Gun Control

Okay, I thought this area looked like it needed some more life so, I get to pick a topic.

I'm an NRA member and avid supporter of the 2nd Amendment. Being a woman, I believe every woman should be able to carry a weapon and more importantly, know how to use it.

Let's hear your thoughts. I'm curious about people's stance on this and why.

Hmm, interesting.

I think theres going to be a certain cultural bias in my (and probably other) responses.

As a Brit, gun ownership isn't really an issue. Legitimate gun ownership is low, and we don't have the cultural background to consider gun ownership as a right. I personally have never had any particular desire to own one, nor to use one. From a home/personal protection point of view I'm not sure if I'd feel safer or not, and from a sporting point of view, we tarmac'ed over most of our huntable animals long ago. If more open gun ownership were proposed here I would probably be against it, but I wouldn't say that means I would support tightening gun controls anywhere else.

I think that made sense...

I'm in favor of every American owning a gun (felons/crazies obviously excluded), and I'm also in favor of those and every other weapon being registered with the government.

Unrestricted gun ownership is asking for it, IMO.

I am for the ownership of guns like OP said but I strongly disagree with women being allowed to have them. We let them drive and look what that did! Now you want them to have guns!? :no:

I am for the ownership of guns like OP said but I strongly disagree with women being allowed to have them. We let them drive and look what that did! Now you want them to have guns!? :no:
You are asking to get beat with a trout! :fishattack: in fact two :fishattack: .

I'm in favor of every American owning a gun (felons/crazies obviously excluded), and I'm also in favor of those and every other weapon being registered with the government.

Unrestricted gun ownership is asking for it, IMO.
Historically speaking, mandatory government registration of privately owned firearms inevitably leads to wholesale confiscation by the government.

The problem I have with law abiding private citizens being required to register their firearms is that it does nothing to make criminals register their firearm. As for any other weapon being registered, that would inevitably include everything from nail clippers to scissors being classified as weapons. Woops! The PATRIOT Act already did that.

All humor aside, look at firearms registration and other forms of licensing as a whole - has it done anything to prevent criminals from obtaining firearms? Absolutely not. The only thing registration and licensing has accomplished is to force law abiding citizens to be treated as criminals for exercising their 2nd Amendment rights (in the US, of course).

In some states, anyone law abiding citizen wishing to purchase a firearm must be fingerprinted, photographed, and rectally examined (metaphorically speaking :D ), a process usually reserved for criminals on their way to prison. No free society should treat law abiding citizens like criminals for wanting to exercise their constitutional rights.

Of course, criminals are exempt from firearm registration because they don't obey the laws. Registration of firearms always leads to confiscations schemes - just look at Australia, Canada, the UK and US states like New Jersey. And all that registration and confiscation of firearms from law abiding citizens has not only accomplished nothing in the way of keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals. In fact, it has only assured that criminals will have defenseless victims to prey upon.

There's also an old adage that governments prefer unarmed peasants. Governments also do nothing to actually disarm criminals, and instead focus their efforts on disarming law abiding citizens.

We live in a funny country in the US - we teach sex educations and pass out condoms and teach our kids all about drugs and how to fornicate with each other in a semi-medically safe way; we have drivers' education to teach them how to drive a car (hopefully); we teach them to read and write so that if they ever want to exercise their freedom of speech they can do so, yet we don't teach them firearm safety or their responsibilities under the 2nd Amendment.

I'd love to see mandatory firearms safety courses in public schools in which children are taught to handle, maintain and properly use firearms. That way there will be no excuse for anyone effing around with guns. Also teach them that if they do commit a crime, with or without firearms, that they will have to pay the price for screwing around.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's all a cultural thing. But it isn't actually about firearms at all. It's about personal responsibility and knowing that for every action there is a consequence. Western civilization is getting weaker in the sense that we have lost the will to punish criminals in a fashion that is equal to the crime committed.

Not too long ago, it was the general expectation that murderers, rapists and other thugs were hanged for their crimes. Instead, today we give criminals free room and board, TVs in their cells, weight-lifting gyms, college educations, designate them as 'victims of society' or as being 'misunderstood', we 'rehabilitate' them (ha-ha) and then let them out on the street again to rape, pillage and whatever yet again, and again, and again, all at a very high price in tax money and the lives of their past and future victims.

We've got some moron, murderous thug like Stanley Tookie Williams (see: Clemency countdown continues for Crips creator who busted into a hotel room back in 1979 and gunned down a mother, father and daughter - all for $100. Jesus H Christ! For $100!!

Now we have the weeping, whining group-hugging bleeding heart types saying that because the guy has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for his anti-gang books, his life should be spared. Well, Stanley Tookie Williams should have thought about that in 1979 when he blew the heads off three innocent people because he wanted to steal $100 from them. The SOB got sentensed to death in 1981 and has been waiting 24 years to get his just desserts, all on the tax payers' tab and all while his victims rest in pieces in a hole in the ground.

And did gun registration in California and gun licensing do one damned thing to keep this moron from getting a gun and killing people? No, not at all. In fact, if his victims had been armed, the story might have been a little different.

Point being, that criminals will always get guns no matter how much the government harasses law abiding citizens with inane regulation of the 2nd Amendment rights.

I own many firearms, I am licensed to carry concealed in my state (and we can carry sidearms in a holster in public without licensing or registration as long as it is visible) and I am happy to have my 2nd amendment rights in tact. There have been more than one occasion in which merely having that firearm saved my life without a shot having been fired. If I didn't have a firearm, I wouldn't be here right now.

If American society is violent, the solution is to remove the criminals who commit violent crimes from society and not prevent or restrict law abiding citizens from defending themselves. I hate to say it, but since the abolition of public executions in the US, would-be criminals have been deprived of one of the major displays of what happens to violent criminals.

If we really wanted to save lives, let's ban automobiles and require police to have IQs higher than 20.

/rant :B):

Well, Roman's statement was long and informative, and like all long and informative posts around here, it merits a response :D

Firstly, I don't wish to get on the subject of Stanley Williams since the news here in California has been saturated with that. My personal view of this situation would comprise a whole other topic on the death penalty in general, so I won't open that can of worms here. However, I would like to say that if Williams' victims had been armed, perhaps they would be the ones appealing for clemency from the governor instead of Williams.

The oft-quoted statement is that guns don't kill people, people kill people. The logical fallacy in that argument is that guns are the instrument by which people are killing themselves. To me, it's not a liberal issue or a conservative issue, it's a medical issue. Any weapon that can shatter bone and burst internal organs deserves to be wiped off the face of this earth. And for those of you who disagree with me and are proud gun owners, I have no problem with that: I would merely request you spend a few days in a busy trauma center and count the number of gun-related incidents from supposedly "law-abiding" citizens that somehow snapped. I have friends in medical school that have had to repair such holes in people, or have had to watch it done. It's been said that we should focus on cracking down on criminals getting guns. Hey, I'm all for that.. If we did that, then in theory, we'd get rid of guns completely because EVERYONE has the potential to be a criminal at some point. Law-abiding citizens CAN and DO snap. A common accidental death is one spouse killing or severely injuring another. Many of these happen with guns, and I'd bet my bank account that a lot of these deaths werent' from "serial criminals" killing their spouse, but rather by normal people who had a gun and used it harmfully in one weak/crazy moment.

Secondly, in my mind the 2nd amendment argument is fallacious. If we want to trace the history of the 2nd amendment, initially it had nothing to do with personal gun ownership. The spirit of the amendment was to ensure that localities could raise militia to defend themselves during the Revolutionary War. It was about communities arming themselves in times of war, not the right of each person to buy guns. Indeed, I would further argue that the "gun heritage/culture" of places such as the Wild West have been trumped up and glamorized by the media. In actuality, there were far less of these gunfights/saloons/all this other crap you see in the movies. Not everyone on the frontier owned a gun; not everyone on the frontier went out and shot his dinner. Many were ex-traders, ex-bankers, ex-farmers, ex-businessmen who had never used a gun in their life because they came from the big cities on the Eastern seaboard. That's precisely the reason they went West -- to get some more free space for themselves. They didn't just suddenly develop the habit/skill of using guns to shoot critters. Not only that, there were far less frontier/Wild West type settlements in reality than are depicted in movies.

All this adds up to what I'm trying to say: basically that guns are dangerous things. Some would call me a bleeding heart for this, but based on what I've seen and heard medically, I would call myself a REALIST. I don't care if you know how to use a gun safely until the cows come home.. I work with chemicals a great deal and I think I know how to use them extremely safely. That doesn't mean I take a bottle home with me. And these chemicals are safer than guns. They may burn your skin off, but they won't blow a hole in your body.

I will not pretend to be knowledgeable of guns and their place in American society, either culturally or legally.

Here's what I do know:
  • The United States has 10 times more people than Canada.
  • The United States has 100 times more murders than Canada.
  • Guns are more readily available in the United States than they are in Canada.
If someone has a rational explanation for these figures, I'd love to hear it.

P.S. It's not tougher sentencing. Canada has neither the dealth penalty nor sentences in excess of 25 years.

Edit: Fixed an error in magnitude. :blush:

Crime rates among women are rising...

Again, do we REALLY want to give them guns? :ermm:

However, as for men, I have different opinions.

Pro-guns

Why:

In Texas, you hear all the time about someone who's house got broken into. The difference between here and states with stricter gun laws? You also hear about how the home owner gunned the punk down. You don't hear about how a family was shot up by some Crips piece of crap; you hear about that walking piece of society's filth taking a shotgun round to the chest and being knocked back out the door. You hear about how 'Daddy' was a hero and how his Winchester saved his family. You hear about 'Daddy' improving the genepool, not losing his place in it. Same thing for convenience stoors. I would like to see a graph that shows what percentage of convenience stores get robbed in Houston when compared to other cities. I mean SUCCESSFUL robberies. They keep shotguns under their counter and a handgun on their thigh. All crooks know that. You see on the news from time to time about how a thug took two to the chest tryin to rob a convenience store.

Don't get me wrong, women can have weapons too; just not guns. Maybe tazers or those cute little wooden swords. That's good enough, right? We don't want them to hurt themselves.*

Well, Roman's statement was long and informative, and like all long and informative posts around here, it merits a response  :D

Firstly, I don't wish to get on the subject of Stanley Williams since the news here in California has been saturated with that. My personal view of this situation would comprise a whole other topic on the death penalty in general, so I won't open that can of worms here. However, I would like to say that if Williams' victims had been armed, perhaps they would be the ones appealing for clemency from the governor instead of Williams.
And there's a general problem with society, or rather the legal system that you have just pointed out: the victim is often turned into the criminal by bleeding heart idiot lawyers and prosecutors. We have warped judges and prosecutors and police who ponder the thought of what exactly did that woman do to provoke some poor victim of society to rape her? Or, well, why did you provoke that burglar into robbing you by daring to own something that he wants to steal?

There is something very wrong with out society when it tries to deny its law abiding citizens the means to defend themselves against violent criminals and then turns the victims into criminals and treats criminals of victims.

The oft-quoted statement is that guns don't kill people, people kill people. The logical fallacy in that argument is that guns are the instrument by which people are killing themselves. To me, it's not a liberal issue or a conservative issue, it's a medical issue. Any weapon that can shatter bone and burst internal organs deserves to be wiped off the face of this earth. And for those of you who disagree with me and are proud gun owners, I have no problem with that: I would merely request you spend a few days in a busy trauma center and count the number of gun-related incidents from supposedly "law-abiding" citizens that somehow snapped. I have friends in medical school that have had to repair such holes in people, or have had to watch it done. It's been said that we should focus on cracking down on criminals getting guns. Hey, I'm all for that.. If we did that, then in theory, we'd get rid of guns completely because EVERYONE has the potential to be a criminal at some point. Law-abiding citizens CAN and DO snap. A common accidental death is one spouse killing or severely injuring another. Many of these happen with guns, and I'd bet my bank account that a lot of these deaths werent' from "serial criminals" killing their spouse, but rather by normal people who had a gun and used it harmfully in one weak/crazy moment.

Automobiles can shatter bones in an accident. When a drunk driver kills someone is the answer to prosecute the car he is driving? Cars don't kill people - drunk drivers do.

I hear people moan and complain that a gun killed someone. How exactly did that gun do it? Did it float along in the air in direct defiance of the law of gravity, aim itself and then pull it's own trigger? I don't think so. Someone pulled the trigger and that someone is the responsible party. The tool they choose to use is immaterial.

To hold a 'gun' responsible for the actions of a person is tantamount to holding a rape victim responsible for being raped. How dare she be a woman and provoke that rapist!

Secondly, in my mind the 2nd amendment argument is fallacious. If we want to trace the history of the 2nd amendment, initially it had nothing to do with personal gun ownership. The spirit of the amendment was to ensure that localities could raise militia to defend themselves during the Revolutionary War. It was about communities arming themselves in times of war, not the right of each person to buy guns. Indeed, I would further argue that the "gun heritage/culture" of places such as the Wild West have been trumped up and glamorized by the media. In actuality, there were far less of these gunfights/saloons/all this other crap you see in the movies. Not everyone on the frontier owned a gun; not everyone on the frontier went out and shot his dinner. Many were ex-traders, ex-bankers, ex-farmers, ex-businessmen who had never used a gun in their life because they came from the big cities on the Eastern seaboard. That's precisely the reason they went West -- to get some more free space for themselves. They didn't just suddenly develop the habit/skill of using guns to shoot critters. Not only that, there were far less frontier/Wild West type settlements in reality than are depicted in movies.

Your argument is not even specious. Yes, the Second Amendment to the US Constitution directly applies to personal firearm ownership. "The Right of the People to keep and bear arms" - the term "People" means private citizens. If it doesn't, then you have no right to free speech because "The right of the People to peaceably assemble, etc." would by your logic only mean the 'state' as an insitution.

The very fact that private citizens have always owned firearms is proof of the meaning of the Second Amendment applying to individuals. Historically speaking, the second amendment has always applied to private ownership of firearms and if you care to read Thomas Jefferson's comments on the nature and purpose of the Second Amendment, you would understand that.

You've apparently bought into the leftist 'gun culture' propaganda being puked out by the proponents of the 'nanny state' theory of government - that people must be saved from themselves and the government must do that. The only thing the people need to be saved from is the government.

Also carefully note that the right of the people to revolt against their government is carefully outlined in the Declaration of Independence as historical precedent as to the purpose of the Second Amendment: "That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

If private ownership of firearms was not the intent of the Second Amendment how would the people throw off a government that has sunk into despotism? The whole purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to preserve the right of the people to defend themselves against aggressors, be they criminals, invaders or the government itself should that become neccessary.

Remember, dictators and oppressors prefer unarmed peasants. A man with a gun is a citizen; a man without a gun is a subject.

All this adds up to what I'm trying to say: basically that guns are dangerous things. Some would call me a bleeding heart for this, but based on what I've seen and heard medically, I would call myself a REALIST. I don't care if you know how to use a gun safely until the cows come home.. I work with chemicals a great deal and I think I know how to use them extremely safely. That doesn't mean I take a bottle home with me. And these chemicals are safer than guns. They may burn your skin off, but they won't blow a hole in your body.

Of course guns are potentially dangerous if abused or misused. Then again, so are drugs and so are automobiles. Pot, heroin, cocaine, etc., have been banned yet they flow freely throught the streets. What makes anyone think that banning guns will suddely make guns go away or abuse of guns vanish? We have laws against murder and assault. If we ban all weapons then you can expect to have your hands and feet amputated because they too can crush bones and kill.

While that last point may be hyperbole, it presents a painfully obvious truth: guns don't pull their own triggers, someone has to pull that trigger.

If we are to believe your argument, then we can say that drunk drivers don't kill people, alcohol does. So, let go back to prohibition of alcohol and have another go around with the likes of Al Capone. Or better yet, let's take away everyone's automobiles because they are instruments of death in the hands of drunk drivers.

We never hear in the news about the million or more times each year that firearms save lives - that would go contrary to the propagandan and agenda of the gun grabbing totalitarian types. Given the historical track record of governments like Nazi Germany who disarmed their citizens, I feel a lot safer with law abiding citizens being armed than being unarmed against thugs and oppressors. If you think it can't happen in America, you're wrong.

This is exactly what I think about the idea of disarming law abiding citizens:

Who do you want to exterminate?

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1928, Germans established gun control. From 1939, to 1945, 13 million Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally ill, and others, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to1953, approximately 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1935, China established gun control. From 1948 to 1953, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1956, Cambodia established gun control. From 1975 to 1977, one million "educated" people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1964, Guatemala established gun control. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1970, Uganda established gun control. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

That places total victims who lost their lives because of gun control at approximately 56 million in the last century. Since we should learn from the mistakes of history, the next time someone talks in favor of gun control, find out which group of citizens they wish to have exterminated.

:D

Just a note that a response will be forthcoming with many studies cited. I hope no one thinks I'm going quietly on this one.

The leftist view of gun culture eh? Apparently anyone who speaks out on guns as a public safety issue is automatically a leftist hippie.

Automobiles can shatter bones in an accident. When a drunk driver kills someone is the answer to prosecute the car he is driving? Cars don't kill people - drunk drivers do.
I'll use this as a starting point here. There are many logical fallacies in this line of analogy, the first of which is that cars, in my experience, are more tightly regulated than gun sales. After all, you need to pass a test before you can drive a car; I know of no gun seller who makes you pass a safety test before buying a gun. Secondly, and most importantly, cars have proportionally more SAFETY checks built into them than guns do. Many of you may have heard of the report in the magazine Mother Jones where it was reported that four federal safety standards apply to the making of teddy bears but none exist for gun manufacture (1994). Even simple things such as an indicator to show whether the gun is loaded or not is not universal.

I agree with those in New Scientist (July 13, 2003) who stated that the injuries and deaths caused by guns is "a public health crisis" and needs to be tackled "with the same vigour as infections diseases ... and industrial and traffic accidents". Note that they said traffic accidents there -- of course no one is talking about banning cars: again, cars have more proportional safety features than guns, licensing is stricter, and cars are just simply harder to use as weapons.

And there is a correlation between such safety features and accidental deaths/injuries. To cite Robert Ismach's study at the Center for Injury Control (Emory University Rollins School of Public Health): "32 percent of unintended shootings in the US are caused by deficiencies in gun design".. ONE THIRD.. "Such injuries, which kill over 800 people each year including 150 children, could be prevented if all new handguns incorporated basic safety features".. Lest anyone thinks this is his own opinion, his research cites a National Opinion Research Survey finding that 59% of gun owners agree that guns should be personalized.

To further address the issues of "safety" as a reason for buying a firearm -- family members with histories of buying guns from LICENSED dealers were 2X as likely to die in a suicide or homicide as people with no such family history and this risk continued for more than 5 years after the purchase of the gun (Am J Pub Health, 1997). In addition, the same study provides evidence that a gun purchased for "self defense" is more likely to severely injure a FAMILY MEMBER rather than the criminal. Also, WWW mentioned the argument that she was a woman and felt she needed protection. I cite the following: having a gun in the household makes it 3X more likely that someone in the family will be killed, with a specifically high risk for women (N Eng J Med). This from the Archives of Internal Medicine: the risk of SUICIDE amongst women increased nearly 5X and the risk of homicide more than 3X if there was a gun in the household. I suppose I too would feel safe with those numbers.

Up until now I have been presenting public health data, which I hope doesn't fall into the category of leftist gun culture, but I will now turn to the politics. Roman mentions a right to protect oneself in this fashion (using a gun). I'm sorry, I thought that's what police forces were for. Police forces and security guards are the means by which society is protected against violence. Oh I know, "but the police are incompetent".. Well maybe we should look at treating THIS problem instead. I find it somewhat amusing that the police have to go through intensive training in order to use their weapon, but any civilian, even myself, can buy the same or similar weapon without such training. I ask who is better equipped to handle a potentially dangerous situation (with specific references to the studies cited above). The ATF reports that EIGHTY percent of guns recovered by them were originally sold legally by licensed retailers. Gee, maybe some career criminals are stealing the guns of "law-abiding citizens". Wow, that IS a revelation.

Let's move on to the thorny 2nd amendment argument. Quoting directly from the Constitution: "A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Notice that that pesky phrase "a well-regulated militia" is in this amendment. It does not say "The right of each person to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". Rather, it says that the right of people in general to organize themselves for protection and to use arms in that endeavor shall not be infringed. It is not a far stretch to say that the current-day police force and the former-day militias serve a similar purpose. Oh I'm sure people will say that everyone had a gun back in those days and that's where this all originated. Yes, many people had guns BACK IN THOSE DAYS. They also did many other things, like convict people of being witches (perhaps an exaggeration, ie a century before, but the general idea is there). Of course, if you state that you're living as a true colonial, I have no problem whatsoever with you owning a gun and using it. Of course these are all subject to interpretation, but a few closing comments.

Perhaps the justice system is skewed these days as Roman suggests, but what about in 1939? In sustaining the Constitutionality of the National Firearms Act of 1934, the Supreme Court held that there is no blanket right to keep certain guns. Certain weapons including shotguns, are not "any part of the ordinary equipment... [that] could contribute to the common defense." Of course they skirt the issue of all types of guns, but for an argument about that I refer to the public health studies cited above.

One last public health/public safety study: National Institute of Justice case study in Kansas City, 1992-93, found that in a 29-week experiment where officers were assigned to work in one part of the city that was predominantly nonwhite and where the crime rate exceeded national average by 20X. During these weeks, all they did was confiscate illegal weapons: seizures of illegal guns climbed 65% in this area and gun crimes declined 49%. Other non-gunrelated crimes remained the same in this target area as well as a control area of the city. Also significant: "there appeared to be no spillover of crime from the target area to surrounding areas".

Now, I invite anyone to comment on the public health/public safety nature of the comments I made above. Anyone can debate political interpretations such as the 2nd amendment until the end of time -- I've said all along that my stance is primarily a public health one. Perhaps there are too many left-wingers in public health today.. that might explain these statistics.

There are good arguments on both sides of the issue, and I have enjoyed the debate and the viewpoints presented here.

I think in the US, the 2nd ammendment is pretty clear. Citizens have a right to own guns.

However, as conservative as I am, I think on a practical level, it's a really bad thing. I have 3 young kids and I wouldn't ever have a gun in the house. I don't even like my son to go play over other kid's houses where I know there are guns around. Accidents can happen, with horrific consequences.

With the "guns don't kill people.." slogan, there's something about it that doesn't sit quite right with me. Maybe because it is just too easy to kill someone with a gun as opposed to other weapons. You have to be pretty mad to kill someone using a knife, a baseball bat, a frying pan, etc... Maybe it has something to do with having an ex who's a marksman with a bad temper, but I think owning a gun would be just asking for trouble.

Maybe it has something to do with having an ex who's a marksman with a bad temper

Yea... that may have something to do with it...

If I were married with kids, no, I would not have a gun. Married without kids or single? Hell, gimme ma boomstick!

Just a note that a response will be forthcoming with many studies cited. I hope no one thinks I'm going quietly on this one.

The leftist view of gun culture eh? Apparently anyone who speaks out on guns as a public safety issue is automatically a leftist hippie.
To wit:

Secondly, and most importantly, cars have proportionally more SAFETY checks built into them than guns do. Many of you may have heard of the report in the magazine Mother Jones where it was reported that four federal safety standards apply to the making of teddy bears but none exist for gun manufacture (1994). Even simple things such as an indicator to show whether the gun is loaded or not is not universal.

QED, my point is proven about the leftist nature of the anti-second amendment program.

The whole problem with your argument is that you are citing so-called studies that have the agenda of denying US citizens of one of their basic constitutional rights. That only leaves the question as to what rights are next?

The next problem is that your agument expect that the government's job is to save everyone from themselves and that an elitists few have the right to dictate to everyone what is best for them. That is the seed of totalitarianism.

Up until now I have been presenting public health data, which I hope doesn't fall into the category of leftist gun culture, but I will now turn to the politics. Roman mentions a right to protect oneself in this fashion (using a gun). I'm sorry, I thought that's what police forces were for. Police forces and security guards are the means by which society is protected against violence.

Gun culture, gun-schmulture. That's a loaded chant designed to warp the facts and to elicit a bogus emotional response instead of a logical one. Face it, the police can't be everywhere all the time and I don't think that any of us would want to live in a society where police where everywhere all the time watching everyone all the time.

Let me give you an example of the specious nature of your 'that's what police are for' argument. Someone breaks into your house and is trying to kill or otherwise harm you. Do you really thing that you are going to say to the criminal, 'er, excuse me, be a good chap and stand there while I call the police?' Reality doesn't work that way. The average response time for police to show up is now in excess of one hour. To expect that criminals will wait for the police to show up, you're sorely mistaken.

What you're 'that's what police are for' argument presumes that we hand over all of our own responsibility and rights to an all-pervasive police state. That's insanity, unless you like having the KGB up your butt 24/7.

The only reason we don't live in a totalitarian soviet style regime in the US is that the government has a historically justified healthy respect for armed citizens.

Your 'militia' argument is also bogus. The phrase "The right of the People" means you, me and every other law abiding individual as individuals. It doesn't mean the state. If we were to accept your 'militia' argument which directly means that the 'People' means the government as an institution, then you, me and everyone else have no right to freedom of speech, because the 'Right of the People' to peaceably assemble belongs to the government and not individuals.

Once again, you have swallowed the gun-grabber agenda hook, line and sinker. I have a 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. I also have the right to not have the government dictate to me what's best for me when my ownership of firearms threatens no one other than criminals bent upon criminal activity. I resent the government or anyone else having the utter arrogance to think that they have the right to tell me what is best for me. If someone doesn't feel that they are responsible enought to possess a firearm then they shouldn't have a firearm, but I get really, really irked when morons like Senators Schmuck Schummer and Diane Fineswine, who both own firearms and carry firearms, projecting their own insecurity upon me and then wanting to take my arms away from me. A pure case of politicians prefering unarmed peasants.

GBM makes a very interesting point on this issue. Some people think that owning a gun is a bad idea in the first place. If they are making that decision for themselves, that is fine, but I don't think that people have the right to make that decision for others who think it is a perfectly good idea to own a firearm if one wants to do so.

Everyone forgets the now documented 3,000,000 times each year a privately owned firearm saves someone's life. And this is a well documentent fact. I believe that not only the NRA, but numerous other organizations have produced the same fact in independent studies.

Alone, in my county of 7,000 people, no fewer are 20 criminal intruders and assailants stopped or thwarted in their activities each month by the mere threat of being shot by their vicitims without a shot ever being fired. That's 20 people who would most likely be dead or worse had they not had the means of defending his or herself (mostly herself).

The whole 2nd Amendment issue goes beyond the 2nd Amendment - it applies to all the amendments. What if some politicos in Washington, DC decided that unregulated and unlicensed free speech was a bad idea and that free speech should be regulated with federal licensing? What if there was a ten day waiting period before anyone could speek freely in the press and only after generally arbitrary government approval?

The issue involves where we as law abiding citizens draw the line and tell the government where to get off. If the government can limit our rights, reserved or otherwise, on one point, it sets the precedent that they can limit all other rights in the same fashion. And they will. To paraphrase George Washington, government, like fire, is a wonderful servant but a dreadful master. When we allow a government to deny citizens the basic human right to selfe defense, we are only abrogating all our rights because if you have no ultimate means to preserve our freedoms, we may as well just give up and let the government decide everything for us from cradle to grave. We've see what happens historically when people do exactly that.

My personal advice to all those who are against firearms is to go and join their local gun club and learn how to operate them and see that 99.99999% of law abiding private gun owners use their firearms in perfectly legal and beneficial activites like target shooting, self defense, etc.

I took a buddy of mine who was a dyed in the wool gun-grabbing lunatic down to the range a while back. After a day of target shooting he went out and bought himself a target rifle because he enjoyed marksmanship after that. Now he owns about 20 guns. He hasn't shot anyone yet nor will he ever.

Again, I don't ever intend to be so insane as to rely on anyone other than myself for my own protection in immediate situations. I like to be above the turf instead of dead waiting an hour for cops to show up.

You can't get drugs off the street by illegalizing them, what makes anyone think that you can do the same with firearms? You keep the guns out of the hands of criminals by keeping the criminals locked up, not by denying law abiding citizens their constitutional rights. Criminals will always be able to obtain guns illegally; it makes no sense to disarm the law abiding and give the criminals free hand to attack the defensless.

If you don't own a firearm and a criminal knows it, and I do own a firearm and the criminal knows it, whose house is going to get robbed first?

My legal ownership and ability to carry a sidearm as a private citizen has saved my life more than once and has saved the lives of others more than once. I and those other people are very glad that I had the right to be armed. More than once I have assisted law enforcement personnel as a private citizen and otherwise in dangerous situations. Those police were very happy to have someone who was a great deal better at combat arms than they were to assist them in such emergencies. :D

Roman -

Simply because I disagree with you, I am portrayed to have "fallen" for some kind of "bait". This alone implies I don't have a free mind of my own to think, and that's probably more outrageous than the actual opinion you present. The opinion you present is one I respect; however, what is the seed of totalitarianism is when someone tells me that my opinions are really not my own and I should instead listen to someone else's.

If you suggest me to go to my local gun club and learn how to use it, I again suggest for you and every other gun owner to spend a week in a trauma center. You can validly say that I don't know your side of the argument; to that I respond that you don't have any inkling of my side of the argument. You may think you know the political side of the argument, but you have no idea, quite frankly, of the public health ramifications of the argument.

I don't expect the government to save everybody; I'm not a hippie who wants to ban all guns. I do expect the police to do a BETTER job than they're doing now. And it goes to what you pointed out in your post - police response times are terrible. But the question is this -- is the solution to improve this response time, or is the solution to arm everyone in the population with their own firearm? I will point out that the spirit of self-reliance doesn't mean that one is an island in society unto oneself.

To close, I've honestly enjoyed this discussion. I see that there are many people on this forum with whom I do not agree on this issue, and that's fine. I would never want any of you to change your opinion on this issue if you didn't truly believe it. But having said that, I've presented all my points in a detailed and thorough manner as possible, and I really have not much else to say on the subject. Thank you for reading.

I've spent a lot of time in trauma centers both as an observer (per sa) and as a recipient of injuries. 99.99% of what I have seen has nothing to do with firearm related injuries. Most of it has to to do with automobiles, freak accidents and stupidity.

I know and have seen what firarms can do to a human body. I also know what a carelessly dropped chainsaw can do, or what a car driven by a drunk can do.

Then again, I agree that every firearm owner should spend a weekend observing a trauma center. In fact, I couldn't agree more! I also think that everyone who drives an automobile or drinks or engages in permiscuous sex with total strangers or does intervenous drugs or any illegal drugs do the same. That way, they can learn that every careless action they engage in involves consequences.

The point is that firearms are a minescule 'public health hazard' in comparision to the general, run of the mill items that send people to the emergency room of a hospital.

As for the police - I would be willing to wager that the majority of gun-shot wounds and deaths in the US are inflicted by law enforcement personnel that by any single class of people. But I'll bet that no one keeps any statistics on how many people the police kill, accidentally or intentionally because it would blow the anti-2nd Amendment people's arguments out of the water.

Look how many people are killed by firearms by governments as a result of war. Then look at how many people are killed by privately owned firearms owned by law abiding citizenst. Then look at how many criminals kill people with firearms. Clearly, without any possible argument, government owned guns have killed more people (millions and millions in the 20th century alone as a point of fact) than firearms owned by law abiding people. Clearly, if you want to reduce firearm inflicted deaths and injuries by 99.99%, what you want to do is to disarm governments, not private citizens. Think about it.

[on edit]

The American Indians at Wounded Knee were killed by government owned firearms.

Save lives! Disarm the government!

To claim that America has a higher gun murder rate because of a violent history is false.

I, for one, would say that Germany or Japan have more violent histories than the US. They both have lower gun murder rates.

Then again, I agree that every firearm owner should spend a weekend observing a trauma center. In fact, I couldn't agree more! I also think that everyone who <snip> does intervenous drugs or any illegal drugs do the same. That way, they can learn that every careless action they engage in involves consequences.
If you do drugs and you do not know the consequences of your actions, you deserve what you get. IMO. However, if you do drugs and you realize that everytime you do them you may be taking a huge risk with your life, and if you are willing to understand those consequences... Why not?

[/ :offtopic: ]

Then again, I agree that every firearm owner should spend a weekend observing a trauma center. In fact, I couldn't agree more! I also think that everyone who <snip> does intervenous drugs or any illegal drugs do the same. That way, they can learn that every  careless action they engage in involves consequences.
If you do drugs and you do not know the consequences of your actions, you deserve what you get. IMO. However, if you do drugs and you realize that everytime you do them you may be taking a huge risk with your life, and if you are willing to understand those consequences... Why not?

[/ :offtopic: ]
:iagree:

I'm so conservative that I tend to be somewhat of an anarchist. I don't believe that the government (or anyone else) should interfer or limit anyone's rights as long as they harm no one else.

I'm 100% in favor or all law abiding citizens to own and possess firearms as long as they don't harm others except in self defense and defense of property. Once someone uses a firearm in an irresponsible and illegal fashion, they should be toast.

Agreed but I think that it is the responsibility of companies to put some safety mechanisms on guns. Perhaps, like Wizard said, something that says whether it is loaded or not and something that makes the guns safer to clean. I think that if things like that came out, there would be a demand for it.

I don't think the government should require it, though.

Back