mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
Lol. Just joking.

I have noticed that people often have the habit of posting a long thread about their retirement and who they would like to thank (their Mum, their dealer, etc). More often than not it seems that they fail and return to NS before the week is out. Often the very next day, they're back on the gameplay forum or irc as normal.

So I was curious, how many people in TNP have tried to retire from the game and failed completely?

Yeah :(

Did you make a big retirement thread though? I kind of just remember you disappearing one day. The people who just slip away seem to stay retired the longest.

I didn't make a thread. Didn't see the need to and at the time I wasn't in the right place to thank the people that, if I were going to make a thread, that i should've thanked.

Of course some of those people then proved that they weren't worth thanking at all but that's another story (and one that presumably will be removed from history in certain places ;))

I did once, back in early 2012. I managed to stay completely off the game for about six months. Then for three of months I was checking IRC to keep in touch with the community, without actually participating in the game. And after that, I slowly started getting involved again, until two-three months later I was back in the game full-time.

Here is my retirement thread from Euro: http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia/topic/1270881/1/ . I had posted a copy of it in TNI (these two then being my main regions), as well as very brief notices of citizenship resignation in Balder and TRR.

Nierr:
I didn't make a thread. Didn't see the need to and at the time I wasn't in the right place to thank the people that, if I were going to make a thread, that i should've thanked.

Of course some of those people then proved that they weren't worth thanking at all but that's another story (and one that presumably will be removed from history in certain places ;))

The joys of it all ;) well i am very glad to have you here and that you're still checking in despite the DOS situation.

Egalotir:
You scared the crap out of me Mac

I enjoy doing that.

r3naissanc3r:
I did once, back in early 2012. I managed to stay completely off the game for about six months. Then for three of months I was checking IRC to keep in touch with the community, without actually participating in the game. And after that, I slowly started getting involved again, until two-three months later I was back in the game full-time.

Here is my retirement thread from Euro: http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia/topic/1270881/1/ . I had posted a copy of it in TNI (these two then being my main regions), as well as very brief notices of citizenship resignation in Balder and TRR.

Did you actually believe you would be able to stay away? XD I think it is too tempting for people when they check in. When I leave I will simply slip away and that will be it ;)

I'll give that thread a look over when I'm on a comp. Damn thing isn't viewable to guests :(

I thought about retiring a few times.

The first time was when I left the NPA. The second time when I failed to raid Anarchy. The third time when PEF failed to capture NE. Fourth time when Unibot tried to remove me from EPSA. Fifth time when Roman and Astarial were in direct conflict. Sixth time when I emigrated to The Lexicon.

There are always failures and people to give you a hard time, and that's not the problem. The problem is having no friends to turn to; or having people who seem supportive but don't actually respect you because you have never earned their respect.

I choose to stay because I have achieved nothing.

I tend to make them only to deal with practical concerns and also just to tell people where I've gone...I've tried to leave a few times but nothing works better than not actually being able to cope with the game emotionally.

I'm not sure that I have ever posted a thread about it, but I've definitely gone on long hiatus now and again. :)

The most recent time I came back there was some upstart from Australia with a McDonalds themed name taking over the region with his popularity and good looks.

Democratic Donkeys:
I'm not sure that I have ever posted a thread about it, but I've definitely gone on long hiatus now and again. :)

The most recent time I came back there was some upstart from Australia with a McDonalds themed name taking over the region with his popularity and good looks.
:rofl:

I'm glad you said the most recent time you came back... rather than the most recent time you left :P

I take breaks every once and awhile, usually prompted by RL issues coming up and requiring my attention. Never felt like I "had" to quit since I've always been able to put the game aside whenever life demanded it.

You're too young to retire, McM, even from NationStates.

Most people just vanish without a trace (at least in game terms), like Tresville (who I am sure will surface again in the near future).

What ever happened to Heresford? I am bummed I never got to meet him. I spent an evening lurking on old blue...he stopped playing and apparently wrote articles on wikipedia for awhile.

Romanoffia:
You're too young to retire, McM, even from NationStates.

Most people just vanish without a trace (at least in game terms), like Tresville (who I am sure will surface again in the near future).
I'm not retiring. I'm too young!! Still plenty to achieve!!

I have nearly quit, or tried to quit three times:

Once at the end of the Pixiedance war, when I was burned out.

Once a few years ago when I had had enough of the game.

Once just recently when i decided that i was too old to put up with the asshattery of a certain player.

On each occasion i found deciding to leave was a lot easier than actually leaving.

Great thread title McM. Nothing like giving mum a heart attack.

I've drifted away on occasion, cte'd several times, quit a few times, and even once I lost the game.

i saw McM...and said, "nooo!!"

punk!

I tried retirement and it did not last. I consider myself semi-retired but if life slowed down for me a bit, I think i'd make another run in some region or other.

I got missed from like three different people's lists who then thanked me/left messages later on.

[me]is still a rampant narcissist.

flemingovia:
I have nearly quit, or tried to quit three times:

Once at the end of the Pixiedance war, when I was burned out.

Once a few years ago when I had had enough of the game.

Once just recently when i decided that i was too old to put up with the asshattery of a certain player.

On each occasion i found deciding to leave was a lot easier than actually leaving.
Yes, but you have to not retire or give in with class and conviction.

Personally, I never give in, just like my personal hero:

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L90BCEVH41U[/flash]​

:hello:

North East Somerset:
I think I partially retired once, during a period of low activity.

I did not make one of those corny thank everyone under the sun posts though.

Hell, they should be thanking me... :P

:ph34r:

I can't imagine you being the corny guy :P Disturbing thought.

Back