TWPs now an oligarchy

I don't think TNP is a textbook oligarchy. Oligarchies are usually tyrannical in nature. Influence/control here is more subtle than that. I ran for AG and won, and I am definitely not an insider. Mind you, no one else ran in that election. But I will say that sometimes popularity wins over experience.

I would guess patronage plays a part in appointed positions though. It's a good way to gather supporters and build consensus on pet issues. ;) I'm not accusing anyone of that, but to deny it happens is naive. *cue the usual 'service to the region' retort*

RPI:
I'm just mentioning it because that is an instance where the "non-oligarchy" candidate won. I (and I guess you're saying Elu, too?) am one of the exceptions to your belief.
It could've been that people were willing to give you a chance. COE was/is more than qualified for the Speaker role. Tbh, I was disappointed that you disappeared shortly after winning the election. Now you're back in a Cabinet role. Claiming to be a political outsider is a bit much I think. You at least have the current Delegate's confidence/endorsement.

He also came back at a fantastic time - I knew Asta was planning to head for the court, and was too busy to be an effective manager for the diplomats, whereas Myro was interested in returning to it.

RPI was a senior member of the Home Affairs Ministry before he vanished originally, so I took it as a sign from [Violet] that it was preordained.

falapatorius:
RPI:
I'm just mentioning it because that is an instance where the "non-oligarchy" candidate won. I (and I guess you're saying Elu, too?) am one of the exceptions to your belief.
It could've been that people were willing to give you a chance. COE was/is more than qualified for the Speaker role. Tbh, I was disappointed that you disappeared shortly after winning the election. Now you're back in a Cabinet role. Claiming to be a political outsider is a bit much I think. You at least have the current Delegate's confidence/endorsement.
Well, I wasn't making such a claim. Flemingovia hinted that I wasn't part of his idea of TNP's oligarchy; that is why I said what I did.

RPI:
Flemingovia hinted that I wasn't part of his idea of TNP's oligarchy; that is why I said what I did.
I did not hint any such thing. Hinting implies subtlety, and I think I was fairly clear.

flemingovia:
RPI:
Flemingovia hinted that I wasn't part of his idea of TNP's oligarchy; that is why I said what I did.
I did not hint any such thing. Hinting implies subtlety, and I think I was fairly clear.
Oh, okay, Flemingovia was clear that I'm not part of the oligarchy. :P

Gracius Maximus:
We should declare war on TWP.

Also, GBM, you know you wish I could be Delegate of TNP again.
And after we have done that, also declare war on TP and slowly tumble down all those who do not have the one system we want them to have!!!

Elegarth:
Gracius Maximus:

And after we have done that, also declare war on TP and slowly tumble down all those who do not have the one system we want them to have!!!
Why are you TWPers so obsessed with TP?

Johanness:
Elegarth:
Gracius Maximus:

Everyone is obsessed with TP. It's a thing.

TP stole my hat.

TWP stole my chocolate.

TEP forcefed me cake.

TSP took my drink and threw me out of the bar.

:cry:

^Not. :p (This was a reference to GM's post)

Anyway, oligarchies do not have to be tyrannical, though I suspect Elu's disdain for calling TNP stems from such sentiment.

I call TNP an oligarchy because the thousands of TNP nations are controlled by the few of us here on this forum. That's not a value judgment it's a relative fact. TNP's oligarchy is not exclusive nor is it hard to enter the way that it is in TWP or TP. But I do still believe that we in TNP fit the definition of an oligarchy in that we're a small (relative to the number of nations in TNP) group of people (unelected by the masses) who control the region.

But for Elu's sake I'll say this we strive to be the most democratic region as much as we can. The barriers to entry that Flem described are more cultural/political than anything.

Johanness:
Elegarth:
Gracius Maximus:

Lol, we aren't. Those obsessed with TWP are also obsessed with trying to create some sort of shadow conjunction between TP and TWP. Is quite funny! Or at least those who don't try to link TWP to the EMPIRE or to somewhere else...

Anyway, what PD said. His words are wise. All the regions in NS have some sort of oligarchy.

I'm surprised at how many people do try to link TP and TWP... maybe something to do with how they're so different from the other three feeders in terms of government and how they run themselves.

St George:
I'm surprised at how many people do try to link TP and TWP... maybe something to do with how they're so different from the other three feeders in terms of government and how they run themselves.
I guess it could be that, or the fact that some of TWP delegates were once TP senators (Darkesia, Me) or friends of TP (WestWind, for example).

But is a very weird thing, since most of the time those of us who embrace TWP can rarely see other places as we used to...

[me]shrugs

In the end people will think whatever they want to think

Can we say that the TWP is an Elegarchy then?

*bad pun*
*runs away*

:D

Elegarth:
I laughed, lol.

And not, it isn't. Is TNP an Elugarchy?
I'd call it an animalocracy.

The current animal in charge is an old raven wearing a crown and calling itself Joshua for some reason.

Before him was a thread of silly string, and before her/it was a turtle. Before that was a gorilla, IIRC, and before that was a lion; and before that was a penguin. Before the penguin was the lion that came after, and his terms were separated by that of the penguin.

Syrixia:
Elegarth:
I laughed, lol.

The current animal in charge is an old raven wearing a crown and calling itself Joshua for some reason.

Before him was a thread of silly string, and before her/it was a turtle. Before that was a gorilla, IIRC, and before that was a lion; and before that was a penguin. Before the penguin was the lion that came after, and his terms were separated by that of the penguin.
May it never be ruled by a giraffe in a silly hat.

Cronaal:
Syrixia:
Elegarth:
I laughed, lol.

May it never be ruled by a giraffe in a silly hat.
:evil:

Elegarth:
So we could even call it a Zoogarchy?
It'd be a "Zooarchy", not "Zoogarchy".

I keep seeing people adding the "g" in variations of "oligarchy", but that doesn't make sense etymologically.

"Oligarchy" has two parts: "olig-" coming from "oligos" or "oligoi", meaning few; and "-archy" from "arche", meaning power or rule. Both are Greek.

For the record, it'd also be "Eluarchy", or maybe "Eluvarchy", but not "Elugarchy". "Elegarchy" would be fine, but with the "g" coming from "Elegarth", not from "oligarchy"

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine :P .

Elegarth, please write out 100 times "I will not add the letter G into words ending in -archy, unless the root word has a G in it." and present your work to r3naissanc3r before registration tomorrow morning.

Lord Ravenclaw:
North East Somerset:
Lord Ravenclaw:
I confess, I already knew. I've never found a reason to care - The West Pacific is capable of making its own decisions and I for one respect that. They have their way, and we, in the North, have ours. :tnp:
A shame such enlightened thinking didn't prevail during the Balder situation last year. :P
Balder abolished, at that time the only constitutional body capable of ratifying treaties - the very body which had ratified our treaty. The treaty with Osiris went the same way in 2013.
This is incorrect. The Riksdag was suspended, but it wasn't abolished. It was eventually replaced via the Storting.

falapatorius:
But I will say that sometimes popularity wins over experience.
To be fair, I think popularity often correlates with experience. If you do things well and aren't a jerkbag, people tend to get good impressions of you and that makes it easier to rise into other roles. There aren't a ton of people who are well-liked for doing jack-shit.

Actually, I can even think of at least one time where perceived experience won out over popularity and competence. :mellow:

As for the question of the G, I propose we dissolve our democragarchy and replace it with a mongarchy, perhaps one ruled by our lord Flemingoviga as a theocgarchy. All in favor?

SillyString:
falapatorius:
But I will say that sometimes popularity wins over experience.
To be fair, I think popularity often correlates with experience. If you do things well and aren't a jerkbag, people tend to get good impressions of you and that makes it easier to rise into other roles. There aren't a ton of people who are well-liked for doing jack-shit.

Actually, I can even think of at least one time where perceived experience won out over popularity and competence. :mellow:

As for the question of the G, I propose we dissolve our democragarchy and replace it with a mongarchy, perhaps one ruled by our lord Flemingoviga as a theocgarchy. All in favor?
If anyone's gonna be monarch, it's gonna be either me or JAL. :lol:

Back