What Do We Want?

We've been sitting around trying to think of ways to rejuvenate our forum and there's the usual; "the government doesn't get me," *runs into my room and blasts Papa Roach, yet participation with government is at an all time low.

I'm not saying the government isn't to blame yet they shouldn't be blamed solely. At the end of the day, the same goes for RL governments also, which begs the question, if we must have representational government; what do we want them to do?

So dream up your ideal Delegate, and DEMAND THE KIND OF REPRESENTATION YOU FEEL YOU DESERVE. And if you can't think of anything, don't be surprised with the kind of representation you have. But at the end of the day, why do we look at the election list looking for the bright side of who cares? What do we want our representatives to do?

Let's talk about what kind of government we want, we demand, and we deserve before we go on about removing specific posts. Let's act like we're Aaron Sorkin dreaming up the West Wing, what do we want our government to do? What kind of vision do we share?

Nobody knows what they want. Nobody tells me what they want. All they do is moan because I'm apparently a mindreader who can instantly gauge exactly what you want and have the power to make it happen overnight.

Nobody knows what they want. Nobody tells me what they want. All they do is moan because I'm apparently a mindreader who can instantly gauge exactly what you want and have the power to make it happen overnight.
A mind reader who can instantly guage and make what we want appear overnight? So that's what they want!

But no offense Syd, I know you came to power because Flem had RL issues, but where's your vision? Since you came to power, what if anything have you done?

I mean if not going rogue is a feat, high fives all around. Maybe you should think of that before going off on the electorate.

Fantastic, I'm getting criticised for doing my job; keeping the region safe and secure and representing the region. You want grand sweeping visions and empty promises, I'm not going to give you them because I'm not a liar, I'm a realist.

I have the misfortune of being delegate during a time of chronic activity loss the game, it's only natural for people to apportion the blame, it's what people do. Can I try and bring activity to the forum? Yes. Can I actually? Who knows. What did the previous administration accomplish that was so earth-shattering? What has any other delegate done, in any other region or time? The answer is; do our duty, or lie about things we couldn't possibly deliver.

To be brutally honest, the greatest changes were wrought by rogues.

Indeed. Which is why I've said time and again that the introduction of influence was the biggest mistake in the game.

Changes are brought by rogues, true enough.

A few years back my home was burgled. That wrought change, but it was neither good nor positive.

in every case Rogues have left the community weakened at the end of the day. And it is community that keeps the game and the region going.

That is why I am really excited about the measures being talked about to strengthen our community, such as branching into erepublik and more roleplay.

But Sydia, if you are a mind reader please turn off your mind ... my wife is looking particularly gorgeous this morning....

Oh, no doubt about that Flem; but what I mean is - consider if The North Pacific had never had any rogues, ever. How different would the region be? No constitution, no system of checks and balances, no community bonded by mutual hardship.

Basically we want this guy as delegate - but I apologise, I'm just not that chubby.

I think the current way of doing crap works pretty well, though its just really not that exciting.

It might have something to do with some members insistence on following really boring time consuming protocol when it comes to government, but I'm not going to blame everything on that.

If I remember correctly, the Constitution was brought in during the reign of Magicality well before UPS became a rogue Delegate.

I wasn't referring to TNP rogues...I can't remember the Great Bight/UPS timeline in comparison to the constitution, may well have been earlier or later.

I wrote the original constitution when I was delegate. I was out before it was implemented and it went through during Magicality's time in office.

However, constitutions have never had anything to do with rogues. We can make all the silly little rules we want on this forum, it's all about the endorsements garnered and the ban hammer wielded (or unwielded) in the actual game. We've been rogued when we were vibrant and active, we've been rogued when it was slow. We've been rogued when we had an elaborate and ginormous constitution, we've been rogued when we had virtually nothing to guide us.

Anyways, back to the discussion at hand...

Could we change the delegate more often? No offence to Sydia of course who I am sure is doing a wonderful job but its always nice to see things turning over in the region.

This democracy thing we have on the go is nice and all but how about voting purely with in-game endorsements? This would mean that more in-game campaigning could occur as nations vie for control by posting on the RMB. Perhaps it would make the region seem more active?

This way nations do not get told who they should be endorsing: they make their minds up for themselves.

There can be a general agreement to no-longer cling to power after say 21 days after which time another nation will soon endotart their way to the delegacy.

If we end up with a rogue then great we can all start trying to liberate the region again which is always fun and generates interest like nothing else.

Just a suggestion.

If we end up with a rogue then great we can all start trying to liberate the region again which is always fun and generates interest like nothing else.
Brilliant.

There is something appealing about a cyclical, create -> destroy -> renew, style of politics. Almost embracing dictatorships as a natural part of political evolution.

Of the feeder delegates, I'm the 2nd youngest (The West Pacific has just got a new delegate); the others have been in power for longer, by various degrees of magnitude - Fudgetopia in TSP has been delegate for 1000+ days (!). If you're already getting bored of me, TG me suggestions, what do you want me to do?

I've mentioned before the suggestion of a Veidt-esque plan to sacrifice my name in the rogue's gallery in order to stir up activity, but my morals are far too strong! [size=-3]Also I don't wanna waste influence.[/size]

'If you're already getting bored of me, TG me suggestions, what do you want me to do?'

Ok thanks for that clarification. I am not getting bored of you. I pay very little attention to the government and the doings of the delegate so I have no right to complain about anything. I was thinking more from the point of view of less active nations who do not visit this forum very often (me).

Not sure I'm making sense but sorry mate

Just a suggestion.
MOG...a lot of the vet nations feel this way. However, they have never really been active in the politics of liberating the region. They don't get around NS, don't have out of region influence and most have no respect for the off site communities that take on these tasks. It is here that these liberation's begin and end.

I assure you...from experience...nations in a region that do not get involved in off site communities will not have the capabilities to properly stop a rogue/invader that has out of region influence and experience with off site politics.

I am reminded of Ronald Reagan's old quote...

couldn't help but say to [Mr. Gorbachev], just think how easy his task and mine might be in these meetings that we held if suddenly there was a threat to this world from another planet. [We'd] find out once and for all that we really are all human beings here on this earth together

Seems to me this great region only really comes to life when there is a threat or an invasion!

Come on people. let's liven it up!

We really shouldn't need either to "liven" things up. People just have to care and find positive endeavors to boost activity.

Would like to remind people that Rogues and Dictators in Feeders may breed activity for a short time...but after wards...it is the community that is left to pick up the pieces. We lose a lot when nations get kicked or forum threats happen. In these days, in NS, we cannot afford it.

Yeah, I'm having to do that with The Commonwealth.

Turns out my old friends in the Aeazen Combine never went away, but were lying low enough that the mods wouldn't delete them, and now after two years, the mods will no longer delete them on sight because "players can change."

They haven't.

One of them managed to get admin status and wreaked havoc on the CW's forum and ordered everyone to move to some other forum they were hosting. This was after we discovered the CW's Queen, an old ally of theirs, had been using them to rig the last election. She and her AC friends then moved to the new forum, taking nearly half the CW with them, though most people were dragged along against their will since she had the passwords to founder nations she didn't even own.

I was technically already a member by being in the LWU, but I was brought in because I know how the AC thinks and how to guard against further infiltration. Right now they are trying to get into TWP, and as soon as I identify their nations I'm going to ask rol to ban them for violations of COPS.

But yeah, rogues can be a bitch.

Back