The 15 Line Limit on Ads on the RMB needs to be..

Vulcan

TNPer
Everywhere I look, I see recruiters from other regions just flaunting the 15 line limit on recruitment ads. This disregard for rules cannot stand!

There is a reason that there's that limit posted on the World Factbook Entry. Let us not forget why it was placed in the first place.

I've been in the middle of moving, and haven't been able to pay much attention to RMB ads. My opinion is that the 15-line rule is just there to make people feel self-conscious, which is exactly what happened the few times I sent off a TG to a recruiter. They simply don't pay attention to the WFE entry because the ad is the only reason they're here.

However, if you or anyone else is particularly bothered by the RMB goings-on, I can start a thread in the Delegate's office to report some of the more blatant offences for the Del to do some finger-wagging.

Personally, I could care less, but I lack the wisdom of you more seasoned veterans.

IMO the best way to deal with it to to TM, the nation that they have broken our regional rule, and it would be nice if they can abide by our rules. I mean sure not every recruiter will comply, but the few people I have TMed asking to changed their add a bit have done so, and have been more then nice about it. Plus there is no real way to enforce it as most recruiters region hop quickly.

The only real way to deal with it is by punitive spam bumpage, and that's unreliable, at best. So, get out there and talk, people! :P

Unfortunately, it's incredibly hard to ban recruiters from the region, as they only stay here for a few minutes - sometimes not even that long. The most we can do (directly against them) is complain to the head of their region, who often is the person doing the recruiting.

If we could set up some sort of group that tried to clear that spam, then we might get the point across. Maybe.

Unfortunately, it's incredibly hard to ban recruiters from the region, as they only stay here for a few minutes - sometimes not even that long. The most we can do (directly against them) is complain to the head of their region, who often is the person doing the recruiting.

If we could set up some sort of group that tried to clear that spam, then we might get the point across. Maybe.
Maybe a cross-feeder group, a la the former TWP's CommRangers? I doubt anyone really likes seeing those ads, after all. But then, is the solution worse than the ads themselves?

No, because the discussions we create could easily be something the natives could get involved in. It's kind of hard to have a conversation when you get interrupted by Adspam every five minutes.

We have a forum here for the purpose of regional advertizing. If someone really wants to post a mile-long ad, they can do it here - they won't even have to register.

I don't quite understand why you even have the 15 line limit in the first place. If you will let them spam your forum, why can;t you let them spam your RMB? I personally would rather have a spammed RMB than a spammed forum. It's not like you use the RMB for normal talking, because even with a 15 line limit, there are recruiters constantly posting on there. So any normal conversation will be knocked off within half an hour. It really doesn't make sense to me why you even have the ad limit. Besides, you can't enforce the law, so it really isn't doing anything anyway.

I don't quite understand why you even have the 15 line limit in the first place. If you will let them spam your forum, why can;t you let them spam your RMB? I personally would rather have a spammed RMB than a spammed forum. It's not like you use the RMB for normal talking, because even with a 15 line limit, there are recruiters constantly posting on there. So any normal conversation will be knocked off within half an hour. It really doesn't make sense to me why you even have the ad limit. Besides, you can't enforce the law, so it really isn't doing anything anyway.
Again, it isn't a limit which prevents anyone from posting more than 15 lines; it's TNPsaying "we don't like ads longer than 15 lines". It's more important to us because the RMB is a limited resource (only ten entries at a time) where on the forum there is space for essentially unlimited entries.

If we're interested in setting up a system to bother or try to punish those who violate the rule, does anyone have anything specific in mind?

I like sending them TG's when they break our rules and mabe inform them there is a section on our forums for longer ads. Im sure most people that post the adds dont even know its here!

We could consider it an act of war or at least pretend too.
Make them freak out...

More logically, I suggest trying to push all TNPers to help enforce it. For example if a 15 line or more is posted, any TNP member has the right to clear the board. Assumingly someone will be on at almost all times, thus the recruiters would likely not try to repeat their actions.

If 15 members each post one message, within the space of, say, 2 minutes, is it still spamming?

Also, there's a good reason why we would like them to put their ads on the forum rather than the RMB. The RMB is limited, but it is prime announcement space - thousands of nations read it. Relatively few ever come to the boards. So from our point of view, if it comes to an exchange of the RMB and the forum, we should try to control the RMB. Besides of course that the forum isn't made unusable by a wave of ads, unlike the RMB.

The forum is good enough for normal communication, but for announcements and discussions involving all nations, not just the off-site forum elite, the RMB is vital.

Unfortunately, the advertisers see it the same way. Out of the few nations who ever stumble across this forum, even less read the regional ads here. I don't remember having been there in half a year, and then because I clicked the wrong link. ;)

The main difference actually is, if they post their ds here, the tendency is that the people who will see it are veterans, experienced or nations who are used to playing the game. Unlike in the RMB, n00bs are often what they get.

Back