The North Pacific v. Blue Wolf II

Haor Chall

The Power of the Dark Side
TNP Nation
Haor Chall
THE NORTH PACIFIC V. BLUE WOLF II

The Attorney General Mr Sniffles, representing The North Pacific, has accused the defendant, Blue Wolf II, of treason and sedition as defined under TNP Law 22.

The pre-trial motions have been concluded and the trial will now begin.

Please note, only the Prosecution, Defense and those otherwise directed by the Court are to speak in this thread.

The Prosecution is invited to open its case.

The prosecution has irrefutable evidence that Blue Wolf II engaged in a plot to overthrow the elected government of the North Pacific. Disgracing his history with this region, he has sought to desecrate the institutions all of us have fought so long and hard to pursue some narrowminded agenda for anarchy.

Despite the many democratic and legal opportunites before him, he instead chose a violent and illegal method to pursue his own agenda. By forsaking the oath he swore to participate in this region and for inciting illegal rebellion with reckless disregard for the sacred democratic order we hold dear, we stand here today to prosecute him and to convict him beyond all reasonable doubt.

We await the defense's opening remarks and the opportunity to call our first witness.

Your honor:

My client Blue Wolf II has been subjected to wildly unfair speculation regarding his intentions or lack thereof to overthrow the government of this fine region. We the defense seek to demonstrate the fanciful and jocular nature of Blue Wolf II's "plans." We will then show that he failed to act on any of said "plans" further indicating the jocular nature thereof.

Thank you.

The prosecution calls Former English Colony to the stand and asks that she swears to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

I've been a member of TNP for 5+ years and involved for over 4. I've been elected delegate twice, been a member of the cabinet once or twice and now primarily sit as one of the people with large amounts of influence protecting against takeovers.

The prosecution would like to enter the following as Exhibit A:

Session Start (erastidens@hotmail.com:Evil Wolf): Mon Apr 06 20:04:38 2009 -0700
[20:04:38] Evil Wolf: Hey hey
[20:04:57] Evil Wolf: you around?
[20:07:16] * Evil Wolf buzzes you!
[20:07:24] Evil Wolf: Nope
[20:12:19] *** "Evil Wolf (evilwolfii@hotmail.com/MSN)" signed off at Mon Apr 06 20:12:19 2009.
[20:12:44] rheannon: well that was quick
Session Close (Evil Wolf): Mon Apr 06 20:13:28 2009 -0700
Session Start (erastidens@hotmail.com:Evil Wolf): Mon Apr 06 20:27:08 2009 -0700
[20:27:08] Evil Wolf: I get bored easy
[20:27:11] *** "Evil Wolf (evilwolfii@hotmail.com/MSN)" signed on at Mon Apr 06 20:27:11 2009.
[20:27:20] rheannon: lol
[20:27:48] Evil Wolf: So...ah, I noticed your still in TNP
[20:28:41] Evil Wolf: and you've got a lot of influence, yup, a *lot* of influence
[20:29:05] rheannon: lol
[20:29:07] rheannon: yes
[20:29:20] Evil Wolf: So, mind doing something for me?
[20:30:27] Evil Wolf: Mind if I made you WA delegate so you can "re-set" the region?
[20:30:40] rheannon: lol
[20:30:45] rheannon: I doubt I could do that
[20:30:56] Evil Wolf: You've got plenty of influence
[20:30:58] rheannon: just kicking GBM would eat up a lot of it
[20:31:17] Evil Wolf: Yeah, well, there are others who we can rely on
[20:32:28] Evil Wolf: It would just be nice to see an equal playing field for a short time
[20:33:28] rheannon: how would it be equal
[20:33:59] Evil Wolf: I want some random guy who no one knows with 60 endorsements to wake up one day, fill out his issues, look at the WA page, look at TNP page and then scream OH SHIT! I'M DELEGATE!
[20:34:07] rheannon: LOL
[20:34:11] rheannon: you know that won't happen
[20:34:25] Evil Wolf: Sure it can, we just need your help
[20:34:43] Evil Wolf: We have enough people to simply walk in and make it so
[20:35:12] Evil Wolf: Don't ask where I got them :P
[20:36:18] Evil Wolf: All I can tell you is that Frisbeeteria hates one of their members
[20:37:04] Evil Wolf: "He has an extensive history of illegal scripts, and has been cited in offsite conversations as having utter disdain for site rules. I advise you and your NS friends to avoid him and his site, as things will probably end badly for him and those around him."
[20:37:22] Evil Wolf: Which is totally unfounded, I assure you
[20:37:40] rheannon: oh god
[20:37:42] rheannon: not that idiot
[20:37:58] Evil Wolf: He's actually quite good once you get to know him
[20:38:34] Evil Wolf: and his recruitment program is legal
[20:38:47] Evil Wolf: as legal as Toaster at least :P
[20:39:21] Evil Wolf: In any case, DO IT! :D
[20:39:28] Evil Wolf: We haz menz
[20:39:35] Evil Wolf: u haz influence
[20:40:47] Evil Wolf: You know you want to...and also want to tell Max to move the update back to 1 AM and Sal that we are refounding his region
[20:41:32] Evil Wolf: *pokes*
[20:42:12] rheannon: I don't really have a desire to throw out anyone in TNP
[20:43:01] Evil Wolf: Please? It will revive the entire region. That government has been in place for 5 years. FIVE YEARS! D:
[20:43:07] Evil Wolf: We're as bad as TSP!
[20:43:55] Evil Wolf: This is the only way things can be reset. Coups never work, reform doesn't work, this is the only way and you know it! :D
[20:45:28] Evil Wolf: Help me Erastide, you're my only hope.
[20:48:30] rheannon: my problem is I'm not that fond of leading any kind of revolt either
[20:49:16] Evil Wolf: Its not a revolt. Its a reform
[20:49:32] Evil Wolf: A revolt implies a party which wishes to take over power after all
[20:49:54] rheannon: step 1 would have to be a new forum (ick)
[20:50:12] Evil Wolf: Not your problem
[20:50:24] Evil Wolf: leave it to whoever wins the power struggle
[20:50:41] rheannon: so you want me also to leave?
[20:50:45] Evil Wolf: Yes
[20:51:02] Evil Wolf: or just become not WA delegate after using all your influence
[20:51:58] Evil Wolf: Eh? Eh? :D
[20:52:10] rheannon: don't think so
[20:52:48] Evil Wolf: Then can you leave the region so we can have more influence? :P
[20:53:29] rheannon: no
[20:53:39] Evil Wolf: Please?
[20:53:54] Evil Wolf: See, you've highlighted the problem with influence :P
[20:54:59] Evil Wolf: Just one person who is not even delegate can fowl up every plan in the book
[20:55:48] rheannon: and gives every region the ability to protect itself against upheaval unless from the inside
[20:56:02] Evil Wolf: But this is from the inside!
[20:56:12] rheannon: exactly
[20:56:23] Evil Wolf: Wut?
[20:56:50] rheannon: unless someone on the inside wants revolt it won't happen
[20:57:10] Evil Wolf: But if this is from the inside, as part of the native population, how come we basically still have no hope of winning?
[20:57:33] Evil Wolf: If you went tyrannt tomorrow we would have no hope :P
[20:58:35] rheannon: not true
[20:58:41] Evil Wolf: Do tell
[20:58:45] rheannon: I could make it quite hard
[20:59:00] Evil Wolf: Near impossible then
[20:59:16] Evil Wolf: unless you suddenly didn't log in for a week :P
[21:00:00] Evil Wolf: You can basically eject anyone you want in that region
[21:00:07] Evil Wolf: ban even
[21:00:30] Evil Wolf: Which is why I want you to do this one little thing :P
[21:01:10] rheannon: I'd lose all my influence, which I do some amount of work to maintain
[21:01:58] Evil Wolf: but you'd be re-create game conditions from all the way back when TNP became an official feeder
[21:02:24] Evil Wolf: Think of it Eras, THINK OF IT! :D
[21:03:10] Evil Wolf: Anything could happen. The magic would be back
[21:03:17] rheannon: and make it quite a bit less safe, something I don't like
[21:03:48] Evil Wolf: The game isn't about "safe" its about randomness! That's what made NS great! :D
[21:04:09] Evil Wolf: What do I need to do to get you on board this idea
[21:04:34] rheannon: you're not going to
[21:04:50] Evil Wolf: There must be something
[21:06:05] rheannon: eh
[21:06:10] Evil Wolf: Hm?
[21:07:19] Evil Wolf: Nothing?
[21:07:46] Evil Wolf: What if I got TAO to say it was a great idea? :P
[21:08:02] rheannon: hell no
[21:08:07] Evil Wolf: TAO says its a great idea, by-the-by
[21:08:24] rheannon: uh huh
[21:08:58] Evil Wolf: Well I'm sure he would considering he's sitting in The Cuckoos Egg helping us refound the region
[21:09:21] rheannon: I don't care about TAO's opinion :P
[21:09:31] Evil Wolf: Awww, but he's TAO D:
[21:09:55] Evil Wolf: You're going to make me do this the hard way, aren't you?
[21:10:18] rheannon: sure
[21:10:33] Evil Wolf: Fine, I suppose that would be fun too
[21:10:46] Evil Wolf: But don't blame me for the drama that follows :P

Now FEC, would you say the following piece of evidence is an accurate and unedited account of your discussion with Blue Wolf?

1. Yes, that is the log of the conversation I had with Blue Wolf.

2. rheannon is one of the names I use on instant messaging, yes.

In NationStates, I am also Erastide, hence the erastidens@hotmail.com address.

Could you please state to the Court, what Blue Wolf had wanted to do with you, what his intentions were, and whether you believed him to be serious or joking.

Could you please state to the Court, what Blue Wolf had wanted to do with you,
My understanding was that he would bring in nations to get me enough endos to become delegate, then I would eject Great Bights Mum, as she is the only other nation in the region with more influence than me. He also wanted me to then leave the region.
what his intentions were,
His intentions seemed to be to overthrow the current government in favor of no government or at least one more open to random newcomers.

and whether you believed him to be serious or joking.
I believed him to be pretty serious, given how long the conversation went on.

Thank you.

Firstly I wonder if the 'Evil Wolf' cited in the above chatlog was actually the same player that controls Blue Wolf II or was it an imposter? He certainly has his enemies so I believe this to be within the realm of possibility.

You say, Former English Colony, that you believed your conversation with this 'Evil Wolf' to be serious due to the length of the conversation but I would note that the conversation lasted a mere forty-three (43) minutes. For an online chat this is actually a relatively short period of time is it not? Given his liberal use of smilies especially the tongue toward the second half of the log as well as an assortment of unorthodox spellings such as 'haz' and 'menz' is it truly not possible 'Evil Wolf' was not being entirely serious?

Firstly I wonder if the 'Evil Wolf' cited in the above chatlog was actually the same player that controls Blue Wolf II or was it an imposter?  He certainly has his enemies so I believe this to be within the realm of possibility.
Given that I have had previous dealings with him through that screenname on MSN, I can only assume that it was the same player. If someone else had gained access to his IM account I presume he would have said so.
You say, Former English Colony, that you believed your conversation with this 'Evil Wolf' to be serious due to the length of the conversation but I would note that the conversation lasted a mere forty-three (43) minutes.  For an online chat this is actually a relatively short period of time is it not?  Given his liberal use of smilies especially the tongue toward the second half of the log as well as an assortment of unorthodox spellings such as 'haz' and 'menz' is it truly not possible 'Evil Wolf' was not being entirely serious?
A one on one conversation that lasts a little over half an hour is pretty long by my book. The interpretation of his use of smilies is not something I feel comfortable doing, I tend to use smilies when I'm serious or joking. And given we're on the internet, shortening words isn't that unusual. :P

A one on one conversation that lasts a little over half an hour is pretty long by my book. The interpretation of his use of smilies is not something I feel comfortable doing, I tend to use smilies when I'm serious or joking. And given we're on the internet, shortening words isn't that unusual. :P
"In your book" but perhaps not in my client's book. Certainly not mine in any case.

What we have here is a witness and associated piece of evidence that indicates that my client had some sort of conversation about altering the influence situation in the North Pacific. What we do not have is evidence that my client acted on such conversations or even meant for those conversations to be serious; there is not one iota of evidence other than gut feelings and 'truthiness' to suggest that my client was being any more than fanciful in these conversations.

I thank you for your time, Mizz 'Former English Colony,' if that is who you really are.

The Defense at this time would like to request clarification from the Prosecution as to which charge Exhibit A is intended to prove. Is it treason, sedition, or both?

As I was going to reveal in my redirect, it reveals the motive, intent, and opportunity towards committing, and the very act of comitting all the charges he is accused of. The defence may prefer theatrics and sanctimonious speeches, however I prefer resting on the evidence and the testimony.

Now section one of LAW# 22 states:
Section 1: Treason
A - "Treason" is defined as taking arms or providing material support to a group or region for the purpose of undermining or overthrowing the lawful government of The North Pacific or any of its treatied allied groups and regions as governed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Now how is propositioning another member of the region to usurp the elected Delegate of the North Pacifc, mere weeks before an election; not treason? Is this not undermining the lawful government of the North Pacific?

Treason, pure and simple.

And in an online game as this, is not attempting to convince a high influence member of the North Pacific to become a rogue delegate not the same as attempting to secure loaded weaponry, or "taking up arms?" Is the implied promise of foreign endorsements from invaders not a form of "material support?"

Treason, pure and simple.

And Law#22 states:
Section 3: Sedition
A - "Sedition" is defined as an intentional attempt on the official forums or within the NationStates region "The North Pacific" to incite the Nations of The North Pacific to revolt in a manner not sanctioned by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights

Definition of incite: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/incite
To rouse, stir up or excite.

Now BW would like to believe that it is reform he is inciting. Which if true, then the discussion would clearly be about encouraging Eras to run for Delegate in an election merely two to three weeks away. He does not though, he speaks of rallying foreign endorsements to overthrow the democratically elected government of the North Pacific. He speaks of mass bannings and a violent overthrow clearly opposed by every letter of our Constitution.

Sedition, pure and simple.

Now your honour, with great respect; may I redirect with the witness to counter this preposterous claim of "phantom" Blue Wolfs?

Now FEC, may I ask how long BW has been on your MSN list? Over the course of the years, which e-mail address was given, and how familiar the Evil Wolf alias is to you?

I'd have to say at least 2 years for the MSN list. As I switched computers I don't have easy access to logs of any further back. He's known as Blue Wolf and Evil Wolf and seems to switch between them frequently.

Now is it correct that you have dealt with Blue Wolf while in service to the North Pacific over the past several years? Given the two years with him on your MSN, or more given your past service to this region, did you have any reason to believe that this was not Blue Wolf speaking to you? Did any odd behaviour that did not suit the Blue Wolf arouse any suspicion in you?

I'm sorry for these inane questions, however I did not raise this spectre.

And lastly looking at your MSN list now, what is the name listed for the email address: <evilwolfii@hotmail.com>

Yes, I've been a member of TNP along with BW for the past several years. There was no reason to think it was not the same person I had that conversation with.

Looking at the MSN list currently, he's not on, but the name is "Evil Wolf"

Thank you.

And now not to belabour the point but upon closer inspection, given your recollection of your conversation with Blue Wolf, do you believe that in the transcript provided, Blue Wolf did not break the following oath?

(Emphasis mine:)
Blue Wolf II:
I, Blue Wolf II, as the leader of The North Pacific nation of Blue Wolf II, pledge loyalty to the Constitution, Bill of Rights and Laws of The North Pacific Region, and to act as a responsible member of its society. I understand that if my Nation leaves The North Pacific region for reasons other than for official government business, that I may be stripped of my right to vote and required to reapply. I pledge to only register one Nation to vote in The North Pacific. I understand that my registration of, or attempt to register, multiple Nations to vote in The North Pacific shall warrant the summary withdrawal of my right to vote from all my Nations, past, present, and future, as well as possible expulsion from the Region. I further understand that if any nation under my control directly wages war against the North Pacific, or allies themselves with a region waging war, declared or not, against the North Pacific, this shall warrant the summary withdrawal of my right to vote from all my Nations, past, present, and future, as well as possible expulsion from the Region. In this manner, I petition the Speaker of The Regional Assembly of The North Pacific region for renewal of membership in the Regional Assembly.

For greater clarity, did nothing in that conversation with BW in exhibit A, display disloyalty to the Constitution, the Bill of Rights,and the Laws of the North Pacific Region? Did nothing in that conversation, detailed in exhibit A suggest that he was in any way taking up arms against the democratically elected government of the North Pacific?

I believed that his intent was to break his oath. Given I didn't go along with it, I can't say that he actually broke the oath, since I had no knowledge if he approached anyone else with the idea.

I believed that his intent was to break his oath. Given I didn't go along with it, I can't say that he actually broke the oath, since I had no knowledge if he approached anyone else with the idea.
So you would say that if he did approach someone else then that would be proof he broke his oath?

Breaking the oath, at least the part about waging war, would seem to me to need some action to take place. The first part, about being a responsible member, I can't say what breaking that part means.

The other Laws you quoted earlier also seemed to mention planning for an overthrow of the elected government, and it was my understanding that was what he wanted to plan.

And finally, do you believe that BW was attempting to incite you, (to rouse, stir up, or excite,) you to break the law by overthrowing Sydia as delegate in the nationstates game?

Breaking the oath, at least the part about waging war, would seem to me to need some action to take place. The first part, about being a responsible member, I can't say what breaking that part means.

The other Laws you quoted earlier also seemed to mention planning for an overthrow of the elected government, and it was my understanding that was what he wanted to plan.
Do you have any evidence that such a regime change was actually planned, or only that he wanted to plan it? I would assert that freedom of thought is traditionally protected in the North Pacific and therefore wanting to plot something is entirely legal if not tactful.

The Defense asks the Court to remove this peice of evidence from the charge of sedition stating the following, emphasis mine.

Section 3: Sedition
A - "Sedition" is defined as an intentional attempt on the official forums or within the NationStates region "The North Pacific" to incite the Nations of The North Pacific to revolt in a manner not sanctioned by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights

A MSN log does not fulfill the official forum or NS region requirement for sedition therefore the evidence is irrelevant to the matter at hand.

The Defense would also like to point out that there is not a shred of evidence that exists that suggests the Defendant acted upon the conversation outlined in Exhibit A and therefore we also ask the Court to throw the evidence out entirely since there is no definitive evidence of Treason, only hearsay.

The Defense would also like to remind the Prosecution that the Defendant has a right to be part of his own Defense Council.

We await the Court's ruling.

Objection!

The law is clear, Blue Wolf intentionally sought out FEC to usurp Sydia on the nationstates website.

And is this a wrestling match? Will the defense settle on a counsel and stop tagging each other in and out of the ring?

Back