Adolf would have loved this architect...

Or which other city planners would have allowed such:

uiuiui.jpg

a building?? *HEIL!* , or what?!

:lol:

Weeeell, it really isn't the swastika's fault that Adolf and his pals liked it, is it now? ;)

Where on the globe is this positioned?

*coughcough*

Read the title!

*coughcough*

But seeing that the building was established after WWII, they might have wanted to consider its form nevertheless!

Ah, well you see I am a notorious "skipper". :) Sometimes I oversee things! :)

True, but don't forget that you don't necessarily realize the form of a building from ground level. In my first year of architecture we had to draw ground plans of buildings by walking around them. 90% of the times, the drawings were wrong.

OMG, That's a US military base! :blink:

Do you guys know the irony of the swastika? It was at one time a symbol of luck to the Jewish people. Although, if you think about it that was probably the intent of Hitler.

Do you guys know the irony of the swastika? It was at one time a symbol of luck to the Jewish people. Although, if you think about it that was probably the intent of Hitler.
I didn't know that meaning it carries for the jewish people. Interesting.

The origins of the Swastika are not discernible though. They have been found in India and in the Greek - Phoenician area of influence, like on pottery in Troy or in the islands of the Cyclades in the Aegean sea. It seems to be one of those ornaments that are common in many civilizations (like the cross). If I remember correctly it can even be found in the native American culture. Hitler's intention was to draw connecting lines from the Indogermanic Aryans to his Reich. Especially its existence in India and in the ancient civilizations of the Aegean and the eastern Mediterranean were more than welcome propaganda, I can imagine. It is a statement about who they thought they are and what their origin was. I doubt they considered the meaning it carried for the jewish people.

Hmm, why do I bother researching when everything can be found in Wikipedia! :) :lol:

I am glad I wasn't too wrong about what I said! :)

VZ, I would like to tell you it is because I am just that good, but I'm not. <_< I saw the pic and wondered if it was intentional or not. The article I read just happened to mention it was a military base. It came as quite a shock to me. You would think the US military would make sure such coincidences don't happen.

Yesh, I just knew I was choosing the right title! Imagine, if Hitler could see that today, how he would laaaugh about this irony! One of the very armies who prevailed over him constructing such a silly thingy...tsts...

On the other hand... This could be a reminder that maybe, only maybe, we should start freeing this ancient and international symbol of its ugly past! Whatcha think? :yes:

I (personally) think Hitler would be more flattered by whoever designed the US national WW2 monument. More than an unfortunate overhead coincidence, this screams fascist art.

ww2fountain.jpg

On the other hand... This could be a reminder that maybe, only maybe, we should start freeing this ancient and international symbol of its ugly past! Whatcha think? :yes:
In nations outside the English-speakers and the Eurozone the swastika is still in use. In South Asia you can find it nearly anywhere; even in Finland it is still used conspicuously. Most of Asia is fairly benign or indifferent toward the swastika, probably because they were being busy being murdered by the Japanese at the time and did not see much of the Nazis.

You are right. In Asia it is seeing a lot of use. I have been to India and China and especially in China I saw the symbol quite often.

The picture you posted is amazing! When was the memorial built, if I may ask?

The picture you posted is amazing! When was the memorial built, if I may ask?
IIRC work started in fall 2001 and the monument was finished a couple years ago or more recent than that. It is located in the American national mall, that -formerly- unbroken space between the Washington and Lincoln monuments. When the current administration, with all we've seen of them, puts a couple of fascist-styled Arcs de Triomphe in the middle of what had traditionally been open ground for 1st amendment demonstration, I am suspicious of their motives. Hopefully it will have the opposite effect, and the monument will be a rallying point for anti-government protectors. We shall see.

Ah! So it is a rather young product. It is amazing how we forget isn't it? Close to where I live is a city called Frankfurt am Main. The city parliament wants to rebuild parts of the centre with houses in the Fachwerk style (a timber framed construction), because they reckon that this area actually looked like that at some point. Interestingly enough... it never did. It was the Nazis' wish that it does and they were planing it before the war went sour for them. That is how easy we forget...

On the other hand... Loss of memory is probably understandable and normal after 60 - 70 years. Dunno.

Back