhaps?

Yeah, it's a whacky idea and it might not be effective, but would be entertaining. :P

Of course I'm kidding around. ;)

John_Waller_in_pillory.JPG

There are those of us of the Flemingovian faith who feel that the demolition of our Temple and its rebuilding in the “role play” section of Port Thel was a deliberate insult to our sincerely held faith. Without commenting on that particular action, where on the forum do you feel a Temple would be appropriate?

flemingovia:
There are those of us of the Flemingovian faith who feel that the demolition of our Temple and its rebuilding in the “role play” section of Port Thel was a deliberate insult to our sincerely held faith. Without commenting on that particular action, where on the forum do you feel a Temple would be appropriate?

That’s an interesting question. There should be a way of integrating ‘role play’ into the mainstream of the forum.

Actually, this pops into mind, I just thought of a rather fun idea that would deal with this particular issue and perhaps make things a little more interesting.

How about instead of a ‘Role Play’ forum we rename it something like “The Streets of Magicality City”. Here’s my idea:

We create a map of Magicality City and divide the city into different ‘districts’ that have corresponding sections of that forum section for each section of the city. That is, various residential sections, a market/commercial district, a waterfront district (by the Docks, of course), a religious district and so forth, all with posting of threads in and relevant to those districts. We could even create a ‘municipal government’ within that forum that governs Magicality City, and separate from the regional government. The map of the city can be updated from time to time to add new districts and to reflect various changes. Great Bights Mum can even have her own pub. :toast:

The idea is to create a place on the forum that creates a ‘social life’ where people can interact within the context of The North Pacific as a place to live, and a hub of activity that gets more people involved. Could you imagine the level of activity if we marketed this right to the residents of The North Pacific who otherwise might not want to participate in the government but want an active and relevant part of the forum designed simply for fun and entertainment?

Think about it. Popping into Great Bights Mum’s pub “Anne Bonny’s Revenge” (where talking like a pirate is mandatory and all others will get deep-eight-sixed or keelhauled) to blow off some steam and quaffing down a few scuppers of some famous TNP Rum? The possibilities would be endless as would be the potential for entertainment. We could create an entire ‘World’ that is uniquely the North Pacific.

And it would be a draw to the region for visitors and potential new residents and citizens.

And, of course, there could also be a Temple of The Flemingovia God and various temples of The Smaller Gods (waits to see if anyone gets this reference :w00t: )

Govindia:
What would you do differently from Blue Wolf, if anything?

Well, for one, I’d be around and active as delegate and wouldn’t go poofity for extended periods of time or at all for that matter. I’d tend to be open about what I would do by keeping everyone informed about as much as possible all of the time.

I would also take seriously any suggestions or advise from anyone who asks or offers.

My specific goal is to draw more people to participate in the forum and all it has to offer from government to everything else that we have to offer in the region and on the forum. Essentially, this means working to make the regional forum something other than a forum for government for government’s sake and to create a place where people want to ‘reside’ and participate at any and all levels. And then actually accomplish it.

Blue Wolf II:
Ban Govindia perhaps? :P

Now, now. I wouldn’t ban anyone unless absolutely required to do as proscribed by law.

Along the same lines, someone did message me suggesting that I make Blue Wolf II the "Official Pillory Tester". :fish:

I really like the forum idea, Roman :)

This is going to be a tough election, and the candidates aren't making it an easy choice for voters! thats a good thing but:)

OK, then it's Minster of Cheese. Your check is in the mail. :kiss: :P :lol:

And if elected, I will personally test all pillories and you get to throw the first pie. ;)

mcmasterdonia:
I really like the forum idea, Roman :)

This is going to be a tough election, and the candidates aren't making it an easy choice for voters! thats a good thing but:)

Thanks.

The idea is to create a slate of candidates that make making a choice something that requires some serious thought.

My approach is to primarily concentrate on making The North Pacific a secure place where people want to come and participate.

I'm aiming at at least doubling the number of active participants on the forum and double the population of TNP by retaining newly founded nations (by directly engaging them) and attracting existing nations to the region and forum.

peoples empire:
One more question: Why should voters vote for you For Delegate instead of Haor Chall?
That's a fair question. It's a somewhat difficult question to answer.

HC and I appear to be on the same page on a lot of issues and were I someone else (meaning an impartial observer taking part in the elections) it would be a tough choice to make. But tough choices are generally better choices because any election should depend upon having an electorate that has to think about why they are voting for one candidate or another. It has to be more than a simple popularity contest and more of a choice on policies, administrative abilities and any number of other relevant 'intangibles'. Both of us have long experience in TNP and at many levels and both of us have been deeply involved in government and the political life of The North Pacific.

The experience levels and diversity of experience is, however, in my favor. Over the years I have been in the Defense Ministry, a General in the Army of The North Pacific, Minister of Communications a couple of times, Speaker of the House, A Justice with the Court, and officer with the North Pacific Intelligence Agency, Minister of Defense, in the cabinet in several positions a number of times over the years, and have been actively involved foreign policy as it relates to defense issues.

This last point I mention involves the incident a while back when Gatesville entered The North Pacific to support a rogue Delegate. Military defense of the region simply did not work in removing the rogue Delegate (largely because the NPA had been allowed to atrophy and essentially vanish by that time).

Despite having been told by any number of the people in the government that reasoning with Gates would not work, and as not being a member of the government, reasoning with Gates would not work because it was commonly viewed that Gates could not be reasoned with.

Despite the nay-saying of everyone, I decided to have a go at it and contact gates directly, spoke with him and convinced him that removing Gatesville support of the rogue Delegate was the proper and honorable thing to do. After two days of one-on-one discussion, Gates agreed with the weight of my arguments and withdrew Gatesville forces from the region. A couple of individuals tried to claim credit for this and Gates made a statement on the regional forum to remove all doubt that my actions were exclusively the reason Gatesville withdrew from the region.

One of the reasons why I feel that I make the better candidate for Delegate is that would use a different approach than any other Delegate has used in the past. That difference is think in detail about exactly what needs to be accomplished, how to accomplish it, and to find other legitimate means to do things when standard run of the mill courses of actions don't work.

One of my general attributes in foreign policy and military actions is a propensity to look at a given situation in which there is conflict and avoid the very strategies and tactics that I know are either inefficient or ineffective. And I am not afraid of trying new things when old things don't work. I am also not afraid of using approaches that are designed to thoroughly confound invaders, etc., with strategies they have never seen before.

In all affairs, one of my approaches is to 'get into the minds' of others and understand what they are thinking, what they are doing, why they are doing it and how to deal with what they are doing.

My approach as Delegate will be to take a more hands-on approach in the executive sense as well as the practical sense. In the past I have always been more interested in getting things done as simply and quickly as possible for the government as an active agent of the government.

Back in the Treville era, I worked hand in hand with Treville to get what needed to be accomplished done, often times at great personal sacrifice in a number of instances. My over-arching principle of action is to make things more of a mental process so that unnecessary difficulties can be avoided and to get other people in on finding solutions - in a word, 'unify' people to work towards a common goal for the interest of the region and not personal gain.

As Delegate, The North Pacific will always come first even at my own expense as has always been the case in the past.

And that is why people should take a close look at all the candidates for all positions before casting their votes for the candidate they feel best represents the interests of the region.

And that is why I believe myself to be the best candidate for Delegate.

And, of course, there could also be a Temple of The Flemingovia God and various temples of The Smaller Gods (waits to see if anyone gets this reference )

THis is TNP, not Ankh Morpork.

flemingovia:
And, of course, there could also be a Temple of The Flemingovia God and various temples of The Smaller Gods (waits to see if anyone gets this reference )

THis is TNP, not Ankh Morpork.
LOL! :lol:

No surprise you are the one who got the reference! :clap:

peoples empire:
One more question: Why should voters vote for you For Delegate instead of Haor Chall?
As an addendum to this question I previously answered, I would like to add that I have always resided in The North Pacific as a citizen of the region and my service has been exclusively to this regions without exception. I have seen governments come and go, governmental systems and constitutions come and go and a long parade of other unpleasant episode largely since the beginning.

This gives me a particularly unique point of view in that I have seen what works, what doesn't work and how to make things work to the benefit of The North Pacific. My experience with the NPIA also gave me the opportunity to observe the internal workings of numerous other regions and to understand the motivations of those regions and, in particular, how they function and behave. As a result of this experience, I understand how to avoid conflicts with other regions through diplomacy and how to handle those regions that become adversarial.

As Delegate I will seek direct lines of communication with the Delegates of other regions as well as develop stronger ties to those regions through conventional diplomatic ties with the intent of creating more cooperative and beneficial interactions between The North Pacific and other regions.

Scandigrad:
What is your planned policy for the Ministry of Cheese?
We need to find the relevancy of particular cheeses to certain suitable applications for said cheeses. Of course this would require special environmental studies concerning noxious cheeses and their possible military and law enforcement applications.

So far, a Minister of Cheese would have to appoint assistant ministers to study the noxious effects of the following cheeses in order from less to more stinkiness:

5. Taleggio - This cheese isn't really that offensive but can be used for light crowd control.

4. Epoisses - Deters illegal border crossings and casual incursions from marauding bandits.

3. Pont l'Evêque - A favorite of evil dictators to use to threaten their cowering populations. Semi-lethal, moslty.

2. Limburger - Can be used to force large bodies of soldiers to goose-step into the meat grinder of war. Semi-lethal depending upon what end of the cheese you are on.

1. Stinking Bishop - This stuff is truly lethal. It will remove chrome from ball-hitches at 30 meters, decimate entire armies at up to six kilometers, and properly applied in special applications has been determined by governments around the world as a 'weapon of mass destruction' that needs to be governed by international a Stinking Bishop Non-Proliferation Treaty. It not only attracts flies and vermin but renders them entirely incapacitated at the mere mention of the variety. A rumor has been wafting around The North Pacific that the hint of a threat of opening a tin of Stinking Bishop cheese was how I really got Gatesville to withdraw from the region a couple of years ago. :lol:

Of course, edible cheeses will have to be studied too. Starting with my personal favorite, Stilton. :P

The Ministry of Cheese should also be in charge of maintaining and if possible, enforcing a sense of humor in the region.

I will also push for legislation to introduce a cheese emoticon to the forum:
cheeselv.jpg

Back