Comment on Current Endorsement Ranking

Is your criteria for "Citizen" based on whether they're endorsing the Delegate or not? Because I only recongize about 2/3 or the blue names up there...

Is there any possibility of keeping a log of the numbers to establish the the rate at which endo levels change (i.e., the speed of the endotarting)? Maybe the NPA or the NPIA could help the SC with this?

Since endo tarters seem to like to do it quickly, this would help "flag" the endotarters who might pose a threat more quickly. This might also allow a more pro-active approach to those players before their conduct might be deemed a potential threat.

Is your criteria for "Citizen" based on whether they're endorsing the Delegate or not? Because I only recongize about 2/3 or the blue names up there...
Yes, citizens endorse the delegate and rogues don't. Perhaps I could make the labeling more self-explanatory.

Also, perhaps it might be useful to flag certain members as "harmless" or "suspicious" manually later on, but right now with 20-30 nations displayed, there seems to be little need for special markings since it's easy enough to read through the list in full.

Archived records are technically possible, but they require significant changes to the current program, because the current database structure is only built to contain one scan result for the region - before rescanning, the old records have to be deleted.

Would be a nice feature to include in the next version. :yes:

I wanted to make a note here that shortly after midnight EDT, Great Bights Mum unofficially attained a sufficient number of endorsements to complete the transition of the formal Delegacy. Of course, this won't be official until after the update sometime overnight, but at least this has been accomplished! As the most senior member of the Security Council I want to express my appreciation to all of those who have worked to make this process work in spite of the unexpected problems that arose immediately after the election.

Hersfold ran the scanner on TNP yesterday, and after returning to the region on NPA orders today I re-scanned again. GBM is currently ahead by one endorsement, so with any luck, the transition will be done within three hours.

Thank you Schnauzers. Truly, it would not have been possible without the help I've recieved from so many. And I got to tell you, the info we can access has been a tremendous boon to regional security. Thats what it's really all about.

:hug: Erm!

Um... something went weird with the scanner the last time I ran it. I'm pretty darn sure it did the entire region, but somehow it's showing GBM as having about 170 endos less than she really has.

According to NationStates, she has 405 at the moment. I'll try and run the scanner tommorrow to see if this was just a one-time glitch.

That's kind of weird. Possibly GBM's nation page didn't load fully, leading to the endorsements being cut off? That's really the only way I can see it happening.

Note that the scanner doesn't use the number stated on the page, but actually adds up the nations listed.

Edit: I noticed that the scanner doesn't always reset "cleanly". Some nations that move around during the scanning may be partially saved and then not deleted when the scanner resets; I'll try to find a solution. This only concerns a few nations (5-10) though, so the accuracy isn't affected severely.

Edit2: I ran the scanner again, and the glitch didn't occur this time. I got 407 endorsements (the correct 405, plus 2 that are the result of the above problem).

Brief downtime.

Today, the entire website is moving to a new server, during which it will be unavailable. If something goes wrong, this thing may be down for a day or two.

The address won't change.

For another few days, yes.

Site now works again. Updating script doesn't.

If you use the updating script, all it will do is delete the current data; it won't be able to fetch new data.

The reason is that my new host has Views about url_fopen, and only allows PHP to copy remote files via the cURL module. I have never worked with cURL before, so it will take some time until I can rewrite my entire site.

it just occured to me that there may be a way to create an archive of the endorsement rankings updates.
Can the image of each report be saved elsewhere? One possibility is if it is enabled, it is possible to upload images here. What I am thinking is not a permanent ongoing archive, but if the total usage limit is a problem, then the last X number of reports could be saved.
Possible? Not possible? Other possibilities?

It'd be very easy to do that, but it would take some time to automatize it. Since it would take about as much time to finally change the database scheme to allow for archived records, I'd rather do that because it's more flexible.

The whole thing is about to go through a major clean-up, anyway.

--

Also, it can be used again.

I made a curl module for it, and it is now twice as fast. It also sends a unique User Agent to NS, which Sei suggested to me a long time ago. file_get_contents can't do that, but cURL is more versatile, so now it sends something like
Code:
EndoSpider/2.4pre-alpha rv:10 by ermarian.net (Used by: Ermarian on embassy.ermarian.net)

A problem: It doesn't seem to transmit progress in real-time anymore. Before, you could see what nation it was on because it immediately displayed the nations when it finished. Now it only transmits the page when the scan is complete. I'll try to change that later.

Anyway, the password you got earlier will now work again.

Some features to come in version 3:

- better version-tracking
- improved behavior analysis ("apathetic", "possible invader", "likely to swap", etc)
- archived records (FINALLY)
- better installing process/configuration
- possibly an XML scheme for exporting/importing data to other sites using EndoSpider (Eluvatar suggested this feature for reducing load on the NS server)
- tracking the load put on NS and allowing a "throttle".

But we're getting into daydream territory now. First I'll fix the bugs, then I'll start adding features. :yes:

I'm trying to run the scanner now... unfortunately it doesn't appear to be working very well. It's not letting me start the second phase, the bit that actually counts endorsements.

As an FYI, the script is not working properly again. This is now the second day running it's displayed the wrong results, the first time run by GBM, the most recent by me. This is the correct endorsement count of the top six nations shown, accurate as of the time of this post.

Great Bights Mum, Delegate - 403
Emperor Matthuis, Vice Delegate - 341
Conch Divers - 288
Unterwasserseestaat - 271
Klarf - 235
Kitabo - 214

Note: I am unable to provide information about number of nations endorsed - so for the time being, we must assume that that portion of the script is correct.

*Former English Colony notes she has 260+ endos ;)

Tarters:
#1  Former English Colony  886
#2  Great Bights Mum  825
#3  Emperor Matthuis  773
#4  Chodean Kal  649
#5  Unterwasserseestaat  616
#6  Heftogen  498
#7  Conch Divers  474
#8  Kitabo  438
#9  Aleisyr  416
#10  Black Shear  330

I don't have this script (I have been through three computers sinced I asked Ermarian for it), but the picture in the first post in this thread updates itself. And I noticed something. EM is number 6 in the region for endorsments. I was under the assumption that the Vice Del. had to be second in the region, behind the Delegate?

As an FYI, the script is not working properly again. This is now the second day running it's displayed the wrong results, the first time run by GBM, the most recent by me. This is the correct endorsement count of the top six nations shown, accurate as of the time of this post.

Great Bights Mum, Delegate - 403
Emperor Matthuis, Vice Delegate - 341
Conch Divers - 288
Unterwasserseestaat - 271
Klarf - 235
Kitabo - 214

Note: I am unable to provide information about number of nations endorsed - so for the time being, we must assume that that portion of the script is correct.
Helps to read the topic. ;)

*Former English Colony notes she has 260+ endos ;)

Tarters:
#1  Former English Colony  886
#2  Great Bights Mum  825
#3  Emperor Matthuis  773
#4  Chodean Kal  649
#5  Unterwasserseestaat  616
#6  Heftogen  498
#7  Conch Divers  474
#8  Kitabo  438
#9  Aleisyr  416
#10  Black Shear  330
lawl, imagine if I actually tried for more than one night every three months (roughly).

Back