Tresville for Prime Minister

Tresville

TNPer
I’d like to first thank the members of the region that nominated me for Prime Minister. I was not looking to run for this position again and was aiming towards any unfilled position where I could be of help.

Most of you know my history in TNP. I will not list my accomplishments and so fourth (most of them are already in my sig), it might seem like I am bragging. Please use this thread to ask me any questions, especially about my last term as Prime Minister. I am sure that a certain few still do not understand or like my past actions as PM….but I assure you that they are enjoying the results of those actions now.

I would like to inform those that like to bait me or push my buttons....I will ignore you, you won't get a rise out of me and I can assure you that (if elected) you will not be able to help outside regions get entrenched in TNP. Nuff said...now to the matter at hand.

If elected…my goals in a new term are as follows:

External affairs:

The past cabinets have succeeded in solidifying TNP’s identity and I am glad for it. We have steadily been loosening the grips on our foreign policy so that we can once again become an influential force in NS. This is something we must continue but not at the cost of our own identity.

I hope that the current endeavors in this thread (Click me) help to further open communications between the feeder governments. I would like to see the feeders work together on such areas as: a University, News reporting, and military aid. I hope to become very active in this to accomplish the goals mentioned in “The Center.”

Internal Affairs:

--- Every Cabinet has had to deal with Ministers leaving, going inactive or simply not doing their job. My past cabinets can tell you that I go to great lengths to make sure that every Ministry is handling their responsibilities…I communicate with all my Ministers and am always ready to jump in and help. In my last 2 terms I was forced to take on too many responsibilities left by inactive Ministers…something that many saw as power mongering (but this was not the case).

This time around (if elected) I will not be as intrusive on Ministers. Times are different and we have many members that are willing to step up and help the government where needed. I have no problem starting impeachment proceeding to keep a ministry active. We have to keep in mind that an active government increases forum and regional activity. Keeping our public services running is vital. We have a responsibility to our citizens, we must keep them informed and help them along however we can.

--- The constitution is something that many constantly complain about. As one of the leading authors of this document, I can tell you that it was made to be flexible. The constitution allows for changes to every aspect of the government and how it is run. If you have a problem with it…stop complaining and start proposing legislation.

I do not plan to be active in legislation as I was in the past. We have been blessed with some active Speakers who have done a stellar job. Though some people swear that “those who originally wrote the Constitution now protect it, to the detriment of the region” (Quoting Cathyy in Poltsamaa’s campaign thread), I can assure you that this is far from being factual. If you take a look at the constitutional convention you will see that few people participated in its actual composition. Many voted but few added sections to the document. The constitution we have has existed for a long time (since before the convention). We took the old constitution and mixed it with the suggestions of past and present citizens. I for one have not proposed legislation in a loooooong time and I don’t plan to. I will throw in my opinion if I see a proposal that will weaken the region…I expect all loyal citizens to do that. How can protecting the document that gives us our rights be detrimental? Trim it, streamline it, make it easier to read…I’m all for that…the constitution was made to grow and change with the region. I simply implore everyone, to make sure that the region is not weakened by legislation that will damage the Governments security. Understand that this is one of the ways to topple a government…weaken the constitution, allow outside influences to enter and become entrenched and then take over. We cannot allow this. I plan to use the PM system, ad boxes and threads to alert the RA’s about proposals that can harm the government. Hopefully we can stop any such legislation before it gets passed.

--- The NPA has been a big issue for the past few cabinets. Some want to scrap it, others want to revamp it…most of these members have rarely defended or are not really interested in the invading/defending aspect of the game. Military in NS is not like a real life Army…we need to understand how it works before we try to change it. Many never take the time to do so.

Lets be realistic people…TNP is not as interested as it used to in the defender game. Any active Defender will tell you that defending has been in a steady decline throughout NS. Defenders are turning invader just to keep active!! Do not blame MOD’s for that decline…it is happening everywhere.

During my VD endotarting I sent out countless TG’s to recruit for the army. I also payed for those ads that you see asking for citizens to join up….few have. When I was actively defending and commanding NPA…I had to recruit bored defenders and friends to join the NPA because few citizens could be up at update or just didn’t care for defending. The organization shared credit for successful missions with other defender groups…we never TOOK orders from any specific group...we worked together in unison to liberate or defend multiple regions. That is not a bad thing. It takes close to 10 members to properly coordinate such missions….and if you ask any defender who meets up on IRC to defend…they will tell you that we spot our missions on IRC way before they ever get posted in ANY forum. The NPA is one of the few areas where TNP has worked closely and successfully with other regions. I believe I can help to, at least, keep the NPA mobilizing frequently. I will be free to move my UN soon and can’t wait to kick some invader arse (no offense to Fedele..lol).

MOD’s have failed in publicizing successful missions (no disrespect). This is something I would like to change. Perhaps publicizing these victories will help to boost NPA participation. They have also failed in properly using the NPAA. Every citizen with a mobile UN should be in the NPAA…it is our standing army. This means it consists of citizens who can’t be up at update (but can make it sometimes) or citizens who are ready to mobilize against a threat to an ally (which can happen throughout a day and not specifically at update). It was created to prevent members from joining the NPA just to get its privileges (check the constitution). I will make sure that our next MOD keeps the NPA updated, organized and working properly as stated in the constitution.

--- The Arts and Entertainment section has always been the least problematic are of TNP. I see no reason to mess with something that is working well. I would however, like to seperate any of the Art related threads and The Mapping project and move them to the Culture and Education section of the forum. This will give the Minister of Culture and Education more to do and perhaps working with Thel and myself we can get that Ministry active.

--- The Ministry of Culture and Education has very little to do. This does not make it an attractive position to some. I stated above an idea to give this ministry more activity. If this happens I hope to work with Thel D' Ran in uniting the Mapping Project and the Flag Making Thread in an attempt to make the map more interactive (we have discussed this and still need to discuss it more). Details will be posted soon as we can get this organized. I have already approached Alhoma and others to see if we can get a team of artists to help create flags, forum banners and perhaps help other regions in designing their forums (creating forum icons, images and general help with css). I would also like to add a thread to help users with their comp problems..perhaps help to secure their comps from virus, trojans and ad/spyware attacks. We can't play this game without computers!!

--- The Communications department recently got a nice boost in activity due to the ads...this is great! But this department does not control one very important part of TNP...its news. The Wire is currently under the control of the MOCE as stated in the constitution. I hope to converse with the next Minister of Communications to change this...perhaps urge he/she to propose legislation to change this. If this is done (even if it is not done), we can get Ministers to post in the North Pacific News Central forum and in the Wire updates on Ministry happenings, any news NPA victories, etc etc. Let’s keep our citizens informed and active.

--- I hope to have a TNP economy conference a few weeks after elections are over and the gov is situated. Its first goal is to discuss organization of TNP's new finance system (thanks for that Hers). It's second goal will be: implementation of whatever system we design. What I hope to come out of it is a detailed system that does not put all the work on our admins. Hopefully, this will get citizens to use the system more..perhaps paying players to participate in the forum and gov will be something that will boost activity in the region.

People say that the region is slowly heading in a different direction…I disagree. We have achieved what we have sought out to do. TNP is no longer the weak Feeder that is easily toppled. We have outlasted our past alliances whose regions or organizations have fallen and have been rebuilt. Now with the game changes we have to remain strong and survive. Let’s stay the course, lets live up to our creed as the Largest and Greatest Region in NS. This is The North Pacific…You will hear us roar!!!

I have felt that one way to attract new active players in NP is the development of new ideas for involvement in different ways in the region. One element of Flem's platform in the last election was his proposal for the creation of a TNP University. I suspect for various reasons he did not get to pursue this worthy proposal, one that I felt would envigorate the Ministry of Culture and Education. Along with the developing TNP economic system (and the Bank of The North Pacific), is this an idea that you would embrace for development during your term, if elected again as Prime Minister?

Alhoma: Family Guy of Course!! I love Stewy

Gross: That is one of the topics in The Center forum. If that goes well we would have a University for all. I have not been active in any University in NS...so I am not sure exactly how that will be organized or if it will succeed. I believe the problem with that is that we would need teachers and such. Whatever people suggest to help TNP's community expand I will support and work on. So yes, I would embrace it.

--- The Communications department recently got a nice boost in activity due to the ads...this is great! But this department does not control one very important part of TNP...its news. The Wire is currently under the control of the MOCE as stated in the constitution. I hope to converse with the next Minister of Communications to change this...perhaps urge he/she to propose legislation to change this. If this is done (even if it is not done), we can get Ministers to post in the North Pacific News Central forum and in the Wire updates on Ministry happenings, any news NPA victories, etc etc. Let’s keep our citizens informed and active.
Now don't I feel stupid...

But anyway, good luck, Tresville!

--- Every Cabinet has had to deal with Ministers leaving, going inactive or simply not doing their job.  My past cabinets can tell you that I go to great lengths to make sure that every Ministry is handling their responsibilities…I communicate with all my Ministers and am always ready to jump in and help.  In my last 2 terms I was forced to take on too many responsibilities left by inactive Ministers…something that many saw as power mongering (but this was not the case). 

This time around (if elected) I will not be as intrusive on Ministers.  Times are different and we have many members that are willing to step up and help the government where needed.  I have no problem starting impeachment proceeding to keep a ministry active.

Does this mean, in respect of the above quote, that you intend to actually follow the Constutition this term?

You say you have no problems with impeachment to remove inactive Ministers and ensure continuing activity in Ministries, considering your failure to do so in your last term as PM, is this a change of position or merely a campaign 'promise'?

Polts...i'm sorry...I can't write Haiku's anymore...I get too sad thinking about the dissapearance of our good old friend GoalVA (may that persona rest in peace). :cry:

Does this mean, in respect of the above quote, that you intend to actually follow the Constutition this term?

You say you have no problems with impeachment to remove inactive Ministers and ensure continuing activity in Ministries, considering your failure to do so in your last term as PM, is this a change of position or merely a campaign 'promise'?
If your going to accuse me of not following the constitution...you should post some evidence of it..perhaps a court ruling or something. I believe during my term I did everything through legal means. No impeachment proceeding were held and all my decisions were upheld by the court of TNP. I believe I did or was about to start impeachment proceedings on you however...but this isn't your campaign thread so I will refrain from drudging that up.

As for your second statement...I believe I myself filled any empty Minister position until a replacement was found. I served as MOEA for a while I believe...weren't u the one who stepped in after the MOEA went inactive?

I believe the only promise I didn't keep was the disclosure of the NPIA documents in regards to the NPG and others...which I didn't do because it would have tarnished the reputations of more than 3 individuals...everyone kept talking about moving on....I did...I suggest otthers do so as well.

Please HC...no need to make up lies about me....that just aint cool brother! :no: :eyeroll:

Polts...i'm sorry...I can't write Haiku's anymore...I get too sad thinking about the dissapearance of our good old friend GoalVA (may that persona rest in peace). :cry:
Speaking to the dear departed from beyond the vail of the dead (my great-great-great-grandmother on my cousin's left-hand side was a romany gypsy), I have learned that GoalVA wishes you to answer the following question: "Could you give me your opinions on TNP's current political power in Haiku form".

grrr...Haiku's!!

The North Pacific
is like a phoenix rising
brushing ashes off

in other words our political power is on the rise. :clap:

As for your second statement...I believe I myself filled any empty Minister position until a replacement was found.  I served as MOEA for a while I believe...weren't u the one who stepped in after the MOEA went inactive?

I do not lie.

And you have just admitted what I was talking about. Both the MoD and the MoEA had deputies and, I don't know if you remember, but the only constitutional powers the deputies have- as far as I'm aware- is to take over when their respective Minister is inactive. However that did not happen, and as you say, you took over instead. Which is exactly what I am talking about.

So if I may repeat my question, considering your failure to do do in your last term as Prime Minister, do you intend to allow deputy ministers to take charge of their ministry should the minister in question become inactive?

Ok..perhaps your just misinformed.

If you recall...I didn't assume the position fully but had to step in because it was never clear what happend to Blackshear....and the PM has the power to do that...it is specified in the constitution.

The cabinet did not know if he was sick or something, if he retired, etc. Without some type of notice from Blackshear, you could not simply assume the role as MOEA because you would not have the power to vote in certain matters or sign off on a Embassy document...it is not specified in the constitution how much power a deputy gets in a Ministry. We usually left that up to the Minister to dictate...which in your case Blackshear never did. So, it was my job to help u get things done...and I believe we did that.

Blackshear was going to get impeached...however...I was advised that his nation would cease to exist prior to the whole impeachment process ending. So their was no point in starting that proceeding. He couldn't be a Minister if he was no longer a citizen...his deputy would assume the role..and that is exactly what happend.

If that rubbed u the wrong way...i'm sorry...but it had to be done. It was legal, well within my power and it was discussed with the cabinet.

If I had to do it again...yes I would. But I believe that matter was cleared up a while ago...in regards to the powers of the Deputies. So to answer your question....a deputy would take control of any duties that the Minister or the constitution gave him/her. If it is not specified or unclear, then we would get a clarification via a court ruling....to make sure everything is done by the books.

Anything else?

You are very good at selective answering Tresville, I'll give you that.

I do happen to disagree with you about the MoEA but there we go. Care to enlighten us about the MoD (or lack thereof) in that term as well?

Also, since your term is also marked by the refusal to give "raiders" RV status and the fact that we now have a number of raiders/invaders as citizens- even as Deputy Ministers- what are your thoughts on this? Does the self styled "invader murderer" intend to strip the rights of those invaders currently in the Regional Assembly, or has he now accepted their involvement in TNP? Also, how you feel about the possiblity of raiders serving as deputies, or even ministers, in your cabinet?

Selective? I answered your question perfectly, fully and honestly.

MOD, sure....I recall that the Minister was on sick leave. I was already leading the Army prior to that and was more active than the deputy. U know I love to defend. The deputy had no problem with it...it was Grim who gave me the go ahead to step in.

Refusal...ahem....u should read those threads again brother. I argued with BW and Fedele constantly about that. My point in that matter was that Invaders frequently go against the NPA...and the NPA is a gov office...hence their oath as a citizen would be null and void. I even told them how to get into the RV's...but of course..they refused to do that and preffered duking it out with me for their own amusement. The answer was simple...propose legislation to re write that section of the constitution...that would have allowed invaders into the RA. Problem solved...I wouldn't be able to do a thing about it. Please note that I advised both Fedele and BW to propose legislation...and even pointed out that many sections of the constitution would have to be revised with it. No one wanted to put the work in....I was not going to do it for them. Fedele is the only one who stepped up and did something (thank you). Fedele's proposal...click me. He remains an active member here and his influence has ...how do u say...enlightened me on this matter (i'd still kick your arse on a defense mission).

Just like the region...I grow as well...I am not as strict as I used to be on the invader issue because the citizens are no longer strict on it. At that time, it was very few people who were rooting for invaders...things are different now. Plus, keep in mind that during my term we had people attempting to overtake the delegate...and intel gathered suggested that invaders were being recruited to help. I was not about to sit idely by and allow people to influence our legislative branch to usurp the gov. Happy to disappoint in that matter.

I have no problems with invaders as deputies or Ministers...as long as they don't aim for the NPA offices (for the obvious reasons). The NPA code and many other sections of the constitution would have to be revised (and still need to be revised as I have said in the past many many times), in regards to invaders in the gov and as citizens.

Hope that answers your questions fully.

:clap:

Please note that I advised both Fedele and BW to propose legislation...and even pointed out that many sections of the constitution would have to be revised with it. No one wanted to put the work in....I was not going to do it for them. Fedele is the only one who stepped up and did something (thank you). Fedele's proposal...click me. He remains an active member here and his influence has ...how do u say...enlightened me on this matter (i'd still kick your arse on a defense mission).

I have one of those bad *feelings* again and this one I just can't seem to shake...

U probably missed your insulin shot.

**Cisco gives BW his shot**

U should be fine now.

Seriously though...I am not concerned about the invader issue...I still suggest you guys propose legislation to bring the constitution up to date. But that is up you.

I am more concerned about activity and getting more nations involved in the region and its forum.

P.S. I forgot to mention that the NPIA is now opening its doors to the public. I am currently helping the NPIA director in further organizing it and making public its rules and regs. Stay tuned.

P.S.S. Polts:

Invader Flip Flop
Never know which way to go
the art? still looking.

I'm assuming by 'open to the public' you mean anyone can be considered for joining, not it and all its dealings will be open to all?

edit - a rogue 'a'.

Tresville:
Seriously though...I am not concerned about the invader issue...I still suggest you guys propose legislation to bring the constitution up to date. But that is up you.

Well, out of general interest for the sake of my own hide and hair, lets just throw out a hypothetical and say that no one did propose the proper said legislation.

If that were the case what actions would be taken?
Why would these actions be taken?
And why were they not taken before?

Thankee for ya time, sir

No I would not have run. Like I said...I just wanted to take any position where I could be of service. MOD is what I was aiming for really.

He didn't want me to be PM again so got some people to beg him to run!! Tresville, the reluctant hero!! :P
Actually a few others didn't want you as PM..not myself specifically. Plus your statements on IRC helped in my decision....u were kinda calling me out...you must be phsychic...lol

I knew one of you or Flem would run against me!! Not really psychic, just applying general knowledge of how the region works!! ;)

Blue Wolf:
Well, out of general interest for the sake of my own hide and hair, lets just throw out a hypothetical and say that no one did propose the proper said legislation.

If that were the case what actions would be taken?
Why would these actions be taken?
And why were they not taken before?
Is there something wrong with these questions? Why will you not answer them? They are perfectly reasonable and would put to easy a few grave concerns I have.

Would you please answer them?

I didn't assume the position fully but had to step in because it was never clear what happend to Blackshear....and the PM has the power to do that...it is specified in the constitution.

Could you point me to where the constitution says that?

BW: my bad...I totally missed those questions.

1. I don't plan on taking any action to re write the constitution. The invaders in this forum should should take it upon themselves to do that.

2. The actions should be taken so that you have no further issues with the gov and constitution.

3. I don't know about others, but I did not take these actions before because I am not an invader, it is not my place....I proposed enough legislation during my tenure here. I suggested what had to be changed, i'd throw my opinion in here or there...but will not be the one to propose it to the RA.

DD:
The Prime Minister is the head of the Regional Government. The Prime Minister shall have such authority as is necessary and proper to exercise the powers granted to, or to execute the duties imposed upon, the Prime Minister under this Constitution, or by The North Pacific Legal Code, or by the other laws enacted pursuant to this Constitution, and subject to such limitations on those powers and duties established under this Constitution.
The PM's job is mainly to make sure that every Ministry does its job. That is why he/she is head of the government. This gives this position the power to step into a Ministry to fill any void necessary if the deputy minister is not granted that right by its Minister.

2) The Deputy Minister succeeds to the Minister's position on an interim basis until the next election should the elected Minister resign, vacate, or otherwise be unable to hold office.
Blackshear did not resign, did not vacate the position and we were not aware if he was unable to hold office or not. If a Minister never declares that he/she is "unable to hold office" he/she would be removed via impeachment proceedings....I already stated why this was not done in Blackshears case (but if Blackshear checks his pm's in s2 he should have a few pm's from me in regards to this matter). Blackshear had been absent before and returned with this post:

Sep 4 2005, 09:59 PM

"I would like to apologize for my absence this past couple of weeks. I'm trying to get back up to speed on what has occurred while I've been gone. I'm hoping that we'll return to business as usual by mid-week. "

In the case of the MOEA, no where does it say that the deputy has power to accept or decline its diplomatic documents (unless the MOEA specifically grants him/her this power). The Prime Minister does though:

Section 4. Political Relations.

A - The Prime Minister, with the advice of the members of the Cabinet, may negotiate and conclude treaties and other agreements concerning political relationships with other regions.

Section 8. Roles of Officials.

if the bill does not specify which officer is responsible for the enforcement or implementation of such law or other action, then the Prime Minister and Cabinet shall ascertain which Minister or other officer is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of the law or other action.
This was all done according to law.

oh....and its super secret Tresville section, article 5, clause C, HC. :lol: :rofl: :P :w00t:

This gives this position the power to step into a Ministry to fill any void necessary if the deputy minister is not granted that right by its Minister.
I don't believe any part of the Constitution states you may hold more than one office, regardless of circumstances. And the Deputy Minister is specifically there to replace the Minister if they are no longer able to serve. The Minister does not have to grant the Deputy the right to succeed him/her, it is specified in the constitution. Also wasn't/isn't one of your big campaign promises usually to impeach Ministers that are inactive and replace them?

Tresville:
Blackshear was going to get impeached...however...I was advised that his nation would cease to exist prior to the whole impeachment process ending. So their was no point in starting that proceeding. He couldn't be a Minister if he was no longer a citizen...his deputy would assume the role..and that is exactly what happend.

So you were going to wait an entire month? That does not sound like effective or efficient governance. Especially since you impeded the Deputy's succession, thus neutering that Ministry and making it so you held more than one office at once. Which is absolutely not legal.

The Constitution does say that you can appoint a person to run the ministry on an interim basis pending a decision by the RA, it does not say you can act as Minister for other Ministries.

What do you feel is the best way to deal with Seperation of Governmental powers and Administrative powers.

I make refrence to the recent discussion as to in what power did members of the board act in when dealing with a delecate situation with "The Pacific"

Do you believe that holding administrative powers over the entire board presents a conflict of interest in the running of the government?

I don't believe any part of the Constitution states you may hold more than one office, regardless of circumstances. And the Deputy Minister is specifically there to replace the Minister if they are no longer able to serve.
I believe I answered that query already. I stepped in to make sure the Ministry kept working. The deputy "replaces" the Minister if the Minister leaves....again...he did not officially leave!

The Minister does not have to grant the Deputy the right to succeed him/her, it is specified in the constitution.
I never stated that the Minister had to grant the deputy the right to succeed...either the Minister resigns, is removed as a RA due to nation ceasing to exist, or is impeached. That is specified in the constitution and I already pointed that out above.

Also wasn't/isn't one of your big campaign promises usually to impeach Ministers that are inactive and replace them?
Nope....I post goals...i don't do much promising. However, I did post this in my speech: The NPA and the Diplomatic Corps. need some higly active individuals and some very active Ministers. If I am elected to another term...I will devote much attention to these two areas. I will work with the newly elected Ministers to make sure that these two departments do not become inactive. Our current Ministers will probably tell u that I bothered them much during these past few months....I won't be letting up any time soon.

I believe I kept both those promises.

So you were going to wait an entire month? That does not sound like effective or efficient governance. Especially since you impeded the Deputy's succession, thus neutering that Ministry and making it so you held more than one office at once. Which is absolutely not legal.
I think you should read over what i posted above. Blackshear went inactive for a week or so in late august, early sept. He returned and posted (i already posted what he said). He went inactive again and it wasn't till he missed 2 cabinet meeting that we began to discuss what to do. HC himself pmed me about it (Sep 19 2005, 09:55 AM)...i still have the PM's if anyone wishes to see them. His nation was going to cease to exist in a week...so the impeachment process was halted because it would have taken a few weeks for HC to become official MOEA.
Section 5. Impeachment Proceedings.
Any action in the nature of an impeachment proceeding may not be brought once the current term of the officeholder expires, or the officeholder leaves office.
SO u see...if the impeachment procceding had occurred...it would have to be halted anyway.

I didn't "impede" as u say his succession...I spead it up. Between that time I kept things in that Ministry working. But of course...I don't expect you to point that out..or the fact that lil was done prior to me stepping in to help with those duties. What myself and the cabinet did was the most efficient direction. Whether you believe that or not.

I don't know where u get this "other month" from. We didn't discuss his absence (the second time) until after the 20th of sept. HC became Minister Oct 6 2005, 03:49 PM....thats way less than a month. :duh:

The Constitution does say that you can appoint a person to run the ministry on an interim basis pending a decision by the RA, it does not say you can act as Minister for other Ministries.
It says that the PM and CABINET appoint a person to run the ministry if said Ministry (and deputy position) is vacant...it wasn't officially vacant...I pointed that out already....WE decided that I would take over said duties until HC can take the position officially.

Sank you...anything else?

Back