Renaming the CLO

A couple of months back I indicated that I was thinking about how to rename the CLO, as its original and current name made absolutely no sense. Monte Ozurka was around at the time and mentioned that in an early version of the draft constitution we eventually adopted, there had been a group of Executive Branch officials who were to be elected and would have constituted the CLO. Those officials were dropped from the proposal but the name wasn't fixed.

I think I have come up with a more appropriate name that keeps the acronym "CLO."

The Council of Legal Oversight.

The nice part is, the name actually makes sense in terms of the CLO's responsibilities. Before I draft a formal proposal, I wanted to see i this is acceptable or if there's any better naming idea.

Comments? Ideas?

Here's a first draft of the formal proposal:

A Constitutional Amendment
BE IT ENACTED BY THE REGIONAL ASSEMBLY OF THE NORTH PACIFIC, that Article IV of the Constitution be amended to change the name of the Council of Lower Officers to the Council of Legal Oversight, as follows:

Article IV: Council of Lower OfficersLegal Oversight

Section 1: Membership and Powers

1. The Council of Lower OfficersLegal Oversight (CLO) is to be comprised of the Speaker of the Assembly and three specially-elected members of the Assembly.
2. The CLO is to be given access and speaking privileges within the private Cabinet areas but are not allowed to take part in votes of the Cabinet.
3. The CLO may, with the approval of at least three of the four members, place an emergency temporary halt on any specific action undertaken by the Executive branch.
4. The CLO may vote to immediately bring any piece of legislation to an emergency vote before the Assembly.

If there's nothing further to be raised on this in preliiminary discussion, then this, too, will move forward to formal discussion in a day or two.

Back