Beginning of the End

Hersfold

TNPer
Hello, everyone.

Some of you have been aware of the impending nature of this announcement for almost a month now; others have guessed this was coming for a few days now, based on some of my actions lately; for many, it will be fresh news. I apologize to the many, and thank the some for their patience and understanding. However, after three years playing this most interesting of online games, I have found that it is time to give it up. The third anniversary of The United Federation of Hersfold is coming up in about seven days - I have chosen that day to be my final login to the nation. I am leaving NationStates.

The past three years have been a very interesting, and for the most part, enjoyable time of things. I will never forget the friendly nature with which I was welcomed to The North Pacific by Magicality, when I was the ambassador from the fledgling region Part123. I will never forget the struggle and unity we had fighting that summer against Great Bight. The work we put into the recovery... the failure of it all with the uprising of the North Pacific Directorate... our eventual recovery from that, and the formation of our government today, fueled by paranoia and uncertainty... and all the other hardships we have encountered, large and small, to reach where we are today. I will never forget any of it. This is a great region, most probably the greatest in NationStates (although, don't let the NPO hear me say that), and it will be and already has been very difficult to step back from it. But stepping back is something I need to do.

In the months to come, I will need to be able to give more and more time to my three AP classes, studying for their difficult exams. I will need to be able to help my class more and more as graduation approaches. When college comes, I will have to dedicate a substantial amount of time to my studies. I will be going to UMBC on a full scholarship, and they are none too lenient with their academic standards for that award. All this considered, I will be lucky to have a life in real life, not to mention one here. I'm sure many of you have reached a similar point while playing NationStates - I know some of you have managed to overcome it. Unfortunately, I don't see this as a major possibility for me any time soon. Plus, once you've spent three years playing a single game, you find there really isn't much left to do. It's somewhat depressing really, but after having been Prime Minister of two regions, author of a UN Resolution that lasted almost as long as I have, Director of an intelligence agency, Major General of a well-known and powerful defense force, a freedom fighter against a tyrannical government on two counts, elected to many different government offices many different times, placed in charge of running every single election I wasn't running in (yes, I'm still complaining, told you I would), you have to understand there really isn't much left to do.

At this point, many of you are probably wondering "But... you're the administrator... you can't leave..." Don't worry, everything is sorted out. Flemingovia, my trusted right hand when it comes to running this forum, will be given the password to this account upon my departure. He will effectively become the "Root Admin", able to do whatever needs doing on this forum that he can't do already. So that we have two administrators, Grosseschnauzer, our exalted Prime Minister and Global Moderator, will be given an admin mask so that he may better serve the region. He is fair, just, and knows his way around the control panel. I can't think of a better candidate for the job. To replace him as Global Moderator, I have decided to bring back a veteran to the position, Tresville. Tres was a Global Moderator for years on s2 and only just missed getting the position here when we held applications over a year ago. It seems only right he be given the chance to serve again.

This isn't goodbye forever. I will still pop in every now and then just to check in and make sure Flem and Gross haven't destroyed the forum yet (:P). And there will always be other ways to contact me - some of us have talked previously over AIM, so you know I can be reached there when I actually decide to check e-mail - the IRC channel which I occasionally enter - and more recently, Wikipedia. I've become quite involved in the project, something which I find fun, gratifying, and easier to step away from than NationStates is. Just come by and leave a message on my talk page, which can be reached by clicking on that link or on the barnstar in my signature.

It's been a great three years, and I thank all of you, including those not here such as IP, Cathyy, and Limi, for making it such a memorable experience.

I'll make my final farewells in a week's time. I just wanted to make the announcement now.

:hug:

:o

I for one am shocked. And I don't know what to say here, seeing as how you'll be making the final farewells in a week, and not now.

So I'll just hold off until then.

Yes, some of us have known for few weeks that Hersfold intended to take this step, and planning and preparing for that has made things interesting, especially as the few of us who knew were asked not to say anything until Hersfold was ready.
You will be missed, here, sir.
I will do my best as an admin for this forum; as Hers knows, I've been an admin at a couple of other forums for a while, and at sites totally unrelated to NS.
I understand your concern about time, and I also understand how difficult it can be to judge time demands beforehand.
I will make this prediction, though, You might just find you have a little time on your hands as you get past your freshamn year.
I'm sorry to see you leave, if it hadn't been for you when I came into Nationstates, I probably would have never gotten involved in The North Pacific internally. So if anyone doesn't like what I do in TNP, I can always them them to blame Hersfold! :lol:

We will be have a ceremony to honor Hersfold, (most likely in either the Prime Minister's office or the main Cabinet forum) in a couple of days; everyone will be invited. (Can't use the RA because of the new restricted permissions there.)

Excellent decision to devote yourself fully to your studies. I wish you luck in your endeavors and I know that you will be back one day. :)

Pre-emptive congratulations to Schnauzers and Tresville.

I will make this prediction, though, You might just find you have a little time on your hands as you get past your freshamn year.

I'll say this publically here, as (I think) I have said privately to Hers.

As far as I am concerned, even when I get the root admin PW, I will be a tenant. This forum was created by Hersfold and, as far as I am concerned, will always belong to him.

Should his RL circumstances change, and he wants the root admin back at any point, he only has to ask.

What I have to say about Hers himself, I will save for his actual departure.

Can the RA call an emergency vote and pass a binding resoultion to make you stay? I'll submit an immediate proposal if need be.

I just got back and you were one of my favorite players last time I was around.

Not cool.

But I do wish you well.

:bye:

La Duchess

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
Ill never look into your eyes...again

Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free
Desperately in need...of some...strangers hand
In a...desperate land

I never got the chance to meet you, but 3 years? Wow. Good luck on the AP exams and college. Maybe we'll meet again sometime. *wave*

While I did not actually expect this I can't say as I'm surprised. Good luck Hersfold with those matters that I will be hurtling myself into as well.

I will not be on nationstates next week (im not leaving for good), so I'll say my goodbyes now.

It has been a great honor to work in this region with you. You made me feel very welcome in TNP and helped me with a lot of things. I've always admired your nation and considered you one of the best players of Nationstates. Thank you for all you have done for this region and for my nation, and I wish you the best of luck in real life!

Good Bye,

...Ator People...

Although there should probably be a special ceremony, and I'm certain that one is being planned, I imagine there will be no argument that Hersfold deserves this:

liachhers5aa.gif

I remember Hers' role in Part123 from quite a long time ago. Even when I was new to the game, I could tell that Hersfold was one of the players who wanted to contribute to the enjoyment of the game for others.

It's always painful when someone leaves the game; too few of them return. It is my hope that Hers will - at the very least - show up in the irc channel from time to time.

Congratulations on your achievements. Thank you for your resolve. Good luck with your future endeavors.

And remember that we will miss you.

It has been an honor and a privelage, friend. I commend you, by the way, on handling this retirement very very well. I was saddened when I first heard the news several days ago, but I see now that you've thought this through thoroughly.

Thanks everyone. All of this means a lot. Things won't be quite the same without reading y'all's posts for half the day.

but I see now that you've thought this through thoroughly.
Quite throughly. I've been thinking about this for several months, and made my final decision about a month ago. It wasn't easy, but I think something that will be quite necessary soon, if not immediately.

liachhers5aa.gif

And thank you, Thel, for this wonderful medal. It looks exquisite as always. :) Unfortunately, it's a little too big to put in my sig, or I definitely would.

I'll post final goodbyes in a few days, although apparently Tresville's planning something. He's not going to let me post them until he says I can. Humph.

I'll pop in every now and then, MO. Don't worry. :)

Well, today is the three-year anniversary of Hersfold, but I'm under strict orders from Tresville not to post anything until he tells me to. :eyeroll: So, naturally, he's not here.

SO... how is everyone today? Anything exciting, unusual...?

Tres is going to kick your ass for this :P
Oh btw, because you've earned it, you are now the (counts on hand) third person who is officially allowed to call me that name without me complaining.

You'd better appreciate that.

I am truly honored, Cak. I swear I shall never abuse the use of your least favorite nickname like I just did. :)

Apparently Tres has this huge party or something planned, but he can't make it today. So the goodbyes will have to wait until tomorrow, it appears. You lot are stuck with me one more day. :P

Back