A new constitution for TNP

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
in a spirit of dialogue, I humbly present a possible new constitution for TNP:

it is only 306 words long. I am assured that if you vote it in, it is legal:

This constitution replaces all other constitutions and legal codes of the North Pacific. They were too long, too dull and more full of holes than a swiss cheese.

PHILOSOPHICAL BASIS OF THE CONSTIUTION
The regional government shall be structured around the Flemingovian mantra:
THE FLEMINGOVIAN MANTRA: "Flemingovia is always right. I will listen to Flemingovia. I will not ignore Flemingovia's recommendations. Flemingovia is god.”

THE UNALIENABLE RIGHTS
Citizens of TNP (defined as any nation that resides in TNP and/or maintains an account on the forum) have the following inalienable rights:
They have the right to be presumed innocent until Flemingovia decides they are guilty.
They have the right to remain silent. Please, god, remain silent. Please.
They have the right to an attorney. However, they do not have the right to a trial, so what the fuck are you paying one for?
They have the right to be treated equally. Since Flemingovia is omniscient, he cannot treat anyone unfairly. QED.

VOTING RIGHTS.
TNP shall hold firmly to the principle of one man; one vote. TNP declares that Flemingovia is the man and he has the vote.

DELEGATE.
Flemingovia. Obviously. Why ask silly questions?

FORUM ADMIN
Again with the silly questions. Flemingovia. Duh.

REGIONAL ASSEMBLY.
Flemingovia shall graciously permit a regional assembly to exist, with only intermittent smiting, who may petition him (with appropriate sacrificial offerings) when issues concern them.

TRIALS:
Nah. Don’t work. Never have, never will. All judicial decisions will be referred to Flemingovia.

APPEALS.
Why have an appeal when Flemingovia’s decision is manifestly correct?

GOVERNMENT.
Flemingovia shall appoint whatever government he sees fit. Government officials shall all dress in lilac, for obvious reasons.

SUCCESSION:
When Flemingovia gets a bit bored with godding over the region all by himself, he shall send his only begotten son to take over. After all, it worked for Jesus.

See? I am God. I have given Eluvatar the gift of tongues - the ability to post in german.

Why German? My ways are mysterious.

PS. You have to admit, this constitution thread is already more fun that the one currently under debate in the RA. Isn't fun what this game is about? And a theocracy has never been tried in NS before in a feeder.

I did not count TNP at all. Do you think I am such a sad sack that I sit around counting words in a document? I have a man called Bill Gates who counts words for me.

If you have a problem, he will be happy to answer your queries. His address is:

One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-6399
USA

TP (two words) does not have a theocracy. Krull is but a mortal, with mortal failings. He makes no claims to divinity.

Technically it's Steve Ballmer now since only Bill Gates owns the stuff and is no longer CHairman of the Board.

Back on topic, you have to admit that various democratic systems in TNP do not work for a number of reasons:
1. The game code is not built to support democratic government systems. NS is not really a collective political simulation. Those who play it as such will always be working despite the system.
2. the game base is (now) too small for the level of activity that a democratic system requires. The system is either so perfect that it leaves people nothing to discuss or do, or so broken that people get frustrated with it and leave, or coup.
3. Constitutional government is at once too complex and too simple for NS. Democracy requires complex checks and balances and laws covering every eventuality. Fine in Real Life, impossible in NS. So what has been tried is taking Real life constitutional systems and applying them to NS. It doesn't work. Every constitution in NS can be tied into pretzels, if you know how.

That is why no trial in TNP has ever worked. The JAL trial is, essentially, an attempt by an oligarchy to keep out someone they think is undesirable - and using a veneer of legal procedure to do it. our legal system lacks the sophistication to actually work.

Why not just admit it - democracy does not work in NS.

And why not try something that has never really been done in NS before - a fully fledged religious roleplay. Whether it is Flemingovianism or not is immaterial. My constitution is simple enough to be absolutely clear and foolproof.

That clarity allows people to actually get on with building the region, roleplay, OOC, military - all the things we used to be so good at here, before some people decided to mire the region in a stodgy porridge of legislation and governance.

and lo, a prophet arose in the North Pacific, who recognised divinity in the midst of the people. and he pointed and spoke, and those who had ears to hear found that they too recognised that salvation was in their midst.

So it was the Grimalkin became the prophet of the people.

take a look at the rest of this forum and you will see that tnp is desperately in need of a change. The old ways have been tried over and over and over again to revitalize the region.

If a bit of godly roleplay will not do it then tell me - what will? and please dont say "a slightly shorter constitution." The last thing we need is a three month talking shop to end up roughly where we are at the moment.

FALCONKATS:
A potent argument, Falconcats. I am almost persuaded by the logical force of your forensic analysis of the political options open to TNP.

Come, here is your opportunity to convince me and others. Give me your arguments that TNP is working well under the current system, or failing that your opinion as to what the next step for the region should be.

Just saying "no" did not work for Nancy Reagan in her war against drugs, and it will not work here.

I kinda want to take a crack at going thought the load of law and codes in TNP and change a few things just because of this thread. :P

I think I may, just as a joke :shifty:

Some looking at this thread may make the mistake of thinking of it as a joke

This confusion is a common medical condition known as "uttertwattius uppownarsicus gamus modicus sedgicus". but do not worry. It is easily cured.

Think of this as a whole new way of structuring gameplay and promoting roleplay in the region. Think of it as an innovative way of distinguishing our region from the other feeders.

I certainly won't argue the validity of your regional assessment however your alternative seems to have limited appeal. While I'm sure it would be wildly entertaining to you for a couple of days I'm not so sure about the rest of us.

I am slightly insulted that you think it can possibly be less exciting for everyone than the porridge that passes for TNP these days.

NS is a game, and as it stands, the vast arrays of text walls and rules and regulations are not something I would want to play when I get home from my office job.

I agree with the OP.

Edit: As it stands, its dreadfully boring.

The foundations of the Flemingovian temple shook as the heavenly voice of flemingovia spoke from heaven. His voice was not so much heard by the worshippers as felt in their bones as they clamped their hands over their ears, so great was the sound of his voice:

My people, you have found favour in my heart and great is my bounty towards you. When Flemingovianism is accepted by all people, and the new Flemingovian constitution is ratified, then you will be blessed by the system of indulgences. Those posting more than 250 times on the forum shall be blessed with higher PM storage, larger signatures, even special avatars, should such a thing be possible. Those posting more than 1000 times shall be greatly blessed and shall have access to the halls of Elysium, a place of blessing and favour of your god.

All you can smell is the sweet aroma of better times ahead for TNP, if we just get rid of all the things that stodge up the region and put the fun back in.

I say we increase delegate seat from 4 months to 6 months, then to a year, then 2 years, then a lifetime...
Just look at TWP, they are heading there and one day will be a member of the cool feeders club with us at TP :bat:

Actually, this constitution pretty much guaranteed the Flem is delegate for life.. until he pass it to his son.

It will be like North Korea! :D

Felasia:
Actually, this constitution pretty much guaranteed the Flem is delegate for life.. until he pass it to his son.

It will be like North Korea! :D
where our leaders defy UN embargoes with fancy cars, a harem, a frizzy haircut, sunglasses and a Nehru-style jacket?

The irony is that all constitutions tend to start out as simple affairs. Then, they grow in complexity resulting in and caused by government bloat. At the same time the body of laws starts growing. Eventually, the government has so many officials that should there be a lull in participation, the whole thing comes tumbling down and nothing gets accomplished.

Times change as do the conditions that exist in the region, but certain principles of good government remain such as Representative Government, Separation of Powers, Judicial Review, Executive Authority and, perhaps most importantly, Delegated Authority in which the Government governs by the consent of the governed.

But to accomplish those ends requires cooperation and participation which often doesn't occur with any fluid success. Governments stagnate either because of a stale environment in which only a handful of people actually participate, which makes the whole thing look like an Ancient Roman Imperium and Senate and not so much a Democratically governed Republic.

One of the problems I see is that things tend to get bogged down in procedure, which in turns causes a certain level of apathy, which in turn stifles participation. The current Constitution is fine but it needs to be more flexible in terms of permitting the government to run with little or no participation resulting in a generally constipated atmosphere.

In simplest terms, I think we should tweak things around a bit so that things can happen a lot quicker than in previous times. Perhaps rework certain procedures that should one element in the chain of events doesn't act within a certain amount of time that certain things like legislation automatically take effect until the rest of the organization decides to act?

One thing that needs to be done is tidying up the rate at which legal actions take to occur. Given the principle of 'presumed innocent until proved otherwise' and 'right to a speedy trial', I think that there should be a certain amount of time in which the court must act to prosecute cases and for the defendant to respond - thus setting up a default decision should one or the other side default in its legal responsibilities.

strangely, TNP does not guarantee a right to a speedy trial. Anyone who promised that would find their nose grew faster than Pinnochio's.

The Flemingovian constitution cannot be made any longer as it cannot be improved upon. The reason it cannot be improved upon is because it comes directly from god. Look at it again and tell me what in it contains any imperfection?

That is right. It is perfect. It is complete. It is divine. Embrace it.

Back