FD: Renaming the CLO

As proposed by Grosseschnauzer:

A Constitutional Amendment
BE IT ENACTED BY THE REGIONAL ASSEMBLY OF THE NORTH PACIFIC, that Article IV of the Constitution be amended to change the name of the Council of Lower Officers to the Council of Legal Oversight, as follows:

Article IV: Council of Lower OfficersLegal Oversight

Section 1: Membership and Powers

1. The Council of Lower OfficersLegal Oversight (CLO) is to be comprised of the Speaker of the Assembly and three specially-elected members of the Assembly.
2. The CLO is to be given access and speaking privileges within the private Cabinet areas but are not allowed to take part in votes of the Cabinet.
3. The CLO may, with the approval of at least three of the four members, place an emergency temporary halt on any specific action undertaken by the Executive branch.
4. The CLO may vote to immediately bring any piece of legislation to an emergency vote before the Assembly.

This proposal is now in formal discussion. When any issues have been discussed, then this will move forward to a vote.

I know I'm not the only one who has had to ask what the Lower Officials actually do, so giving them a more self-explanatory name is good. I'll vote for it.

(Actually, if we have to rename it to something that abbreviates to CLO, the coolest choice would doubtlessly be the Council of Lascivious Ornithologists. I doubt that will gain much support, but I can dream.)

I fail to see how changing the name constitutes any change at all beyond the most superficial. Why change the name and not the structure?

But in the same manner the change doesn't make sense either. Council of Legal Oversight sounds like something the Court could be renamed into.

Sounds good to me, poor CLO might have an inferiority complex because of the 'Lower' bit.

Although I would have called it "The Justice Squadron"...

Back