Hate Wal-Mart???

Over here it's called ASDA. I've not been in an ASDA for a while, but they used to be fairly good. They're semi-autonomous from Wal-Mart though.

Hey, if people don't like Wal-Mart then they shouldn't shop there. It is a person's right as a consumer. Just like it is Wal-Mart's right as a business to maximize profit. We live in a capitalist society, deal with it.

This isn't directed at you Puckton. I'm just tired of hearing some of my classmates bitch about wal-mart because they read some book or watched some documentary.

Attention Wal-Mart shoppers! This just in:

BENTONVILLE, ARKANSAS:

Wal-Mart announced that they will soon be offering customers a new
discount item: Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest
retail chain is teaming up with E&J Gallo Winery of California to
produce the spirits at an affordable price, in the $2-$5 range.

Wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to throw a bottle of Wal-Mart
brand into their shopping carts, but "there is a market for cheap
wine", said Kathy Micken, VP of Marketing. She said, "But the right name is
important."

Customer surveys were conducted to determine the most attractive name
for the Wal -Mart brand. The top surveyed names in order of
popularity are:

10. Chateau Traileur Parc
9. White Trashfindel
8. Big Red Gulp
7. World Championship Riesling
6. NASCARbernet
5. Chef Boyardeaux
4. Peanut Noir
3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!
2. Grape Expectations

And the Number One name for Wal-Mart wine:

1. Nasti Spumante

The beauty of Wal-Mart wine is that it can be served with either white
meat (Possum) or red meat (Squirrel).

I like the big star they have between the WAL and the MART.
In Canada, they removed the star between the Wal and the Mart. Too "American" I guess. (They also toned down the greeters up here. We don't like overly friendly people in our face in Canada.) :lol:

I like the big star they have between the WAL and the MART.
In Canada, they removed the star between the Wal and the Mart. Too "American" I guess. (They also toned down the greeters up here. We don't like overly friendly people in our face in Canada.) :lol:
They've got greaters in ASDAs over in England now cos they're owned by Wal*Mart, and me and my Dad went in to a branch a few months ago before Christmas. This female member of staff came up to us and said "Hello". And we just stood there and said "Ey up, y'alright?". But that was all she had to say to us and she totally blanked us both and turned and said "Hello" to someone else who'd just walked in :blink: I couldn't stop laughing.

Sheesh. That's nothin'. Around here they're all over 70 and toothless and shove carts at you and get creepy cheerful.

Nothin' like a toothless old man who smells like Postum shoving a cart at you and sayin, "Have a nice shopping, l'il lady."

I've always assumed the overly-cheerful people I encounter are mentally-challenged in some way or another.

Hey, if people don't like Wal-Mart then they shouldn't shop there. It is a person's right as a consumer. Just like it is Wal-Mart's right as a business to maximize profit. We live in a capitalist society, deal with it.

This isn't directed at you Puckton. I'm just tired of hearing some of my classmates bitch about wal-mart because they read some book or watched some documentary.
DD -

Sorry to bring a serious discussion into the OOC threads, which may qualify as a capital crime, BUT based on my own little research into Wal-Mart, I have no trouble declaring it a monopoly in the truest sense of the word. And a monopoly runs counter to capitalism, free enterprise, and competition. And Wal-Mart, in my opinion, is the most fearsome monopoly in the history of America because they sell things that people use every day -- clothes and food especially. Microsoft has nothing on Wal-Mart: people buy computers and software far less than clothes and food.

Wal-Mart has a right to maximize profit, but not at the expense of their workers. Simply put, Wal-Mart workers aren't unionized, and that's not because they haven't tried, but rather because the corporation actively "discourages" such things from happening. Therefore, they can get away with having prices far below what similar stores charge.

Also, there are many areas of the US where shoppers don't have a choice OTHER than Wal-Mart. Or Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in the area. Not to mention many other people don't think about the economics behind this and simply see a good deal and grab it. I say to those people -- your good deal is someone else's misfortune.

Wal Mart is not the only megastore out there. There is such a thing as Target, so I disagree that it is a Monopoly.

Wal-Mart has a right to maximize profit, but not at the expense of their workers.

If the workers accept the treatment they get from Wal Mart (hiring on everyone as part time to avoid benefits, which is becoming common across the board) then they deserve it. If the abused masses of Wal Mart workers really wanted change within the company then they could affect it. That they don't is just an acceptance of the status quo, and generally lazy of them. Change can happen, but only if you get up off your ass, stop complaining, and start working towards an acceptable business model.

Wal Mart may be the largest retailer in an area, but it is most definitely not the only place people can shop by any means.

Wal Mart is not the only megastore out there. There is such a thing as Target, so I disagree that it is a Monopoly.

If the workers accept the treatment they get from Wal Mart (hiring on everyone as part time to avoid benefits, which is becoming common across the board) then they deserve it. If the abused masses of Wal Mart workers really wanted change within the company then they could affect it. That they don't is just an acceptance of the status quo, and generally lazy of them. Change can happen, but only if you get up off your ass, stop complaining, and start working towards an acceptable business model.

Wal Mart may be the largest retailer in an area, but it is most definitely not the only place people can shop by any means.
I honestly am surprised you're comparing Wal-Mart to Target. Target doesn't have two-block superstores that sell food.

The workers don't really have a choice for change. Consider the following scenario. Wal-Mart moves into a neighborhood and starts selling food to compete with the local Albertson's. Cashiers at Albertson's that were getting a union wage of $15 are all of a sudden laid off because Albertson's can't compete. What do these people do? Surely you don't suggest they rely on their other marketable skills and get a computer programming job? To suggest that they are really in control here diminishes how powerful Wal-Mart is. In the above example, those cashiers only have training as cashiers. Guess what? They're forced to work at Wal-Mart for crappier pay, because hey.. it's still a job and it's better than unemployment.

It's not just the Wal-Mart workers -- there's a fallout effect. In the above example, suppose that local Albertson's was in a shopping center (as many supermarkets are). Now, with reduced traffic to Albertson's, the local mom-and-pop stores also in that center receive less traffic -- some of them are forced to go out of business.

And I'm not just talking about hiring people part time. There are stories from ex-Wal-Mart workers who tried to unionize their store and were treated harshly. Would you, as a manager, deny bathroom breaks to someone who tried to unionize your store?

People don't think Wal-Mart is a monopoly because it has such low prices. I ask those people: ever stop to think about how Wal-Mart became the largest single retailer in the world with such low prices?

They don't just pinch their workers either -- they pinch from the other end. Suppose an oscillating fan sells wholesale for $10. Other stores pay that price and sell the fan for $15 retail. Wal-Mart comes in and tells the wholesalers: I want to purchase that fan for $7. Most wholesalers balk, but there's always at least one who agrees. Wal-Mart gets the fan for $7, sells it for $10, still makes a profit. That wholesaler who took the deal because Wal-Mart is such a huge source of business then has to do things like ship HIS workers' jobs overseas so HE can make a profit off the fan sale.

To suggest it's simply a matter of whiny workers getting off their asses truly shows a lack of understanding of this whole situation.

I used to believe that too..

Frankly, other monopolies in history were overthrown when they jacked up prices and consumers balked. Here, NO ONE is balking. That's the problem. Even if I hate Wal-Mart and shop somewhere else, another 99 people will shop there because they don't think about the consequences.

Even poorly treated Wal-Mart workers aren't balking as much as they should -- if they remove the company from their town, w here are they going to work?

I'd like to wonder what you yourself would do if you were a poorly educated person with minimal marketable skills and you only knew how to work in retail (and by retail I'm not talking about Macy's). Sure you could try to get another job at another retail store, but lo and behold they're not accepting new employees because they have to compete with Wal-Mart.

I'd like to wonder what you yourself would do if you were a poorly educated person with minimal marketable skills and you only knew how to work in retail (and by retail I'm not talking about Macy's). Sure you could try to get another job at another retail store, but lo and behold they're not accepting new employees because they have to compete with Wal-Mart.
I'd burn the mother down. Or use their mistreatment as justification to steal all sorts of things.

Goodlord. That reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer gets hired at Sprawl-Mart.

And he and the other workers steal everything at night after being locked in.

I honestly am surprised you're comparing Wal-Mart to Target. Target doesn't have two-block superstores that sell food.

Ummmm. . .

But I am also not a big fan of the WM, if for no other reason than they are the one (US-based) retailer larger then my employers. . .

Edit - qualifying statement.

Ummmm. . .

But I am also not a big fan of the WM, if for no other reason than they are the one (US-based) retailer larger then my employers. . .

Edit - qualifying statement.
:rofl: @ "Tasty price"

Sorry, I've hardly had any sleep so I find that rip-roaringly side-splitting.

Back