2006 NFL Draft

Tresville

TNPer
For all you Football fanatics...the NFL Draft begins at 12pm ET tomorrow (Saturday).

Mario Williams (DT from Texas) was just signed as the #1 pick by the Texans over Reggie Bush. Its rather big news as most predicted Bush (the Heisman Trophy winner) to be the #1 pick. This one change has caused great excitement and I am sure NFL owners are getting calls through the night.

Here is a quick Mock Draft from your truely.

1. Texans: Already decided on that...read above.

2. Saints: Will they pass up on Reggie Bush? The Saints have Duece McAllister and signed Michael Bennett in the off season. Expect many new offers to the Saints for this pick. If they draft him he will end up somewhere else.

They need a back up quarterback for Drew Brees, an Offensive Lineman and a Linebacker. Will they resist the temptation to grab the best player out there instead of moving down and filling all their needs? Probably not, but they should...if cooler heads prevail the Saints will draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, from Virginia. The Jets will be so dissapointed...or will they? A.J. Hawk is surely on their minds...you can't go wrong with him...but they need to protect Brees who just came off injury and Tomlinson will surely love Ferguson's contribution.

3. Tennessee: Matt Leinart, QB, from USC....no doubt about it. Unless Oakland moves up...but why would they...they can get what they need in their draft order.

What about Vince Young? He's a tweaked up version of McNair, but Leinart can start now.

4. N.Y. Jets: Reggie Bush where art though? Not many are expecting the Jets to get Bush (at least from what I have heard in recent weeks)...I hope they do. He won't be there at #4 but they can surely trade for him.

If they don't trade for Bush, expect them to pass on Young. He doesn't fit what they are trying to do on offense over there. Ferguson would have been great to have....but no luck there. Forget the smoke screen and fronts that they have been passing around the media about not drafting a QB in the first round...Jay Cutler, QB, from Vanderbilt should be their choice. Jet fans are resiliant...but they might just riot if Patrick Ramsey goes down and Pennington Flops. Cutler could surely develop into something great around these two Vets.

5. Green Bay: Another tough one here...Favre is back so Vernon Davis is the obvious choice, but its this defense that really needs a lift. A.J. Hawk, LB, from Ohio State is a monster with an atitude...I love this guy..I'd trade Antonio Pierce to get him (i'm a Giants fan remember).

6. San Francisco: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland...They can't afford to pass him up. This guy can start, all they need to do is work on his blocking...but with his speed...you wouldn't want him blocking too much anyway...at first.

7. Oakland: Vince Young, QB, from Texas. This is just Kismet. The Raiders have the time to develope Young with Brooks as their QB. Young can learn a lot from a mobile QB like Brooks.

8. Buffalo: Haloti Ngata, DT, from Oregon is one they should pass up but won't. Nothing against Ngata, but the Bills have more holes on their team than swiss cheese. They have been eyeing Brodrick Bunkley the DT from Florida State for some time, but I still think Ngata is the way to go. Bunkley may have had better stats, but at 6-4, 338 Ngata should cause enough havoc for the DE's to make a play. Remember the Bills allowed 343.5 yds per game last season...they need a destructive force.

9. Detroit:This is a no brainer, Michael Huff, CB/S, Texas. He's the best DB in the draft.

10. Arizona: Top QB's are gone so Arizona needs to beef up that O' line. Winston Justice, OT, from USC will do nicely.

If the Jets move up for Bush, the Cards will not pass on Jay Cutler.

11. St. Louis: Jimmy Williams, CB, from Virginia Tech will be their likely choice. It's either him or the undersized Tye Hill.

12. Cleveland: Manny Lawson, OLB, N.C. Romeo's a defense minded coach and Lawson can rush the passer and drop back into coverage. His athletic ability should impress the Browns enough to draft him.

13. Baltimore: Brodrick Bunkley, DT, from Florida State should be their pick. The Ravens lost starter Maake Kemoeatu to the Carolina Panthers in free agency, Bunkley can close that hole.

14. Philadelphia: Nick Mangold, C, from Ohio State is who the Eagles should pick. Though Reid loves to pick defense, this big guy could be the best center to come out o the draft in recent years. They can easily get a decent free agent linebacker to fill their need on defense.

15. Denver: If Denver succeeds in getting Javon Walker then this all changes. Ashlie Lelie is reportedly on the trading block, so they will need a similar type of receiver to fill that void. Santonio Holmes, WR, from Ohio State is their best bet.

16. Miami: Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB, Florida State. Wimbley's a Pass rushing LB that will fit in this system well.

17. Minnesota: Ernie Sims, LB, from Florida State would fit their 4-3 defense perfectly.

18. Dallas: Bobby Carpenter, OLB, from Ohio State would be the most likely choice. Parcells will probably pass on Chad Greenway because of his poor pre-draft workouts. If Kamerion Wimbley or Manny Lawson are still available...Parcells might go with either one.

19. San Diego: Antonio Cromartie, CB, from Florida State may be a gamble, but the talent is there. He could end up being the type of corner the chargers are looking for.

20. Kansas City: Chad Jackson, WR, from Florida will most likely be chosen, if available. Though Herm Edwards is probably shopping for a corner, with the best ones taken, he may not be able to turn down this prospect.

If he does expect the Giants to grab Jackson up if he falls that far. :w00t:

21. New England: DeAngelo Williams, RB, from Memphis might end up as Corey Dillons successor, unless Bobby Carpenter is still on the board.

22. San Francisco: Chad Greenway, OLB, from Iowa may be one of the few good line backers left to fill the 49er's void at LB. He's smart fast and has a motor...him or someone similar is just what they need.

23. Tampa Bay: with Jackson and Holmes already taken, the Bucs will be fresh out of luck to draft a quality Wide Receiver. Johnathan Joseph, CB, from South Carolina should be drafted as a possible replacement for one of two aging corners.

24. Cincinnati: They need another threat on offense, Marcedes Lewis, TE, from UCLA, should take care of their need for a pass catching TE.

They may take a quality CB or OLB if any of the above mentioned drop this low.

25. N.Y. Giants: We filled our holes at linebacker, stocked up on corners after losing Will Allen and resigned Tim Carter as one of our deep threat receivers. We should still pick up a CB/Saftey for security or even a speedy receiver to secure our WR corps, but at the 25th pick we have to go with the best talent out there.

Our O' line could use a good back up and future starter so our best bet is Eric Winston, OT, from Miami. By our second pick the best tackles will be gone so hopefully we draft one early. But if we don't, any quality receiver or corner from the ones listed above will be snatched up by Big Blue. Jason Allen, CB/S, from Tennessee is a likely prospect as well.

I'd still trade 2 draft picks and a player for A.J. Hawk...but thats just me!!

The rest...who cares...it's late, i'm tired and I finished my teams analysis.....good night!! :rofl:

Draft Tracker:

#Sel#TeamPlayerPos.Ht.Wt.School
11Houston Williams, MarioDE6-7294North Carolina State
22New Orleans Bush, ReggieRB5-11200Southern California
33Tennessee Young, VinceQB6-5228Texas
44N.Y. Jets Ferguson, D'BrickashawOT6-6313Virginia
55Green Bay Hawk, A.J.OLB6-1247Ohio State
66San Francisco Davis, VernonTE6-3256Maryland
77Oakland Huff, MichaelSS6-0203
88Buffalo Whitner, DonteSS5-10203Ohio State
99Detroit Sims, ErnieOLB5-11232Florida State
1010Arizona Leinart, MattQB6-5224Southern California
1111Denver (from St. Louis) Cutler, JayQB6-3225Vanderbilt
1212Baltimore (from Cleveland) Ngata, HalotiDT6-4337Oregon
1313Cleveland (from Baltimore) Wimbley, KamerionDE6-3241Florida State
1414Philadelphia Bunkley, BrodrickDT6-3307Florida State
1515St. Louis (from Atlanta through Denver) Hill, TyeCB5-9186ClemsonTexas

As a (the?) Saints fan, my happiness is mixed with trepidation. Will Bush fall to the Ricky Williams Syndrome, in which a decidedly talented big-name running back turns out to be irrevocably and completely batshit? Only time will tell . . .

Besides seeing 9 Hurricanes get drafted (including one in the first round continuing the longest such streak for any Division 1-A university in the nation), I was also pleased to see Winter Olympian and World Cup champion skier Jeremy Bloom get drafted in spite of the NCAA's decision that cut short his collegiate career at Colorado. Jeremy seems pretty pleased that it was Philadephia-- apparently his dad is originally from that area.

The story of my life!

On-topic: Let's hope that the Jaguars Pac-10 picks don't fizzle out like picks from that conference!

Back