-
-
Pronouns
she/her
TNP Nation
Former English Colony
Discord
Erastide
New UN Resolution. Voting ends Wednesday the 19th. Please state your UN if you haven't voted before or it has changed. Thanks!

International Emergency Number
A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.
Category: International Security
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Kelssek

Description: WHEREAS the world is more interconnected than ever before, and,

WHEREAS travel between nations is also at a high level, and,

WHEREAS while abroad, persons may require the services of the relevant emergency services, including but not limited to ambulance, police and fire services, and,

WHEREAS different nations have different methods for contacting these emergency services, and,

BELIEVING that lives and property can be saved and protected by introducing an international emergency number throughout the United Nations,

NOW THEREFORE, the United Nations enacts as follows:

1. Member nations shall cause the dialing of "112" on any telephone or similar communication device to redirect to the emergency response service, if such service does not already use that number.

2. Member nations will not be required to change the telephone number of their existing emergency response services.

3. Member nations will ensure that no preferential treatment is accorded based on the number dialled to contact emergency response services.

4. This resolution shall not require member nations which do not already have emergency services or such communication devices to establish or introduce them.

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

UN: Vigneto

Against

This resolution does nothing but change the phone number for things that already exist. If you visit a country you should know the basics. How to reach a cop or ambulance is a basic. This last part kills me:

4. This resolution shall not require member nations which do not already have emergency services or such communication devices to establish or introduce them.

I'm waiting for the universal language proposal.

Nay.

When visiters enter Ator People, they are given a packet of information regarding the nation's customs, laws, and emergency number.

When citizens leave our country, they must present sufficient knowledge of the nation their visiting including customs, laws, and emergency number (this "test" is presented via a quick on-screen multiple choice format).

No need to introduce a new number.

UN: Sans Evil

I voted AGAINST the resolution. We feel it is currently unneccessary and a waste of resources.

In regard to visitors, tourists, diplomats and outsiders in general, Anarcho Fascism has an interesting approach that usually runs somewhere along the lines of public disembowlement.

*not a TNP member*

Ya, the writer of this resolution and its backers are all communists (seriously). And as a student of logic, that means vote against :lol:

The resolution is also quite flawed. It is making emergencies (ie house is on fire, burgular) into an international matter which is just ready for oogles of problems. It will put international funding (ie your taxes) into a new emergency program taking away from the current budget for police, fireman, and "11" operators.

I'm not sure what the problem is. A mere telephone redirect would hardly cost anything, and the benefits would far outweigh that cost.

FOR

DISCLAIMER: I have no UN nation in TNP or anywhere else. This is just personal opinion.

At first, I was thinking, "Wow. What a silly issue, but it can't hurt." After thinking through this some more, though, I realize that this does nothing for those nations that don't have emergency services and makes finding the right authority difficult for those that have well-developed emergency services.

"Emergency" means very different things to different people, and this ambiguity has caused many areas (especially in the US) to set up multiple numbers, according to the severity of the situation. Most areas reserve 911 for the OMG-I'm-dying calls and 114 for the less pressing issues. However, by hardcoding 112 in these nations that have well-developed emergency services, this resolution will basically funnel visitors to the areas to one number. Not only would this completely dismantle the 911/114 differentiation in the first place, it would force areas to either re-organize their emergency dispatch or hire new people to take the 112 calls and direct them to the right emergency number.

Basically, the administrative hassle, in my opinion, is not worth a universal number.

I can't remember if I TG'ed Eras, so I'll post here.

I am FOR this resolution. It seems as if it would cause member nations to raise taxes, so it gets the approval stamp, IMO.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back