Favorite CD's of 2007

Rocketman

TNPer
Whether it was a new CD you bought and wore out, or a new release for this past year that tickles your pickle, I'd like to know about it. Share what you want here, but the more you share, the more likely you'll be to impact someones purchases for the New Year. Id like to see reviews from certain people (Read:IG).

It may be an Old School CD, but I really wore out Daily Operations From Gangstarr.

This was the third release from the dynamic pairing of Guru and DJ Premier. There were also several guest tracks with Jeru the Damaja. With Guru's hard hitting socially charged lyrics and Premiers tight samples, its hard not to give this Album a second listen closely after the first, not only to pick up on the message delivered through Guru's smoke covered vocals, but to enjoy the refreshing mixes of samples by DJ P, which ring true today, even 16 years after the albums release.

What about you?

I dunno if I can say I have specifics from 2007, as in they were released or whatever, this past year, but I definitely have a little collection of songs/bands/albums that I've really come to love/discover this past year...

Albums:

Wincing the Night Away
- The Shins
Best Shins album since Oh, Inverted World. Is it better than OIW? I still haven't decided, but maybe.

Loney, Noir
- Loney Dear
Swedish Indie Pop. Amazing. If you don't believe me, go check out the music video for the song "I Am John" on YouTube. It's awesome.

Armchair Apocrypha
- Andrew Bird
Andrew Bird satisfies both my indie yearnings and my inner emo kid. Just listen to him.

- Blond Redhead
The best out of all their 7 albums, hands down, imo. Amazing album, Kazu Makino has such an awesome voice. The whole album's amazing, but I love the songs "Top Ranking" and "Spring and by Summer Fall".

Watch The Fireworks
- Emma Pollock
Emma was always my favorite member of Scotland's The Delgados. This is her debut solo album, and it's so amazing, I'm not sure she'll ever be able to best it.

We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
- Modest Mouse
In the vein of Good News For People Who Love Bad News, it's not pre-Moon & Antarctica Modest Mouse, which even I am not in the mood for, some days, but it's good. It's progressing, with a modest touch of original Mouse. I love all these songs. But especially "Fire It Up" and "People As Places As People".

Emerald City
- John Vanderslice
Though I think my favorite album of his is Mass Suicide Occult Figurines, the title of which is a hat-tip to Neutral Milk Hotel, who if you don't have any of their stuff, I pity you. Go buy the album On Avery Island right now. DO IT. Anyway, the song "Speed Lab" on MSOF is pretty dang awesome. I like John Vanderslice because he's folksy but he can whip out a jam, or some heavy guitar when you don't expect it. And he's a really nice guy. Best songs from Emerald City? "Tablespoon of Codeine" and "The Minaret".

More to come in a bit: IG's Favorite random songs of 2007 (because I didn't buy that many albums this year, actually, being broke I just downloaded mp3s that I could find.)

Back