Some Like it Hot

We've been above 90 for several days now, and we've broken several records during this stretch. It's been miserable :(

At least it's a dry heat, and it always cools into the 40's at night.

117 in Dallas recently. Summers in Tejas hover at around 100. I remember being in San Antonio when it was 111. I thought nothing of it.

My front porch thermometer read 109 yesterday.

5 of the 8 AC units at work are out, so I essentially work inside a giant concrete toaster oven.

Mgr. Byard:  Hi, Corporate Maintenance!  I have no AC in my building.

Maintenance Line: Let me transfer you to energy management.

B:  (listens to snappy hold music)

Energy Management:  Hi, can I get your store number?

B:  ####.

EM:  What seems to be the problem?

B: I have no air conditioning, and my lumber is starting to char. 

EM:  It looks like five of your units are down, and the other three are only outputting at half capapcity.

B: Fantastic.  And you'll be out to fix them . . .  when, exactly?

EM: Due to the amount, I have to get an authorization from your AMM for the work order.

B:  Okay, I'll hold.

EM:  I'm afraid she is out of town until next Wednesday.

B: (urge to kill rising) It's 105 here today.  That doesn't really work for me.

EM: Unfortunately, that is out of our approval range.  It has to be okayed by your AMM, and then we can schedule a technician for you.

B:  (well-meaning bystander wrestles the handset from me before I black out)

Five minutes later -

Byard - Energy Management, please.

Energy Management:  Hi, can I get your store number?

B:  ####.

EM:  What seems to be the problem?

B:  The AC is out in my server room, and I just lost all of my registers.

EM:  We'll have someone out there in an hour.

B: ( throws up a touchdown signal in the solitude of the office

And he was there an hour later.

Fixed the server room AC.

And left. :lol:

117 in Dallas recently. Summers in Tejas hover at around 100. I remember being in San Antonio when it was 111. I thought nothing of it.
That was the heat index and not the temperature, no? I knew it was hot but not that hot. :lol:

In other news,

20hui4j.jpg

20hujr8.jpg

:(

snapshot_Butte7Day.jpg

There's mine... Eww.

EDIT: Normal high for this time of year is 76, low is 39. Record highs range from 92-95 depending on the day. This is hot, considering that one month ago we were barely hitting 50 with lows in the teens :lol:

That was the heat index and not the temperature, no? I knew it was hot but not that hot. :lol:
No. Dallas gets pretty hot in the peak of Summer. So does San Antonio. Houston can get hot but it usually doesn't get quite to their level. It generally tends to hit 110 at the highest and Dallas and San Antonio usually stay about 5 degrees above them.

No. Dallas gets pretty hot in the peak of Summer. So does San Antonio. Houston can get hot but it usually doesn't get quite to their level. It generally tends to hit 110 at the highest and Dallas and San Antonio usually stay about 5 degrees above them.
No, I know. (I live in Dallas.) But when has it hit 117 recently? :blink: I'm crazy and try to save on my gas costs for my terrible commute by not turning the A/C on, so I'm pretty attuned to the afternoon highs. :lol:

Meh.. Here in California (Silicon Valley), it gets hot in the summer (90's sometimes, but usually only in September), but the past four days have been basically upper 90s/low 100's, with Midwest-style humidity (50% or so). That has been excruciating, especially for most of us around here not used to such humidity. Basically the heat index has been around 105 the past few days. Average this time of year is a dry mid-80s.

And since I dont have AC at home, I've been relegated to sleeping on the floor. Cooler today though (low 90s).

Furthermore, our building has been told that due to some problems with electricity generators (or something) on campus, all our lab areas have been set to a hard 78 degrees on the thermostat. It doesn't sound too bad, but when you're working in a space with other people around, it can easily feel 10 degrees warmer than that.

Oppressive and dangerous heat will prevail across the Northeast today. High temperatures may hit 100 degrees in locales from southern New Englnad to Virginia. Please take all precautions to protect yourself against heat indices of 105 to 110 degrees. Drink plenty of fluids, preferably water, limit physical exertion to the early morning and late evening hours, check on the elderly and make sure small children and pets are safe from the elements. The only part of the Northeast that will escape the extreme heat will be far northern New England. Scattered showers and thunderstorms, a few severe, are possible, especially in northern sections of New England and northern New York. Wednesday will be very hot, as well, but some relief from the heat is on tap for Thursday.

We're supposed to get up to 105 today. Woah nelly!

Also I really enjoy the movie Some like it hot. :)

Back